Are there any movies that feel truly Lovecraftian?

Are there any movies that feel truly Lovecraftian?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=y7jp1CT1h6c
youtube.com/watch?v=6QFwo57WKwg
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

In the Mouth of Madness, also starring Sam Neill

From Beyond, starring Jeffery Combs

Problem Child 2

my diary desu,

just to use a good old /lit/ meme

Slither
From Beyond
The Blob '88
Hellraiser
Lifeforce

Just watched In the Mouth of Madness, and I don't think it pushed it far enough. Got close

Necronomicon: Book of the Dead

this.

Also, Dagon (2001). While it's effects look pretty bad by todays standards, the movie is a pretty decent adaptation of The Shadow Over Innsmouth. Props to them choosing to do a bad ending as befits Lovecraft.

Poltergeist
Friday the 13th
Nightmare on Elm Street 2

You mean racist and sexist?

Comfy Lovecraft.

>confusing clive barker genre with lovecraft genre

Prometheus

Slither is fun and all but has nothing to do with lovecraftian horror desu

Body Snatchers by Ferrara

Lovecraft was just an unrefined proto Clive Barker.

I was going to say this too. This is really one of my favorite movies; its portrayal of the occult is just so good.

otherworldy creatures possess and change humans LC horror doesn't have to be grimdark
all the time
clive barker gets his own genre? fuck off frog poster
Cronenberg gets his own genre but clive needs to put in more work

Alien

Species
Alien

HR Gigers art is directly Lovecraftian influenced.

I sometimes want to delve into Giger's mind sometimes.

There's a documentary about him, Dark Star I think, which delves into his psyche pretty well. His house is like an extension of his mind with insane sculptures and a fucking train cart ride in his back yard

any John Carpenter movie

Dagon is actually a surprisingly good flick

>spot the pleb

Clive Barker is fantasy/horror, Lovercraft is cosmic horror/terror. It's like you're confusing Star Wars with Star Trek, not the same thing even though they are a subset of a broader genre (horror, in the anology, scifi).

Whats the source of this pic

Slither, pure fetish fuel the movie

ok that makes some sense but LC wrote more than cosmic horror he had fantasy and straight horror/ghost stories as well.
And Hellraiser doesn't fit in with the rest of Barkers stories like Neverwhere or Imajica with Leviathan and the puzzlebox.
I almost mentioned NIghtbreed since that smacks of LC's "The Outsider".

>kinobreed will never
>ever
>ever
>get a sequel
Why live

The Borderlands

really? blatant references like hobb's end and mrs pickman were too subtle for you?

ITT: people who haven't read a single page of Lovecraft's work

Prometheus and Alien are more of what I think of as Lovecraftian than In the Mouth of Madness

That was more about insanity rather than cosmic horror

I completed bloodborne

I still have the artbook with all the Nightbreed profiles and studio pictures. And a fair amount of the comics which were pretty interesting, the NB vs HR too which was strange but cool. Leviathan declares war on Baphomet.

For the love of all that is holy and good, please be bait.

Didn't we discuss this yesterday?

Alien and The Thing seemed to be the consensus.

The Mist takes the cake desu

I didn't browse Sup Forums yesterday

The thing needed to remove the ufo crashing scene to really qualify

Thats fine but at least skim the archives to catch up

No thanks

I tend to identify LC with humanity having to deal with unexplainable/otherworldly. Sci-fi without the science.
I want to throw in the "Silent Hill" movie and I'll even add Tremors. Maybe even Carpenters Prince of Darkness but I haven't watched that in ages.

The Last Wave

I need to watch this flick, it sounds very interesting.

Hello Newt

Lord of Illusions.
Never gets named in these threads. I hate you fags.

Dagon scared me as a kid

That hotel scene is burned into my brain

Do people really do this?

meme

HP was that way as a young man, but renounced that shit later on.

When I rented it (yes, I'm old) I was expecting absolute garbage but was presently surprised.

Same.

I also liked The Unnamable 1&2. Not a popular choice, but they're pretty good.

videodrome. sorta.

