Contained within the original DVD release is a card titled "David Lynch's 10 Clues to Unlocking This Thriller"...

>Contained within the original DVD release is a card titled "David Lynch's 10 Clues to Unlocking This Thriller". The clues are:

>Pay particular attention in the beginning of the film: At least two clues are revealed before the credits.
>Notice appearances of the red lampshade.
>Can you hear the title of the film that Adam Kesher is auditioning actresses for? Is it mentioned again?
>An accident is a terrible event—notice the location of the accident.
>Who gives a key, and why?
>Notice the robe, the ashtray, the coffee cup.
>What is felt, realized and gathered at the Club Silencio?
>Did talent alone help Camilla?
>Note the occurrences surrounding the man behind Winkie's.
>Where is Aunt Ruth?

What does it all mean?

god i can't believe people still talk about that piece of shit after all these years

I fapped to the lesbian scene

Why don't you try reading the clues and then watching the movie.

Adult filmbuffs on suicide watch

That's what I did.

First half is a masturbatory fantasy, second half is reality. It's not that hard to follow.

I think I understand that much. I'm interested in these clues about little details. Like what was the name of the movie, and where's Betty's aunt?

I don't think any of these things matter and are sheer distraction. Lynch (and I am a fan) is primarily great at creating an illusion of depth. You can come up with a like-wise list for almost any movie.

I read an autistic breakdown years about focusing on a key and a blue box but that's all I remember.

>What does it all mean?

It means there was a shitload of setup to the series it was supposed to be but was hastily finished as a movie when it was rejected.

You shouldn't bother trying to read deep into it because it was never meant to be what it is.

David Lynch is actually completely trolling.

The movie is just about a woman's dying fantasy of a perfect world, the hollywood she thought she would visit -- like heaven, whereas in reality Hollywood was a hell that ate her up and killed her spirit and led her to commit suicide.

Too scared to watch this masterpiece again. I still can't sleep when I think about it

Reddit

Naomi is my waifu.

It's about Buddhism.

>the director of this lost to richie from happy days
>anyone taking the oscars seriously

>78570362
>Pay particular attention in the beginning of the film: At least two clues are revealed before the credits.
Old couple w/ Diane representing her naive past
Camera POV of someone laying their head down to sleep
>Notice appearances of the red lampshade.
phone call from gangsters in beginning goes unanswered in dream and later reveals its at real world Diane's apartment
>Can you hear the title of the film that Adam Kesher is auditioning actresses for? Is it mentioned again?
The Sylvia North Story. It's the movie that the gangsters are forcing Adam to cast "Camilla" in. Later we find out it's the movie that Diane and real Camilla both auditioned for and Camilla got the title role.
>An accident is a terrible event—notice the location of the accident.
It's where Diane meets Camilla before the party where Adam and Camilla announce they're engaged. The party is a pivotal event-it's where Diane is at her lowest and decides to have Camilla killed.
>Who gives a key, and why?
The hitman. It's to notify Diane that the hit has occurred. It takes on greater significance in the dream as it's something Diane chooses to focus her guilt on.
>Notice the robe, the ashtray, the coffee cup.
Whether these items are in Diane's apartment in the "real world" last third of the movie show us where we are in the chronology of events. It's not complicated.
>What is felt, realized and gathered at the Club Silencio?
That "there is no band, this is all a recording." I.e., none of this is real (it's a dream)
>Did talent alone help Camilla?
Diane's dream justification for Camilla's success is that gangsters were forcing Adam to hire her for the Sylvia North story, as opposed to her simply being more talented than Diane.
>Note the occurrences surrounding the man behind Winkie's.
This is where the hitman left the key for Diane to find, indicating that the hit was
>Where is Aunt Ruth?
DEAD

>People need help to follow Mulholland Drive

Holy shit how retarded can people be? It's one of Lynch's easiest films to follow.

Not true at all

Just watched this the other day and I loved it. Should I watch Eraserhead, Lost Highway, Blue Velvet, or Inland Empire next?

What isn't true? That it's one of his easiest films to follow?

Eraserhead, The Elephant Man, Dune, Blue Velvet, Wild at Heart, The Straight Story and even Twin Peaks are easier to follow than Mulholland Drive.

Bluuuuuuuuee Velvet! (Woah woah)

>Hasn't seen Lynch's filmography
Jesus Christ when did Sup Forums become so shit?

Eraserhead next. Then Elephant Man.

Not the user you replied to, but
>Eraserhead
>easier to follow than Mulholland Drive
Oh, fuck off.
The rest, sure.

Eraserhead has a very straightforward story. Just a strange setting.

Let me translate this post for everyone:
>I'm a 19 year old college student who watched the re:view of Eraserhead and just ape RLM's talking points to seem smart to my e-friends

I don't even remember most of RLM's video. I'm just saying that the plot of Eraserhead is pretty simple.

I hate RLM and I agree with him, there's nothing obscure about Eraserhead's plot, you can debate the symbolism all day though, if it meant anything and what.
I still have no idea what the fuck Inland Empire is about

Those clues were literally something the studio forced him to do to make the film more accessible to plebs. As a matter of fact they're pointless and mean nothing.

>As a matter of fact they're pointless and mean nothing.
You're wrong. I'm too tired to spoonfeed you, so just read this, most of the points are correct.

1st part is a dream
then 2nd part is the reality

the key is just a signal given to her to say the girlfriend's been killed

baka

I can't remember, is there actually any indication of Aunt Ruth being dead in the movie?

>I am wrong so let me post a reaction image!
Kys

At the dinner party at Camilla's Diane says it. She died and left Diane some money and that's why she came to Hollywood.

The girl with the black hair is fucking gorgeous

I like her tits and that's about it. On another hand the blonde girl is from another dimension.