Why did Spain never manage to conquer Portugal?

Why did Spain never manage to conquer Portugal?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iberian_Union
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iberian_Union
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Why didn't an unstoppable force meet an immovable object?

Because of luck and France.

We did. Why did Germoney never conquer Switzerland?

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iberian_Union

because of the eternal albion

They feared the Portugese warrior.

Eternal An*lo

>muh evil gabachos

It is England's fault

portugal is stronger

t. Joao Sousa

the superior Portuguese warlords kept them at bay

Not really, you actually supported Portugal's independence at the time when France had one of the most powerful armies in Europe while England was a tiny little island with a tiny little genepool.

That's something Alberto Barbosa would say!

ANGLO

The world feared and fear the iberian warrior so they did as the romans, DIVIDE ET IMPERA

>the spanish are here
>brother i am coming

England helped us agaisnt Napoleon, not Spain

I don't know what happened that day but I do know that there were a fuckton of Spanish commanders that lead to an incredible fucking mess. Having too many commanders is as bad as having none.

A cunt next to next to Spain asks other cunts about Spain. Which one could answer him?

they did, it was the United Kingdom of Portugal, Brazil and the Algarves and it was ruled by the king of Spain

>you actually supported Portugal's independence at the time when France had one of the most powerful armies in Europe
No didn't happen

They did:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iberian_Union

Spanish emperors were so autistic that Portugal never recovered its former glory, it was one of the reasons of Portugal fall as a colonial empire.

A voluntary union of crowns, diferent coin and military is hardly a conquest
And this union utterly destroyed tbe greatest country to ever exist.
Show me a better country before the Iberian union.
We had everything, for the people who claim that we lacked social mobilty i ask to REALY read about degradados and the colonial policy in Brasil expecialy before we found gold. I also advice reading the general report of Brasil written in XV century and d. Dinis law.

Portuguese Restoration War
>Can't recover after 400 years
Typical Moortuguese

>Can't recover after 400 years
You also didn't recover, you are falling in the world power rank since that time. You were ruined by autistic cousin inbreds crown monarchs

>14/25,000 k/d ratio

wow

good post

Occitaniggers btfo

Not really, the first Bourbon kings brought order to Spain and they pretty decent too.

If we're measuring wiki-battle dicks on a Portugal thread, then this is bound to be post, so it might as well be me.

You must understand that Portugal, England, Spain and France have been in a banter battle since the dawn of time.

I'm waiting for the next round desu.

We wuz ..

Well, they got Portugal after sucession war while most of high PT nobility and others supported the Spanish Kangz while most of people supported some random Guy.

Never heard of Fantastic War - pic related

England and France wouldn't let them. England's half millennia alliance with Portugal started primarily as a means to contain Spain if I'm not mistaken.

>be Portugal
>have to show Spain how to fight moors
>have to show Spain how to sail the sea
>have to show Spain how to BTFO Napoleon using guerrilha
>have to show Spain how to put a dictator in place
>have to show Spain how to remove a dictatorship
>have to show Spain how to be poor and dependent on Tourism
So it goes to show that we also have to show Spain how to conquer Portugal.

Not really. It was a way of not being isolated from the continent and of not having their crown fall into French heads. Same for us, except with Spain.

The fantastic war did have La Lippe's army organisation, but the first two waves of Spaniards were defended by peasants using guerrilla tactics in the North and Beiras (the Anglo-Portuguese army was guarding the centre and the valley line to Lisbon). To the point where some wrote a letter to Marquis of Pombal to not help them because they could take it on their own.

Spaniard soldiers grew more afraid of the people than the army, since the people did not take prisoners and were less predictable.

>>have to show Spain how to BTFO Napoleon using guerrilha
>>>have to show Spain how to remove a dictatorship
Stop making shit up

Nigga, we liberated you from moors and we conquered the strongest muslim kingdoms.

>We
You're galician?

Galicia was liberated by asturians

Indeed.

The o**itan had it coming.

>have to show Spain how to put a dictator in place
>have to show Spain how to remove a dictatorship
>have to show Spain how to be poor and dependent on Tourism
With WE WUZ countrymen, our country will never move foward.

you must be joking

the bourbons were better than the habsburgs, but both were absolutely terrible.

are you asturian?
or french, the frenchies helped a bunch too

galicia was considered part of asturias, and viceversa
it should be that way in modern times, but everyone wants to be a special snowflake so galicias, asturias and leon had to be separated

who is this guy?