Film adaptation when? Who will play Holden...

Film adaptation when? Who will play Holden? Will they include the scenes where he rapes his sister and is molested by his father?

Other urls found in this thread:

imdb.com/video/wab/vi1487340057/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>The symbolism of diarrhea

Michael Cera

>rapes his sister
What?

>molested by his father
It was one of his teachers that molested him.

This is like 9th grade level reading how the fuck did you misinterpret this so badly?

Also there will never be a movie, Salinger has it in his will.

>>rapes his sister
>What?
>he really truly positively didn't understand it
lol retard

I don't its possible as a film adaption.

the constant voiceover would get old real quick throughout the film.

Its a /lit/ meme.

Trash book.

A little shit goes around hating everything then gets robbed by a prostitute.

So then cut out all of the inner thoughts bullshit none of it matters anyway.

Wes Anderson will direct it and it will be faggy, I know that.

Should've been Paul Dano

>Who will play Holden?
Begs the question, who's the most insufferable cunt in hollywood? because only he would do

The whole entire book is pretty much inner thoughts.

You would lose a lot, that show how much bullshit and naive Holden's character is if you cut that out.

FTFY

Not everything needs to be a movie, and you know this. It's a waste of everybody's time and energy (both filmmakers and the audience) to attempt it. And I know I'm not breaking new ground by saying this.

Here's where I am breaking new ground- visual novel. The medium of film is terrible for a story like TCITR, but I think it's very doable for something like an interactive graphic novel (read: video game).

Imagine wandering around the streets of mid century New York City playing as Holden Caulfield in a snowy unforgiving cityscape. You embody the character, searching for phone booths, half forgotten memories, and hope.

Eh? Half the "unfilmable" adaptations you assholes love to cry about would work so much better as consequence based visual novels.

die Sup Forumsedditor die
video games are not and will never be art

>that was a very enjoyable book
Make it a terrible movie!
>I really liked that song
I'd really like that movie!
>What a thought provoking painting
More like what a thought provoking KEE-NO!!

Not everything works as a movie you asstard. I don't even play video games, I'm just trying to think outside the box.

>Rapes his sister
At one point, he pinches her ass. People have taken this to suspect him of pedophilia
>Teacher molested him
His teacher merely watched him as he slept, and Holden goes berserk afterwards. It is from him do we think the teacher molested him

To contribute, no I don't think it should be a film

how about you shut your mouth before i kick your teeth down your throat and shut it for you

This was considered edgy and controversial back in the day.

>At one point, he pinches her ass.
It's playful, and people used to be a lot more okay with stuff like that. One of Holden's main traits is that he values innocence and wants to protect kids. He can't even stand to see the work fuck written where kids might see it. It makes no sense that he would molest his sister. I get that it's supposed to be a dumb meme, but it really doesn't work.

>His teacher merely watched him as he slept That was one instance with one teacher. And afterwards he comments that lots of creepy shit has happened to him from authority figures. Whether or not it was a teacher, and what exactly that means, is pretty unclear, but it's pretty safe to say that at least some things he wasn't comfortable with were done to him in the past. It's heavily implied that that's molestation, and it's also implied that that's the reason he values innocence so much.

what is the modern day equivalent of catcher in the rye?

Being a Donald Trump supporter. In time our people will be seen as revolutionaries fighting for a righteous cause. The history books will celebrate us my friends.

Catch me outside, how about dat? You phony!

You won't do it.

I don't get why, shit like On The Road was more edgy then this.

>People have taken this to suspect him of pedophilia

The whole holden rape his sister meme on /lit/ original came from a detail essay from a website someone posted there on /lit/

It was published in 1950 and featured a 16 year old protagonist who used curse words, tried to hire a prostitute, and complained about his emotional problems. People were used to a book with that kind of content; remember how Elvis Presley was seen as the devil a few years after? A lot of the complaints didn't even have to do with the content, people just didn't like seeing a teenager swear a lot.

Is the term "catching in the rye" really a metaphor for anal sex as implied by Holden?

>Film adaptation when?
J.D. Salinger was extremely protective of his works and left the rights to Catcher in the Rye to his wife and son and basically told them to not fuck with it. He didn't want a movie made when he was alive and apparently didn't want one made when he died either.

So yeah, probably no movie until at least his wife dies, or his son needs money, or never.

>I didn't read the book
The title is literally explained as a metaphor for dry anal butt secks. Page 606.

Get help

Michael Cera confirmed.

Don't be mean

To be fair the only upside of modern video games trying to be movies is circumventing the "No Catcher in the Rye film" thing.

Imagine a shitty Telltale Catcher game, that would be hilarious.

*Miles Teller

They already made one doofus.
>imdb.com/video/wab/vi1487340057/

it never will happen. J.D has ironclad documentation written before his death that the rights can never be sold. he said no director oe actor would ever be able to do the book justice. even when he was alive. Many have approached him countless times. he would sue every and any wtiter who wrote adaptations, same with some fims made.

No it's not. This is the kind of thing people read into the book because they can't believe it's just a monolog by a whiner. But it is just a monolog by a whiner.

>people read into the book

>Boy, I was shaking like a madman. I was sweating, too. When something perverty happens like that, I start sweating like a bastard. That kind of stuff's happened to me about twenty times since I was a kid. I can't stand it.

Yeah, the book doesn't say anything about Holden being molested. It's totally people reading too much into it.

>Imagine a shitty Telltale Catcher game, that would be hilarious.
I'm imagining it. It actually sounds great.

Why do you think it's a bad idea?

>not walking around using your imagination
This is why you're scum

Didn't Kafka and Van Gogh have that same shit? Worked out great for both of th-

Igby Goes Down.

It's in his will, but it's only in effect for xx years after his death (30 I think?) At which point everyone is going to lose their shit because people think this book about some whiney angsty asshole kid is a masterpiece for some reason

>he would sue every and any wtiter who wrote adaptations, same with some fims made.

I honestly think a Franny and Zooey film adaption would have work if done right.

Its ashamed pic related fucked up that chance

It would make for a very boring movie.

Someone could still make one though. You could do it in a foreign country. Once it's on the internet, it can't be taken off.