Tfw 3 hour meditation on faith, suffering, limitation, and isolation

>tfw 3 hour meditation on faith, suffering, limitation, and isolation
>(imo) not a single boring minute
>its bombing

Of course

>(imo) not a single boring minute

except every normie when I left the theater I was at said how boring it was.

and its bombing because it seems to be in only select theaters and its a movie about religion which edgelords hate. Movies edgy as fuck too and has no score, the balls on martin

10/10

did it copy malick style?

I was really impressed by it, I barely got enough sleep last night and wasn't sure I'd be able to sit through it but it kept me wide awake the whole time. Garfield and Driver both gave great performances.
Also the accents were fine, which was one of my biggest concerns beforehand for some reason.

boring as fuck sounding

Some of it made me think of Malick while I was watching it. There's a lot of inner monologues about God, and pretty scenery.

The accents were actually my main gripe of the movie. Garfield's specifically. Driver gave a good performance and the accent seemed normal for him, but was just awkward with Garfield. My other gripe was that the violence seemed really tame, which is odd for a movie about such brutality and hardship, especially one dealing with Catholicism.

But other than that, I thought it was a fantastic movie. Shame normies don't know quality when they see it.

>amerilard christians will flock to God's not Dead but ignore this

I saw it and do not think it even had a score. Just bugs in the forest, no music.

Garfield's accent was definitely not great but way less terrible than I thought it was going to be after watching the trailer for the first time.
The Japanese actors all had great accents imo

Do you think it would have gone down the same with Protestantism? It seems like a lot of the issues faced in the movie have to do with Catholics dependency on idols and absolving sins and such. Stepping on graven images shouldn't be a big deal. Neither should anything physical like rosary beads. And the significance of the priests as a whole since they are believed to be capable of absolving sins. If the emphasis on the importance of the priests was not there perhaps people would not have been tortured just to get them to apostatize.

It's not easy enough to digest, and has has enough nuance and ambivalence to drive off the Christian normies who loved Passion, etc.

The problem is that the Japanese emperor was thought to be divine, which directly conflicts with the every Christian doctrine of only one God. If the people stop believing in the emperor's divinity, then their entire governmental system would be questioned, and at worst, collapse.

Any foreign religion that would outright reject the emperor's divine status is intolerable. I don't think it matters that they were Catholic, it just so happens that one of the more aggressive colonizing countries happened to also believe in aggressively converting others.

This.

Im actually a commie eurocuck atheist (non even kidding) amd the forst half about tje striggle of keeping yoir faith during oppressive time really resonate with me
It was such a study on human strenght.
Really well done

I wish more films did this, not that all soundtracks are bad but a lot of the time they're either distracting or don't add anything to the movie.
Silence really did utilize actual silence really well.

Where can I watch this? Is the torrent out?

Where do you live? I would recommend seeing it in theater if you can

at least you're self aware i guess

>Andrew Garfield
what the fuck was Scorsese thinking?

I'll just wait for the yify rip

>nobody wants to see christian values

i wodne who could be behind this.

I'd never have expected to witness the start of aged Scorsese's arthouse period.

But he's great in this

Well yes, I'm actually not a Sup Forumslack so I know my views are partial and I at least try to understand the good in what I dont agree with. I can be out of my comfort zone without being triggered, so I actually enjoyed this kino

I live in a shitty country the theatre isn't playing this only capeshit

No.
Dont ever reply to me again.

It's because (((they))) decided it would be a good idea to have no marketing campaign and on top of that release it in only the biggest of cities. Fucking pieces of shit

loser

>and its a movie about religion which edgelords hate
I thought the Young Pope did well?

incoming list of good christcuck films

>The Gospel According to Mathew
>Andre Rublev
>The Prince of Egypt
>Diary of a country priest
>The last temptation of Christ
>Ben Hur
>Tree of Life

Looking foreword to Silence.

I haven't seen thus but I hear this show is part satire so the cali crowd would dig this.

Can't stop me faggot

would you say the gulag archipelago is kino?

>foreword
Kek

>haven't seen thus but I hear this show is part satire
just marathoned the first 2 episodes. It's not entirely satire. There is some deep beliefs in God that it talks about as well as the Pope rejecting a priest when he finds out he is a homosexual.

Pretty based show

The Young Pope is great jerk.

Is this any good? I was interested in watching it.

Is it actually good, or is it just bashing Catholicism and stuff?

Silence is better than Hacksaw Ridge and I enjoyed both

Malick isn't catholic and Calvary was great.

Love Exposure

Step on your Jesus.

How many Gnosticism movies have they made?

For those who don't know, I am referring to movies that are based on rejected religious books such as the Last Temptation of Christ which details how Jesus and Mary Magdelene were a couple (this is found in a second century text that the church rejected).

Would be cool if they adapted "The Lost Gospels of Jesus" into a movie but then all the Catholics would call it blasphemous even though it is after all history and us getting to know what others in the early times believed about Jesus.

