/lang/ - Language Learning

>What language are you learning?
>Share language learning experiences!
>Help people who want to learn a new language!
>Find people to train your language with!

Check the first few replies ITT for plenty of language ressources as well as some nice image guides. /lang/ is currently short on those image guides, so if you can pitch in to help create one for a given language, don't hesitate to do so!

Other urls found in this thread:

4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/The_Official_Sup
duolingo.com/
drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9QDHej9UGAdcDhWVEllMzJBSEk#
fsi-languages.yojik.eu/languages/oldfsi/index.html
memrise.com/
lingvist.com/
clozemaster.com/languages
tatoeba.org/eng/
forvo.com
effectivelanguagelearning.com/language-guide/language-difficulty
lexicity.com/
cosmogyros.tumblr.com/post/108962232110/huge-new-language-learning-collection
dliflc.edu/resources/products/
en.childrenslibrary.org
hellotalk.com/#en
italki.com/
mylanguageexchange.com/
interpals.net/
gospeaky.net/
speaky.com/
polyglotclub.com/
lang-8.com/
goethe-verlag.com/
languagetransfer.org/
babadum.com
context.reverso.net/translation/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_English_terms_of_venery,_by_animal
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classifier_(linguistics)
youtube.com/watch?v=Km9-DiFaxpU
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I already know three (3) languages on a native speaker level, I don't need more.

>Language learning resources:
4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/The_Official_Sup Forums_How_to_Learn_A_Foreign_Language_Guide_Wiki

duolingo.com/
>Duolingo is a free language-learning platform that includes a language-learning website and app, as well as a digital language proficiency assessment exam. Duolingo offers all its language courses free of charge.

>Torrents with more resources than you'll ever need for 30+ languages.

drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9QDHej9UGAdcDhWVEllMzJBSEk#
>Google Drive folder with books for all kinds of languages.

fsi-languages.yojik.eu/languages/oldfsi/index.html
>Drill based courses with text and audio.The Foreign Service Institute (FSI) is the United States federal government's primary training institution for employees of the U.S. foreign affairs community.These courses are all in public domain and free to download.Site may go down sometimes but you can search for fsi on google and easily find a mirror.

memrise.com/
>Free resource to learn vocabulary, nice flash cards.

lingvist.com/
>It's kinda like Clozemaster in the sense that you get a sentence and have to fill in the missing word, also has nice statistics about your progress, grammar tips and more information about a word (noun gender, verb aspects for Russian, etc.)

ankisrs.net/
>A flash card program

clozemaster.com/languages
>Clozemaster is language learning gamification through mass exposure to vocabulary in context.Can be a great supplementary tool, not recommended for absolute beginners.

tatoeba.org/eng/
>Tatoeba is a collection of sentences and translations with over 300 hundred languages to chose from.

radio.garden/
>Listen to radio all around the world through an interactive globe

forvo.com
>Has pronunciation for lots of words in lots of languages

effectivelanguagelearning.com/language-guide/language-difficulty
>Check out information about languages and their difficulties

lexicity.com/
>An invaluable resource for comparative language study as well as those interested in ancient languages

cosmogyros.tumblr.com/post/108962232110/huge-new-language-learning-collection
>A very extensive language learning collection for 90+ languages.

dliflc.edu/resources/products/
>Similar to FSI, drill-based courses with text and audio issued by the US government.These courses were made for millitary personel in mind unlike FSI.

en.childrenslibrary.org
>Lots of childrens books in various languages, categories 3-5yo, 6-9yo, 10-13yo.

hellotalk.com/#en
>The app is basically whatsapp, but only connects you with people who are native in the language you are trying to learn. It also has a facebook type section where you can share pics and stuff too.

italki.com/
mylanguageexchange.com/
interpals.net/
gospeaky.net/
speaky.com/
polyglotclub.com/
lang-8.com/
>Few more language exchange communities like Hellotalk:

goethe-verlag.com/
>A mostly free site which offers audio and drill like exercises for 40+ languages.

languagetransfer.org/
>A free resource with recordings to learn a language.

babadum.com
>Flash card game with a focus on vocabulary.

context.reverso.net/translation/
>A website like Tatoeba (also has a Firefox extension!)

Previous thread:

Any russianbros know any cool Russian radio stations?

If you say so. I know 6 but still don't feel like its enough.
Not all of them on native level though.

Just asking, anyone here learning Hindi? I might consider it.

important note: this image is specifically for learning Mandarin with Traditional Chinese Characters (rather than Simplified)

Did whoever made that guide actually expect people to type out those mega.nz links?

