I decided to start writing detective stories in English and try to publish them in the UK. Rate this idea

I decided to start writing detective stories in English and try to publish them in the UK. Rate this idea

What kind of stories?

Getting published is phenomenally hard. Best of luck though.

If theyre based off the Slavic atrocities you surely witness daily as a Russian, then you should skip the novels and go straight for the screenplay.

If that Rowling bitch can do it, so can you

Like "Girl in the train"
Thanks

I don't see any atrocities, but I can vase my stories on shitty TV shiws like "Woman strangled her baby and hid the body in a refrigerator'"

Very good idea. I wanted to do a similar thing with comics or horror/mystery stories.
But I think you should start at writing short stories for magazines or something.
That's how I see it

That's a pretty tapped market there lad.

Set then in Russia, people will find that more interesting

>who is sir arthur conan doyle

How good is your English?

It's very rare for somebody to become a quality writer even in their native language

it is possible but imo usa has a bigger book market

joseph conrad (he was a pole) did it after all and afaik he couldn't even spoke english perfectly (written and spoken language are two separate even if connected skills)

anyway it's a /lit/ topic and also generally it is not easy to publish a book anywhere before you make yourself a name

>Rate this idea
The phrase "coals to Newcastle" comes to mind... why not do like Boris Akunin and write in Russian then publish an English translation if its successful?

thinking of it, writing a modernist novel is probably easier because everybody will think that your grammar mistakes if you make one is an artistic device :^)
or poetry, but nobody prints it nowadays

seriously though there exist editors etc

>usa has a bigger book market
true, but in the detective genre British publication carries a lot cachet in the American market

well you probably don't realize that a book should be very successful to get a translation

Damned fine title burger

No worse than Ayn Rand

You think people want to read about Russian rednecks and their awful life?

The Russian book market is fucked up. Everything is corrupted, you can't become a successful wrirer here nowadays

that's literally what I'm doing but not because of profit, but just because I like writing. If you aren't a good english speaker I'd try to write them in Russian first and then translate over.

>The Russian book market is fucked up. Everything is corrupted, you can't become a successful wrirer here nowadays
now, it is kind of booming and if you think you can't get published in russia i bet the more so you can't get published overseas

do you have a short one to paste here? would like to read some desu

There isn't much mystery to "murder in the gulag", tbf lad

Follow your dreams

Be urself :))

I have been thinking to write Fantasy stories and publish them in USA or Japan.

you are a fucking loser and fuck your dreams