WTF is dis BULL_SH1T

Did you like it?

Just finished episode 1. What am I in for?

pretentious garbage written by privileged hipsters

It's pretty bad.

My friend was recommending it to me while he was watching, until he finished it. Apparently the last ten minutes ruin the entire thing.

I haven't seen it, I don't want to waste my time so I'm just going off that. Take that as you will.

yeah, the last ten minutes kinda shit the bed. the series isn't perfect. it's entertaining throughout and keeps the viewer questioning nearly everyone's motives, which is always a good sign. however, the ending. ugh. it really was that bad.

if anyone cares to watch something similar, screen Marling's other efforts: Another Earth and The Sound of My Voice. i don't think there's a single thing The OA does better.

Basically, it's a really solid show for like 4 or 5 episodes and then it just tailspins out of control and never recovers before ending in the most out of the blue and unsatisfying way possible.

besides it being a touch weird, I don't have an issue with the ending

she basically accomplishes her 'mission', the result of her actions also saving the day, but no one really knows whether her story was real or not

I don't think it's terrible but the show is all bulid up no payoff.

The ending could have been done better then the whole dance off with the random kid in the school.

My gf has been watching this and I walked in on the dancer number without any context. Wtf was that?

But there was a payoff, though most people didn't like it.

tl;dw version: She wants to teach 5 people a dance that does 'miraculous things'. Originally, the moves of the dance were taught by beings in the afterlife to 5 other people - including her - who were held captive for several years by a creepy professor who did research on the afterlife. She got away, the 4 other captives didn't. If her story is real, the dance has proven itself to work - twice already. But her credibility is unknown. Then comes the incident at the school. During the shooting, the 5 did the dance as an act of desperation and at very the least it had the same effect as in that galaxy guardians movie. But it might have also worked for real, of which the viewers are left hanging

the payoff was a bit anticlimactic. sure, they ended up being heroes somewhat, but the real climax - the OA dying/transcending to another dimension - just felt off to me. i did like how they straddled believability and her motives. however, the series is one of those stories where it probably seemed better on paper. as i mentioned before, nothing here that wasn't done better in Marling's other collaborations with Cahill or Zal. i also thought Paz Vega was underutilized and the Homer character over. oh well, i hope to see more from Marling, though, as I have dug her since I first saw Another Earth years ago.

I didn't like the show, but so many people here hate it too I'm probably going to rewatch it. It must actually be kino.

The problem I had was that they started right off the bat by giving her story TOO much credibility, then expected you to doubt it suddenly at the end. Shit like the OA gaining her sight back, watching YouTube videos of Homer talking about his NDE while crying about how she misses him, vision-dreams giving her nosebleeds AND coming true (confirmed by outside sources such as her parents, too)... then suddenly they're like "LOL MAYBE SHE MADE IT UP AND GOT THE NAME HOMER FROM THE ODYSSEY DIDN'T CONSIDER THAT DID YOU???????" It's like when they wrote the first half of the show, they wanted her story to be unambiguously credible, then halfway through they decided to completely switch gears and go in a new direction, then they capped it off with that awfully rushed and forced break in at the end because they had no better way to tie up this new direction of questionable credibility they'd suddenly decided on.

At the very least, they should have made her story have apparent or seeming contradictions or some confirmed fudged details, along with offering a possible scientific/medical explanation for her regaining sight to show conflict with her personal account. Pepper those conflicting facts in only subtly early on so the viewer is able to easily excuse or forget them as they get lost in the OA's story, then have them become more apparent near the end to make the viewer suddenly throw everything they heard into question, but then upon re-watching you'd pick up on those early details again and if it's done right you could easily use known facts in the show to make a believable case for either side.

There's just so much wasted potential here, and I genuinely believe that they started out going one direction with the story and then just switched gears partway through so everything suddenly felt very rushed/forced/disjointed.

It's good. People who don't like it are probably illiterate.

and yet multiple posters on this very thread have written sound critiques of the narrative. hmm, might want to rethink your everything.

>types like a nigger

yeah, i agree. it's like they had a great idea but failed in the execution. might have been better to go the simpler thesis + antithesis = synthesis route. anyways, i doubt this gets a second season. i wasn't as entranced by the series as i have been by her other efforts. maybe it's time to move on. i wonder how it has done ratings/viewer-wise. it doesn't seem to be an expensive show to produce, unlike The Get Down, so who knows if it will return?

>doesn't have any actual rebuttals to any of the criticisms presented ITT

It's not bad but the last 10min of the final episode really soured the entire program for me.It was pretty laughable

[Good points, I agree with you. Her sight returned and she was also gone for YEARS too. As if she could be hiding out, reading those books over and over making up this story. Showing the few books in the last episode provides no plausible alternative at all and felt really tacked on.]

There's a lot to like about it but it also had some (major) faults towards the end. The ending and whole dancing stuff was way too pretentious. Still it definitely did something very different so for that it deserves praise. A flawed 8/10.

It's excellent and an absolute kino

Is a excellent tory but the fucking hipster said that "this is garabage" becase they don't underestand the story

indeed. i admire that they attempted this story so i'll recommend it with caveats. it's an intriguing and captivating ride all the way until the final sequence. kudos to Brit and co.

you get three good episodes out of the series but that's about it. I recommend to stop watching it there and just kind of fill in its "mysteries" yourself because it'll be vastly superior then the bullshit that you would actually see.

Even though I've been guilty of OA shitposting this is probably the best thread so far in terms of critique and analysis.

I think that this was an incredibly strong series throughout. I loved the narrative and the unconventional storytelling. I keep on going back and forth as to whether or not I thought it was a strong or weak ending but yeah, it was fucking weird. Also agreed that Paz Vega's character was under utilised and would've been cool to see more from Sharon Van Etten's character too.

I pray there's a season 2.

Just watch The Sound of my Voice instead.

I really liked it but I wish they had come up with something better than dancing for the movements. I can also completely understand somebody that thinks it's the worst thing ever made though

Anyone else think the snowy Russian and Cuban scenes were comfy? Cool to see unexpected settings incorporated like that.

Opie and Anthony got back together to do a show on netflix?

The finale was the weakest episode for sure and felt rushed to me or maybe that was just messy writing.

Despite that I would like more but the only problem with them making a season 2 would be it would have to explain too much about the ending and last episode in general.

If her story was real or not. What happened to the rest of the prisoners & doctor. etc

If anything I'd just like to see Brit and Zal challenge themselves to come up with a an unambiguous and satisfying ending.

I mean, I loved the endings to Sound of My Voice, Another Earth, I Origins and The East but once, maybe just this once, Brit can do it as this is a series after all.

The last 10 minutes or so was total bullshit but overall I liked it a lot.