Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinoks
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man_with_a_Movie_Camera#Vertov.27s_intentions
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinéma_pur
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asian_values
youtu.be/kj73aDoeFdk
youtu.be/Box4Clu1-1k
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I had only heard it looks good and thought everything else would be shit but it had a really nice story, soundtrack and acting too.

Has no one seen it?

I don't think so. I really despise Zhang Yimou. It's really a very shallow and sterile aesthetics, it's empty and too manufactured, too clean, something you'd expect from a perfume ad, which already plagued Crouching Tiger. It's a film for festivals, imdb/reddit plebs and for tasteless mainland China, it's wuxia for people who don't like wuxia. It also takes itself too seriously.

I much prefer the creative messiness and overflow of ideas from Tsui Hark, as well as his genuine pulp sensibilities and enjoyment of the genre. His 90's productions often have amazing visual texture, all the smoke, rain, wind blowing, etc it genuinely feels alive in movement (ie kino), not just meant to make good-looking screenshots and wallpapers.

In a similar festival-bait style, the Wong Kar Wai films or even The Assassin at least feel more sincere.

>ie kino
Kill yourself

What's your problem with kino?

Hehe...memes.

The kino meme is actually not a meme though, educate yourself my plebeian friend.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinoks
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man_with_a_Movie_Camera#Vertov.27s_intentions

Upon the official release of Man with a Movie Camera, Vertov issued a statement at the beginning of the film, which read:

"The film Man with a Movie Camera represents

AN EXPERIMENTATION IN THE CINEMATIC COMMUNICATION
Of visual phenomena
WITHOUT THE USE OF INTERTITLES
(a film without intertitles)
WITHOUT THE HELP OF A SCENARIO
(a film without a scenario)
WITHOUT THE HELP OF THEATRE
(a film without actors, without sets, etc.)
This new experimentation work by Kino-Eye is directed towards the creation of an authentically international absolute language of cinema – ABSOLUTE KINOGRAPHY – on the basis of its complete separation from the language of theatre and literature."

This manifesto echoes an earlier one that Vertov wrote in 1922, in which he disavowed popular films he felt were indebted to literature and theater.[6]

I loved the esthetic a lot.

>fucking snownigger scum
KYS

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinéma_pur

Cinéma Pur (French for Pure Cinema) was an avant-garde film movement begun by filmmakers, like René Clair, who "wanted to return the medium to its elemental origins" of "vision and movement."[1]

The term was first coined by Henri Chomette.[citation needed] The goal of the movement was to create a cinema that focused on the pure elements of film like motion, visual composition, and rhythm. It was begun by European filmmakers René Clair, Fernand Léger, Hans Richter, Viking Eggeling and others. They sought to accomplish their goal by minimizing story and plot, focusing instead on visual concerns by using close-ups, dolly shots, montage, lens distortions, and other cinematic techniques. Films like Ballet Mécanique, Symphony Diagonale, and The Symphony of a Great City projected rhythm and motion in the title of the films and the works themselves. In addition to close-ups, other filmmaking techniques were used to create rhythm and visual interest. They include fast and slow motion, trick shots, stop-action cinematography and dynamic cutting.[2]

It declares cinema to be its own independent art form that should not borrow from literature or stage. As such, "pure cinema" is made up of nonstory, noncharacter films that convey abstract emotional experiences through unique cinematic devices such as montage (the Kuleshov Effect), camera movement and camera angles, sound-visual relationships, super-impositions and other optical effects, and visual composition.[4]

this pleases my sensibilities

I agree with your analysis and I'll try to offer you something in exchange to it: The movies are actually similar to the picture of the soul: "eidolon" and of the mind "eidos" and this is the source of all of pictural thinking. then enter the "edea" which is the reminiscence of mind.
With kino, we can agree that movies are the source of cultural phenomenons as huge as "memes"

Zu Warriors is a really good film. I miss old asian movies.

Incorrect, kid.

Fearless is the superior jet li kino

this. also the new legend of shaolin but it's probably nostalgia talking.

fuck you hatman

indeed.
>tfw it was mostly based on a true story

Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon was better, except or the romance sit which I always skip past

best part was unironically when they send the army to shoot a zillion arrows into the calligraphy school

I saw it as a child. I loved the visuals, but thought the film itself was trash
Much preferred Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon and House of Flying Daggers

>House of Flying Daggers

Hate this shit except the guy who looks like Gary Sinese

Really? I prefer Hero to CTHD. The latter seemed too western

yeah its a excellent but the wire-fu kinda spoils it.

it could have been pure kino without it.

Yeah, Hero just came across as contrived
This was over a decade ago though, so I probably judged it unfairly

I liked the part where they justify genocide in the name of a unified China.

Chinese propaganda thread?

I felt bad for spear guy. He only got one flashback fight instead of 3

Has anyone seen the movie where Jet Li takes care of an autistic kid? is it good?

