1970's Noir Kino

Just watched these back to back

Is the 1970's the most kino era for noir films?

Hit me up with some more if you have any suggestions

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/jr9HymWe19g
paulschrader.org/articles/pdf/1974-FCYakuza.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

This isn't really a "deep cut" but it still holds up as possibly best noir of the 70's.

70s was the apex of neo-Noir, yes.

The Driver
The Mechanic
French Connection
Prince of the City
Serpico
The Seven-Ups
Cruising

A couple of those are 80s.

From 1967 but close enough

Not a great movie, but worth one watch at least.

I despise Robert Altman

Anyway I would say I prefer 80s/90s neo-noir, the harsh lighting and washed-out photography of the 70's didn't really lend itself too well to the noir atmosphere

Get Carter - 1971 - Brilliant and classic piece of noir from across the pond.

Straight Time

I don't care, if you like Noir you must watch Orson Welles.

The Third Man
Touch of Evil

Dog Day Afternoon

The Parallax View

>dat cinematography

Notable for being written by an uncredited Michael Mann.

Technically made in '81, but Cutter's Way is good and still has a very '70s noir feel

The Friends of Eddie Coyle

youtu.be/jr9HymWe19g

Charley Varrick
Electra Glide in Blue
The Outfit
The Taking of Pelham One Two Three
The Yakuza
Rolling Thunder
Prime Cut
Mean Streets
Farewell, My Lovely (Mitchum version)

The Castle Of Sand
Graveyard Of Honor

Late 60's
Harper
The Killers (Siegel)
Point Blank

Melville

70's flavor: The Nice Guys, Inherent Vice

Who Framed Roger Rabbit, screenplay was originally a sequel to Chinatown

The Long Goodbye is fucking great.
You're a fucking fag. LA Confidential isn't even good. The plot is weak and the characters are lousy.
And what fucking neo-noir was there in the 80's and 90's besides LA Confidential?

>Who Framed Roger Rabbit, screenplay was originally a sequel to Chinatown
That can't be true. Chinatown already had a sequel way before that and WFRR is just a children's remake of Chinatown.

Good post, I almost replied the same thing to that guy but decided it wasn't worth the effort

It's more neo-noir, but To Live and Die in LA is fantastic.

The Yakuza if you want a more Oriental flare to your neo noir. It's from Sydney Pollack and stars Robert Mitchum and Ken Takakura. It's amazing, but was criticized at the time for being too violent and taking place in Japan.

No it is not. It's 80's cheese that's, at best, a fun flick to laugh at.

I disagree.

That movie was so fucking raw.

What was it about the 70s that made their movies feel so fucking real? Was it the editing? The film they shot on??

>And what fucking neo-noir was there in the 80's and 90's besides LA Confidential
Blood Simple
Miller's Crossing
pic related

I dunno maybe a few more I can't think of. Not the Altman user btw, just thought I'd chime in.

blue velvet

Good taste

>Jeffrey Price and Peter S. Seaman, who wrote the film's screenplay, were both big fans of Roman Polanski's 'Chinatown.' They got the idea for Doom's plot to replace Toontown with an offramp shopping complex from an unproduced sequel to 'Chinatown' based on real life corruption surrounding transportation in Los Angeles. The proposed title for the 'Chinatown' sequel was 'Cloverleaf,' which is the name of Doom's company in 'Roger Rabbit.'

Red Rock West

you're just plain wrong, boy.

what are some movies similar to Sweet Smell Of Success

In a Lonely Place
Ace in the Hole
The Lost Weekend
Touch of Evil

Does this count? I've downloaded it yesterday but still didn't have the time to watch.

Yeess that score

You're the only fag here, retard

>Body Double
>Basic Instinct
>Blade Runner
>Shattered
>Body Heat
>Streets of Fire

Yeah like what neo-noir was there besides LA Confidential? Kill yourself

It's one of my favorites. I haven't been able to find anything else quite like it, even other neo noir films. I think the secret is that the core of the movie is genuinely sweet, while other movies may view love, whether brotherly, platonic, or conjugal, more cynically than Pollack's film. Plus it has some great samurai-Bogart action.

On a related note, if anyone tells you to watch Black Rain, ignore their opinion completely. Michael Douglass ruined that movie.

sounds great, thanks for the rec

Agree about black rain. it seemed promising, but michael douglas ruined every scene he was in with his overacting and trying too hard to be cool

I think it was having not so attractive actors you know people who could really act.

an excellent film. also recommend The Parallax View w/Warren Beatty.

You're kidding, right? About the lighting, i mean.

>On a related note, if anyone tells you to watch Black Rain, ignore their opinion completely. Michael Douglass ruined that movie

haha i have to chip in and applaud this post.
i only watched it for tomisaburô wakayama (lone wolf and cub).

Shaft is good too

The Bad Sleep Well
A Face in the Crowd
Ace In The Hole
Glengarry Glen Ross
Wall Street

I know it isn't neo-noir, but i wanted to contribute anyways

>Neo-noir has become so amorphous as a genre/movement, any film featuring a detective or crime qualifies.

>It's one of my favorites. I haven't been able to find anything else quite like it
Have you tried watching Japanese crime dramas from the era?

Paul Schrader who wrote the film also wrote a long article in Film Comment about Yakuza Eiga genre, look it up if interested.

st ives - charles bronson as a private dick in 70's l.a

paulschrader.org/articles/pdf/1974-FCYakuza.pdf

Neat. Thanks, user

The plot and acting are laughable. It's 80's cheese, plain and simple.

>lists one good noir film
>it's not even real noir, just pseudo-noir since the detective plot is entirely irrelevant
You sure showed me.

This is true, then again the term Noir is farily amorphous as well. Therefore, derivatives of a vague genre are sure to be vague

Love how Sup Forums is so fucking plebeian that an entire genre that dominated the 40s is thought to be best in the 70s simply because it's more recent. Because it certainly has shit to do with any sort of acclaim or cinematic relevance.

Good lord this board is fucking shit pleb central.

>good movies came out in the 40s
>good movies came out in the 70s

I don't see what the problem is. Can we not discuss good movies from the 70s?

mid to late 50's noir is the best because the visual quality of the films imo

then go make your own thread faggot. we can have threads for both. if mitchum was alive he'd shit down your neck for acting like such a bitch.

Pretty sure he wanted 70's because it's the closest thing you can get to noir in relation to present day living. Wanting to mix old time grit with some modernity

The noir of the 40's is good despite itself. The best neo-noir of 70's is superior because it's not as hammy or hamfisted. The quality of directing, cinematography, pacing, writing and acting was just vastly superior in the 70's. They had better priorities in the 70's. And crime was out of fucking control in the 70's, so the stories ring more true.

Don't pay attention to that user. He's smelling his own farts right now.

>tfw the maltese falcon has yet to be surpassed

Taxi Driver my nigga

patrician

The Offence (1973)
I as in Icarus (1979)
Vengeance Is Mine (1979)
Fingers (1978)
Electra Glide in Blue (1973)
The Honeymoon Killers (1970)
Série noire (1979)
Bluebeard (1972)
The Groundstar Conspiracy (1972)

This

God bless you son.

Friends of eddie coyle

That's a paranoia/conspiracy movie. I wouldn't classify it as noir.