Old guy gets murdered in front of him

>old guy gets murdered in front of him
>starts quipping 20 seconds later

>doesn't understand banter in the face of death
>has no opinion of his own just mindlessly regurgitates whatever Sup Forums has told him is wrong without asking why

I only feel pity for you.

No sorry, he is right. Is the usual tone problem of this kind of movies. And J.J., being a robot, is unable to understand how humans work.

This also falls in line with Finn immediately being okay with killing his comrades in arms that he basically grew up with.

Why modern movies are made for/by psychopaths?

plus the corpse is literally on the ground next to him

terrible writing. shocking

>So, who quips first? You quip first, I quip first?

>some old guy he barely knew
>why is he making a joke!

Its almost like how no one makes a dark joke after a tragedy or accident OP

The character is only partially defiant. The tone is all over the place.

Furthermore, it has a sort of "meta" vibe that puts you outside the movie (which is a signature of J.J. - J.J. dos everything in his power to remember you constantly you are in a movie).

inb4 "B-BUT THE ORIGINAL MOVIES HAD BANTER TOO!!"
You're right, they did. And it was almost always between friends, or at least at somewhat appropriate times and context. And the complete clash of context and tone is what makes banter like at the beginning of TFA so terrible.

Remember, this is literally right after this Dark Lord guy and his troopers storm in and shoot down an entire village, slice the old guy he was talking to in half, and uses force powers to freeze him and his blaster bolt in place.

The tone here was dark and grim. And he's going to open up with this smarmy quip bullshit? It'd be like if the Tantive IV rebels was quipping at Vader right after seeing the captain choked to death. It'd totally kill the mood.

people don't banter in the face of death. life is not a joss weadon story

You the droids doing it, between them. The fact that does exist lightens the tone of the whole movie, but the fact that does not happen between a villain and a character does not kill the mood/tension of the scene, or devalues characters and their interactions.

These people are fucking hacks.

t. Mr "I furiously masturbate to Poe"

>has the same characteristics as the OT
>suddenly star wars loons dislike it

when did that happen in the ot?

because viewers have become desensitized, they only respond to meme quips now

This is why I hate marvel movies. They aren't even films, they're just utter shit

That a big problem with this movie...every second is a quip of some kind. Original trilogy wasnt characters quipping every time something happened.

>every second is a quip of some kind

This isn't true whatsoever

i think you're confusing regular lines in a movie for "quips"
did you suffer brain damage recently

WRONG!

It's hard to take anything in Disney movies seriously these days. It's morally bankrupt. It trivializes death and turns violence into fun and safe practice.

It has the characteristics of a MCU flick, right down to the action.

Mine is not a moral judgment, but from the sheer narrative standpoint, they have the tools to make wonders and end up with..; everything dull.

Is disconcerting.

>"aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?"
>the entire character of C3P0
>the entire character of R2-D2
>the entire character of Han Solo

>people discussed about quipping between heroes and villains
>your examples

you are a retard

I think its safe to say pretty much everyone regards TFA as the worst in the franchise.

No soul.
No music.
No respect for Classic Trilogy friendships.
Nothing other than derivation.

Those who enjoy TFA should seriously consider ending their lives.

>this is the same as cracking wise with a old man dead in front of you after watching him get cut in half

JJ is probably autistic to some extent

He clearly has no real grasp of human interaction and warmth

>banter in the face of death

lol what the fuck? reddit needs to have a contract where you agree to only visit that site and never traverse outside of it

Either autistic or psychopathic, yes.

He is "off", there is something wrong in the way he imagines human reactions.

You guys don't fucking understand.
If you have a dark tone children will get bored, you need epic quips so they laugh with a character, develop a liking to him and are entertained.
Star Wars is a franchise for CHILDREN.

>Luke mourning Ben's death
>"I can't believe he's gone"
20 seconds later
>witty banter with Han
>"Great kid don't get cocky"

Get over it, weak excuse for not liking TFA

Remember when Luke quiped after Ben got ghosted

>Star Wars is a franchise for CHILDREN
so why didn't they do it 1977? kids liked that one

>makes a false comparison
>lol checkmate fags
try again abramsfag

Then the OT characters are shit too

That's not mature, or deep, it's just edgy.
In case you didn't notice, children love to play with soldiers, war and that stuff, if you think a 12yo will get traumatized by that shit (it's not even realistic or impacting in any way) you're retarded.

