Why aren't Stormtrooper melee units given lightsabers? With synthetic crystals being a thing...

Why aren't Stormtrooper melee units given lightsabers? With synthetic crystals being a thing, the Empire/First Order could produce them with ease.

Other urls found in this thread:

dailydot.com/parsec/star-wars-celebration-lucasfilm-story-group/
starwars.com/databank/first-order-riot-control-stormtroopers
twitter.com/AnonBabble

They're too expensive.

only Jedi can deflect shots

kyber crystals are rare. the synthetic crystals sith used have to be infused with darkside energy in a ritual.

also it might inspire a jedi resurgence

Lightsabers are unwieldy throwback weapons only useful if you have a strong understanding of the Force, in which case you could just use a blaster and actually hit things anyway.

For what purpose? Those things are only usefull to burn stuff and cut off limbs.
I bet the baton thing at least lets you immobilize and are way cheaper.

In the early drafts & concept art way back when, Stormtroopers were going to carry lightsabers. The tube on the small of their back was meant to hold it (it's since been explained as a grenade). Along the way, the decision was made to make them unique to Jedi (and related) characters.

Synthetic crystals don't exist anymore, now only kyber crystals and only a force user can builds them. And to build them you have to "bond" with it, and it seems you can only bond with a limited number of crystals as canon states with Ki Adi Mundi (who due having a binary brain he was among the few who could bond with two crystals)

you have to be civilized to chop a childling in half,a bunch of times, over and over again.
You have to be a certified gentleman(that is a thing)to cleave a women into pieces in just the right way so she looks like she died right away but she lives long enough to see her younguns lock eyes with her as they die as they say, with a look not a voice because,lol no lungs,"mom, you've said you're always gonna keep me safe.Why did you lie, mom, why? "
It's a civilized weapon.
OP is gay, but also ignorant and not a good friend.

they blew up the city that produces them in rogue one

>With synthetic crystals being a thing,
They exist in canon but are unstable and explosive.

Because traitor stick is cooler.

>Why aren't Stormtrooper melee units given lightsabers?

Lightsabers are somewhat unwieldy. You can use one as a regualr soldier, but you won't ever be really proficient with it without some form of tech or force hacks.

A Jedi can probably deflect laser blasts back at people, a simple soldier would probably just get his fellow soldier killed. It's just not practical.

A riot baton that can stop sabers is a pretty agreeable compromise.

Jedi there are like 3-5 jedi when the empire was at its peak, why would you issue all your units to deal with them when the entire galaxy is packing blasters

Am I the only one who thinks the new stormtrooper design look tacky as fuck? Hell, clonetroopers look better than that shit.

Phase II > Shore Trooper > Phase I > Stormtrooper >>>>>> FO Stormtrooper

I can't unsee the duck

republic commando > all

Because this way they can make a whole other line of toys about the different weapons

How many crystals could maul bond with?

This. Or they still exist but they've been retconned into being garbage.

There's all this mystical bullshit lore added onto the lightsaber crystals where the force users "tap into" their innate energies to use them. Like, the new canon reason why red lightsabers are red is because Sith users make the naturally blue or green-colored crystals crack and "bleed", because red is now canonically the universal color of evil according to the physics of the Star Wars universe.

And before you fucking say anything yes we all know that makes no sense because Anakin's saber was blue when he used it for evil and NONE of this shit is even slightly hinted at in the movies and is borderline midichlorian level.

And yes, they also totally disregard their own new canon bullshit explanation by having the Death Star run on kyber crystals right after spending time explaining how kyber crystals only activate when you channel the force through them.

people who don't think Disney-canon will become as much of a mess as the old EU in a matter of years are deluded

>that makes no sense because Anakin's saber was blue when he used it for evil
Why would the crystal change color after it already made a bond with Anakin? It's a kyber crystal not mood ring, once it chooses a color it stays that color.
>explaining how kyber crystals only activate when you channel the force through them.
What are you on about.

Pros of Lightsaber
+Intimidating
+Lightweight
+Can cut through most materials
+Can deflect blaster fire if user is proficient

Pros of Lightsaber
-Relatively expensive
-Most melee weapons can block Lightsabers
-Visually striking, makes you stand out on the battlefield
-Loud ambient noise
-Rendered useless if the hilt is damaged
-Only force users can utilise it as a projectile

It's a fancy religious/ceremonial weapon used as a last resort when their most effective weapon (the force) isn't effective, which it is the vast majority of the time. I mean if you found one it would probably be your melee weapon of choice but chances are you're going to just carry around a blaster and shoot people.

Lightsabers are only useful with force capabilities.

They should have just made the movies the only canon, letting these random cartoon/comic writers shape the canon with no oversight is the whole reason they got into that mess in the first place.

They can't hit the protagonists with lasers and years of training, why would they be able to hit them with a lightsaber?

