How do northern Europeans get so tall while practically starving themselves...

How do northern Europeans get so tall while practically starving themselves? Pic related is the typical Dutchman's breakfast. While the American fixes himself a three egg omelette with cheese and avocado, the Dutch man eats this literal children's breakfast of bread with chocolate sprinkles. At lunch, when the American is wolfing down a quarter pound of beef plus fries, the Dutchman eats this yet again, replacing the sprinkles for a dainty slice of cheese and a smear of butter. Then, at dinner time, while the American feasts on an entire frozen pizza, the Dutch man will, if particularly peckish, have some mashed potatoes with a bit of kale.

The end result: the Dutch are the tallest in the world, while Americans are midgets compared to other developed countries. How does this work? The calorie deficit is ridiculous

Other urls found in this thread:

oxfam.org/en/pressroom/pressreleases/2014-01-15/dutch-beat-french-and-swiss-top-oxfams-new-global-food-table
youtube.com/watch?v=7VAJTl7tez8
rnw.org/archive/war-crimes-suspects-tortured-dutch-prison-food
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

why can't americans comprehend that quantity != quality?

I use to think this was a meme until I stayed with a friend in the Netherlands.

>breakfast: jam on bread
>lunch: nutella on bread
>dinner: sprinkles on bread

Some days they would have salmon or ham and cheese on the bread.

Africa tier

Dunno. Why do americans have to eat so much that having a slice of bread seems like starving yourself?

I also add that this bread was the sliced processed American loaf you can find all over the world, which was confusing because in virtually every large European supermarket I visited, that was a bakery producing traditional European breads.

I thought the Europeans were snooty and look down on Americans for eating kraft singles and sliced bread, but they eat as much of it.

>starving themselves
A slice of bread with butter and cheese on it is 200 calories. Two of those is the perfect amount of calories an adult should consume during breakfast.

The problem is that overconsumption has been normalized in the US to the point where a healthy portion is completely foreign to you.

Dutch drink a lot of milk which combined with genetics is what makes them tall (calcium + growth hormone)

why are americans such manlets? so many of them have german and british and southern european and even scandinavian ancestry, yet they're barely 5'10?

but really though I don't know, tallest people are the fucking balkanlar in the mountains and they're piss poor eating whatever shit they can get

Nutrition is largely irrelevant to height as long as you aren't starving. Americans simply have inferior genetics, especially compared to the fucking Dutch who may be the most genetically superior of any people.

We eat sandwiches for breakfast and for lunch, however, we don't eat just one of them. 3-5 of them for breakfast and 3-5 of them for lunch is common. And normally, at least in Norway, we don't eat them with chocolate sprinkles.

Idk, the normal height come and my friends is like 5'11-6'2" and we are in Maryland, ask the other states

It varies a lot from place to place. You can't use the US national average since it's generally dragged down by non-Europeans (who on average are shorter).

t. D*tch in the US

would actually be nice to see the numbers for americans who are of european descent and see their numbers, and only them not """caucasian""" mexican included

this makes the most sense 2bh
>implying height equals genetic superiority
but a lot of tall guys I know marry short women, and while that doesn't stop them from having tall kids, it doesn't stop short ones either. Tall couples can have short kids too but its pretty uncommon unless the grandparents were short. There's just more diversity

Height isn't related to nutrition. It comes from sexual selection.

height is fairly well correlated with protein consumption though

Same. But in cities or poor areas Im usually taller than most people, and im unironically barely 5' 10"
t. maine & floorduh

>Nutrition is largely irrelevant to height as long as you aren't starving
That's wrong. Romans didn't starve themselves, but they were still short because stuffing yourself with bread and some veggies was not nutritious enough.

The increase in average height over the past 200 year is due to nutrition.

>tfw both my parents are short as fuck but I'm king of the manlets at 180 cm

>It comes from sexual selection.

>Galton observed that extreme characteristics (e.g., height) in parents are not passed on completely to their offspring. Rather, the characteristics in the offspring regress towards a mediocre point (a point which has since been identified as the mean). By measuring the heights of hundreds of people, he was able to quantify regression to the mean, and estimate the size of the effect. Galton wrote that, “the average regression of the offspring is a constant fraction of their respective mid-parental deviations”. This means that the difference between a child and its parents for some characteristic is proportional to its parents' deviation from typical people in the population. If its parents are each two inches taller than the averages for men and women, on average, it will be shorter than its parents by some factor (which, today, we would call one minus the regression coefficient) times two inches.

We normally don't eat bread for dinner. Unless it's soup with bread.

and what is the logic when the child is taller than both the parents, one being average height and the other above average?

I'll just leave this here.

>The Netherlands is No. 1 in the world for having the most plentiful, nutritious, healthy and affordable diet, beating France and Switzerland into second place.
oxfam.org/en/pressroom/pressreleases/2014-01-15/dutch-beat-french-and-swiss-top-oxfams-new-global-food-table

It's a statistical pattern, not a law of nature.

whoa that's so impressive

This kills the foreigner.

rip foreigners

Stay short

youtube.com/watch?v=7VAJTl7tez8

Time for McDonalds. I wonder what they have in the Netherlands.

IDK either Op. How do you see European bodybuilders and other big guys and they eat a slice of bread for breakfast while I'm 140 pounds and eat enough food to feed a village for lunch and can't gain a pound.

It literally kills the foreigner.

rnw.org/archive/war-crimes-suspects-tortured-dutch-prison-food

Because this hedonistic lifestyle of smoking pipes and eating crepes started this generation. In 100 years they will be as fat and disgusting as you.

Nah, we'll continue eating our children and astronaut food.

alot of skinny people here eat like 10 sandwiches per day then gobble down on (kwark) for the rest of the day and in the evening eat a big plate of potatoes and sausage with some kale or sauerkraut

>sauerkraut
Foreigner please.

Notice how I used the present tense. No modern first worlder will have any nutritional deficiencies that would impact height, unlike ancient Romans who didn't have supermarkets.

zuurkool

correlation =/= causation

bigger people = more protein consumption needed

I don't have breakfast.
I wake up at 6h15, at 6h30 I'm already in my car for my 1h daily commute.

true but that's a ratio of consumption and I'm sure the authors checked for correlation with general intake of other macronutrients

you're "sure"?

that's a chart probably taken way out of context

this just reminded me
I eat hardly anything compared to my parents, but I also drink whole-milk and that seems to make a difference in how much I eat. I tried skim milk for a while and I ate like a pig the whole day.
But I doubt most people get skim milk anyways

In Europe I think it's half-skimmed milk that is consumed the most.

and are you northern european or dutch?? why u posting this

I thought it was my blog, I always type in the bad window.

>Average American Height
>175cm

Because we can into assembly lines pasta boy.

and high rates of obesity and health problems too, taco boy

I don't know how tall that is but in moonlanding unit of measurement I am 6'1".

>Tacos and not hotdogs

plz

andijvie>h*tskots oetz

literally me

can confirm

semi skimmed for drinking
full milk for cooking

skimmed milk might as well not exist

>not drinking whole milk

it has nothing to do with food, americans have too much of nigger and spic blood

I remember reading an article about this and what was found was that tall people in Netherlands had more children than short people, while the most common trend over the world is the opposite.

The US has whole, 2%, 1%, and skim
Whole & 2% taste the same and 1% & skim are more like water

I dont even know why they seperate it so close together, it's stupid. The differences are hardly noticable per each %. some dumb gimmick I guess

2% and whole taste the same to me
1% and skim may as well be water with paint in it

I don't think Germans use feet and inches.