So we all agree then? this is better than the movie

so we all agree then? this is better than the movie.

Violet a cute! CUTE!

Fuck no

NPH is a better Count Olaf
JC was, just JC.

It got me so interested in the series again and brought the childhood nostalgia flooding back. I just spent an hour on the wiki reading up on the lore. Now I feel like a kid again, hoping the orphans get a better ending than in the books.

God, I don't know. Not really.

I wanted the same level of gut-punching sadness as the first season of True Detective. Instead we get nothing but bright, but pastel colored nerdy quirk and changes to the original story that make it even less dark.

I get that its hard to balance the flamboyancy and intimidation that Olaf is supposed to be characterized by, but just abandoning any intimidation at all just makes him feel like a villain-of-the-week in Scooby Doo that sticks around too long.

Except the books were never gut-punchingly sad. If anything the movie ruined them by going too dark and humorless.

Don't forget that this is for children.

Its also a Netflix show and doesn't have to cowtow to censors and obviously I'm not talking about changing the plot, I'm talking about the delivery. The writing, the sets, and lighting and shot composition. Everything seems to be put together to blunt the effect of what's actually happening to these kids and I was hoping Netflix would have more balls.

Yes it's great. The movie felt rushed cramming three books into >2 hours. The format of ~1.5 hours per book works really well.

>changes to the original story that make it even less dark.
Like what?

Sunny escaping the birdcage by beating one of the henchmen at poker and Josephine not trying to give the kids up in exchange for her life before being thrown to the leaches to name a couple.

are the books worth it?

But don't you remember the books? Snicket was constantly quipping, getting side-tracked and putting in explanations to dispel the darkness. I understand not liking it, but you can't exactly fault the show for doing the same.

I'm only on ep3 but there were plenty of scenes that made me feel for the kids. Violet's face when she gets caught climbing the tower, the wedding scene, the bit with "The world is quiet here". There's a good balance and I like that. And it's bound to get more dark as it progresses. The last 3-4 books were fucked up.

No. The lack of a satisfying ending completely ruins the excellent build up. Its obvious the author decided half-way through or further through the 13th book that it would be the end given how he doesn't even try to tie up most of the loose ends.

You're presumably a grown-ass man so likely not, they might seem immature and clunky to you. But when I was a kid I was obsessed. My childhood was fucked up at times so I would always imagine myself as one of the kids.

Yeah the poker thing was kind of dumb. I had forgotten about Aunt Josephine trying to trade the children. I guess you're right.

They're entertaining enough, albeit a bit repetitive. This though , also the deeper plots about secret organizations and such doesn't really come into play before halfway through the series, they also seem like an afterthought.

Aunt Phobia was shit, pretty sure actres can act but why the fuck she refused to here?

The ending was perfect imo. A sad ending would leave fans disappointed, and a happy ending would make them angry. It was really the only way he could've ended it.

And he was successful. Years later and people are still talking about it and demanding answers.

I never remember the tension of a scene being absolutely deflated by him or something one of the characters says or do. There's comedy in the books but its way fucking darker and more cynical than a show NPH is going to headline.

...SHE'S SO FUCKING HOT!!!

I found NPH constantly putting his hands all over Violet and saying "I'll take what I want" to be a lot more disturbing than I remember the books.

read one book and you've read them all, literally

it's the same plot over and over again in a different setting

The movie had better graphics and actors but the plot and dialogue in the show is much more compelling

>I wanted the same level of gut-punching sadness as the first season of True Detective
>out of a show based on quirky children's books

>Years later and people are still talking about it and demanding answers.
Or, in my case, actively dissuading people from starting the books because looking back, I understand the questions, conspiracies, and secret societies were just cheap narrative devices to keep people interested instead of anything important enough to be explained.

So yeah. Read the books I guess, just understand that everything beyond the competent guardian of the week and Olaf's scheme for that book doesn't matter and expect no closure or even explanation

>I found NPH constantly putting his hands all over Violet and saying "I'll take what I want" to be a lot more disturbing than I remember the books.

