/wwhpg/ - Wizarding World of Harry Potter General

Wizarding World of Harry Potter General

Discuss the best all-ages franchise.
Is this a thread for shitting on Harry Potter? "No!"
Come in, get comfy, stretch your legs, and talk about the past, present and future of the Wizarding World.

***Note to overzealous janitors***
**Harry Potter is a film franchise. Stop being edgy faggots.**

>>>/tumblr/

Nigger, I don't even know how to use tumblr.

DULLEST

stop spamming

It goes without saying that this is indeed one of the dullest franchises in the history of movie franchises though.

Seriously each episode following the boy wizard and his pals from Hogwarts Academy as they fight assorted villains has been indistinguishable from the others. Aside from the gloomy imagery, the series’ only consistency has been its lack of excitement and ineffective use of special effects, all to make magic unmagical, to make action seem inert.

Perhaps the die was cast when Rowling vetoed the idea of Spielberg directing the series; she made sure the series would never be mistaken for a work of art that meant anything to anybody?just ridiculously profitable cross-promotion for her books. The Harry Potter series might be anti-Christian (or not), but it’s certainly the anti-James Bond series in its refusal of wonder, beauty and excitement. No one wants to face that fact. Now, thankfully, they no longer have to.

>a-at least the books were good though
"No!"
The writing is dreadful; the book was terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time a character went for a walk, the author wrote instead that the character "stretched his legs."

I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Rowling's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that she has no other style of writing. Later I read a lavish, loving review of Harry Potter by the same Stephen King. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are reading Harry Potter at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to read Stephen King." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you read "Harry Potter" you are, in fact, trained to read Stephen King.

LOOOL!!! I ONLY COME TO THESE THREADS FOR THIS :DDD

XD :PPP

why does this upset plebs so much?
why did you say it goes without saying and then proceed to say?

see
>**Harry Potter is a film franchise. Stop being edgy faggots.**

>harry potter is so shitty!
>its for babbies!
>lets talk about it all the time...!
Why do people who are embarrassed about liking something feel compelled to shit on the thing they like? You dipshits are like little kids on the playground, pulling the pigtails of the girl you like. If you actually hated it or were indifferent to you would ignore it altogether.

Hey guys what do you think of my fan fic OC character?

Name: Delphini
Nickname: The Augurey, Delphi, "The banging older girl"(according to Ron)

Voldemort and Bella's secret daughter
Really powerful as a result of her parentage - can easily outfight Harry, Ron, Hermione and Draco combined
Really proficient in the dark arts
Can fly without a broom
Really pretty (Albus falls in love with her straight away and makes Scorpious jealous when he sees Albus kissing her)
Nihilistic and a wicked sense of humour
Natually talented in magic without even attending Hogwarts
Doesnt have any problems casting the killing curse
Has a really cool tattoo of an augurey on her neck Stop PMing me asking why thats why

Loves: the forbidden curses, snakes, Albus(although she doesnt show it), Slytherins, Augureys, her lost father Voldemort, being badass
Hates: Mudbloods, Gryffindors, Her carer Euphemia

Hairy pooter is OKish

So how big is the population of the Wizarding World

>DUDE I'M NOT GETTING BANNED BUT I'M GOING TO KEEP SPAMMING ANYWAYS LMAO

Way to abuse someone who does it for free on a site that is understaffed already jerk.

Including elves, goblins, giants, centaurs and such?

Can i use her in my time travel story pls i need an oc to include in it youll get full credit

>Way to abuse someone who does it for free
"It" being behave like a shitter? Deleting threads about a movie franchise on Sup Forums is just petty BS.

Thank you for sharing an on

I was wondering about just wizards. JKR says only 3,000 live in Britain but that seems way too small. Now that you mention it, though, I'm wondering about the other magic beings as well.

Its not funny anymore m8.

Then take the hint and f*ck off?

