Obscure recent horror

Do you guys have any recommendations for movies like this? It was worth it waiting for the one scene later in the film, gave me chills I haven't felt in a while.

I thought of the last broadcast, the blair witch project, and even trollhunter and the VHS movies to be kind of similar in way of a film starting with some people or a crew trying to find something out or just recording their adventures and having something weird happen.

I don't mean to shit on your thread like people usually do around here, but goddamn that movie was a fucking chore to sit through.
I've tried to watch it on 3 different occasions, but I can only watch so much 'nothing' before I get bored and frustrated.

I liked this movie too, OP. Yeah it's interesting how it's in a documentary format. The whole thing made me feel mildly unsettled, and then the end creeped me out good (not sure why exactly, maybe in part because there's no clear explanation why it happened to her).

I can't think of anything good that does the "found footage" thing. But if you like melancholic horror movies, Jacob's Ladder is great.

was it worth it in the end?

I can understand that, it takes too long to what its trying to build up to kind of, but I kind of like that because it was starting to feel like background noise, and then suddenly that scene happens and your snapped back into it.

not op but yes, it's beyond great, still haunt me

Are you talking about that one scene where she sees her own dead body?

That shit destroyed me.

I love the alchemist cookbook, its not found footage/mockumentary but have a dark tone similar in a way.

Oh , I forgot it, did you try ARGs? This house has people in it is the most similar I found to Lake mungo, it's amazing.

>mostly slow zoom-ins on photoshopped "photos"
>one actually mildly spooky video near the end

I nearly fell asleep watching this.

Noroi the curse is similar, jap shit but is entertaining enough to keep you watching it and it has a lot of moments like "if you put attention, you can see the shadow moving" type of stuff.

Also in documentary format.

That shit was spooky as fuck.

Also the scene about the neighbor escapades was fucking hot.

I love how it goes from mokumentary to horror to policial to lynchean horror , any other like that?

Underrated fucking movie

:{

The Wailing was good. Some out of place korean humor in the beginning but it finds its stride 1/3 of the way through.

>obscure movie
>discussed regularly around horror movie season

OP here, I want to explain why this scene is so dreadful.

The whole movie had been realistic, with the ghosts being faked and whatnot, but when this shit showed up it was absolutely horrifying because it was simply impossible.

Who was holding the phone? How is the body standing up? What is going on?

It's never answered, and the complete disbelief of it is what makes it disturbing, also mentioning the buildup, which the choppy editing where you couldn't make out the face and person at first was one of the most suspenseful moments for me.

The wailing was good, I got hooked once the action started picking up later in the movie. I like that the devil isn't just punishing people for their sins, he is CREATING the situations FOR people to commit sins, basically cheating.

>the ghosts being faked

confirmed for not finishing the movie. fucking moron.

I was talking about the first part where the guy admitted to faking the ghosts, not the later parts where they show there is really ghosts.

I know what you mean.

I was never able to put that shit into words why I nearly wet my pants in that scene.

I wish more people would see it too. I understand how some people would be tired at first since almost nothing happens in the first 45 minutes but holy shit did that scene wake me the fuck up.

There's no movie like Lake Mungo.

There is another afterdark horrorfest film that has a similar doppelganger concept (which I find terrifying) called The Abandoned (2006). There are generally quite a few hidden gems in the afterdark horrorfest list.

BLREIRGH!

Rude

The tunnel was just as good you fucking nigger

It falls in line with peaky blinders, tudors and god knows what other historical hokum gets filmed these days. See, it's divorced from reality and the reason it's divorced is not because it's some sort of fresh perspective on colonial age or indeed a commentary on how gigantic corporation influences our lives that still resonates today, but this divorce comes from how gimpy the characters are. It's all fine and well that they have an agenda, ailment or a facial twitch, but every single one of them just comes prancing on stage and whips out their cue, to no error, even stutter feels contrived and rehearsed. I guess tv shows are another victim of american comic books because I have no idea where this would fit better, a decent premise ruined by quips and ready made personalities.

My mom fed me carrots today.

When they find the video where she looks shook-up and she's burying her phone, I got major chills and was super anxious to see what was on it.

Its an entity from another dimension and near it time and space distorts.

Fucking loved Lake Mungo, perfect little ghost story. That one goddamn scene freaked me out, very well executed.

Check out The Borderlands, a British found footage film about Vatican agents investigating a claim of a miracle in a small English town. It's folk horror-ish, but modern. Weird rural shit juxtaposed with thoroughly mundane and modern trappings like local take out stores and shithead kids. But it's all about events surrounding a local church.