If you havent got the jedi training/force you won't stop blaster with it and you just gonna get shot like a shitter

>with no oversight
dailydot.com/parsec/star-wars-celebration-lucasfilm-story-group/
>How the Lucasfilm Story Group controls every corner of the 'Star Wars' franchise

wait you can shot things with a blaster? i just assumed they were for confusing your enemy and getting your own men killed

why have armor if you can get knocked out by a stick

You need supernatural awareness and reflexes to use a lightsaber and not kill yourself. Imagine swinging a flashlight around and not flashing any light on yourself. With a real sword you feel the weight to remind you where the sword is at all times without having to look at it.

this is true

T.bh. I did like the older explanation that was similar to this, where the spirit of the user was reflected in the blades colour regardless of the crystal. But George retconned it with the prequels.

>-Most melee weapons can block Lightsabers
um what?

>>ITT: Stupid bullshit reasons made up to explain why something that was only invented for the rule of cool would make sense to autistic faggots who can't suspend their disbelief

>You need supernatural awareness and reflexes to use a lightsaber and not kill yourself
EU please go

It was the case in kotor, they made up some bullshit explanation for it but is was because of fighting mechanics, game would be lame if you'd be unstopable with a lightsaber

Why don't they make lightsaber guns that just shoot a solid lightsaber beam out of them for like 2000 yards so they can just shoot the beam out then wave it around in front of them randomly to kill everything in sight?

Honestly though Finn should have accidentally cut his own leg off or something with that thing.

Take a flashlight and swing it around like a lightsaber and see how long you can go before you accidentally touch yourself with the beam.

Show me finn stoping a blast with a lightsaber
I'll wait

Everyone of you fuckers who keep saying light sabers are weightless are being fucking idiots. Nothing says that non force users can use light sabers. In fact, you have two prominent examples that show otherwise (Mandolorians darksaber/finn)

The reason the Jedi use a lightsaber is because it's ceremonial. It's their weapon. They also get the benefit of being able to block lasers. For a normie to use one, it would be redundant to using another Melee weapon.

Dude that sounds fuckin dumb lmao

on a related note
Why aren't US military given swords? With metal being a thing, the government could produce them with ease.

I am probably the most qualified to answer this, since I'm a lightsaber martial artist here in London.

Firstly I'd like to just say we're very proud of our Star Wars culture here. All the movies have been shot at our studios and the lightsaber community is great.

BASICALLY, stormtroopers don't have the mental capacity to learn true lightsaber combat. In fact, my school turns away students because they just want to learn for shallow reasons. i.e. getting cool ultrasabers, learning flashy tricks, wanting to beat people up.

Now, if you want to learn the true forms of lightsaber combat, you need to be of good intention. Lightsabers are to be used to keep the peace and to defend oneself. They are not for initiating violence.

Stormtroopers belong to the Imperial military and so they use their melee weapons for military purposes. This is not what lightsabers were created for, nor is the philosophy behind lightsabers at all compatible.

It takes YEARS to learn how to control these things. Yeah we use polycarbonate blades and not real plasma like the Jedi do, but it takes a long time to:

a) not hit yourself with the blade
b) master any of the forms.

Stormtroopers simply don't have the time, mental capacity or training for lightsaber combat. Furthermore, none of their enemies outclass them in terms of military technology. The obvious exception is Luke Skyalker with his lightsaber, but he's the only one around at that point.

May the Force be with you.

Cumbersome and has no use 90% of the time. Everyone gets knives though. Rangers have machete to whack away at bushes when they're doing their jungle shit too.

That's what I thought Captain Phasma would have but she's just fucking useless in every way

>since I'm a lightsaber martial artist here in London

>he actually took the time to write this

Could a lightsaber reflect the blast of the death star?

I mean the beam itself seems slower than a blaster, so it should actually be easier. Why wasn't this considered a possible counter?

Also, on the same string of ideas, what if a ship had a bunch of lightsabers on it that was connected to a fan like object creating rotating blades that would be impenetrable?

I think that was the point.
I mean, aren't the FO trying really hard?
It makes sense that their armour would be cheap looking considering they had to build the starkiller base.
Also clone trooper armours are the best.

>shore trooper

They literally developed a variant for littoral combat...

Is there a specialized TIE?

>game would be lame if you'd be unstopable with a lightsaber
no it wouldnt

The Tie striker also in Rogue one.

JJ ruined Star Wars

Why exactly is a lightsaber harder to use than a sword just because its light? Wouldn't that make it easier to handle?

might as well since they made them less special by having Dind Unuf Finn use one. Twice. The second time against a force user.

>gets curbstomped by a fellow trooper
I wonder why

>takes YEARS to learn how to control these things.
>a) not hit yourself with the blade
>b) master any of the forms.