>JKR says only 3,000 live in Britain but that seems way too small
Yeah, that can't be right. Hogwarts can accommodate 1,000 students at a time and they only service the UK area.
>he says in a thread about a thing he doesn't like

>Yeah, that can't be right. Hogwarts can accommodate 1,000 students at a time and they only service the UK area.
It also seems like Diagon Alley and Knockturn Alley wouldn't be able to support themselves. Unless all the wizards just constantly went there and bought stuff.

>he says in a thread about a thing he doesn't like
This isn't reddit or whatever Sup Forums general you decided to leave. He isn't going to protect you.

kys fags

Who the fuck is "he," you fucking retard? There is no rule against making Harry Potter threads on Sup Forums. It's a movie franchise and this is the board for movies and TV. Stop being a fucking petulant child.
Why would there even be a Ministry of Magic for the UK if there were only 3,000 wizards in the area?

-grabs him by the throat- back the fuck off!?!?

>scar on the side of his forehead
>instead of the center
always bothered me

That's how JK envisioned it.

>Who the fuck is "he," you fucking retard?
Rood
>There is no rule against making Harry Potter threads on Sup Forums. It's a movie franchise and this is the board for movies and TV.
There should be, especially for outsiders trying to start general threads. And don't pretend you're not just trying to discuss the awful books ;)
>Stop being a fucking petulant child.
But it's a series for children so that's the only way to act when discussing(see: complaining about children's media) it.

>can't talk about movies on the movie board

hhhhhheh

she also "envisioned" characters shitting and massive orgies in the male dormitories

>hurr newfag reddit durr
kys yourself

>one of the oldest pure blood families
>Dad and son in really high positions in the ministry
>dad is constantly making contact with the muggle world
>dads role in the ministry is also to carry out raids on "undesirables" in the magical community without a need for warrants
>one son is now married to the Minister of Magic
>same son and his brother is now in control of a company that produces products used by every young wizard
>Same son had a hand in engineering the downfall of Voldemort and the old order supported by nearly every other pure blood magic family, with the result being the last members of their lines either dead or imprisoned
>one daughter is now married to Harry Potter himself
>One other daughter is most likely going to marry a Malfoy
>Malofy's son just straight up developes a crush on their daughter even though she was mean to him
>Family owned shop is a well known producer of love potions

Whats the next step in their master plan and what is their end game?

>tumblr is JK Rowling
Holy fuck!

do the math. 4 houses, 7 years, 2 dorms per house (guys and girls). Harry's dorm has ~7 guys in it, meaning that his Gryffindor year has only 7 guys. Assume that there's roughly an equal amount of girls too, and that all 4 houses have similar demographics. Therefore, the total amount of students at Hogwarts is

4 (houses)*7 (years) *2( dorms/house)*7 (students/dorm) = 392

there are only ~400 kids at Hogwarts. So if you assume that each family in the UK has about 1.5 kids (the national average), then there are only about 270 wizarding households in the whole UK

She's terrible at math though. She said that was an oversight and you could just assume there's more 'off screen'.

>Harry Potter is a film franchise.
Bullshit, they were books first and best.
>autism

are these gay orgies or straight orgies?

>Arthur and Percy in "really high positions" at the Ministry
Fucking kek! Arthur was a middling desk jockey in a joke of a department and was constantly getting shit on, and Percy was a sniveling assistant to a sniveling loser who got ousted for being a fuckup.

>YouTube culturefag too
WHAT A F*CKING SURPRISE. Looks like the good mod logged off now too so you get to keep your anti Sup Forums thread though so congrats.

shit authors are shit at math

see the got fatman

yes

kill urself numale

who the fuck knows

rowling used to tweet about how her characters wiped their asses

>Harry's dorm has ~7 guys in it
But that's wrong. Look at the tables in the Grand Hall during ceremonies and shit. Each house has at least 200 students at those long ass tables.

Harry should have ended up with Luna Lovegood

discuss

Yeah and after the second war Percy became head of wizarding transport, working directly under Minister Shacklebolt, and Arthurs still the head of a department that can carry out no warrant raids with minimal oversight.

she britted up

>bring up youtube out of nowhere like an absolute autist
I can't even tell how retarded you are any more because you've gone beyond full retard.

