/classical/

Kaikhosru Shapurji Sorabji edition.
youtube.com/watch?v=VZs01TevxbM

>General Folder #1. Renaissance up to 20th century/modern classical. Also contains a folder of live recordings/recitals by some outstanding performers.
mega.co.nz/#F!mMYGhBgY!Ee_a6DJvLJRGej-9GBqi0A
>General Folder #2. is kill. rip Papillons
>General Folder #3. Mostly 20th century/modern with other assorted bits and pieces
mega.co.nz/#F!Y8pXlJ7L!RzSeyGemu6QdvYzlfKs67w
>General Folder #4. Renaissance up to early/mid-20th century. Also contains a folder of Scarlatti sonate and another live recording/recital folder.
mega.co.nz/#F!kMpkFSzL!diCUavpSn9B-pr-MfKnKdA
>General Folder #5. Renaissance up to late 19th century
mega.co.nz/#F!ekBFiCLD!spgz8Ij5G0SRH2JjXpnjLg
>General Folder #6. Very eclectic mix
mega.co.nz/#F!O8pj1ZiL!mAfQOneAAMlDlrgkqvzfEg
>General Folder #7. kill
>General Folder #8. The user who made this loves the yellow piss of DG on his face. Also there's some other stuff in here.
mega.nz/#F!DlRSjQaS!SzxR-CUyK4AYPknI1LYgdg
>Renaissance Folder #1. Mass settings
mega.co.nz/#F!ygImCRjS!1C9L77tCcZGQRF6UVXa-dA
>Renaissance Folder #2. Motets and madrigals (plus Leiden choirbooks)
mega.co.nz/#F!il5yBShJ!WPT0v8GwCAFdOaTYOLDA1g
>Debussy. There is an accompanying chart, available on request.
mega.co.nz/#F!DdJWUBBK!BeGdGaiAqdLy9SBZjCHjCw
>Opera Folder. Contains recorded video productions of about 10 well-known operas, with a bias towards late Romantic
mega.co.nz/#F!4EVlnJrB!PRjPFC0vB2UT1vrBHAlHlw
>Random assortment of books on music theory and composition, music history etc.
mega.nz/#F!HsAVXT5C!AoFKwCXr4PJnrNg5KzDJjw

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=IhExniZytko
youtube.com/watch?v=7KCpph1nrpk
youtube.com/watch?v=UIP1YoPAeyM
youtube.com/watch?v=tYKl41e_hoU
youtube.com/watch?v=xvBJ8Iqazzg
youtube.com/watch?v=57ifMZotkh4
youtube.com/watch?v=ZzANGkhykns
youtube.com/watch?v=fajwhUIsNvM
youtube.com/watch?v=b4hxbDAgi-c
youtube.com/watch?v=iu5IXocg_oo
youtube.com/watch?v=FZXDBUMPeRg
youtube.com/watch?v=mxSeM6vs-3c
youtube.com/watch?v=p2l5RkeEkBs
youtube.com/watch?v=5j5zY-h7gOg
youtube.com/watch?v=zlt4913an7g
youtube.com/watch?v=PZrsqIpA9nM
youtube.com/watch?v=dZDiaRZy0Ak
strawpoll.me/14928342
youtube.com/watch?v=g3yd9fsFFt4
youtube.com/watch?v=KrITNrgQHuE
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>hurr durr I'm too good for my own music

what a fag

passacaglia subedition

youtube.com/watch?v=IhExniZytko

should we start spamming classical related threads and replies so either
1. gookmoot makes /amu/, art music
2. we culturally subvert Sup Forums to believe all pop music is normalfag shit and art music is for patricians

/amu/ would die instantly, and people will still like the normie shit cause sometimes it ain't half bad. Just share good, easy to listen to pieces in share threads. And be cool. People like cool cats.

gookmoot wont even optmise the entire site

I miss artmusic-kun

>t.normie

*ruins music*

youtube.com/watch?v=7KCpph1nrpk

Gershwin

Why do performers/conductors refuse to add dynamics or rhythmic tempo changes to Bach's works when Baroque practice was to leave that shit to performers? Also why do the majority of Bach's cadences end with that trill sounding thing?

actually I never really understood the point of trills inthe first place. What do they add to the music?

Unironically this.

I would hang out with Scriabin guy. He introduces normies to c-list composers and doesn't afraid of anything

>Scriabin
>c-list

youtube.com/watch?v=UIP1YoPAeyM

the lists have nothing to do with quality, just popularity and recognition. Here's how I break it down.

A list- composers whom everyone knows because they are cultural memes (includes names like Bach, Beethoven, Brahms, Mozart the Liszt goes on ;^) )

B list- Composers who have pops but aren't especially known for their personalities (Verdi, Mendelssohn, Schumann etc...)

C list- composers who don't have pops but are still well known by classical enthusiasts (Scriabin, Schoenberg, Messiaen etc...)