It had a full premiere in my slavshithole. These movies do good in Europe. Also The Mission was better.

>Is it actually good, or is it just bashing Catholicism and stuff?
It doesn't even bash God or Catholics see
It actually has some good religious elements in it. I am only up to episode 3 so I can't judge but the new pope is actually a pretty great guy.

>Decides that he doesn't want the public or any journalist to ever see his face
>states that he as the pope is not important at all and that he is a nobody and that everyone should only look to God and not the pope
I guess Catholics may have bit of a problem with that since they strongly hold the pope and God close to one another but still has some good messages

He's not even doing interviews
Nobody talks about it. It's like they want only snobs to see it. I guess they got what they asked for

>Garfield becoming face of Christkino

If you read the book you'd realize that the priest is a coward not for abandoning his faith, but for bending his knee to a system that wants it to be silent rather than active.

Hence, the title SILENCE.

Christ's message concerning the nature of his faith and evangelization was that it was to be divisive and challenging to the powers that be.

>“Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I have come to turn
a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law- a man’s enemies will be the members of his own household. Anyone who loves their father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves their son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. Whoever does not take up their cross and follow me is not worthy of me.Whoever finds their life will lose it, and whoever loses their life for my sake will find it."

Beyond that, the main character is a fucking jesuit, a member of what some might term the church militant. Its a soldier's faith. Him turning on his faith publically is the equivalent of a special forces operative being captured, tortured and turning against his oath publicly and swearing allegiance to the enemy.

In the end, I think its more a statement about how the dynamics of power in many nations prefers a coward's take on christianity. A demure faith. A silent faith.

The Gnostics were a fringe sect of Christianity and had almost nothing do with with Jesus and Mary being a couple. The laste temptation of christ was fictional portrayal of the crucifixion in which Jesus fights off the temptation to die for humanity and settles down with Marry

The Divnci Code is a fun mystery movie but really gets a lot wrong in terms of biblical and historical accuracy.

Religious movies are not that important anymore.

Normies prefer super heroes or edgy dank content about villains (like Suicide Squad).

If they made a movie about Satan living in human form and deciding who to tempt, I am sure a lot would go to the cinemas to see that

>The laste temptation of christ was fictional portrayal of the crucifixion
What's funny is that Muslims took some of this fiction and inserted it into their Qur'an.

>Jesus doesn't die on the cross
>Someone else is made to look like Christ as he is put on the cross and dies while Jesus resurrects to heaven
This is stated in one of the Gnostic books and somehow it ended up in the Qur'an

>Of course
Is it based on a comic book series?
Is it something I already know?
Is it full of KEWL explosions and action?
Is Vin Diesel in it?
Is it fun?

He's talking about your common everyday edgelord, not the kind of edgelord that's willing to watch sorrenkino

>It seems like a lot of the issues faced in the movie have to do with Catholics dependency on idols
Icons. An idol is when you think an object is a god. An icon is when you think an object represents a god. The only thing that Catholics can be accused of actual idolatry on is the Eucharist, but Jesus Himself said the bread is His flesh so bring it up with Jesus I guess. Iconoclasm taken to its logical conclusions is ridiculous. Look at ISIS. And images aren't just graven. There are people on this site who worship 2D drawings of anime girls. Images can even be words. The Bibles contains word-images of Jesus.

>Stepping on graven images shouldn't be a big deal.
Icons represent Jesus and the Saints. No one thinks they actually ARE Jesus and the Saints, or that Jesus and the Saints actually inhabit the icons, like pagans did with their idols, which is what the Ten Commandments forbade. Stepping on an icon is like spitting in the face of a picture of your wife. It isn't that a photograph is your wife. It's what your act of spitting would represent. Disrespecting an image of someone is symbolic of disrespecting that person. It's just a symbol, but it's symbolic of disrespect toward the actual person. Christians shouldn't disrespect God even symbolically.

>Neither should anything physical like rosary beads.
Personally I'd hesitate to flush my wedding ring down a toilet at gunpoint. It's just an object but it's what the object represents.

>And the significance of the priests as a whole since they are believed to be capable of absolving sins
The priest doesn't absolve you. The sacrament of confession does. Paul told Christians to confess their sins to one another for healing. James 5:16

Interesting to think that early Muslims had Gnostic texts that we'll never be able to read.

That's a fucking shitty story, the whole point was that jesus suffered for our sins or something, if he gets to skip right to the heaven part it's not a terribly compelling character

It's the jews who made this film possible to begin with you fucking retard. Instead of whining go watch the damn film

I never saw a commercial for it, not one appearance
If it wasn't for this board I would've never known Sceezy made a new movie

>"Young Pope", House of Cards in Vaticano
Oh God I hope it isn't.