This but unironically

>there are only ~400 kids at Hogwarts. So if you assume that each family in the UK has about 1.5 kids (the national average), then there are only about 270 wizarding households in the whole UK
Nigga
What about the former students? What about the wizards without kids?

All I know is that there's only one room in the dorms per year, and that room is occupied by Harry's crew. Unless you want to say that the dorms superimpose shitloads of rooms literally inside the same space with magic and they open up to the matching necessary room based on who's opening the door

90% of people that like stuff like this as adults enough to post about it regularly on the internet are permanent teenagers, and so trapped in an unending state of loving and hating everything. Just look at Sup Forums

>Harry's dorm has ~7 guys in it
It has exactly 5.

Dean, Seamus, Neville, Ron, and Harry. Black-Gryfindor-who-isn't-Dean from the movies (a single movie) is non-canon.

There are 40 students in Harry's year. Each House is split evenly between guys and girls, with 5 each.

Keep in mind, Harry was born in a year where Voldemort was at his peak killing wizards. The population was artificially low until at least 9 months after Voldemort died, at which point you would expect a post-war boom. Starting in Harry's 3rd year, but mostly in his 4th, you would expect more than 20 boys and 20 girls per year.

>people who read are less likely to support a reality tv star as president
Wow!

this

same for videogames, star wars and lord of the rings

manchildren "taste"

so did Voldemort kill like 99% of all UK wizards during the 1st wizard war? how much damage did Grindelwald do?

This. Pottertrash teaches children to just be passive. It's revenge fantasy, it glorifies passivity. Harry's volition is abnegated. This is also a criticism that could be made about a lot of other children's stories: they teach passivity by having characters who are passive but virtuous triumph over characters who are evil but actually do something.

This creates a bubble of narcissism around the psyche of the child which must painfully be broken.

The child thinks that just because they don't hurt anyone and rather are the type of person to get hurt by others, they have some sort of value in life, they'll be rewarded. The actual and sad truth (as you all know) is that we all have to steer our own fates and work hard towards our happiness.

This isn't what you wanna hear if you're an adult child who was raised on Harry Potter.

Ravenclaw and Gryffindor have entire towers for their dorms and common rooms. And Hufflepuff and Slytherin have entire sub-levels for theirs. What we see in the movie is not the entirety of the dorms. Did you also assume that only Gryffindor has dorms since you never saw the other house's dorms?

>assuming rowling thought that far

I don't like LOTR a ton but I haven't seen this with LOTR fans so much. Maybe the books are too old fashioned to be hugely accessible for most millenials?

Mind I'm not saying all video game or harry potter or comic book fans are like this by any means, just most of the type that post about them on Sup Forums. Especially cartoon and comic fans.

Is Fantastic Beasts canon to the books or just the movies? asking for a friend

90% of the people who make posts like this are hypocrites so lacking in self-awareness that they feel smug and empowered for bashing losers while on a site exclusively for losers.

3 > 4 > 8 > 1 > 5 > 6 > 7 > 2

These criticisms apply to most children's media. The villain is always far more proactive and capable than the hero, who usually wins purely by coincidence, deus ex machina, or destiny.

>hehe... n-not all of t-them are like t-that, a-alright

back to Sup Forums, kid

I felt neither smug nor powerful while posting that ;_;

Voldemort was still fighting the Ministry and Order so his plans never got off the ground. He was killing wizards, but not en masse. That's why only a handful of students at Hogwarts during Harry's years had dead parents or relatives.
But most of what Grindelwald did is still up in the air. The Fantastic Beasts series will flesh that out.

>6 and 7 that low
Pfft. Fucking casual. Get on my level.

Switch CoS and GoF and you are correct.

>He was killing wizards, but not en masse.

>Every week, news comes of more deaths, more disappearances, more torturing…

The ministry was keeping a running tally of all the dead wizards. It was within weeks of falling before Voldermort's fluke death, and was so within the power of Voldemort and his supporters that the only people who went to prison were the ones who didn't have the idea to lie about supporting him. Imagine if every Nazi went free unless at the Nuremberg Trials they got on the stand and said "Yes I'm a Nazi, yes I killed Jews, no I don't regret it, and yes I will continue to commit genocide unless someone stops me!"