But why I even bother, I know you're just desperately defending SW because you don't want to come to terms with the fact that you're a manchildren.

Luke literally quipped on the same day that, not a random old man, but the parents that raised him were fucking toasted alive.

Leia did shortly after HER HOME FUCKING PLANET WAS DESTROYED.

It's Star Wars. Loosen up.

Disney aren't human. They don't understand it the same way we do.

>children like watching people burn to death
>children like politics
nope. try again

Are you aware of the fact that those are 2 different moments?

Yeah, fucking wrong
>"One things for sure we're all gonna be a lot thinner!"
>"Boring conversation anyway..."
>"Listen your worshipness I take orders from only one person; me!"
>"Will someone get this walking carpet out of my way"
>I thought they smelled bad...on the outside"
Shall I keep going? These are the ones off the top of my head.

neither of these instances of lightheartedness take place 20 seconds after an act of extreme brutality

There both two different moments in TFA, yes it's in the same scene but Kylo's force powers break the moments apart.

Children love watching people fight with glowsticks, that someone gets burned at the end of it is not relevant.
>star wars "politics"
You're retarded.

It's been like a whole two minutes without a quip. Are you mad? The audience might've thought it was a serious movie or something and not just an excuse to sell toys.

So your problem isn't with the characters but the shift of tone in the movie? A tone that wasn't dark in the first place?

Because quipping 20s later or within a day makes no difference. I wasn't smiling for a week after my father passed away.

>You're retarded.
nice argument. i guess that's why sith was rated pg-13. you know, because it's for kids

"star wars is for children" is the lamest non-argument in the anti-star wars playbook. go away

what point are you even trying to make? you think your anecdotal evidence means shit here?

They don't care. Extreme violence is only a concern because of how it might affect them, not because that they won't enjoy it.

My point is that if OT was realistic Luke and Leia would be feeling like shit through the entire movie. But they don't because the movie is loose, like TFA.

Of all of the problems of Ep7 you people are latching on an inane complaint.

>movie's premise is that Poe is overwhelmed and disillusioned by the death of his brother on the battlefield, and, rattled by that whiplash, decides to abandon his militaristic home to seek a peaceful life
>movie then continues to mass-murder nameless characters for the next two hours

Jesus Christ JJ

People said Hacksaw Ridge was too violent but these movies have the same or MORE fucking murder

>i guess that's why sith was rated pg-13
Not only are 13 year old still children, but if you think those ratings are made based on whether children will like the movie or not you're retarded.

>Death star kills millions
>10 seconds lader Chewy says "But I just finished paying down the mortgage!"

classic chewy, star wars quips fucking lel

>A tone that wasn't dark in the first place?

>village is attacked and razed
>dead villagers all around
>villagers ounded up for massacre
>old man murdered in cold blood
>his corpse is laid out before you
>not dark

retard

I can't believe after years of "the wookie should've gotten a medal too" that hack JJ managed to fuck it up even further.

It's an effect, not a cause. The script writers likely think in terms of promotional genre segments.
There needs to be this many comedic scenes, this many action scenes, etc. Then they start either cutting up the story and fitting it into these boxes, or vice versa cramming the boxes into the story.

Either way what you get is this Frankenstein monster that imitates human behavior, but clearly isn't. The real problem starts with the audience. Those who really do just come to any form of entertainment to see those cool joke, fight or stunt scenes in the trailer let everything else outside that context of expectation go over their head, they don't get the
>Wait that doesn't seem right, wasn't this serious a second ago
Thought. They get
>Oh, cool parts over. Time to turn off my brain/attention until the next one
Package.

And in a way braindead viewing is the smart choice since they only get what they want, anything dissatisfying never registers.

Unfortunately since this means the fragmented style of creation effectively works for a majority of creators and audiences there's no real incentive to stop using it, critics be damned.

But user, if people die by red and green glowing not-bullets and not-swords, it totally isn't violence!

Violence isn't dark. Fucking people dying isn't dark, especially if they are nameless background characters and its done off camera.

There are ways to shoot a scene to make both of these dark and that was definitely not how TFA was shot.

>Leia isn't going to die
>Nothing but tension and attitude spewed against the Empire

>Poe could die
>Quipmaster

The defining aspects of a generation of action adventure.

You are probably 100% spot on but is even sadder.

Finn's friend dies in front of him, he even leaves a bloody hand print across his mask.

It's clearly meant to be fucking dark given how it's the one event that makes Finn run away in pure terror.

