How many of you """atheists""" are still pretending Silence wasn't the best movie of the year?

How many of you """atheists""" are still pretending Silence wasn't the best movie of the year?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=pCKwtUXyU1k&t=2s
youtube.com/watch?v=Jm8ZTwvZSb4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

If it even gets nominated for the Oscars, you'll be lucky

>Implying we can't be Atheist and like the movie

I'm an athiest and Silence is in m top 5.

I'm a Christian and it's not in my top 5.

every atheist I talked to didn't "get" the movie. They couldn't understand why someone would voluntarily endure suffering rather than step on the image of Christ, and so, were completely unable to understand the film

I am God and I haven't seen Silence

Wait, I thought this was going to be a Martin Scorsese Samurai epic not some bible thumper propaganda. D R O P P E D

I'm completely aware of what delusions can do to people, I'd probably not have a problem understanding the movie

I'm an atheist and I understand why someone would voluntarily endure suffering rather than stepping on the image of Christ, and I bet your friends do too. What they probably said was your dumb ass and the people in the movie are dumb for doing so, because as an atheist we don't believe in christian theology. we totally get why you do the things you do, and we look down on you for doing them.

And a *tip* *tip* to, sir.

how is their "delusion" of God any different from your implicit delusion that your life matters, that your feelings are real, that there is even any concept of "you" that makes any sense?

you probably deserve this too

Whoops, meant for

Actually in this case it would be conviction, not delusion, they have no reason to believe a god isn't real besides the other religions that claim their gods are real from religious experiences just like theirs

>whoops, I meant it for a post that was posted after my post

i dont suffer from any of those delusions

does that room pass the Febreeze challenge?

yes, you do. If you get out of bed in the morning and somehow view that as better than laying in bed, you have fallen for the implicit delusion that there is some value in the world. You might not recognize it, but by choose one thing over another, you are admitting that deep down, you believe it.

What foolishness is this? More evidence of the colossal joke.

in fact, the fact we are even having this argument means you view some things as having value (why else would you feel the need to post? even to look at this board?) You understand what all religious people hold as truth--life is not meaningless. You just pretend to think life is meaningless because you can't explain how life could have meaning without God, and you absolutely cannot bear to admit that God exists. That would almost make your high school phase where you refused to go to church and said edgy things about religion seem... juvenile

Looks like you're surrounded by dumbfucks much like yourself, atheist or no.
Life matters to some people and it doesn't to others. People don't need to believe in a deity to understand that.
As for feelings and a concept of "me" there are still some who argue that we cannot experience anything outside our subjective reality or know that an objective reality exists. So I don't think anyone knows for sure.
So are you arguing for nihilism or that belief in God is somehow necessary for feelings and meaning to exist? If the latter, kindly fuck off. If the former, also fuck off.

>If there's no god life doesn't deserve to have the value you give it and you should just kill yourself
No, nigga, you kill yourself

what the fuck are you even on about? just because i dont believe in some grand all encompassing meaning of life doesnt mean i dont want to live or that i cant make up my own meaning whenever i want

i dont need a reason or motivation to live, other than the fact i enjoy it, im sorry you need to tell yourself a story about how it all makes sense and you have a purpose in order to get through life

and stop assuming things about people, its really embarrassing

>itt atheists don't understand the mental gymnastics they go through every day to not kill themselves

>admitting to actually enjoying life is considered mental gymnastics now

There has to be a god otherwise subjective meaning isn't enough, god gives you objective meaning because everything good you do gets rewarded

I heard it was pretentious, how so? I guess I can see how, if the message is overly preachy or one-sided, but considering this -is- a movie about such a subject, it'd be kinda hard not to sound preachy then.
How is it compared to the book?

Having said that, how is The Last Temptation of Christ? I heard it's more shallow and pretentious than the book it is based on, can anyone tell me if that is true and how much so?

>those small condoms in the back
m-maybe there IS hope!