I've never seen a movie attempt cosmic horror that wasn't dogshit, so videodrome is the best you're gonna get.

God no. I barely expect people to read the fucking thread they're posting in.

So to not make myself look like a complete ass, I decided to go after the meaning of the Lovecraftian.

>Lovecraftian horror is a subgenre of horror fiction that emphasizes the cosmic horror of the unknown (and in some cases, unknowable) more than gore or other elements of shock, though these may still be present. It is named after American author H. P. Lovecraft (1890 – 1937).

>Lovecraft refined this style of storytelling into his own mythos that involved a set of supernatural, pre-human, and extraterrestrial elements. His work was inspired by and similar to previous authors such as Edgar Allan Poe, Algernon Blackwood and Lord Dunsany.

>The hallmark of Lovecraft's work is cosmicism: the sense that ordinary life is a thin shell over a reality that is so alien and abstract in comparison that merely contemplating it would damage the sanity of the ordinary person. Lovecraft's work is also steeped in the insular feel of rural New England, and much of the genre continues to maintain this sense that "that which man was not meant to know" might be closer to the surface of ordinary life outside of the crowded cities of modern civilization. However, Lovecraftian horror is not restricted to the countryside; "The Horror at Red Hook", for instance, is set in a crowded ethnic ghetto.

>Themes found in Lovecraft's writings are considered to be components of a "Lovecraftian" work:

>Anti-anthropocentrism, misanthropy in general. Lovecraft's works tend not to focus on characterization of humans, in line with his view of humanity's insignificant place in the universe, and the general Modernist trend of literature at the time of his writings.

>Preoccupation with viscerate texture. The horror features of Lovecraft's stories tend to involve protean semi-gelatinous substances, such as slime, as opposed to standard horror elements such as blood, bones, or corpses.

>Antiquarian writing style. Even when dealing with up-to-date technology, Lovecraft tended to use anachronisms as well as old-fashioned words when dealing with such things. For example, he used the term "man of science" rather than the modern word, "scientist" and often spelled "show" as "shew" and "lantern" as "lanthorne."

>Detachment. Lovecraftian heroes (both in original writings and in more modern adaptations) tend to be isolated individuals, usually with an academic or scholarly intent.

>Helplessness and hopelessness. Although Lovecraftian heroes may occasionally deal a "setback" to malignant forces, their victories are temporary, and they usually pay a price for it. Otherwise, subjects often find themselves completely unable to simply run away, instead driven by some other force to their desperate end.

>Unanswered questions. Characters in Lovecraft's stories rarely if ever fully understand what is happening to them, and often go insane if they try.

>Sanity's fragility and vulnerability. Characters in many of Lovecraft's stories are unable to cope mentally with the extraordinary and almost incomprehensible truths they witness or hear. The strain of trying to cope, as Lovecraft often illustrates, is impossible to bear and insanity takes hold.

The entire apocalypse trilogy is lovecraftian, the Thing, The Prince of Darkness & The Mouth of Madness all showcase aspects of Lovecraft.
The unstoppable monster, That which defies explanation & The world which we do not belong in.

Although any Lovecraft adaption/Inspired work falls pray to the same trap.
Cosmic horrors and entities beyond human comprehension just can't be portrayed in a visual medium, the moment you see the horror the film/game/comic is ruined.
This is why lovecraft works best in audio drama/novel form, your imagination runs wild and from your inability to create a complete coherent image fuels the narrative.

youtube.com/watch?v=y7jp1CT1h6c

That plus a big feature is how the character reacts to what is going on. In writing it is easy to do and films usually don't do that aspect very well.

If you wanna experience some "lovecraftian" terror, read existentialist philosophers or Schopenhauer.

I'll throw in a couple of Junji Ito pictures "Gyo" animated film about a sentient gas that possesses sea creatures then people and "Spiral/Uzumaki" live action film about, spirals. I haven't seen the film though I read the manga many times.

From beyond doesn't feel lovecraftian at all its just a horny professor trying to rape a blonde

Elle Driver, is that you?

Tell us about the Black Mamba now.

