Non-Native English speakers, what was the hardest part of learning English?

Non-Native English speakers, what was the hardest part of learning English?

Other urls found in this thread:

vocaroo.com/i/s1ggH1qz0MhE
english.stackexchange.com/questions/200358/what-is-the-purpose-of-past-future-tense
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

your spelling doesn't make sense and that's about it

i still fuck up the word necccceesssaarrryyy everytime

I think I saw one of those videos yesterday. I was looking up dragonfruit and one of the first results was dragonfruits up assholes.

It's true. It took me years to be able to spell maneuver correctly every time.

none
it just takes time

There was no hard part. English is super easy to learn.
It was much harder to learn German

Non-phonemic spelling system. I remember trying to verbally use new words I read in books and guessing their pronunciation.

Actually, I still do that.

English is pretty easy, but I do dislike the phonetic inconsistencies. Oh, and I can't pronounce “world” for the life of me.

Subtle

me neither

Tenses. I still didn't using them correctly.

vocaroo.com/i/s1ggH1qz0MhE

To accept the fact that I have to learn an imperialism language

There really wasn't any difficulty, for instance I'd consider French a tad harder but more rewarding

Vocabulary. I think I can manage to conjugate properly but most of the time my writing is very lame. I like to use various words in French so it annoys me

Pronounciation. Thankfully I can shitpost and could harass people in Runescape (classic) without having to say things out loud.
Never had to study english, learned all from Runescape and vidya; talked
with my english teachers so I was able to skip the lessons and only participate in tests during school.

Whir-ild

>Pronounciation
/sfred

Your stupid ass vocals and spelling

I still can't make the th sound, mostly because my teeth are sort of fucked

Phrasal verb nonsense
Only like 1% of those make sense

This happens to people whose first language is easy.
Every so often I will come across a new word and try to read it phonetically and not be close.

I know how it sounds, that doesn't mean I can replicate it consistently, especially while conversating. I guess it's just practice, shame I don't have that very often.

The hardest part is clearly the pronounciation, especially the "TH" sound... And your R.
There is also the fact that a lot of your words are nearly or exactly the same as the french ones, but they are always pronounced differently, it's disturbing.

Why do so many of you have difficulty with pronunciation, don't you regularly consume English media

They have so many accents tho

Doesn't matter, I switch between American and English colliqualisms, idioms even accents easily depending on whom I am speaking to

idk, it's pretty easy overall. I don't know how to separate the syllables of the words though, it doesn't make any sense in my monkey head.

>don't you regularly consume English media
Yes, but we don't actually communicate

Hearing something =/= being able to replicate it

D-does English sounds gay to you guys?

Absolutely not, the emphasis on vowels creates a softness but it doesn't affect masculinity

>conversating
>Brazilian English

Nothing, English is literally the easiest language in the world.

Nothing

Easiest language, anyone that doesn't know it it's because he doesn't want to.

pronuncee A She On
vocabulary is generally hard. you learn fork, knife, spoon, but general kitchen stuff and items is a lot of words

>conversating
I still love my country...

probably the spelling being an arbitrary rollercoaster
The rest is quite easy

FUCKING PAST TENSES
ALL OF THOSE THINGS MEAN THE SAME FUCKING THING YA BASTARDS. IT MAKES NO SENSE.

cool
now say it in past tense

>he doesn't have 4 different past tenses and a future past tense

But it makes no sense!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There is the past, the present and the future. Even in English. Having more cases than 3 is borderline retarded.
You only need one for the past. One for present. One for the future. That's the way it's LOGICAL.

This is proof that Australia is 99.9% abbo

SIEG HEIL KAMERAD! \o

All of those mean completely different things, Ivan.

The different tenses have different contexts. See english.stackexchange.com/questions/200358/what-is-the-purpose-of-past-future-tense for a full explanation.

wew

based and checked

*5 different past tenses
>not distinguishing between stuff that happened in the past for a continued period of time, stuff that happened once and whose consequences are no longer relevant, stuff that happened once and whose consequences persist, stuff that happened before other stuff that happened once and whose consequences are no longer relevant, stuff that happened before other stuff that happened once and whose persist, and stuff that will maybe happen in the future but before something else
How do you even manage to communicate with each other with such vague language?

English was pretty easy to learn 2bh.
But I always get all mixed up with words that have double 's' or double 'p' most of the time I don't know which one of them is double

I will never understand why so many people cant make the th sound correctly. I guess its different because im a native speaker but it doesnt seem difficult to just press your tongue against your top teeth and blow no matter how you look at it

Because the sound or phoneme isn't in their language.

arrogant burger prick.

video games taught me
it just stuck on me somehow

I even said that I guess its different for me because im a native speaker. what the fuck crawled up your ass?
I understand that but the actual mouth placement isnt very precise. It seems like something that would be easy to learn even if you hadnt done it from birth

English pronunciation is retarded.

>pear, bear,
>near, fear, tear

>poor, moon, root
>floor, blood, door

etc.
It's inconsistent and arbitrary as fuck.