That was Jackie Chan user

kek'd

>mfw I wrote a university essay on LKY's Asian Values doctrine and actually referenced this movie

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asian_values

Well done user

There were so many memorable scenes from this film. GOAT Chinese cinema.

Top kek

Niiiiice.

I should add that The Assassin doesn't try to "renovate" the action genre aesthetically, as Hero tried to do; but pursue its own interests in developing the inner mechanisms of its characters.

>getting to reference films in your university essays
only things i get to reference are journal articles by hipsters written in coffee shops and books written 2500 years ago

>QUENTIN TARANTINO PRESENTS: HERO

Literally the only good thing he did during his whole career.

Do political science user, got a top grade and even a job in the end!

>tasteless mainland China
ironically this is the most reddit opinion possible

>Literally the only good thing he did during his whole career.

fit me irl

This is fair. However admittedly I'm a pleb and enjoyed the fuck out of Hero.

I'm doing philosophy. And then I'm gonna be the greatest filmmaker that ever lived
dreams are important

Not him but you're right. What's fitting the moment his character dies is the moment when movie turns to shit. I wish they'd have never stopped at that bar.

>implying you didn't enjoy "SUDDENLY VAMPIRES OUT OF FUCKING NOWHERE"

I watched it blind, had never heard of it before and that genuinely fucking shocked me.

"Philosophy stands in the same relation to the study of the actual world as masturbation to sexual love."

Guess who?

It's fine,I hate commies and all their ilk

"To ridicule philosophy is truly philosophical."

>watch a new Tsui Hark film
>it's all bad CGI
>reuses CGI ships footage from one of his other movies

trash

You can't really go more meta than philosophy, other than pure logic. But that doesn't translate to language
So yeah, I guess?
The quote sounds smarter than it is

Depends on your affiliated school. Are you doing more continental or Anglo-Saxon scholars?

Analytic as fuck
Ethics, mind and body, epistemology and metaphysics/religion I suppose

I didn't like the twist at the end when it was revealed the whole movie was lies but other than that, the kung fu was alright.

That's cinema though.

this 2b4h senpaitachi

>epistemology

A man to save us in the post-truth era!

Most of the people I came across in philosophy were so far left they fell off the spectrum, it was all Spinoza, Gramsci and even Zizek.

I was always dealing with China (hence the movie) so I kept it more grounded.

Shooting something?

Don't talk to me about truth, nevermind knowledge
I hate epistemology so much, even though it's really interesting

Turns out that back in the days of the ancient greeks, truth abot subjective experiences wasn't a thing. So you can't know you're happy. Or at least, that statement doesn't express anything

Except this isn't actually the case, because Epicurus and the stoics used to say exactly that. And fucking Sextus even talks about them so he was aware of the concept! My teacher never taught us anything close to this and it was too late to write about it when I came across it!

I finished a short a couple of months ago. I find out if festivals liked it in a couple of weeks.
I've got a script written for my next short but one of my leads might drop out because of the scripts' themes.
And I probably won't be able to replace her in time (I have a limited window to film it)

So I might go with another, less ambitious script I wrote. It's less polished but easier to make and the sort of thing that festivals will probably prefer

Might be able to borrow something from the POL/IR world there.

In IR, you often end up with the opposite axiom - everything is derived from a natural state (insecurity, anarchy, mistrust). Nicholas Onuf imported constructivist reasoning from sociology to argue for the international system being the product of the construction of knowledge in society, critiquing a natural order.

Constructivists would say that the construct of knowledge and what was known to be truth gad changed between Epicurus and Sextus, just as it has until today.

Cool man. Any link to the short? Actually shooting a stream-of-consciusness flick

stream of consciousness? That sounds... different
Is it surrealist? How's it shaping? Can you talk more about it?

I would link it, but it can't be publicly online yet otherwise it gets disqualified from festival entry
I can tell you that it was an homage to Leone and Refn

>even The Assassin at least feel more sincere
You really think so?
For me that movie was garbage. What's to good about it? I tried to think about but I'm totally blind to it's qualities.

CHINKS ARE GARBAGE

Check out these lists for more beautiful movies, OP, you'll love it:

>youtu.be/kj73aDoeFdk
>youtu.be/Box4Clu1-1k

I liked that the color changed from each perspective.

>I liked the part where they justify genocide in the name of a unified China.
Yeah, that was unexpected.

Understood. I like to write scripts as short stream of consciousness and then I try to shoot them.

this shit is good

The early 00s was flourishing with asian warrior epics

>Hero
>Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon
>The Twilight Samurai
>House of the Flying Daggers
>Zatoichi
>The Warrior
>The Hidden Blade

All of these share similarities such as engaging, slow burning stories, vivid nature scenerios, rich costumes and folk music and there's some kind of visual poetry to them even...the first three are classics, but all of them are great picks for anyone

AWesome movie