So The Thing basically

not in the slightest

no

But they both are shit. Well, maybe few first chapters of "Uzumaki" are good, but after that it all goes downhill really fast.

>Friday the 13th
>Lovecraftian

Fuck is wrong with you

>tfw you will never see a blasphemous angle

Would Sup Forums also go insane if they discovered that white people are descended from white gorillas?

>ctrl+f the mist
>1 result

Sup Forums is cucked beyond belief.

The creatures are Lovecraftian, the themes are not.

The portrayal of Christianity in that would never, ever feature in a Lovecraft story.

hello newfriend

Fight Club

Well that was cool. Was it an amateur project? Did they have any funding?

This. Schoppy scares me to fuck. I'd rather deal with something that bleeds like a bear or a bengal tiger.

Lovecraft is difficult to pull off while still being an engaging film that will make money. Therefore most of the best Lovecraft kino I've seen are just short films on YouTube.

This is the best one in my opinion: youtube.com/watch?v=y7jp1CT1h6c

Captures the feeling almost perfectly.

The Cat in the Hat is textbook Lovecraft

youtube.com/watch?v=6QFwo57WKwg

especially the ending.

In such houses have dwelt generations of strange people, whose like the world has never seen. Seized with a gloomy and fanatical belief which exiled them from their kind, their ancestors sought the wilderness for freedom. There the scions of a conquering race indeed flourished free from the restrictions of their fellows, but cowered in an appalling slavery to the dismal phantasms of their own minds. Divorced from the enlightenment of civilisation, the strength of these Puritans turned into singular channels; and in their isolation, morbid self-repression, and struggle for life with relentless Nature, there came to them dark furtive traits from the prehistoric depths of their cold Northern heritage. By necessity practical and by philosophy stern, these folk were not beautiful in their sins. Erring as all mortals must, they were forced by their rigid code to seek concealment above all else; so that they came to use less and less taste in what they concealed. Only the silent, sleepy, staring houses in the backwoods can tell all that has lain hidden since the early days; and they are not communicative, being loath to shake off the drowsiness which helps them forget. Sometimes one feels that it would be merciful to tear down these houses, for they must often dream.

He looks peaceful for someone who scratched out his eyes after starring into the abyss.

Hellboy 1.

Mainly for the tentacle monsters, but not much else.

mothman was like the first short story in the cthulhu mythos ie the actual monster never shows up

The Exorcist deserves a mention, for the scene where the detective finds the idol left outside the house on the stairs

This always implied acolytes of some kind of Lovecraftian cult at work in summoning and empowering the evil spirit

Minor, subtle detail but it's there

>all the "muh cosmic horror" in this thread

He wrote stories besides the more metaphysical Dream Cycle ones you know

The Rats in the Walls is probably my favorite

Angel Heart is one that takes a lot of cues from Lovecraft and hasn't been mentioned yet

Problem Child 2

>The Rats in the Walls is probably my favorite

I've never found a movie or book that replicates the feeling I got reading that for the first time. I guess the closest would be Texas Chainsaw Massacre when she finds the room with all the bones and feathers. Still, that's pretty mild compared to Rats in the Walls. The creepiest part of that story was the "white thing" the man ran over with his horse. You really need to read that story 10 times to catch all the subdued story lines he left hidden for depth.

bretty gud
At some point, you gotta figure someone with a high budget and big enough fan of LC will get the greenlight. Can't imagine Del Torro not making something eventually

The Whisperer In Darkness (2011)

Really well done low budget adaptation of the story of the same name, made to feel like an old 60s movie.

At least for the first two acts. Act three goes beyond the book's ending and turns into pure B movie shlock complete with terrible effects.
I still recommend it wholeheartedly.

Also Die Farbe, adaptation of The Colour Out Of Space. More straightforward than Whisperer, but at the same time weirder. Also kinda spoiled by shitty CGI later on.

Idiot

ahh! penis!

Warhammer 40k prequel

Whenever I watch Alien I think Lovecraft would have loved this.

Hmmmm what? Other than itmom, prince of darkness and maybe the thing, nope

The Mist