"th" isn't that hard, but it's just unnatural for non-Anglos to make, so we'd just use a "d" if not paying attention specifically to pronouncing it right

check'd

cough, tough, through, dough

nuthin personnel kid

Pointless! It's in the PAST. The events are finished, static, and unchanging. Those are just completely meaningless and frivolous details, one shouldn't concern himself with.
>How do you even manage to communicate with each other with such vague language?
It's not vague. You can express all of those things and more if you wish, and with less words than you. Ours is a very compact language, dense with important information.

Anyway, don't mind my autism, I'm just turbo butthurt about this.

Japan dropping the deep hard truths as always.

As a native English speaker, I don't know if what I'm about to say is accurate for non-natives, but I feel like conjugation in English is one of the very few things that's actually easy. English has a lot of fucked up inconsistencies but there isn't much to our conjugation, is there? Am I overlooking something?

This happens to some people with fucked up teeth even in America. You kind of need them in order to do it right.

>verb conjugations
You are like a little baby
Watch this

I never really know when to use "in, at, on", etc.

Question for native speakers and non-natives both. What would you think if there were some global effort to "reform" the English language in such a way as to fix inconsistencies like these? I mean I know all these words but that doesn't change the fact that it's objectively retarded.

English speakers often have similar difficulties with propositions in the romance languages.

Forced language reforms are always a stupid idea.

I can't pronounce 'th'

We have some inconsistencies there. You say "I ran" rather than "I runned", which gives extra stuff to memorize.

Spanish and Italian verbs have identical modes and tenses
For you these differences are not relevant because you have lived all your life without taking them into account, for romance language or German speakers they are important enough to warrant a whole tense

Stupid. The only good language reforms are the ones that come naturally. Simplyfing language so the non natvies have easier way of learning it is retarded.

It's too late now, you should have done it some 300 years ago when printing was somewhat limited and half of the documents of the world were not written in English

Yeah good point. I didn't think of that. It's the same across the board for most subjects though. I ran, you ran, they ran, etc. First person plural gets the -s at the end in the present tense but they're not all different like in many languages.

Question to native speakers, how do you know what kind of word is person saying if the pronunciation of few different words is the same?

>english
>hard

For slavs it is articles.

Irregular verbs aren't hard because we only have to memorize the regular verb, past tense and participle
>eat ate eaten
>be was/were been
>ride rode ridden
etc.
Verb conjugation in English is stupidly easy.

It's all about context. Have you ever studied French? This is even more of a problem when learning that language because of all the silent letters.

English is an easy and primitive language.

I've noticed this from reading Slav posters here. Especially Russians. How does this work in your languages? Instead of "a dog" or "the dog" is it just "dog", or what?

I can not not roll my R's. I must be retarded.

>.. And your R
That's easy, just imagine big cock in your mouth and try to pronounse.

R is the hardest letter to get right across various languages, I think.

I sound like a retard when I pronounce "literature"

>lee-rah-lah-churr
Fuck I don't even know what sounds I make

in on and at

he is on the beach, he is at the beach, he is in the beach. Sometimes you dont know which one to use.

>always talked funny when id speak my mother tounge cause i couldnt pronounce a hard R
>perfect english pronounciation throughout school
hardest part was learning how not to sound like an eastern-european english-as-a-second-language piece of trash

In = inside
on = above someone
at = some distant place

I'm in the bathroom.
I'm on the roof.
I'm at the school.

But of course this is English and it has retarded things like
>I'm on a plane

on/at can be used interchangeably in that case. I dont think ive ever heard anyone say that they were in a beach

Vocaroo it for us?

I think on the moon and on the beach are the normal terms for being in those places.

In most cases something like this is not a major fuckup though. If you said you were "in the beach" it would be wrong and sound funny, but everyone would know exactly what you meant anyway.

>Instead of "a dog" or "the dog" is it just "dog", or what?
Yes, it's just "dog", but we have and use many different word endings which help us to distinguish context and meaning of the words in sentences. Russian has six grammatical cases, for example, which differ in endings (you have three cases: nominative, genitive and oblique). Ukrainian has seven cases.

Saying at is a general location, while in is more specific.
>I'm at the pool
You are in the place that people call the pool, not necessarily INSIDE the pool
>I'm in the pool
You are physically inside the body of water known as the pool.

>I'm at the library
You are at the library. Maybe outside, in front of, or whatever.
>I'm in the library
You are INSIDE the library

Pronunciation is completely unnatural for a russian.
Articles are pointless 99% of the time.
Only four tenses out of sixteen actually have a valuable purpose.

Also, English has no poetry to it. It sounds mechanic and it lacks depth.

I've never studied a Slavic language but I've read that all those cases are really hard for English speakers to master.

I was in one beach the other day but she was only a whore

The effects it had on my native language. I often try to squeeze english words in a german sentence or use english grammar. I basically treat a 2nd language like some extra words and not like a completely separate entity.