I am all for watching movies loosely based on comic books that do their own style to make it actually cinematic (The Dark Knight) but I just cannot stand watching movies that are EXACTLY like comic book pages

>lots of quips
>very fast paced
Suicide Squad is probably the most comic book like movie made BECAUSE it literally feels like you are turning pages fast and reading blurbs but did anyone actually enjoy that movie's editing?

No.

The Dark Knight took the Joker and Batman and properly made them to appeal in cinema and hence it is a masterpiece of a movie.

It really frustrates me why they cannot make a good video game movie. I who has played many games, do not give an utter shit about the movie being exactly like the game!

Just take a video game like you do with a book and put its story in a movie.

To me, the DOOM movie is one of the best video game movies ever made because to me had great cinema appeal with its story

>Main character being haunted with what happened to him and his sister on Mars so many years ago
>His strength is his sister which gives him hope to continue to survive the days on Mars as he kills the demonic creatures
>Hell and demons are entirely removed and instead they are scientific experiments gone wrong (I as a fan of the games loved this decision instead of them actually making a real Hell dimension open up on Mars).

Americans are almost entirely protestants and Christianity to them is a borderline self-help/positivisty program

Catholic asceticism is foreign and uncomfortable for most of the zionist quasi-kike Baptists etc.

The New Testament teaches that God appoints ALL sovereigns for the ultimate well-being of humanity, including the "God-Emperor" Caesar under whose authority Jesus was crucified.

Christians need to obey the laws of their rulers even if the rulers are pagan or self-deified, except any laws requiring them to offer sacrifice to such rulers as gods, in which case it is better to suffer martyrdom. The Japanese Emperor had nothing to worry about from Christians (aside from foreign meddling) since as far as what I know about Shintoism sacrifices are performed by the Emperor to the Sun Goddess rather than to the Emperor like in ancient Rome, but I don't know much about it. I think the Japanese Christians were martyred for political reasons rather than religious or legal, but I'm no expert and I haven't seen the movie yet.

Well according to the Muslims, Jesus was saved by God instead of suffering on the cross.

I know it sounds so insane and it is one of the things which I do not understand how any Muslim can fully believe.

Believing that God is a higher power than Jesus and that they are not 100% the same - yes I actually understand this and why some have their doubts about the Trinity but rejecting Jesus' suffering on the cross is just so absurd when that is the very first thing that we know about the historical Jesus.

I'm going to watch it soon enough, because I'm portuguese, and it's kinda rare that our stories are made into film form

Gnosticism is 1st century shitposting.

>Andre Rublev
Why did I imagine an Haitian dude in Medieval Russia?

>tfw Portuguese and Catholic

I'm probably gonna have to see this twice.

ffs i forgot one letter

Malick is Catholic. You can see that in The Tree of Life.

>I just cannot stand watching movies that are EXACTLY like comic book pages
Since I didn't see Suicide Squad yet, I can't say much about it, but did you like the Watchmen (which had scene composition made to reflect the original comic, supposedly)?

Anyway, enough is enough. I am not against having some comic book movies once in a while, but not as much as it is lately. Besides, I believe movies and comic books are too close to one another to really justify making adaptations. Really, what's the fuckin point (other than MONEY)?

>that DOOM bit
Yeah, why making a DOOM branded flick if it has very little to do with the actual DOOM lore.
And it's not like video games are about the story rather than the experience, the player input, innit.
Whatever.

>Young Pope
>then this

2017 will the year Catholicism is made cool again.

Hes Episcopalian

It's just a repackaging of the old Pharisee lie that Jesus' body was stolen from the tomb instead of being resurrected. In this case Jesus body was stolen from the cross instead of dying. Either way it's just a lie to deny Jesus' perfection. The Islamic concept of Jesus is revolting and in many ways I believe is a prefiguration of the Antichrist.

yeah the shogunate's concern was more about foreign influences undermining domestic control in general than a specific theological sticking point.

Gonna watch this in Russia at the end of the month. There is only one theater with this film in my shithole and there will be no dubbing only subs WHICH IS VERY RARE. Actually it's one of reasons i going to watch this on big screen. Anyway who cares if it's bombing or not.

He is a Jude

One theatre in Russia?

You forgot-
>The Passion of The Christ
>Killing Jesus
>Son of God
>Risen
>Ben-Hur (remake)
>Silence
>Valhalla Rising
>Noah
>Exodus: Gods and Kings
>Kingdom of Heaven
>Muhhammad Goes To Hell
>God's NOT Dead 3: He's Living On The Inside, Roaring Like A Lion, and Will Fuck Your Shit Up For Eternity If You Don't Accept Him Into Your Heart As Your Lord and Saviour Before You Die

>leaving out the greatest christ kino ever made
plebs

>What if I cast a man with zero presence who can't pull off the accent his character has to have.
Brava Martin

>Andrei Rublev
>catholicism

fuck off scum

I thought it was great, took my gf to go see it she thought it was shit the only reason she agreed to come was because Andrew Garfield was in it.