I have a deep connection with God and sometimes Xe communicates to me, in fact, I just received a message: Goddo says you're a tremendous faggot, nigger, cuck, and so forth.

that is an absolutely bizarre way of thinking to me

subjective meaning is plenty enough for me and the only reward i need or want is the one i get for myself

I concur, that's why I'm an Atheist

>it's an edgelords pretend to be christians only to get countertrolled thread

riveting

nice delusion there, tipper.

Genuinely some of the dumbest shit I've ever read, on any subject.

What is the source of this image?

being able to understand another person's perspective has nothing to do with being an atheist. almost every atheist "gets" Christianity, many of them were former Christians or raised Christian.

what i see from your camp is every fucking thread someone saying "Dude, how can you enjoy life without believing in God and objective truth? How can you behave morally without believing in God?" and on and on.

there's this consistent inability to entertain another perspective, and so you get these retard questions that can be answered with a child's level of critical thinking ability.

Not pretentious at all. If it was, it would've showed him holding out until the end and not stepping on the image, and then all the japanese see his courage and become christian. Whoever gave you their opinion is a fucking cucks that was upset his faith/non-faith was being challenged by a movie

.... and god still doesn't exist.
but nice try

OP expected that people would talk only about the pic, but he ignored the fedora is more powerful than the dick

God doesn't exist because there's no proof he exists! My logic is flawless!
*tips fedora euphorically*

How can non-faith be challenged when it's not a position?

More like:
>It's unlikely a god exists due to the lack of evidence therefore I don't have to believe in a god

Having grown up in a devout Christian household, I think some points in the film are meant to be more intense for some than others. For example, when the Inquisitor demanded that they spit on the crucifix and denounce Marry, call her a whore, etc. you kinda understood how shocking this was for them. Meanwhile, if you're just an atheist, it'd amount to spitting on a two planks of wood and cursing some woman.

youtube.com/watch?v=pCKwtUXyU1k&t=2s

Atheism is: the lack of a belief in a god.
Atheism is not: the belief in a lack of a god.

>all these anons taking the bait

If you bite, and you call yourself an atheist, you really shouldn't because you're clearly retarded and we don't need any more fedora tippers

That's not what atheism is.

Wrong.

>Not knowing about Poe's Law

Except that's exactly what it is, if there was compelling evidence for a god, there would be no Atheists

>Implying you know how many quantum layers if irony I'm operating on

Don't use the word Quantum, it triggers Christcucks

you dont get to decide what words mean, friend

>Except that's exactly what it is, if there was compelling evidence for a god, there would be no Atheists
Wrong.

How is it wrong? I never said if there was compelling evidence for Yahweh, I said a god

Wrong.

You're assuming that all atheists embrace their non-belief in the divine out of evidence based rationalism, rather than faith.

In my experience with most atheists quite the opposite is true. The idea of divinity offends them and they will go out of their way to interpret any hypothetical evidence that arises in a manner that denies the divine.

Not an argument.

Tell me how I am wrong, you cuck

Even if there was evidence for Yahweh, there would be people who don't worship it because Yahweh is a tyrant, that doesn't mean they're Atheists.

If there was compelling evidence for a god, we would all believe in god
If it was based on faith, there would have to be compelling evidence to the contrary but that's not the case. It's not a faith based position because it's not a claim, it is the rejection of a claim of faith.

nice meme

doesnt it trigger you that molyneux is an atheist?

>If it was based on faith, there would have to be compelling evidence to the contrary but that's not the case. It's not a faith based position because it's not a claim, it is the rejection of a claim of faith.
Wrong.

How is that wrong?

it's some hipster art project about how the sexual revolution has exploited women or something.

But he's a right-libertarian, so that's all that matters

>But he's a right-libertarian
Wrong.

>the Lord is a tyrant
subjective, retarded way of thinking

Riddle me this atheists: If god isn't real why is he in the Bible?
Check and mate

>using the holy name in blasphemy
enjoy hell

i just found it laughabl. every time they were praying, I was like "lmao that's not doing anything"

>If it was based on faith, there would have to be compelling evidence to the contrary but that's not the case
That does not follow. Faith does not require contradiction.