>Be Chewie
>Best friend just got killed; he's as close as you can get to a platonic eternal partner without putting your dick in him
>come back from the mission, ready to let it all out to his partner and wife, who you've known and spent the best years of your life with
>exit ship with some girl who accompanied you
>there's Leia; Wookie tears swell up
>Leia walks up to...some girl and embraces her

well there is an audience apparently
see

And yet JJ is supposed to be antiracist. Ironic, no?

Chewie is basically a bipedal dog.
Would you hug a dog if his owner dies? You just throw it on the dumpster.

that's the problem. the concept and content of the scene is dark but the tone is inappropriate

it's a fucking mass-murder but poe decides that a jokey retort is the appropriate choice of words for the situation

It's shocking, not dark. The only purpose of it is to give justification for Finn and to make the audience relate. You people haven't watched dark toned movies if you think fucking TFA is dark just because some people die.

I dislike it too, but I disagree that this is a new thing. Action movies have been pulling this shit for half a century.

yes, a dog that speaks an intelligent language and can pilot and maintain a complex spacecraft. my dog drives me to work and fixes my car all the time

this is genuine bullshit

>Chewie is basically a bipedal dog.
What the fuck? He's as intelligent as a human. Certainly smarter than a nigger. He's also, you should know, fucking iconic to the franchise. Chewie for robbed yet again. Stop pussyfooting.

>your dog can talk to you and drive a ship and use weapons

cool dog bro

Chewy is a human with fur

Women do actually hug each other in tragedies and do not care about men, so it was actually proper she ignored him

>my dog drives me to work and fixes my car all the time

bullshit

Chewie is at least the mental equal of humans; he's quite advanced with mechanical devices if you go by TCW.

>would you hug a dog

Dogs get genuinely upset if their owners dies, so yes, I would hug one.

>I dislike it too
good. so stop justifying it and making apologetics

Does your girlfriend like that you can quote lines from starwars?

Stop replying to me you degenerate dogfuckers.

>he din't trained properly his dog

Why do noone talk about the part where he said you throw a living dog in the dumpster when the owner dies.

Not quite yet.

I'm saying there isn't a tone issue with the quips because it never went dark in the first place. Moreover I'm also saying that OT had the same shit. I prefer realistic fiction so I don't like it, but I can suspend my disbelief because I know Star Wars is a silly adventure movie.

>I'm also saying that OT had the same shit.
so give one example. an actual one, not a false comparison

Well what would you do with it? Take it for a romantic weekend in Venice?

In my old town they'd put him on a bag, tie it and throw it to the river.
Thank God for civilization giving us easy-to-access organic disposal containers.

This. I hate TFA but grasping straws is dumb and unnecessary. There's enough wing with TFA z and it's not unusual for a trained soldier who has been desensitised by war to be a smart ass to his enemy captors nor is it unusual for a man in such a position to be desensitised by the death of some random.

I already did.

Just like you don't see people exploding alive in Alderaan or Luke's foster parents literally burning alive you also don't actually see most of the villagers being killed. Its the same shit.

>Certainly smarter than a nigger.
Oh great, it's another "user makes racist jokes to be edgy" episode

Are you Mexican or South American?

>has no real grasp of human interaction and warmth

you just described the jewish people

I was a child when Ep. 3 came out. I enjoyed it along with the other prequels. Children can handle more than we give them credit for. You're raising some pussified kids if they can't handle fictional death.

would you have warmth to a cow, goyim?

yes, you gave false comparisons. now remind us of a scene in the ot in which an old man is cut in half by vader, then han or luke decide to make a joke

It is for children, but it is repackaging adult themes for them and it does not exclude adults. It's not 'Boo-Bah'.

The only time a character has been cut in half was in The Phantom Menace. Please stop lying about awesome violence.

>Enjoying violence
Hello Kylo.

I know i'm going to sound fedora af, but they make dull mediocre products aimed at dull mediocre audiences.
They pretty much accepted and got confortable with that fact.

>Luke gets his hand cut
>Han and his Millennium Falco come to help
>Need a hand kiddo?

jesus stop the quip

did obi-wan then make a quip?

Han quips literally 5s after killing Greedo.
Luke is back to acting all happy and exciting within 5 minutes of Kenobis death.

Murder is nothing fucking new in Star Wars. Stop grasping at straws.

>people don't banter in the face of death

I guess you missed out on Iraq and Afghanistan then