How come Jackson never got any flak for turning the only dwarf character into retarded comic relief?

How come Jackson never got any flak for turning the only dwarf character into retarded comic relief?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=NLwmFplNnbM
youtube.com/watch?v=kyevhryWKHk
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

he was already comic relief in the books

Literally no one has sympathy for manlets.

Because despite being a source of humor he was still shown to be a brave, capable fighter on par with the other characters.

I always hated this, and I've heard some complain but my biggest problem is that he had so few lines in general

What were the point of dwarves in the Tolkienverse anyway?

Elves were created to be perfect or some shit like that. Then God decides he wants beings with free will, so he makes men. Where do dwarves fit in?

They were created by a different god than men and elves, they're basically a cosmic mistake

They were the Jews of middle earth

>Elves were created to be perfect or some shit like that. Then God decides he wants beings with free will, so he makes men.
This is not even remotely true.

>Where do dwarves fit in?

An autistic angel named Aulë really really wanted his own living action figures and so created them. Then God felt sorry for them and gave them souls.

The same for Ents technically.
Also I don't mind too much about him being the comic relief. The few moments of "straight man" he has are worth seven times the entire character of Legolas.
youtube.com/watch?v=NLwmFplNnbM

One of the gods jumped the gun because he was bored waiting for elves and men to show up so he made stone-people. Then the true god made them living but made them sit in time out for awhile, and they go somewhere different when they die than elves or men

Quads confirm.

Why didn't Gimli show up in The Battle of the Five Armies?

And all of them are in the extended edition or FotR.
youtube.com/watch?v=kyevhryWKHk

I thought Merry and Pippin were the comic relief? Legolas and Gimli had a good chemistry, kind of like when the white guy and the black guy end up being friends in American History X

This. Let's rank the Fellowship on general greatness:

Gandalf > Aragorn > Sam > Boromir (he deserved better) > Frodo > Gimli > Merry = Pippin > Legless

Not a Tolken fag here, but my understanding is that dwarves were created not by the main god, but by one of the lesser one and the main. Main god took pitty on it and let him have his dwarves,

NOBODY throws a DWARF!

Are dwarves immortal or just live a long time? Are wizards immortal or just live a long time? Are wizards a different race?

can there be midget dwarves?
how small would their fingers be?

>Are dwarves immortal or just live a long time?
Dwarves just live a long time.

>Are wizards immortal or just live a long time?
Wizards are immortal.

>Are wizards a different race?
The wizards are 5 Maiar (angels/gods) who have taken the form of old men and were sent to help Middle Earth against Sauron (only 1 of them actually helps so they kinda suck).

Yes and yes.

Why did the dwarves in The Hobbit look like shit?

because he was like that in the books?

Why do redditors pretend to have read LOTR?

There's only 5 wizards? They cant go back to being angels? What is Sauron exactly? Is he an angel/god? Why did the elves and humans fight? What about Saruman? Did he just become corrupted?

I'm interested in this stuff but havent went into the extended lore.

there is a wiki, use it

>There's only 5 wizards? They cant go back to being angels?

Yes. They are still angels, but while in Middle Earth they are limited to mortal bodies (they're only supposed to be helping out, not fighting the entire war).

> What is Sauron exactly? Is he an angel/god?
Sauron is also a Maia. There are two types of angel/god. The more powerful, the Valar, and the less powerful, the Maiar.

> Why did the elves and humans fight?
Why did they fight Sauron? He was trying to conquer Middle Earth.

> What about Saruman? Did he just become corrupted?
Saruman was the leader of the wizards. He became corrupted. He decided both that there was no point in trying to beat Sauron, and that the Ring was a really great idea. So he allied with Sauron with the intention of betraying him and taking the Ring himself to control. He even started experimenting building rings of his own.

wrong

Aule created the dwarves because he couldn't wait for elves anymore, and he wanted to teach what he knew to elves, but they wouldn't come. He liked to create things, so he created them.

He got caught, had a talk with Eru, felt sorry and he said to him that he would destroy them. So he took his hammer, raised it above the dwarves to smash them, and the dwarves seemed affraid. So when Eru saw that, he realized that dwarves were entities on their own, since if they were just part of Eru they wouldn't react to the anticipation of his hammer blow.