I fucking wish his hands were all over her in every scene they were in, instead he does that maybe twice in between quips and slapstick. Again, the tone and characterization of the show is fucking blunted and inconsistent for no reason other than apparently kids not being able to handle a well adapted version of kids books.

The movie had a nice bitter sweetness to it, but maybe the show will do the same if it can get its three seasons.

The show did everything else better.

She's 13, you disgusting pedo.

fuck of back to Sup Forums

Him getting close to her was creepy. Hook hand guy and the other henchman said creepy stuff to her too.

She's almost legal here in Italy

>so we all agree then? this is better than the movie
Nice try, Stefano. Nice try...

I've never been to Sup Forums in my life and I don't play video games you dumb faggot, kill yourself

>"I didn't realize it was a sad occasion."
God I love the little references.

In the book he touches her hair in that scene. I wonder why they didn't film it...

> and I don't play video games you dumb faggot, kill yourself
Sounds like you'd fit right in.

The only thing the movie did better was Monty and Klaus

What's the setting of the books? The movie looks like a more advanced, alternate world 19th century, with cars etc, but the series is pretty much the 1950s.

Bullshit, the movie is unironically kino.

I think it's just supposed to be an alternative universe. I got the '50s/gothic vibe from the books, but there is also computers although no cellphones.

wtf how do netflix know about us

le secrit klub XDXD

Only until the Vile Village. Before that it's mostly just introducing characters to be killed later.

I rewatched the movie in prep. It's flawed but my god has it got some kino scattered in it. The music and that ending when they go back to the house was so emotional. The show is good too i think but it doesn't take anything seriously. NPH is far better but Jim Carrey wasn't as bad as I remembered him being. I cant believe I'm saying this but I think I may like the movie slightly more. Do I have autism?

i mean look at her
wouldn't you?

Not really, she only ever has one expression

Even when she's supposed to be angry it seems like she's smiling

but NPH was just NPH too, he really didn't sell the performance

I so want to overlay a Neutral Milk Hotel song overtop of that image.

Liam Aitken was a cuter Klaus and that's all that matters to me

It changed so fucking much from the books how can this be any better than the movie
>Aunt Josephine niggress
>Count Olaf goes to shit after episode 2
>Will Arnett is one of the parents
>Patrick Warburton as Lemony Snickett

Only watched the first 6 episodes so far but holy shit is this show dumb, the movie was better but Carrey felt more sinister at times, in this show Count Olaf is more uppity and shit, like NPH is trying too hard, he was really only good the first two episodes. But like I said, I have yet to get to the episodes where Count Olaf becomes a trap so I can't wait to see how they fuck that up

Do you think he insists on singing in everything he's in?

Keep watching.

You must have given them the password you fucking normie traitor.

Also
>Violet is loli jail bait

>hoping the orphans get a better ending than in the books.

It's noooot that kind of stoooooooory

Movie had a lot more emotional envolvment i thought. There are a lot of scenes that are legitimately heartfelt. Show is just straight up comedy. Thats fine i guess but idk I still prefer the movie.

Who did everyone envision when reading the books who would play Olaf?

In my mind it was always Alan Rickman, shame he died as I feel like he would have been a perfect fit for Count Olaf

He's a thespian at heart. The theater folks have to sing fucking 24/7.

Charles Dance

Eh. Olaf has a comedic side to him and I don't think he could pull it off. Remember, Olaf is an eccentric, and shitty, actor.

he pulled off some comedic moments in Dogma

Sorry, it's a shit story with dumb characters acting dumb and annoying. Maybe fun for children between 6 and 12

Why was Count OIaf such a meanie? :(

Mr. Poe is great, and I like how Aunt Josephine and Uncle Monty were adapted, but the rest of the show is lackluster.

He was cucked by Lemony Snicket's sister. Not even joking.

The Baudelaire's parents murdered his mother and father, for starters.

It's been a while since I read the books but I do know the Snickets become more involved as the books go along.

nice bait

How do the books end?

>implying incompetent black men are not entertaining to watch

On a Island...and...not everything gets answered...and I don't think they leave???

I don't fucking know read the wiki. I remember I was disappointed aswell though.

The books are set in a vague amalgamation of the 20th century with black and white movies alongside an 'advanced computer'. The prequel books are firmly 40s-esque noir.

