>don't know the difference between its and it's
>don't know the difference between then and than
>don't know the difference between to and too
>don't know the difference between genitive and plural
>don't know the difference between adjectives and adverbs
>don't know the difference between simple past and past perfect
>don't know how to use proper punctuation
>don't know how to spell or pronounce simple words
>unironically use "would of", "should of", etc.

Honest question, do you guys actually go to school? If you do, do you learn your own language? If you do, do you learn grammar, spelling and stuff? Why are these mistakes so common among native speakers? It's a bit embarrassing, 2bh...

>inb4 grammar nazi

>>don't know the difference between simple past and past perfect
Provide an example, please.
Apart from that, I entirely agree.
Such basic errors make me wonder whether the Ænglish language has the stupidest people who use it as their primary/first-learned language.

If I may add another bête noire,
>using masculine nouns for females
>using the 3-rd personal plural form in the singular sense

Bring back "thou" et c. as informal 2-nd person and "ye" as plural 2.nd person.

>Provide an example, please.
"should have went to"
I mostly hear something like this only from murricans, though...

The "then" and "than" thing really pisses me off. That and using 's for plural forms like pic related.

It's even worse when native speakers unironically use 's on verbs in 3rd person singular. HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE?

>"should have went to"
what is the correct form? "should have gone to'?
"should had gone to"?
english is so complicated

>should have gone to

I think a lot of the problem lies with older generations; those who went to school when education standards weren't necessarily as good, and they could leave school quite young so they never fully learnt the ins and outs of English grammar.

A lot of it is due to dialects though. I think every dialect has some non-standard phrases or ways of speaking that sound retarded if you don't use the same dialect.

That actually isn't an issue with identifying simple past and past perfect. It's not knowing the past _participle_.

t. editor and translator

>older generations
Especially younger generations are extremely uneducated... I bet that it won't take anyone more than one minute to find at least one of the listed mistakes while browsing Sup Forums, reddit, etc.

I agree, there's a big split between the younger generations too - half seem to be competent whereas the other half completely disregard proper grammar. A one minute is a pretty generous time don't you think

A big part of it with younger folks is excessive reliance on technology. You don't have to write well on your own these days because Word's grammar and spelling check is good enough to fix many errors. There are also services like Grammarly that can make up for your lack of writing skills.

Of course, the result of relying on these tools is that you can't write well unassisted. Please continue doing that, so I can be paid to fix your writing.

since you made this thread anyway, does ur stand for your or you're?
can i say fuck ur mom you nazi bastard?

Depends on context, really. People use it for both.

using ur is generally retarded

bump

That's because English is a retarded language with no rhyme or reason to the grammar. Even the natives don't even bother. Why should we.

>should've

Ordnung muss sein

I should have gone to [a place]
I should have went to [an event]

I should have gone to Germany (to shoot up you fucking cunts)
I should have went to the Shoot-A-Kraut event.

That's how I use it anyway.

... gone to Specsavers™.

No one gives a fuck about grammar.

If you want to give your grammar rhythm, then you may: the option is always there.

But, grammar will not give the words rhythm or purpose.

it is a curious thing. I'm not sure why but the Anglo world as a whole is largely illiterate. Americans get a bad wrap for being the worst but if you look through any lower middle British or Australian conversation on Facebook or wherever they can't spell or write for shit. I wonder if it's the same with Germans, Swedes etc? Euros, please answer.

In German you'll only see minor mistakes (which are still annoying), like
>"das" instead of "dass"
>"seit" instead of "seid"
>missing commas
Then there are also some older people who are still using the spelling system pre 1997...

>be anglo
>get inbreeded for centuries by inbreeded royals to serve as cannon fodder in wars against other inbreeded royals, France and savage darkies
>2017 comes
>no more inbreeded royals claiming the throne
>France is Friend
>arent allowed to war darkies anymore cause racism
>no purpose

Whats the point of learning proper grammer or anything for that matter anymore.

>Had had

>rly make me think

>be anglo
>suck at foreign languages
>suck at own language
>language is so simple that english class turns into literature class by age 14 or so
>pronunciation system in english creates a huge difficulty to pronounce foreign languages due to the abhorrent vowel shift in english making the entire language phonetically inconsistent

>James, while John had had "had", had had "had had"; "had had" had had a better effect on the teacher.
This happens when you over simplify a language. It becomes silly in those situations. In German, this sentence is much clearer:
>James, während John "hatte" gehabt hatte, hatte "hätte gehabt" gehabt; "hätte gehabt" hätte einen besseren Effekt beim Lehrer gehabt.

We don't learn much grammar at school, for a while they didn't teach it at all.
I learnt most of the grammar I know when I studied Italian at high school.

ridiculous education system

Not really. You don't need to study grammar that intensively to use English well, and it's not a prescriptivist language in the first place. Acceptable usage is set by what people use, not by some central authority.

Says the one who doesn't speak a second or third language and who didn't learn grammar of his own native language. No wonder you're so bad at it (murricans).

I did actually learn the grammar of my language. Conservative American schools in the south tend to teach it rigidly.

Okay then... But still, you can't deny the fact that your countrymen do have major spelling and grammar issues.

The point of language is to be understood. If I can understand my countrymen, then why should it matter if they get some things wrong? Not properly distinguishing between 'Thou' and 'You' used to be a major error in usage, but now everyone just uses 'You'. Language changes over time and I don't really care as long as I can understand what the other person is saying.

So you agree that using your instead of you're is okay, because it sounds similar?

I mean, it's not correct today, but no one is going around making that usage mistake in their formal writing. Perhaps in the future the two will merge.

Who/whom have already basically merged. You can tell the difference based on its place in a sentence.