HBP is pretty goddamn kino.
>muh green filter!
It's called artistry. Not everything needs to be true to life.
Goblet of Fire is just too much of an underdog competition movie. Very formulaic and out of step with the franchise, which is primary 'whodunnits.'

which wandkino movie has the most kino moments in it?

Books alter your mind and your perception of the world powerfully. What goes into your head has an effect. Same for all the other media you consume --- TV you watch, magazines and newspaper articles, music you listen to, etc.

Now, this is especially true for children. Children are extraordinarily influenced by what they read as well as by what they watch and what other they consume, because they've had far less time to develop and to absorb a lot of life so they could make reasoned judgments on how realistic or unrealistic, moral or immoral, good or bad a work of art is.

They take what they read as gospel about human nature. Children are being educated about what the world is like and how to think and feel when they read Harry Potter (and of course also when they consume other media). If you're getting these cliched views about human nature, with, moreover, something that reinforces your childish narcissism and escapism, it's not gonna be good.

Voldemort was still operating in secret, in hiding, and recruiting children. His plans never really took off. The Ministry was on the verge of collapse because cowards were fleeing, and the ministry is an almost cartoonish satire of government, with every politician being a coward.

i elected trump fag hp is great lolling at your life whining in every hp thread :^)

WORST. INTRO. EVER.

I consumed tons of trash media as a kid and I always thought the heros were dumb and the villains were the coolest.

>Captain Planet is the weapon against pollution
>Pollution is his kryptonite

Heros suck, villains a best.

>children's books were written by great philosophers and scientists before JK Rowling came along!
Please kys. You're a pseudo-intellectual shitter with nothing to add to any conversation about anything ever.

>Siding with the janitors.
What are you? Reddit?

Why does everyone love 3 so much? I thought it was obnoxious.

I think Narnia and the Hobbit beat Harry Potter personally, not to say Harry Potter was trash or that those books don't have the same problems he's leveling at HP.

its brown yellow red blue green black and white etc

The Harry Potter series is vapidly narcissistic. Everything is about Harry, how he starts off as an abused weakling and then is revealed to be the world's most powerful wizard by absolutely no doing of his own. It doesn't matter what Harry does, what matters is that he just IS great, IS amazing no matter what, and so are his friends, of course, to the degree that they love him, but of course none of them are so great as him.

It's psychologically injurious wish-fulfillment. The morals, the divisions between good and evil, are trite and simplistic. It's clear what camp everyone falls into.

Voldemort is evil, he must be killed. Yay, he's dead, everything's better now.

The greatest it tries to develop any ambiguity is the terribly cliched Snape, basically just a shitty Byronic hero who critics are amazed by because it seems great compared to the rest of the series.

>I think Narnia and the Hobbit beat Harry Potter
Narnia is just Christian propaganda and The Hobbit is really poorly written. Tolkien crafted a very interesting world, but he was a shit writer.

>Harry Potter is narcissistic because it's about the title character!
There's that pseudo-intellectualism.

Right, so let's say 400 wizard kids. Those kids are between 11 and 18 years old. I'd estimate with typical demographics kids between 11 and 18 years make up for about 15 percent of the entire population. I'd say Wizards may live longer than muggles, so it might be lower, maybe just 10 percent. So you end up with 3000 - 4000 wizards overall. So it's pretty legit what Rowling stated.

>Narnia is just Christian propaganda
So is Harry Potter and the bulk of all child hero narratives.

> and The Hobbit is really poorly written.
You fucker

I'm playing my cards right since they've been given the ability to ban people now since thwe man power for moderation is actually really low right now. Remember these people do it for free and know more about you than the mods who only come to a board once in a while

>So is Harry Potter
BS. Witches and sorcery are about as un-Christian as it gets. Christians were losing their minds over Harry Potter when it got huge.
>You fucker
You brought this on yourself for being a dummy.

>i-i'm only being a faget s-so the fagets w-wont ban me...!