ASOUE was never supposed to be victorian/steampunk/whatever, always thought that was a strange design choice in the movie.

Every character possibly dead except the Baudelaires and Lemony Snicket Also possibly the entire planet. Maybe.

>implying recasting white characters as black is okay to do
>implying they didn't fuck up Mr. Poe's character played by a bad actor

They live there for a good while with the new baby, but then at the very end of the book they decide to leave after all.

I didn't read the books so I don't know how Mr. Poe is supposed to be, but he's funny in the show, I like seeing him more than the children.

If you haven't read the books, the show is probably a million times better but honestly try out the books man, the first like 7 are pretty short

>Didn't scrap the 1st book's twist and then spit in the viewers' faces that they did it.

Yes.

>>Didn't scrap the 1st book's twist and then spit in the viewers' faces that they did it.
What twist? And how did the movie spit in the viewers face about it?

>no one posting Klaus

Its a bit too silly. Needs to be darker but still quirky, just less so.

Olaf is a bit too small, he's suppose. To be tall and scary. This Olaf seems like a snarky gay uncle.

Just less silliness is what it needs.

I agree

Somewhere, Wes Anderson is cumming in his pants

I noticed this hidden VFD eye in the first trailer, but I didn't notice anything else like that when I watched the show. Did anybody else happen to notice any?

Obviously, I'm talking about eyes that were hidden naturally in the environment, not just ones in windows or drawn on the wall or something.

I knew this will show up in Sup Forums eventually when he's wearing this

Did you notice the lake lachrymose map was a BFF symbol?

Violet signing with her left hand to invalidate the marriage.
In the movie Klaus just burns the marriage license paper, but they have Olaf catching Violet trying to sign with her left hand so it was like, "we acknowledge that is is what the ending was supposed to be, but we're changing it completely because fuck you."

I havent watched it yet, did I like it?

Vfd**

Oh wow, no.

As someone who didn't read the books but saw the film, I think the TV show blows. The writing is stilted and rarely funny. The acting reminded how boring child actors can be. As it is, I have no idea why any of you are praising this show. I guess it must have aimed at pleasing the "fandom", successfully.

Didn't spot any hidden VDF symbols, but in one of Snicket's interludes (He's drinking tea and sitting by a window, it's in episode three I think), you can see Hector's Hot-Air Caravan from The Vile Village floating past the window outside. I thought that was a cool little thing.

Didn't Watch The Show: The Post: The Adaptation

Read my post, I'm only 6 episodes in, another user replied to tell me to keep watching

Richard E. Grant

>The acting reminded how boring child actors can be.
Holy fuck, this but honestly, I don't blame them. I'm fucking positive they were told by the direction to be as stone faced as possible.

more pics of schoolgirl Violet plox

Lemony Snicket was romantically involved with Beatrice, who is Mrs. Baudelaire. She chose someone else obviously, but that's part of his obsession with the orphans.

Because that's a dumbass twist.

While I'm enjoying the show so far, the acting is stale. Like I just watched some clips from the movie and the kids are pretty good. The designs and music were GOAT too.

Is that Rivers Cuomo on the left?

>Books are great for subtly weaving in a darker and more intense lore
>Very slight and easy to miss hints that something is going on around the Baudelaire's that's bigger than they realise
>Readers likely won't ever know the clown in TWW is trying to help them, until a rereading
>Answers are only rarely provided and will often lead to more questions
>Netflix series rolls around
>Every character is screaming "HELLO I AM PART OF SECRET ORGANISATION PLEASE DO NOT KNOW I AM PART OF THE SECRET ORGANISATION"
>Stuff that was in the background is shoved to the foreground
>Audiences aren't asked to piece together information out of clues, or even so much as given the opportunity to think for themselves.
>Everything is spelled out for them as soon as it's introduced

I get what they were trying to do, but holy shit this upsets me. It just feels like it flies in the face of everything I loved from the books. There's no real sense that the Baudelaire's are alone and helpless, or caught up in this enormous conspiracy beyond their comprehension, because the camera keeps cutting to all this ridiculous zany action.