Finnish when?

Need to learn as much Swedish in one year when I visit the country. Got a qt waiting for me too, hoping to lose my v-card.

Help me out Sup Forums, I know a decent amount of Swedish already but hoping to expand. I pretty much only use duolingo.

I know, that's why I made the links in my shitty thing tinyurls with an easy name

this is all I have, not really a full guide or anything, but the guy who wrote this (unfortunately the original page is ded) is a Brazilian who learned Finnish to a very advanced level, to the extent where he was correcting Finns on Ylilauta.

come to think of it, probably the best solution for these image guides is to include all of the URLs in a pastebin, and then simply put the pastebin's URL in the image, like that it's only one single relatively simple URL.

If you can't type some links, you don't deserve free learning materials.
If you don't have the dedication to type, do you have the dedication to learn a language?

If it offends you, I will remove it.

Hoping to lose your "v-card" in one year to someone across the ocean? How about getting a real gf in your own country?

I know the girl and we talk all the time. She has given me hints that we will bang.

Still got to impress the folks and would like to learn anyways.

So I'm assuming you're also studying Turkish right? Or at least you did before. When would you suggest starting the textbooks? ASAP or a little ways down the road? And could you suggest anything to help with speaking? I know Rosetta Stone has something that will kind of judge how well you pronounce things but do you know of anything else for people who don't want to buy RS?

Well I unironically hope you the best of luck

because i'm curious about finno-ugric languages and hungarians are conveniently peppered around the country since they were resettled in gommunizm

>and hungarians are conveniently peppered
>peppered
lel

Start, just don't rush it.
Speak with real persons, I do not trust the speaking exercises of Duolingo and Rosetta Stone has a bad name, I have no doubt those speaking exercises are bad as well.

How do speakers of English or other IE languages find learning an agglutinating language like Turkish? The long words strike me as difficult, do they occur often? It just seems so much easier to learn a synthetic language

I checked the soundcloud. The guy sounds like he took 10 shots of palinka before the recording. It really reminds me of how I sound like drunk. But other than that it's fine.

Any questions about Hungarian?

Ah alright then. There's a nice Turkish restaurant near me run by a bunch of expats and they seem nice enough to talk with. It's just 20 bucks a meal though so it'll hurt my wallet.

most words only have 1-2 suffixes so it's not like they're all a huge mess

Thinking about doing 30 mins per day of French, I did 3 yrs of it in school so I'm familiar with a lot of words and would be easy to re-learn tenses.

I really want to learn Spanish + Italian too (I studied both for 2 years at school) but I know I'll get mixed up learning them.

I'll probably study French for a year and then move to Spanish + Italian.

I do have a question though, how do I get started in French? I might learn all the tenses first and then move onto vocab but I really need a plan desu. Anyone help me out? I really prefer using textbooks desu.

other than what said i'm curious of how szekely hungarian sound to you
is it the equivalent of scottish or more like british vs american

Guys!
What are you supposed to do when you feel kinda stuck on intermediate to upper-intermediate level for pretty long time (3-4 years) in English? I try hard to improve everything, but some things are so fucking complicated for me.

I can read non-fiction books about daily routines of famous people, about quarter-of-life crisis, about historical events and easily understand ~90% of it, but when I take simple childish book like Wizard of Oz, Hobbit or Treasure Island, I feel so hopeless or even insecure because I hardly understand some words (even though I've read it a hundred of times in my language) while every native 7 y.o. child understands everything written there. I understand everything when I listen to talk radios with standardised English pronunciation like BBC or NPR, but when I hear any dialect I barely understand 10% of words. I really enjoy watching torrented movies and tv shows, but almost everytime I turn eng subtitles on because I am afraid i will not recognise the meaning of a phrase or a joke. I almost always understand every post here, on Sup Forums, but when I try to reply, I have so many difficulties with finding proper words to type. And the worst thing: I have no verbal (or oral?) practice of English, so my pronunciation may be horribly wrong sometimes. I tried to record myself reading a sample text and it sucked, I hated my voice, the way words sound, the way I speak (like a man with Down syndrome). My recorded voice sounded like I am a hispanic or Afro-American who tries to explain that he is not a drug seller.

I don't know what should I do now. I think the best solution is to find a native teacher in English-speaking country, so I will dive into it with both feet and become more confident, but now I am poor as fuck and all I can do is sitting here and hoping for better future. Shit.