How's it feel that a space nigger was able to pick one up and use it without any previous training whatsoever?

see A sword is intuitive because the blade has weight and so responds through the handle to your grip. You can literally sense through your sense of touch where the blade is even with your eyes closed based on the weight and momentum transmitting through the handle from the blade.

If the blade has no weight you're essentially just waving around a handle and if the handle points at a part of your body accidentally you die. Now try not letting that handle point at yourself while swinging it around, let alone while in combat. It would be as unintuitive as a tool can possibly be to be swinging a weightless blade.

Honestly it actually makes Obi Wan and Vader's fight in A New Hope make sense when they've swinging at eachother with deliberate and large, stiff wristed, sweeping strikes. That'd be the safest way to fight with one of those things.

normies can "use" them but they aren't very effective with them, even with training they still seem to lose every fight

>I mean the beam itself seems slower than a blaster
No it isn't.

Exactly why I avoid the Expendable Universe.

That's Canon in Disney era

>Vader's holding Luke's lightsaber upside down and still making the blade come out the bottom.

Ehh in the clone wars there where a pile of weapons that could parry a lightsaber. The droids had sticks and even pirates had swords

The dark side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural.

You know what they say, life is a beach

I always figured it was a mix of design and crystal. Crystals were either red, blue, or green and depending on the build quality could shift in hue. Specifically a lower build quality or poor energy source would shift the blade closer to the red end of the spectrum. Mace's purple beam was a blue one he intentionally shifted. Asohka's yellow side sabre was a lesser build quality than her primary green one. Kylo Ren's sabre uses 1 poor crystal and is a very poor build quality. He compensates by forcing so much energy through the crystal it bleeds out and he uses the bleedout as the guard. It's also why it has that fiery aura to it. Just another example of Kylo Ren trying so hard to be like Vader and failing.

>Mandolorian Darksaber

Lol Jesus Christ Star Wars is stupid

it's just as expendable as the old EU

EEEEEUUUUUUUUUUUUU

You realize he got his shit completely stomped each time he pulled that saber out right?

Anyone got more pictures of these guys? This is the only good one I can find

I think it's one of the less retarded parts of Star Wars.
>Ancient Mandalorian beats Jedi in duel and takes his light saber
>passes from head honcho to head honcho because muh victory over the jedi
>for fucking millenia because muh heritage
>nobody knows how it works anymore because SW is like warhammer 40k in that technology stagnated to hell so they can never take it apart and just pray it never breaks
I'll admit it looked horrible in TCW though.

you figured wrong, color has nothing to do with how well was the lightsaber built

I really wanted lightsabers to make sense without force magic hokey pokey. ;_;

the fuck are you talking about? that's not how happened, the ancient mandalorian was a Jedi called Tarr Vizsla, he didn't beat anyone and stole his saber, he made it

Sounds like faggot fan fiction to me either way.

>Lightsabers...what else could we think up in our lame story that is TOTALLY EPIC...w-w-what about a DARKSABER
>Fags squeal in joy

yeah, and it's canon. Thanks Disney for getting rid of all EU and totally not replacing it with shit just as stupid

>Episode 2
>EU
Lightsabers were practically useless against these fuckers

The Trade Federation building them also made sense since there were hundreds of Jedi

The darksaber thing was from the Clone Wars before Disney bought it

So "lightsaber can't penetrate thing that's electrified for some reason" is the explanation we're going with isn't it?

Just about every sword made in the Old Republic used cortosis alloy

Which makes sense when you remember there were like a billion Jedi and Sith running around

Movie needed more of those guys and the Dark I mean Death Troopers.

>never getting the Imperial Commando game

fuck

Yeah I was disappointed they didn't do anything. An effective and memorable use of them could have been them sniping Baze, instead of him dying from an explosive

The costume design in this film was great, it's a shame a lot of it is just background dressing

Except a lightsaber gives you a nice bright humming audio-visual cue telling your where the deadly bit is. Only a retard with literally zero body awareness would lop his own limbs off with a lightsaber.

It has a special alloy

>In fact, my school turns away students because they just want to learn for shallow reasons. i.e. getting cool ultrasabers, learning flashy tricks, wanting to beat people up.

>Wanting to beat people up

With a lightsaber?

There's a bunch of specialized TIEs, even without the EU

Again, he got his shit pushed in every time he used it.

The blade is weightless, making it difficult to wield without control over the force.

Those batons are meant for riot control, the melee troopers aren't meant to be combat troops since they would be shot to pieces by 99.99% of the enemies that the empire/order would face. A light saber is useless for riot control since it would just kill the rioters and escalate the situation. Read for your self.

starwars.com/databank/first-order-riot-control-stormtroopers

>it would just kill the rioters and escalate the situation
>killing the people causing the problem just makes things worse

Hello Trudeau

18 last I remember

Who /toy/ here?

Jedi backflip kicks, probably

I seem to remember Han Solo cutting open a Tauntaun just fine with a lightsaber