Melancholia

Let's discuss this film. What are your thoughts on it. Did you think von Trier did a good job portraying depression on screen?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=LayW8aq4GLw
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It was

No. I think it's a bad movie. I think all his movies are bad.

Why did you think this one was bad?

Most people with "depression" are really just using it as an excuse to make a serious illness look fashionable or some sort of accessory.

I want to see LVT direct capeshit. Just for the keks.

He portrayed a depressive as a selfish arsehole who is a drag on everybody around them. Sounds quite correct to me.

Nice cinematography. Interesting atmosphere. The bride fucking that guy was predictable and cliche. I didn't know it was supposed to be about depression until later so I guess not.

youtube.com/watch?v=LayW8aq4GLw

Because its aesthetics are dull and its worldview is false. Because nobody who believes the worldview the film puts forward would have the energy to make a film, let alone a decently-budgeted star vehicle. Because depression isn't a metaphor or a bestower of insight.

i think its his only good movie, and i think depression can manifest in different ways but his version was believable to me

>its aesthetics are dull
I'm not sure what specifically you're talking about, but I assume you mean the lack of color? I think it goes well with the tone of the film, it's about sadness and emptiness. The cinematography feels more like a human eye than the lens of a camera.

>its worldview is false
The worldview is subjective.

Von trier is at his best when he is pure voyeurism. The Idiots is fantastic.

I liked it overall, but there's an uncomfortable marriage of styles. Parts of it are like watching Peter Greenaway, and other parts are like Dogme '95. Also I don't think some of the actors are fully on board: Kiefer Sutherland just looks embarrassed when talking about the approaching planet.

Every time I've seen this discussed on Sup Forums people say "post that scene, you know the one".

I have no idea what that means, can anybody tell me what the 'scene is'. I want to watch the film but I dunno if I'll even notice what the scene is.

>mfw sheds really are bourgeois crap

Probably the scene where Kirsten Dunst is naked and you get a good close up of her boobs.

It lost me a little on the second half tbqh. Overall i'd say it's mediocre

That's the one. Dunst has dynamite nerps.

>depression on screen?
If you want to watch depression then you have to watch Bergmann.
Melancholia is a perfect replication of my favorite fantasy of armageddon and all the freedom this brings with it. Once you believe in the worlds (or your own) end you finally have the freedom to do what you want. To fuck who you want. To tell everyone how much you despise them.
It's total freedom. Not depression.

>Let's discuss this film

Wrong board senpaitachifamalamo desu

Worth watching just for getting to see Kirsten's milky white udders.