I'm learning german and french, going pretty well and it's fun. I started learning them because they are the "main" languages in europe other than english, but I'm wondering what I should learn next once I get these to a somewhat fluent level. Any suggestions?

Dunno about the first half, but as for the latter
>I have no verbal (or oral?) practice of English, so my pronunciation may be horribly wrong sometimes
There is only one way to fix this. Practice. Talk English whenever you can. Play vidya and talk english, join some discord or whatever where english is spoken, move to the US and work at the Russian embassy.

All up to you and completely depends on what you want. Some languages people here are learning
>persian
>turkish
>mari
>hungarian
>spanish

i feel for you
a few years back i'd try to watch something like avatar (the cartoon) and barely understand shit
there's no real trick other than soldiering on
also don't worry about your accent
it takes like a few days to correct it
you will still have visible traces of it but normies love accents
romanian :^)
how's romania called in danish?
idk pick something that you like
spanish is international so why not?

Also I always wonder how ESLs here always write so correct and natural. I've attended the ordinary school with average foreign language lessons, I was considered as one of the best students in languages, but now I feel like I am at the bottom of the entire world with my level of language and it sorrows me so much

Seems to me you're scared of failure m8. The only way you're going to solve your problem is to test yourself again and again. Don't put subtitles on, force yourself to listen to it again and again if necessary.

Also, whilst I won't say that I don't understand all English dialects, some are definitely trickier than others and that's not really a problem for a non native speaker.

BTW, learn to speak! Force yourself to do it. You'll regret it otherwise. You're in Russia, try moving to Moscow and working there as loads of tourists, even people from Germany, Switzerland, Austria, France etc.... can't speak Russian and will try English.

Good luck!

add french to that
i'll be in brussels for a few days so i wanna learn french
desu i'm way too autistic to actually talk to people but i'll feel uncomfortable if i can't pick up what others say because i have social anxiety
>I've attended an ordinary school with average foreign language lessons
language classes are absolute shit m8

Actually I don't think most kids understand all the words in those books you listed. It's rather dated English so I wouldn't worry about that. As for you speaking the best bet is to just find someone in your city who is a native English speaker and try to meet up with them a few times a week, even if it's to just shoot the shit.
And as for the dialects, they almost all come with their own unique jokes or phrases, sometimes to the point where speakers of other English dialects won't understand it. For example, I can hardly tell what most Irish or Scottish people are talking about half the time.
Maybe pick a more modern fantasy series to try practicing with. Authors like Brandon Sanderson are fairly clean in their writing and shouldn't give you as much trouble as Tolkien. Out of curiosity, is Tolkien not translated into a slightly dated version of your mother tongue?

It's not too bad, at least not in Turkish and Russian. They're fairly straightforward with the words, each letter really only makes one sound so it might take a second to sound it out internally but then you're good to go. The other bonus is that with combined words it's generally pretty easy to memorize them because they're typically two different words you know mashed into one.
Although it kinda seems like even Turkish people don't like these long words because a lot seem to be shortened in the spoken language vs the written.

Hungarian sounds like it could be cool. I've thought a lot about greek and turkish too, since the countries are interesting.

Romania = Rumænien
I've considered learning another romance language, could be romanian since it sounds cool. I'll think about it while I continue to work on my current learning.

Some languages lack useful upper level material but English is not one of them.

There is a ton of stuff out there for example prep material for C-Level language certificates.

>Rumænien
i find it interesting how it's romania in only english
it's ru- instead of ro- because a sound shift occured relatively recently in romanian, and we stopped calling ourselves rumuns and started saying romans
like the current name for Wallachia is Țara românească while the old one Țeară rumenească from Terra romana meaning land of the romans/romanians
pretty interesting huh?

Today's language learning confession:

I enjoy paintbucket'ing countries whose official/widely spoken languages I can speak on a blank world map and getting off to the amount of surface I have already covered with the languages I can speak (yes I actually make a bit of an effort to visit these places in case you are wondering).

>a sound shift occured relatively recently in romanian
that is pretty interesting actually, I didn't know about that

OK, anons, thanks for your support. I really appreciate it.

>Seems to me you're scared of failure m8.

Yes, and I understand this fear is irrational and illogical, but still can't do anything about this.
I already live in Moscow, and sometimes when tourists ask me something in English and I know the answer I feel so great that I am not completely brainless. But interactions like this happen rarely, 2-3 times per year, one time two japanese-looking guys asked me how to get to certain metro station and the other time an italian truck driver wanted to sell me his watches because he did not get a paycheck for some reason, but I honestly told him I had no cash at that moment.