Learning English by osmosis isn't some mind-blowing accomplishment

Not being able to learn a language at all is pathethic

Many also do not use their "subjunctive". For example think of the Gwen Stefani song that goes "if I was a rich girl" instead of "if I were a rich girl".

This literally never happened. Delete this thread.

I was never taught 'grammar' at school. I just learned how to write by reading. Most people can't explain grammar rules (i thought this was common for most native speakers). It only ever fucked me over when i went to university and my sentences sounded awkward due to my shite grammar. We mostly just learn by doing

Writing is a taught skill. Most native speakers will make some grammar mistakes because most English speakers don't actively learn grammar unlike ESLs.

I learned English from Cartoon Network and Runescape, then later just googled rules for shit that I was unsure about. I still google words sometimes when I'm unsure about the spelling.

I don't know how well this works for Portuguese, but dict.cc is much better than google translate and co, at least for German. And there's also a neat little chrome/firefox addon where you can select text. This makes you very lazy, though.

because we learned it by just hearing it from being born not from books you fucking moron

Wow, you've described the learning process of every human being with their native language. Con fucking grats...
Still, people in other cunts also learn grammar in school, so that they don't embarrass themselves later on in their lives.

Well, that's more true for punctuation than syntactical grammar... and other grammar manifestations.

For example, how I write is often what people would ascribe as 'weird' - once an English substitute teacher told me I know nothing about sentences, like fuck off you cunt you're just a substitute fuck, I know everything about sentences I just hate fullstops as it blockades the flow which is known as 'thought' - and that's because of my unique (fuck, that sounded so pretentious and autistic) grammatical placement and my foreign (but still correct) syntax.

>lecturing the english on english

It's because we speak it day in day out and have done our entire lives, we just write how it sounds. And I bet your pronunciation is a fucking embarassment like 99% of Germans

>For example, how I write is often what people would ascribe as 'weird' - once an English substitute teacher told me I know nothing about sentences, like fuck off you cunt you're just a substitute fuck, I know everything about sentences I just hate fullstops as it blockades the flow which is known as 'thought' - and that's because of my unique (fuck, that sounded so pretentious and autistic) grammatical placement and my foreign (but still correct) syntax.

It's Australia

In your wet dreams maybe... You are judging us and others based on an older generation.

And before you open your mouth, you should at least speak more than one single language. YOU are a fucking embarrassment for all europeans.

*substitue English teacher

>more than
more then*

but i am anglo and i do know all of that

you seem upset at someone in particular; did a big dumb anglo man cuck you?

Why would I learn another language when I already speak the one you were forced to learn, you little fucking cuck? I could walk into most places in Germany and start speaking English, try speaking German in England and people would think you were literally insane

>unironically use "would of", "should of", etc.
this is more than likely you not being able to understand dialects

for instance, i frequently say "would've" which would probably sound similar to "would of" to a foreigner not able to differentiate between the subtlety of sounds

ouch... that's a bit embracing op

back to school with you...

thanks for the (You) ;-)

Try not to be so bitter wolfgang

:-DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
Nice, I've saved a sad soul from committing suicide (at least today)

Fairly certain this will exist with all languages, so fuck off you autistic kraut

Not as this embarrassing and degenerated level, see

Excuse me, mein Freund, but aren't germans basically doing the same by not speaking Hochdeutsch? Dialects -under this ultra prescriptive perception- are bad grammar

>Not as
Not at*

>correcting obvious typos on vier-Kanal

Listen mate, if you want to make an autistic thread crying about peoples spelling and grammar then you'd better proof read everything you post.

Stones, glass houses, and that.

That's something different. These dialects exists since hundrets of years, whereas "should of" is hardly a dialect and rather a sign of utter stupidity.

And yes, speakers of dialects are basically subhumans. The number is thankfully declining.

We aren't "European", and no one on Earth gives a fuck about German or will ever give a fuck about German other than the kraut palette swaps on the Continent. Must really sting, no?

>We aren't "European"
We are. Even if you wish we weren't.

Stupid manchildren, edgy teens and NEETs belong here:

>We aren't "European"
Please stop posting

Piss off back home Pavel

>language is so simple
>entire language phonetically inconsistent
like your logic

I'm from a rural English village of ~900 people. I can guarantee I'm more British than you.

We are European, whether you like it or not. Geographically, historically, culturally.

They were right though.
You can't write for shit.

>No Oxford comma
Not him, but clearly you can't either.

angloz is stupid

Don't care how fancy a yarn you can spin me, you're in the absolute minority of English people. Do you actually realise that? There is no "European" identity here, two-thirds don't even feel that the word "European" has any meaning at all. This crosses the EU issue before you start on me with that, by the way.

>peoples
people's

>he probably feels greater affinity with amer*cans

Just fuck off

are you sure you know what an Oxford comma is?

I couldn't give less of a shite what people "feel". Facts are facts, and the fact is that we are European.
We are genetically European, our ancestors are Celts and Germanics. We are linguistically European, our language is West Germanic with North Germanic sentence structure and Romance loan words. Our history is tied to the continent, our trade is tied to the continent, our politics are tied to the continent.
Is our culture distinctly our own? Yes. Is it all that similar to other European nations? Barely. Unlike the American media that has clearly poisoned your mind would like you to believe, there is no unifying European culture; Bulgarian culture isn't similar to Spanish culture, Norwegian culture isn't similar to Italian culture, etc. etc.

Do I call myself European? No, not really. Do I call myself British, for that matter? Again, no. I'm an Englishman, that's how I identify and I'm sure that's the same point you were trying to make to somehow disprove we as a people are European. Well, it doesn't.

I'm sure the Finn doesn't call himself European, he'll call himself Finnish. Does this make him any less European? No, and the same applies to us.

We are European. It's a fact. Dislike it all you want, but you can't change it.
This has nothing to do with the EU, and no I don't like the EU either.