> It's not a faith based position because it's not a claim, it is the rejection of a claim of faith
All opinions are declarative statements and therefore claims.

>It's literally against the rules to not believe in me and I have a special place for you if you don't
>Both the Christian and Islamic version of Yahweh
The Jewish version of Yahweh gives rise to Zionism

In order for it to be a faith based belief, it requires no compelling evidence to support it

wouldn't that smell

>there would be people who don't worship it because Yahweh is a tyrant, that doesn't mean they're Atheists.
Of course it does.
If they believe they can defy God then logically they do not actually believe God is God, as the Yahweh whose existence they acknowledge does not possess the attributes of God, those being omnipotence and omniscience.
Hence, they are atheists.

I teared up a bit when the priests were taken back to the village by the Japanese villagers.
Other than that, the movie was kind of bland all the way through. I'm still waiting on my Christkino.

>my opinion of what a tyrant is applies to a being on a higher level of existence.

Also, Atheism is not an opinion, it's a non-statement too. Lacking a belief in a god is not the same as believing there is no god. This is because of the lack of evidence for a god which supports the probability that everything came through natural means.

Theists are literally modern day crazies.

>In order for it to be a faith based belief, it requires no compelling evidence to support it

,and there is no compelling evidence that a diety does not exist, therefore atheism is based on faith.

>higher level of existence
What does that even mean? Do you know? What does it mean to be in a higher level of existence and what's it like?

omnipotence or omniscience are not requirements for being considered a god

nor is not worshipping someone denying his divinity

>tips fedora

Wrong.

You're missing the point, your basic ideas of injustice do not apply to the creator of the universe. Anything that he sees as just is just. You're looking through the lens of what mortals have told you is justice.

>Lacking a belief in a god is not the same as believing there is no god.
Yes it is.
Atheists are not ignorant of the concept of god, therefore they cannot genuinely lack positive or negative belief in the concept, they must have some level of opinion on the matter.

Are we going to get into the definition of God? Because if it's the Abrahamic God the 3 monotheistic religions worship then he's no more plausible then the countless gods that preceded him.

>omnipotence or omniscience are not requirements for being considered a god
I'm sorry but I thought we were talking about Yahweh, not some tin-pot pagan fertility idol.

>Life coming by natural means
>Humans coming by natural means
>The Earth coming by natural means
>Space being hostile to life
>The Earth being hostile to life
>The fact that our existence as an entire race can be cut short by something travelling in outer space
>Low probability of life in other star systems
Idk, seems so much like there's a god orchastrating things and it's not random
>I can anthropomorphise my god but he's immune to any criticism from humans
That's called special pleading.

I like Ronnie B's take.

youtube.com/watch?v=Jm8ZTwvZSb4

Knowing about the concept of a god is not the same as there being a god

But what God supposedly thinks is just is also told to us through mortals. If you don't trust mortals to make judgments on justice outside of religion, why do you trust their judgment inside of religion?

>Because if it's the Abrahamic God the 3 monotheistic religions worship then he's no more plausible then the countless gods that preceded him.
Maybe if the limits of your conception of the Abrahamic God is a bearded old man in the clouds.

>Anything that he sees as just is just.
I disagree. Prove me wrong.

protip: you can't, because justice is an abstract concept whether a magical superbeing exists or not

ok

Demonstrate there are spiritual dimensions then we'll take your god seriously.

Of course the man who won the lottery feels a thrill that his win was meant to be his, that his statistical luck is just and earned, perhaps even ordained -- what do the losers think? Not much.

I was in a fancy private Catholic school all my life. The way religion it was taught to me makes God no more believable then the rest. I might add that I don't have anything against the church and have seen the good it can bring on a local level at least.

>Justice is an abstract concept
Why do you have no problem believing in abstract concepts but the idea of God gives you pause?

That delusion is his, bro, we know how the lottery works. Apparently we don't know how god works so that's a shit analogy