Tolkien's books were translated several times in Russian, and I have read every translated book from Hobbit and LOTR to Silmarillion, Children of Hurin and even small tales.

So lately I had Italian exchange students at my school and yesterday was the last time I got to see them. We had a good fair well for them, I said goodbye to the people I met and started some friendships with, gave folks a bunch of hugs. I wanted to speak in Italian because I was already doing so over FB that day in the /ita/ or w.e it is Sup Forums general on Sup Forums. I got bullied and was told my Italian is gibberish and a few people were using complex grammar to confuse me. One guy was encouraging but that was it.

Chinese language?

Ummm, székely sounds kinda like... australian for an English speaker. They change the a and á a bit, they have some different words for everyday stuff (food, clothing, slang) and their accent is overall fun to hear, I can understand it fully unless they use lots of different vocab.

Well Hungarian is extremely agglutinative as well, we also have vowel harmony, many cases and some shared vocab (alma vs elma). If I was interested in Turkish, I'd probably have an easier time with it.

文言文。

I'm learning Italian too
t. foreigner

>文言文。

I'm curious as to why people here are learning new languages.

Why? Seriously, why are you learning a new language? Useful for the future? Exciting to learn a new language? You bored and want to learn one? Partner is from a country that speaks it?

What's the reason you're learning that language?

bro I have not seen italian that bad, it was so bad that I assumed you were trolling and purposely saying gibberish

>australian for an English speaker
ok, nice

>many cases
desu hungarian and turkish cases are quite different
hungarian cases are really simple while turkish cases are closer to indo-european ones

>Measure words

What fucking autist came up with this?
Is this only used in Chinese or does it appear in in any other languages?

If you're not sure what measure words are, allow me to explain:

三本书: Three books. 三: Three, 书: Book But you need to use 本 so people understand you're saying three books and not just "Three. Book" In English it's like saying "Three Items with paper Books".

三辆车: Three cars. In English this is like "Three vehicles cars" If you say 三车 You are just saying "Three, Car"

三组电池 "Three batteries batteries"

Where are you from originally?
I've been studying Italian for 5 years but the way the school system is structured, che cazzo disastro. They try to teach Italian like it's English so having the equivalents and what not. Now, at first I think that's a good idea so the first 3 and a bit years are basically foundations and my Italian is (in my opinion) okay-alright now. The Italians kept on bullying me though. You have the advantage of being able to talk with Italians where ever you go. In Melbourne, sure there is Italian suburbs and areas but it's more of an effort to reach there. They said I really should spend 3-6 months in Italy to be able to pick up the language.
Was it really that bad? :(

It actually exists in some form in English as well, when talking about animal groups.

For example a school of fish, a murder of crows, a parliament of owls, a gaggle of geese(walking), a swarm of geese(flying), etc.

Well I speak English here
The good thing is I hear Italian all the time, either on tv or people speaking, apart from that I've finished Duolingo and I'm doing Memrise courses

I'm Spanish

But "3 fish" or "4 crows" is as equally understood.
That's just the word for the group.

The most comparable thing in English would be "3 pieces of paper".

I don't understand what they could possibly be 'teaching' you at school, your verb usage and pluralisation was completely random

Hmmm, I might pick up Duolingo again and try to do it daily. How is Memrise compared to Duolingo?
Any examples? It's fine if you can't think of any

>a school of fish, a murder of crows, a parliament of owls, a gaggle of geese(walking), a swarm of geese(flying)
who comes up with therese?!

Most of them are hoping to find a foreigner gf

>Memrise compared to Duolingo
really different
memrise tries to get you to memorise words and phrases
but recently they added grammar and conversation bots

i'll be in brussels for a few days so i wanna learn french
desu i'm way too autistic to actually talk to people but i'll feel uncomfortable if i can't pick up what others say because i have social anxiety

I prefer Duolingo, but do take the placement test, cheat if you need to in order to start from a level that is a bit challenging to you, otherwise it's incredibly boring.

Memrise is... less strict. You can find courses people make about verbs, expressions, specific vocabulary... I just did one about regions and capitals.

You could try out russian
It's a fun challenge

> Penso era tre ragazze ma specificamente questo ragazzo in mio opinione era bella.

first of all era is singular, so you can't use it for '3 girls'
also in your opinion someone is 'bella', but that is feminine, and ragazzo is a boy, so it doesn't make any sense, if you thought a dude was handsome he is bello, if you were talking about one of the girls, it is ragazza not ragazzo

I don't want to be stuck in this shithole for the rest of my life, and Germany has good prospects and a rich literary history, so why not. Shows respect for the country if I ever do decide to go there.
Plus it gives me something to do.

