What does AMERICAN English sound like to foreigners? Does it resemble any other language you've heard...

What does AMERICAN English sound like to foreigners? Does it resemble any other language you've heard? Or does it sound unique?

Not allowed in this discussion: Canada, UK, Australia, NZ

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Kj5TL1l9QYQ
youtube.com/watch?v=4NriDTxseog&t=111s
youtube.com/watch?v=xedDuRnXOGY
youtube.com/watch?v=xLqQ6Fk5Wec
youtube.com/watch?v=Vt4Dfa4fOEY
youtube.com/watch?v=-VsmF9m_Nt8
youtube.com/watch?v=wJXgox_fl3E
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

bump out of curiosity

It sounds wobbly.

At the risk of offending english posters, the american accent is the standard english accent for me. It's not really unique, it's just english with more pronounced R and more AMERICAN.
And it's not a language, barely a dialect too. You barely have any different words.

English overall is so intuitive, just feels right. American accent is standard. I think it's because I consume more American content than from any other English speaker nation

Anti intellectual.

Like watching Breaking Bad, I guess.

Is there an "American accent" in other languages and does it change withing areas of America (do New Yorkers and Southerners speak differently when speaking a language that isn't english)

it's alright

What exactly do you mean by "different words"? If you mean slang, we have tons of it. It's just our media is so influential that other english speaking countries started using it, too.

objectively yes
Ask any Mexican what they think of American Spanish.
>what the fuck is "Refresco"?

It sounds like british english, but whitout the speaker having a stick in his ass.

ENGLAND BTFO

When you guys say "American accent", which accent do you mean? We have a lot of accents. Can you post videos showing which kind of accent you're talking about?

>American Spanish
Lol, no such thing. Too many different latino groups. My family and I are Cubans, we sound nothing like Guatemalans or Mexicans.

>French speaker
pot, meet kettle

>Is there an "American accent" in other languages
literally what the fuck are you even asking

You know how Russians sound different when speaking English than Mexicans?
That's what he means, except for an English-speaking American who is speaking a different language.
Mexicans make fun of Americans' Spanish accents all the time.

First or second gen right?
Your family has had no time to learn or internalize the local variant of Spanish.
A native to a Latin American country would be able to instantly figure out a born American because of minor differences in dialect.

>First or second gen right?
Technically first gen, but practically second gen. My dad came here when he was 5, his English is flawless.
>Your family has had no time to learn or internalize the local variant of Spanish.
I'm from Miami. Cuban is the local variant of Spanish, and it sounds very different from the California Mexican dialect.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I'm talking NORMAL American English, like the kind of voice you'd hear on a commercial from TV. Those rarely have southern, new yorker, or whatever accents. They just sound "normal" to the average American. I'm sure even foreigners can tell that southerners sound a bit silly

Should mention I am OP, not the other guy, let's just not get off-track here

>southerners sound a bit silly
wrong

Sometimes good, sometimes too nasal compared to other accents.

Differences in vocab between British and Americans, like truck/lorry, ass/fanny, hours/bongs, fries/chips, etc.

>wobbly
Care to elaborate?

>American accent
I always assume foreigners mean what we usually mean, which is the "neutral" tv accent that's basically Midwest-lite. Ime, they usually mean NY, CA, or TX.

>ass/fanny, hours/bongs
bongs are the things you smoke out of user

I don't know where you heard that we use bongs for hours? that surely must be really inefficient, bongs are expensive my dude

also fanny means pussy you dickhead lmfao
we call ass ass you mong

dumb yank dickhead don't fucking talk about english ever again you uneducated cunt

btw although fries are still widely known as chips here

over the past 5 years they've become incredibly interchangeable here it's shocked me

back in 2013 when you would be shocked to hear a brit calling chips fries, now even on our menus it's called fries (at least in kfc and all that)

Hiding posts by all non-American Anglophone flags t'bh

it is the less interesting of all the english accents

Fries are what we call skinny cut chips, hence why fast food places list them as fries.

idk im the son of foreigners bruv i guess i learned that they're all called chips from their inexperienced english

You need to leave Rajesh/Pawel

call me Mustafa ;)

The varied tones, seemingly random weights on words create stereotypical "american accent", which most children can imitate as a joke, even if they don't speak english.