So he let them live, but he asked Aule to hide them somewhere and make them sleep. They shouldn't awake before the elves did. Aule hid them here and there, mostly in the Blue Mountains and the Misty Mountains, and this division made the dwarven clans known afterwards.

Like elves, dwarven souls don't leave Arda, and go in a special pocket made for them in Mandos caverns. There is a lot of reincarnation beliefs in dwarven cultures, especially regarding the reincarnations of Durin, but I don't think it was ever confirmed if it is real or just a belief. Elves can indeed come back to life, but I think dwarves stay in Mandos Caverns until Dagor Dagorath, when they will rebuild the world with Aule.

It is unclear if the dwarves existed before the elves, or if the elves were already asleep on the shores of Cuivenien when Aule created the 7 fathers of the dwarves. Only Orome went to these parts in those times, and he was the one to find the elves, but he found them only many years after the moment they woke.

In the book him and Legolas barely have characters, though

I think it should be specified that Maiar and Valar are of the same nature, they aren't two separate races, like angels and gods would be. They are ainurs. Valar just happen to be the best of their kind, some sort of noble ainur if you will, while maiar are servants ainurs, the pleb and common folk of the divine beings.

Manlets have a shitty union

>, and the dwarves seemed affraid. So when Eru saw that, he realized that dwarves were entities on their own, since if they were just part of Eru they wouldn't react to the anticipation of his hammer blow.because Eru had already gave them souls.

Don't fucking answer people if you don't know what the fuck you're talking about.

>since if they were just part of Eru they wouldn't react to the anticipation of his hammer blow.
Meant "part of Aule"

Haven't you read the "Of Aule and Yavanna" Silmarillion chapter?

Have you? Because if you had, you would fucking know Eru didn't "realize anything."

>Thy offer I accepted even as it was made.

I liked him
His banter with Legolas showed some humor in an otherwise depressing atmosphere.

why didnt the valar just wipe the slate clean and destroy sauron?

He fucking was. All the dwarves were barmy as fuck since The Hobbit. Hobbits and Dwarves are on average more carefree than men; like drinkin and partying.

The last time the Valar came to Middle Earth half the continent was destroyed.

Because the people left on Middle-Earth by the Third Age are either there on their own volition (like the remaining elves) or are humans who had shitty ancestors that joined Melkor in the past or refused the help of the Valar.

If you are a human and don't have some blood of Hador, Haleth or Beor in your veins, you are barely more than an animal for the Valar.

What's with this post-anniversary reconstruction of Gimli's character? Everybody suddenly says Hackson made him too much of a comic relief, or that he was characterized as such.

Yeah, he had a lot of funny lines, but most if not all of them were charming. There were plenty of wise characters in the films. Gimli's charm stood out and didn't also take away from him being a strong character. In fact, I'd say it makes him a better character because it makes his serious moments more poignant. When the jokes stop and Gimli says he could die side by side with a friend, you feel the genuine emotion in it.

You kids need to go to school.

Perfectly reasonable.

Literally the only good character.

Gandalf = boring Gary Stu
Frodo + Sam = homo faggots
Legoass = prancing faggot
Greasehair + that faggot who always dies in every movie = boring faggots

There were some other two insufferable midgets as well if I remember right but those were utterly forgettable.

>What's with this post-anniversary reconstruction of Gimli's character? Everybody suddenly says
Is this the "everyone said the prequels were good initially" lie of LOTR? Do I need to point to forums 10 years ago complaining about Gimli?

And no, making him a retard does not make him a "strong character."

The Hobbit was infinitely better than LotR, and incidentally it also had many more dwarves.

open the book before you talk. Hobbits and dwarves are light hearted, a little dumb and take things less serious.

>book nerds complaining the movies weren't perfect

wow color me surprised

This. He was their "tank".

Same reason the orcs and goblins did. It's quicker and cheaper to do everything CGI then spending time and effort on hand-crafting individual costumes. LOTR was a passion project with years of pre production. The Hobbit was Jackson struggling to finish something he didnt start.

DELET

He was not a bumbling comic relief, he even kills more orcs at Helms Deep than Legolas.

This. He cries true tears on Balin's Tomb. He is hopeful when the sun rises on Helm's Deep. He faces Eomer with determination. He is trully humble when he faces Galadriel.
His "combat slapstick "seems funnier because he grunts loudly and watching a midget flying is funnier than watching a regular sized dude flying.