D List- Literally who? (Zelenka, Martinu, Langgaard etc...)

D List- Hindemith, Rautavaara, Schnittke

Z List - Petzold

Entirely Bach's fault

LOL scriabin is a guy you least want to hang out with
this guy had some SERIOUS fucking issues. he mas the white mass sonata as an exorcism for his previous music because he believed the devil resided in his previous sonata(s). he was a known psychotic. couldn't discern reality from hallucination. Vers la Vlamme was written to represent a week long psychosis he experienced where he thought the world was going up in flames, with the corresponding emotional 'variations'. interesting guy, but yeah. i wouldn't hang out with him

Asking out of curiosity, don't lynch me -- Who are some good non-white composers besides Sorabji?

Xian Xinghai (Yellow River Concerto) and Chen Gang (Butterfly Lovers Concerto) have made some really cool music, but their work is more comparable Ralph Vaughan Williams or Aaron Copland than any truly great composer. I've heard the name Wang Xilin, a current living Chinese composer, but I don't know anything about him.

What sort of interesting material has come out of Japan, India, or Latin America? I'm sure there are at least a few good composers from Thailand, Korea, or Malaysia.

Takemitsu, Shankar, Villa-Lobos?

He said Scriabin guy from the comic not the actual Scriabin.

Good list.

Gimme some good classical music that would fit in a film well. Nothing overused like Air.

youtube.com/watch?v=tYKl41e_hoU

Maybe try Bach's Orchestral Suite No. 3

It was used rather well in Enter the Void

youtube.com/watch?v=xvBJ8Iqazzg

>ask classical music experts whether I should be enjoying music subjectively or trying to understand the author's intention
>they almost universally tell me understanding the author's intention is optional
>tell me all music stands alone and can be appreciated
>trying to get into debussy
>listening to proses lyriques
>meh, just seems like random sounds to me
>random moments of "that's nice, I guess" without understanding why
>is that what I'm supposed to be experiencing? the "that's nice, I guess?"
>is that what it means for music to stand alone? just listen to random crap and wait until your existing sensibilities are tickled by something? what if the tickling is an accident?
>get angry
>start researching the proses lyriques
>find out debussy was deliberately and straightforwardly applying a techno-fetishistic weirdo nonsense idea derived from a completely dumbass quack philosophy
>find out that the proses lyriques are like a painter rejecting formal techniques for painting because he has a hunch that they are arbitrary, but then in his quest to find a post-formalist painting style, being taken in for a year by a snake-oil salesman who convinces him that painting is only "good" insofar as it uses the color BROWN because BROWN is the MAGICAL UR-COLOR
>find out that debussy would have later spit on the proses lyriques as a failed experiment
>can now safely say, the proses lyriques Officially Suck Ass
>can justify this conclusion
>mfw thousands of retard plebs will listen to the proses lyriques today and go "Mmm.. Ah.. Ah yes, I rather quite like this, indeed.. Whilst.. Quite whilst.. Mm, yes, I'm quite whilst a fan of this.. This is quite post-tonal, not hidebound by formalism at all.. Ah yes.." as this complete shit garbage flawed experiment of post-formalist neo-techno-formalism accidentally produces something that sounds good by accident, because it accidentally sounds like a recognizable formalist chromatic piece of music, every 2.4 minutes on average

Depends what kind of film

Debussy is barely a composer.

It`s a short film about woman realizing her need for someone else who hasnt been there before.
The film has had a basic beat before this but the final scene needs some soft music to convey her love of men and the world outside.

I seriously thought about using AIR before, but its seriously so overused and cliched at this point.

I never realized Shankar composed in the classical style; I'll be sure to check out his concerto for sitar and orchestra.

Villa-Lobos sounds interesting. Surprised I haven't heard of him.

what Air?

Really anything by Shostakovich after 1935, especially if you look outside his symphonies.

Selections of Mahler and Bruckner are incredibly cinematic and a lot of Brahms (especially his horn trio and piano quintet) befit a serious drama.

youtube.com/watch?v=57ifMZotkh4

He can't even fix captcha. Why would he make another board that gets 0 replies?

youtube.com/watch?v=ZzANGkhykns
youtube.com/watch?v=fajwhUIsNvM
youtube.com/watch?v=b4hxbDAgi-c
youtube.com/watch?v=iu5IXocg_oo
youtube.com/watch?v=FZXDBUMPeRg

youtube.com/watch?v=mxSeM6vs-3c

This is a rambling and inane copypasta. 1/10

>find out debussy was deliberately and straightforwardly applying a techno-fetishistic weirdo nonsense idea derived from a completely dumbass quack philosophy.
no

Takemitsu and Villa Lobos ought to be obvious

Bach

youtube.com/watch?v=p2l5RkeEkBs

>interesting material has come out of Japan, India, or Latin America? I'm sure there are at least a few good composers from Thailand, Korea, or Malaysia.
Takemitsu is quite literally the only good non-Western composer.