Not sure how many people have seen this already but this is how it supposedly sounds.

youtube.com/watch?v=Kj5TL1l9QYQ

Does anyone else alternate between dialects/accents, depending on who they're around?

Thanks.
I think that comes from being a bastard language that's seen the influence of several waves of immigrants.

i bet most non native english speakers are not that knowledgeable about different accents

>which most children can imitate as a joke, even if they don't speak english.
So like most languages that exist?

English is only one component of the American language.
"Don't put salsa on yer lutefisk, broseph, but wasabi is good to go."

Also, to add, there are tons of american accents, due to the whole immigrant thing
youtube.com/watch?v=4NriDTxseog&t=111s

Aside from the clear 1970s NYC reference point, it sounds convincing to me

Old southerners can go absolutely crazy with figures of speech/slang words and can be difficult to understand.

>grew up in rural/exurban IL
>mfw this creole gibberish absolutely makes sense to me

I've heard that TV and radio (broadcast spoken word) have done a lot to homogenize our national speech patterns, but people choose to do accents to fit in better with the locals.
Sort of a bland, Midwestern thing at work, but switch to hicksville at the hardware store.

Pretty much this

youtube.com/watch?v=xedDuRnXOGY
youtube.com/watch?v=xLqQ6Fk5Wec

We even have an expression derived from it : "à la wanegaine", wanegaine being is a rough transliteration of "wanna again" mocking the american accent. It's hard to translate though.

More to the swarthy kind but yeah, it fits for a commoner's tongue

It was meant to be confusing, per the OP's direction.
Here, let me google that for you"
Don't = contraction of Do and Not
Salsa = Tex/Mex
Yer = Brit for "your"
Lutefisk = Nordic / Minnesota
Broseph = rural Indiana
Wasabi = Japanese
Good to Go = Military slang
Bit of a melting pot, eh?

Ever heard Gullah?
Ow, my head.

hello

I was agreeing with this, and that was the point of my post. Was that unclear?

youtube.com/watch?v=Vt4Dfa4fOEY

kek wtf man, i had to look for my headphones because i though i went deaf or something.

Now you know how it sounds

yes, it gave me some serious autism for a few seconds... powerful shit.

youtube.com/watch?v=-VsmF9m_Nt8
this is a good one as well

Barely made any mistakes. More British terminology is
____(UK)_____ _____(US)_____
"nog in the bog" = to vomit
"Knifey" = kitchen knife
"God save the Queen" = bless you

As a native Southerner, he's my two cents.

- New England accents - Homely and mellow
- Boston - Where's the R?, nasally.
- Upper midwest - Canadian 'aboot' doontcha knooow.
- Midwest - Speak like they hold their noses
- Heartland - Neutral and flat
- New York city - Sound like they have peanut butter in their mouth
- California - Valley girl 'like you know, whatever', and neutral like the midwest.
- Texas - The western half is the twangy cowboy sound. The eastern half has a drawl like we do.
- "Deep Southerners" - Soft and humming
- Appalachia - Strong Hillbilly twang
- Upper South - Country singer twang

very english post

we're taking over

I can definitely recognize a generic American accent.

You must be mistaken. Turn off that VPN and post with your real flag.

sounds nasal, as if someone was trying to talk through their nose

it sounds normal. british english sounds like some lords or just some play characters are talking. i still think that any englishman is automatically a high-iq intellectual just because he speaks english with that accent.
american english is for pop culture and cheesy youtube videos, british english is for plays and other forms of higher culture

plain and neutral

>tfw we are the Brazilian Portuguese to the original Portuguese
HUHEHUEAHEUHEAUHEUHAUE

Americans sound like SIMS
youtube.com/watch?v=wJXgox_fl3E