Spanish

How different is Spanish around the world? If we look at English, it could be pretty much the same as is the case with Anglo countries. But then we have Jamaicans and so forth which make it different.

How is Spanish around the world? Can a Dominican, an Chilean and a Spaniard understand each other?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_Academia_Española
elpais.com/especiales/2016/acentos-del-espanol/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

even less different

What about Mexican-American Spanish?

Bullshit
I legit cannot understand spoken spanish from some latino countries.

Is it the accent of the country, or more a class thing. Like Ebonics in the US?

it's not just a matter of hearing, some english dialect is hard to follow too

but spanish is grammatically dictated by the Real Academia Española

no matter how different they might sound they are all spanish in the practical sense

english and dialects tho are not, with no academy to define correct speech there is greater space for grammar shift

Both.
Class is much less important than in, say, posh in England though. At least here.
There is a greater space for it sure, but that grammatical shift has not happened. Besides, the RAE's influence is not that big. They aren't really supposed to keep the language together.

For example, we use twice the verb tenses than some latino countries.

>aren't really supposed to
they are, that's why it was created to watch over correct spanish

Half Spanish myself and I can't understand a fucking word from Argentinian people.

What does RAE think of voseo?

>They aren't really supposed to keep the language together
That is their very purpose.
"Article 1 of its founding charter: "... to ensure the changes that the Spanish language undergoes [...] do not break the essential unity it enjoys throughout the Spanish-speaking world."

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_Academia_Española

It's the reason we don't end up with shit like Pidgin.

>we use twice the verb tenses than some latino countries.
All countries have their own quirks, we don't use vosotros but we are taught how to use it in school, it sounds incredibly archaic to us but it's perfectly intelligible.

No. At school we're taught that the RAE's job is not to keep Spanish from changing, but to accomodate those changes. I remember a big South American writer talk about this, but I can't quite seem to find the article.
Another example: Pronouns. They are not regular vocab, they are one of the cornerstones of the language, and they vary plenty from country to country.

maybe not remain the same but the mission is the unify the usage of spanish, officially

Americanismos are now considered fair game but are by no means standard.

They can't do anything about it.

>the
to*

Yes.
I may have exaggerated a bit regarding what they can and cannot do, but they don't interfere with local developments of the language.

they can understand each other
theres few region-specific sayings that aren't understood sometimes

Even ukrainian, belarussian and russian Russian are different in accent

The purpose isn't that the language doesn't change but that we all keep speaking basically the same thing. A lot of it, in intellectual circles, is based I think on the de facto loss of the Philipines. They actually did have a better literature than some South American nations do today.

The original purpose was to keep Don Quijote intelligible which it still is to an educated person (the non linguistic period differences are a whole different thing) but I think they've kinda had to let go of that.

It's in Spanish bibles a lot. NO OS OLVIDÉIS DE PROVEER PIENSO FRESCO A LOS CORCELES DEL SEÑOR...

Different Spanish user here.

From my experience, I have no problem in understanding any accent. This is, I always understand the "word-by-word".

The problem is with expressions and vocabulary. If I spoke with someone from Chile I wouldn't understand what half of the words they're saying mean.

Echadle un ojo a este test, a ver qué puntuación lográis. elpais.com/especiales/2016/acentos-del-espanol/

Yo saqué un 15 de 20.

kek, that is a good point, it largely is a literary form to us. What RAE does regulate is formal Spanish, that's government, legal, broadcasting, education, etc. In Mexico for practical purposes we only use usted for those, even tho tuteo is by far the most common in everyday speech. It may in turn sound archaic in other nations, but it should be easily understood by all. Colombia and Mexico, not Spain, are actually the two most conservative variants of Spanish, the ones that have changed the least over time.

Why does an organization to standardize Spanish exist if all the Spanish-speaking countries primarily trade with the non-Spanish powers?

How come can't you understand them?
Phonetically it's very understandable, unless the emisor is low educated or have a very strong accent.
But the main difference comes basically on vocabulary, using words we don't know here in Spain or phrases with a meaning we don't have here or use in another way.

On thing I have noticed about Mexicans is that the subjunctive form in a very weird way that would be incorrect

Also, many Latinos use the word Gallegos to refer to dumb Spaniards. Funny thing is that they use verb tenses as galicians and asturians do here, using simple tenses while the rest of Spain makes the difference between simple and composed

spaniards used to love literature

>elpais.com/especiales/2016/acentos-del-espanol/
los acentos mas reconocibles son los rioplatenses y el de mexico imo.
a veces no sabia la palabra pero solo por la manera de hablar sabia que era rioplatense.

Cuánto has sacado?

why the fuxk do sw*des keep posting that pic?
do those dumbfucks realize it's false, that we chileans never saw ourselves or our country as white? I don't know what the fuck the retard who made this was thinking, but is fake

what does trade have to do with anything?
RAE was created in the 18th century, looking up to all neighboring countries that already had official dictionaries (portugal, france, italy)

10/20, pero 3 o 4 de las preguntas las acerte a voleo.
las unicas que reconoci a parte de la zona riplatense fueron Cuba, Mexico y España.

Memes aside all Spanish speaking peoples still do, it's quite obviously not an easy pursuit in poverty stricken countries, least of all in this age of media, but our common literary canon is a fucking awesome heritage, I can read Borges or Bécquer and any non Mexican can read Paz or Rulfo, that shouldn't be difficult to understand for English speakers.

That aside it does provide us with some measure of unity that we can all comunicate with each other in our mother tongue, we do all share a mother culture in the end.

Pretty awesome, got 10 out of 20 T_T
It's really hard telling Caribbean, Central American and Andean accents from each other.

The third girl is certainly a qt.

I have a really hard time understanding some central american accents, especially puerto ricans. No issues whatsoever when reading though.

> How is Spanish around the world? Can a Dominican, an Chilean and a Spaniard understand each other?

Yes. However, it gets trickier when they all start throwing in slang.

For me, the hardest accents to understand are Chilean, Bolivian, Peruvian and maybe Argentinian Patagonian.

My favorite ones are Spain, Cuba, Colombia, Venezuelan and northern Mexico

What part of it makes it hard to understand, in your opinion?

I don't know really, its just so americanised

15/20 tambien

17/20 fallando Cuba jajaja.

Joder con la peruana, y decían que eran feas. Leído aquí.

>How is Spanish around the world? Can a Dominican, an Chilean and a Spaniard understand each other?

Yes, If it were not understandable would use the term "Criollo X" as is the case of Haitians.

You can perfectly, just want to do the special; That or you have mental retardation.