>/classical/

E list- Composer actively tries to suppress the notion of his own existence (Sorabji not etc...)

>mfw I will never hear Brian's Phrometheus Unbound, which lasts like 248 minutes (more than 4 hours)

And all that is wrong because....?

Is there a more powerful soy repellent than Liszt?

youtube.com/watch?v=5j5zY-h7gOg

Sounds just like Debussy's other works structurally speaking. Debussy's style is to ramble aimlessly in different modes with very little inthe way of motivic development. If you want Debussy with refinement and structure, try a little known fellow by the name of, oh I don't know Maurice Ravel. He is the Mozart of impressionism.

why wont you?

>Debussy's style is to ramble aimlessly in different modes with very little inthe way of motivic development.

>you share this board with this person

The score is lost. The worse of all is that he considered this work like the best

Debussy

youtube.com/watch?v=zlt4913an7g

>/not classical/

I'm going to let you in on a secret. While yes things lost to time we will never know, lots of times there's a reason it was lost. Not to say it's bad, but people seem to have this fascination with lost things (I do too) but like usually it'll never live up to the hype. I feel like if it's ever found, you wont like it as much as you should because you subconsciously built it up to Phantom Menace levels of expectation. Levels that can never be reached.

Sounds like incidental music for an episode of Ironside

Do you mean HYPE?

Only plebs fail to memorize their own works.

I think based on the Symphonic Tableux we could have assumed that Fanelli's other works would be quite fascinating.

Scriabin. Promethée, le poeme du feu

youtube.com/watch?v=PZrsqIpA9nM

>Memorize a lyrical drama of more than 4 hours
Lol wut

>Gergiev

Don't worry, he doesn't appear. Just images

Pleb
>inb4 TOOTHPICK
youtube.com/watch?v=dZDiaRZy0Ak

>Bolero

Yeah, I'm the pleb

If he composed it then he should be able to memorize every note and the entire libretto.

There's literally nothing wrong with Bolero

this desu

Bolero is my favorite Ravel song.

yes liszt

I dislike Gergiev because in some of these videos you can hear him fucking humming like glenn gould.

Its so bad that Ravel himself admitted it was about all he could manage due to his worsening aphasia and that he found it a very naive and trivial experiment.

Nah, it's actually a commentary on technology (the robotic rhythms) vs. nature (the Bolero folk dance). This is well-documented.

Excuse me sir, do you have any problem with humming?

Debussy underraters are the dumbest.

yeah it's distracting when I'm trying to listen to the Ruslan and Ludmilla Overture and I hear some dude singing along with the melody

you have no power here Zizek

>having an opinion that's literally a meme

yep, thats the opinion Debussy haters have
>Hurr durr debussy is bad
Literally a meme

So are Dvorak's string quartets any good? I've listened to the first three and so far they're just like a poor man's Tchaikovsky.

good reading comprehension

strawpoll.me/14928342

strawpoll.me/14928342

strawpoll.me/14928342

well documented on the lining of your colon maybe

People are only familiar with his twelfth quartet for a reason. Maybe give his string and piano quintets a try? I'm no expert though

Neither are really underrated.
Arensky is more underrated than both of them combined

How is Debussy being bad a meme? It took years of serious listening and analysis (albeit autodidactic) to realize Debussy's faults where he had once been my absolute favorite composer.

Yes they are, you little shit.

Mostly the ones he wanted to destroy.

Simply put: epic.

Well shit. I'll listen to some more tonight then.

youtube.com/watch?v=g3yd9fsFFt4

What do you think of this one

Bad composers are usually forgotten. The mere fact that we're talking about him now indicates he is a great composer whose music has stood the test of time.

Plus everyone in the classical world (those who actually know what they're talking about: professional conductors, composers, performers and music critics) have a great respect for Debussy.

Hating Debussy is a meme by meme-spouting /classical/ posters and other dumb people with shit taste

I'm listening now. It sounds pretty austere. I like hearing magical third-related progressions in Brahms and Wagner though.

>(those who actually know what they're talking about: professional conductors, composers, performers and music critics) have a great respect for Debussy.

*blocks your appeal to authority*

>Adorno
>jewish
Discarded

>Mendelssohn
>Jewish
Regarded

youtube.com/watch?v=KrITNrgQHuE

When a composer reaches the stature such as Debussy who received among other honors a well-attended public burial in the midst of an artillery campaign I think that intelligent listeners realize they must forfeit the notion that the composer didn't know what he was doing. He knew exactly what he was doing and therefore there are no faults. There's only what you don't like about his music. It's incredibly arrogant to presume otherwise.

>people still taking this hacks opinions seriously
why? he was barely a composer at all