I wont call it a piece of shit, because it's got me from knowing zero Chinese to knowing over 1,000 words. But sometimes I want to launch memrise out the fucking window.

There is no fuzzy logic programmed into it's questions so you'll constantly give the correct answer, but as it's not the answer it has programmed as correct, you're wrong.

For example 高兴 and 开心 both mean happy in chinese. But when memrise says "What is chinese for "Happy". It's asking for one and one only.

I'm so lazy
I'll never learn spanish

You know if you make a course on Memrise you can add different correct solutions (even if the course is teaching one of them, both could be correct).

Ah shit I see, yeah I understand why you would think I might be trolling if I wrote that.

So then
>Penso erano tre ragazze, ma specificamente questa ragazza in mia opinione era bella
Is correct then?
I suppose when I am writing in Italian I should slow down and make sure all my grammar is correct.

Well as a speaker of a polysynthetic language, it isn't as hard as most people advertise it to be. It's mostly just any regular sentence with shorter words mixed occasionally with those infamousneverendinggodawfuldifficultpronouncing words.

in Cree we expand our verbs
Take the word "see" (animate conjugating verb
>wâpam-to see. Can't be used alone
>wâpamaw-he sees
>niwâpamaw-i see him
>niwâpamanân-we(exclusive) see him
>niwâpamanânak-we(exclusive) see them
>nikîwâpamanânak-we had seen him
>nikînôhtewâpamanânak-we would have liked to see him

Like that. Cree has consistant rules and no irregular verb forms, so it's alo easier to learn and remember. Can't say about Magyar

Also, what's the difference between a polysynthetic language and an agglutinating language?
Scholars say polysynthetic is harder but I don't see how. Tb h it's alot easier and consistant than english

Just do a little bit every day and you'll get there, user. It might seem hopeless, but the proof of success is all around you.
I've only been studying German for little over a month and I'm noticing myself picking up little phrases here and there when I read it in the wild. It's a good feeling.

waht tools are you using to learn?

you should probably use congiuntivo if you're saying penso, and opinione is still masculine so it stays as mio opinione

Sorry, I was wrong. It's a SKEIN of geese(flying).

If you don't know these by heart, from an 'army of ants' over a 'pride of lions' to a 'dazzle of zebras' then you have no right to consider yourself to be fluent in English, sorry.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_English_terms_of_venery,_by_animal

So why don't they make multiple correct answered for the official courses?

>a mob of kangaroos
Kek.

I looked up congiuntivo, I haven't learned this before. Last tense we were learning in class was passato remoto. I have studied presente, imperfetto (indicativo), futuro semplice, passato prossimo, imperativo e condizionale.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classifier_(linguistics)

According to this article, this is also found in Korean, Japanese, Burmese, Bengali (an Indo-European language like English) and even American Sign Language.

we had seen them*
We would have liked to see them*

bit weird you learnt passato remoto before congiuntivo, where do you learn italian? high school?

Yea
On that note you find it weird, I think the person who plans the Italian course at my school is the meme Italian teacher, we have two at my school. One is my current teacher who is really good and one meme stereotypical Aussie Italian mum who is bad at Italian from what my friends have said.

were you able to speak to the exchange students fine?
also can you keep posting in /ita/, your italian is the best thing in the thread

Why you will bully me also generally they were able to understand what I said, I attempted to try and speak in Italian when I could. I need to remember some more words for general conversation because an issue I have when I type is I will look at a dictionary because the resource is available, when I talk it isn't and I get nervous if I can't remember some words.

will not bully, il filo needs to be enriched with your italian

>No "An unpleasantness of rooks"

Bad list.

Well, at least I can post more and improve my Italian skills and folks and nitpick my shit. I hope I don't see that asshole who tried to confuse me again.

Anime, manga, anki, and i read tae kim once now I use dojg as a reference. Recently started using duolingo, because it's fun to translate sentences in bed, but it placed me halfway through the course, so not much content left.

>ESLs ITT expressing in perfect English how bad they are at English.

???

bad in real life perhaps

Best OP pic desu

Why is third tone in chinese sometimes pronounced with a break?

For example 号码 spoken as "Hao ma-aa"

I love to learn languages, but i dont especially like the countries and cultures where they are spoken
what do?

can we have a cuter Spanish girl in this guide

Become a language autist

youtube.com/watch?v=Km9-DiFaxpU