What are Russians like?

What are Russians like?

I lived the U.S all my life and I love history and learning about how the governments of other countries work, as well as the geo politics between them but I wanna know what Russians are like.

I recently heard smiling for no reason or just to be a polite is not a thing over there, that's kinda fucking huge to me living in the U.S. It seems so weird, cool but weird. I'm not looking for some broad stats, just interesting shit about regular working class Russians as a working class American.

I guess I can also tell you our perspective on certain things regarding how we perceive you if you have questions.

Some stuff about me since it seems like I'm asking for alot.

I am 23, white/spanish, some college education but no real degree, work a shit tier white collar job, before that I worked white trash tier mechanic and unskilled factory gigs (wait what is russian white trash like?), I smoke and drink but don't do illegal drugs, not particularly attracted to Russian women compared to say Latina ones, but of course some are beautiful.

I also have side business that I hope to one day grow into something I can live on while traveling.

Say I went to Russia, what is some interesting stuff I would run into or should look out for if I wanted to spend some time traveling through the country for a few months.

>What are Russians like?
AIDS

>t. Ahmed bin Waleed

>What are Russians like?
Annoying

I'd say that your question is kind of too wide. It's like invitation to write an essay on a theme: "what is it to be russian". Well, not an essay, it sounds more like a novel, because Doyevskiy or Tolstoy wrote write novels about it. Isn't it a universal principle for national culture to express what is it to be "pick nationality".
What do you exactly like to know?

>go to taiwan
>it's full of russian prostitutes

really made me think

>What is russian white trash like

>I recently heard smiling for no reason or just to be a polite is not a thing over there,

True. People will either think you've just escaped from the looney bin, or some bydlo will take it as an invitation for a fight. Smiling in a strangers face is considered very offensive there.

For real?
Maybe that were not russians.
Russians mostly stick to EE.
I though it is mostly czechs and ukranians who go abroad.

>I recently heard smiling for no reason
Either you are retarded, or make fun of people.
>be a polite is not a thing over there
What do you mean?

>I recently heard smiling for no reason or just to be a polite is not a thing over there
People in big cities are not that diffirent from other european people. Probably they smile way less than americans, but they are mostly try to be polite.
More about smiling. If you go with a smile most people will think now that you have REALLY GOOD MOOD, like being in love or something or you are listening a stendupcomic in your headphones. If you will smile to other people they will think that you are kind of flirting, so girls can smile you back if they like you, but gopnick can have some questions to you whch will be now that easy to answer.

>what do you mean
He thinks that it's ok to be rude in Russia. That's absolutely false statement obviously.
It was kind understandable to be rude while standing in line for food 25 years ago. But now times has changing completely and being just rude in Russia is not a thing anymore.

the world is ours! we demand milk and cookies!

How much time wolud you spend in Russia if you are going to visit? I've heard that it's not very easy to get russian visa for american, some bureaucracy and shit. I'm not that sure that it is really worth of. 4 days in Moscow and 4 days in StPetersburg looks like more than enough for Russian trip.

OP here, I think I didn't make myself clear on the smiling thing. In the U.S if you don't smile during common interactions it is considered rude or at least off putting. I didn't mean to say I thought it was okay to be rude in russia, just that i thought it was interesting smiling was not considered polite.

I recently started reading Doyevskiy, it contributed to this idea I have of Russians having a sort of defined introspection that is neat to me but probably isn't as big as the books make it seem in reality.

In a similar vein I just saw a WebM the other day with some russian astronauts taking off and one of them speaking like a man in a deep personal crisis, his friends empathized and expressed their opinions like they had already reconciled his feeling themselves. I'll try to find it but it was beautiful. Are Russian men commonly like this?

>smiling was not considered polite
Depends on what kind of smile and what kind of conversation are you in.

The national russian idea is whining about the unbearable heaviness of being and complaining about everything.
All our classical literature is only about this.
Yes, russian like this.

Oh yeah i get ya, I bet friends probably smile to each other and joke around plenty.

Why is that? I figured growing up working trash in America is easier and has more rewards for ambition then growing up working trash in russia. Is that true and also the cause for this?

>Is that true
Well, on the one hand, life in America looks easier in general. On the other hand, education here is free, so anyone who want to be more than just a "working trash" have a chance.

Dunno. It just was be and still be. Not only with working trash. All of our folk have this shit in mind.
I think it because winter' grey colour sky, which made people think about suicide, lol, and night chat in kitchen about strange shit like soul.
And yes, in our country free education and because that in country not enough workers like automechanic and etc.

In the U.S the only time you speak about things so deeply is when you are drinking with a close friend, and even then if you chat to long they will look at you strangely. What you described sounds refreshing when for weeks at a time it can seem like no one here talks about anything.

Maybe it is a simple as the cold and the snow, seasonal depression is a thing everywhere i guess.

Russian people have...barrier, maybe, like "our\alien".
If you our- with you speak about everything.
If you alien - with you just don't interact while you don't interact wih they.
But this barrier very thin. Sometime say "hi" will be enough to become "our". It depends on situation, of course.

Interesting, you describe this very well. In the U.S people are very quick to be friendly but there is always a barrier, except with family but the barrier is often there as well.

I appreciate you sharing with me Russkibro

need refugee in the USA to freely smile on the streets. pls halp groomy russians oppressing me

I'm ok