The US doesn't have a passenger rail syste-

>The US doesn't have a passenger rail syste-

Other urls found in this thread:

thehill.com/policy/transportation/270612-amtrak-protests-move-to-prioritize-freight-trains
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

ahahahaha columbus isn't a stop
fuck you columbus

We do but it's shit, rail and public transportation in general is shit in America. Also too much of the system is prioritized for freight (which is perfectly understandable but they have no money to make new track specifically for passenger)
I just want public transportation on par with Japan (with mostly American aesthetics like some older ones we had)
I know we could have it spending was properly focused on it and if they made it easier for private rail companies to spring up

>mfw the California High-Speed Rail costs 68.4 billion and won't be finished until I'm well within my forties

Centralia to Vancouver is a pretty comfy ride tbqhwy

We have an MTA station in my town and I've taken the train down to NYC a few times. The Northeast corridor is probably the most developed rail system in the US but it pales in comparison to other nations. It's hard to make a new high speed rail network in the Northeast because it's already so densely populated, it would be very expensive. I mean, we have Amtrak's Acela express up here too but it can't operate much faster than the Metro North until there are track upgrades to support the higher speed.

>Chicagoland
>literally everyone connects to us
Feels fine bros

You don't have high speed rail system, that's what people say.

But the way most of your cities are build today, with a dead center and huge suburbs, makes it less attractive.

That's why trains work in the area around New York.
Or take Europe. A train from Cologne to Frankfurt connects their most expensive quarters in less than an hour while it still serves hundreds of thousands of people in a short distance to the stations. In The US you would need way too many suburban trains and trams and all that kind to connect to the main station. So air planes with taxi service will be faster for a long time.

Something to do with the mob or some shit that made it that way.

Don't forget you have O'Hare too. It's pretty much THE hub airport in the US, well it and Atlanta.

ATL gets more traffic than us, and I'm okay with that. So long as we remain above LAX.

Nah, mob shit is about local developments. I think Chicago became a rail hub because it was the last major city before the plains and the gold rush. Fur trapping already established the town long long ago

>entire states with one or less lines running through it
>that northern route from Wisconsin to Washington that stops at 100 literally who towns with 30 people in them
what a piece of fucking shit

I used this to go from NYC to LA
pretty comfy overall except for going to Niagara Falls when the train froze

>it's about population
You realize resources are as important as people?
Fucking shortsighted urban faggots

>the absolute STATE of Wyoming

>pretty comfy overall except for going to Niagara Falls when the train froze
Was it like Snowpiercer?

That's just one rail system too. There's several smaller ones which fill in the gaps.
>but muh intercity public transit
Walk nigga

Everyone has seen hobos and junkies getting kicked out of a train outside of SLC in movies

depends, in Snowpiercer does a 9-hour train journey take 14 hours and when you finally get off all the taxis are already gone and you're left abandoned in the snow at quarter to midnight?

You don't stop passenger trains for cargo...

Same rails freund

thehill.com/policy/transportation/270612-amtrak-protests-move-to-prioritize-freight-trains

But I want to be able to travel around my state without paying for gas. Who cares though, it would just end up becoming a cattle car system for transporting nogs like Greyhound buses are now.

>mfw we're getting euro style trains this fall

49 states BTFO

Naw it's cool, you guys deserve to have rail shuttles for Brazilian tourism

Designed in Europe
Built in California by illegal Mexicans
Paid by a private company here in Florida

fuck you, you fucking Cuban Jews

I know, we also have shared tracks here. So the only reason there are stations in these places is that cargo trains can pass the passenger trains there?
Interesting. Our cargo trains have to wait for even the smallest trains.

Pic related is our higher (blue) and high speed rail network (red)

(((private company)))

Kinda
In snowpiercer the ride never ends and when you finally get off all the civilization is already gone and you're left abandoned in the snow at quarter to noon

Nice map. Cargo has always been at odds with passenger in the USA. I grew up in a town that had a junction of 4 train tracks, and it'd frequently take me 20 extra minutes or longer to get to school if there was a cargo train (or else I'd have to go through our underpass)

I lived near a hub, though, so it was quite a mess

Pic related.

Nigga they been operating here in Florida since 1885.

It still is only higher speed rail with a maximum of 200 km/h or 125 mph. That's what my hometown of 25k people has.

I know that. My current town has two separate marshaling yards, lies on the main east-west
connection of Europe and connects a large steel yard to the south. I always take a detour to use bridges and tunnels to at least be able to plan my arrivals.

>amtrak
>not shit

Atlanta's airport has a high passenger volume because it has a lot of regional connections. So for example, if you want to fly from Little Rock to Birmingham, Alabama, your flight will stop in Atlanta first.

Also, Atlanta is the only major passenger airport in the Atlanta region. In Chicago, O'Hare + Midway have more passengers than Hartsfield-Jackson. The busiest system overall is the NYC region, which has (I think) 6 large passenger airports.

How irrelevant are Wyoming, South Dakota and 3/4 of Idaho?

Yellowstone and Mt. Rushmore are pretty relevant imo

Are the only 10 million passengers per year in New York?
That's equal to just 20 days on any of the largest 3 stations here.

Pic related: Tel Aviv station. They just started modern rail services in Israel 10 years ago. So it's never too late.

>it'll never actually be built

Those are the numbers for Amtrak, the national passenger rail system. The busiest train station in New York (Penn Station) has about 220,000,000 passengers per year for the different train systems.

Makes sense.

Why is it so hard to build new lines anywhere? We have the same problems here with new ones. Everybody thinks they would be great, but please not too close to my house, but not too far away either. Oh, and please let somebody else pay for it. And protect those poor birds and bugs and that very rare moss.
I fucking hate it how democracies suck at infrastructure. Just look at China or even collectivists like Israel. They plan and build in a few years.

america fucking sucks are public transport, and their shitty laws won't change that any time soon.

>Why is it so hard to build new lines anywhere?
The price of the land the State would have to buy along with land owners refusing to sell.
>Everybody thinks they would be great, but please not too close to my house, but not too far away either.
This reminds me of something I heard about the CHSR. Apparently we had French experts telling the State that it would be cheaper to build through the desert than it would through the current proposed route, however they declined it in fear that it would not attract people to use the rail. Not sure how true that story is though.

Aren't domestic flights pretty cheap for Americans? If they are relatively similar I fail to see how people would rather trains unless they have certain phobias or doing it for the scenic /atmosphere factor.

>two cities that are within an hour of me have them

Had no fucking idea tbqh

The French have a different approach to rail. We try to connect all places and direct the route therefore through all towns. They don't care about medium cities and just connect two major cities without any stop in between and lay the route through the cheap land. The geography is more centralized than our, though.

In the end, trains have roughly an equal share in both countries.

>tfw rail is slower than cycling
Public transport in Croatia is suffering.

and it's 100% garbage.

Just ask Brussels. The EU loves trains

Ask what? I've been there and loved it.

It looks underdeveloped as fuck.

yeah but its just not as fleshed out as other cunts

norway isn't that great either, this isn't even all of the country...