So was Arrival good or not?

I thought it was mediocre.

I found it to be one of the most moving films of recent memory. Your mileage may vary.

pretty good up until about halfway when it became obvious their non linear language somehow meant future sight and then went full retard will that solder trying to blow up the ship

it was good and thought provoking

It was allright.

Personally i think the people who hate it expected some pew pew with the aliens.

It was good, but I felt the human element fell slightly flat because Amy Adams was so wooden. The "twist" and ending would have been so much more powerful if she had something more to her than having a neutral expression and discussing language the entire film.

Renner wasn't outstanding, but he actually felt like a human. Actually seeing his perspective and reaction rather than being told about it might have worked better.

Excellent buildup, really lame climax. Some social commentary hammed in.
7/10 I guess.

DUDE CIRCLES LMAO

the last half was better than the first half

Amy's performance was really touching

the climax is what made the film as good as it is

retarded faggot detected

>I thought it was mediocre.

You have to be new here.
There is no mediocre on Sup Forums, either it's a masterpiece or complete and utter dogshit, no inbetween.

DUDE DEUS EX MACHINAS OUT THE ASS LMAO

>the climax is what made the film as good as it is

A future that is already set in stone is a pretty interesting topic to explore, I just don't think it was presented well in this movie.

>time travel

obligatory "there is no time travel in Arrival" post

>the last half was better than the first half

Nope

It was falsely advertised as a movie about first contact while it is not the most important thing

I've read through a dozen Arrival threads, some 100 posts, long, and some in which I argued for hours.

I've come to the conclusion, that people who criticize the film on grounds that it was 'boring' or 'didn't do anything for me' are either trolling or legitimately autistic -- incapable of feeling normal human empathy.

I'm done trying to argue the merits of the film. It's like trying to tell someone to appreciate a fine vintage when they say it tastes like boxed wine.

Plebs disgust me.

>murricans are peaceful
>chinese and russians are always the aggressor

>muh paradox

LOVE TARS

>murricans are peaceful

Putting a fuckload of C4 and killing one out of two of the aliens is peaceful?

I liked it.

i thought it was well shot, very atmospheric but lacked in the overall story.

The "non-linear time" plot wasnt all that exciting.

>personal act vs general shang and mobilizing the army

>Implying the US wouldn't sperg out first and fire a nuke at aliens but muh ebil Russia and China would

>I am incapable of perceiving why people disagree with me

Hello, leftist.

>plebs disgust me

excactly this, but as a response to (you), and anyone who likes that sci-fi capeshit

So Amy Addams tell chinese gereral his wife's last words, but what did she said to Putin?

It's more that people who are saying the movie is "shit" are incapable of giving actual arguments for their statement.

I liked It. Good scifi and moderately developed characters. Is there anything better in theatres right now?

Kek This triggered my mom when we watched it together

"Better" is a subjective term, but there is Split and Manchester by the Sea.

Did she ask you multiple questions where you had to literally tell the whole plot to her once over after you watched it?

Felt like the twist dumbed everything down. I really liked the ideas behind language and memory, wish they had gone somewhere a little more abstract with that, or at least something bigger. That exhaustive final sequence of the film was so played out, it's like we get it, how much longer are these strings gonna be playing for?

It was clear long before the reveal that her "memories" were influencing her one way or another, without overtly spelling anything out, their language was clearly something way bigger than anything humans have ever been able to achieve, so why ground that climax in some rush-to-remember phone number instead of branching into something that goes beyond earth? I'm not saying go full 2001, but at least something a little more thought provoking than this. This movie really doesn't trust the intelligence of its viewers, once we "get" that time is no longer linear for her, why did the movie even have to continue down a linear path? We got it, you have unlocked something that will shape the future of the universe, we don't need to see the conflict resolve, obviously it will be, you've literally been turned into a super human with abilities to communicate through memory. Go somewhere bigger, somewhere more abstract.

You thought correctly. The core elements of any film are story and characters, and this film had blank characters who served little more than to project the plot, and a nonsensical story which doesn't hold up under the slightest scrutiny.

I imagine most of the people who liked it saw it at the theatre, because the visuals were mostly nice (if you like undersaturation filters, which I don't) and the score was good. But to me, it's lacking the core elements of a good film.

But they do. The big reveal/twist/turning point whatever you want to call it was 'meh'. The common criticism seems to be that the build up was OK but then didn't build on it in a good way.

>we don't need to see the conflict resolve

The film wouldn't work if it wasn't resolved, you missed the point entirely.
It had to obviously shown that despite her knowing the future she would still have her daughter because she thinks the moments they had together are worth living for.

The ayylmao's and the science are only the setting for the actual narrative of Amy Adams character relationship with life/death and appreciating (embracing) every waking moment of it.

I blame marketing for everyone expecting this to be a first contact film about aliens and science specifically.
Don't watch films with hard preconcieved expectations

The twist was good and unexpected, but in the end I was just kinda meh. Yeah the ending was emotional and the two main characters were great, but as a whole it was kinda bland and nothing really happens.
>aliens arrive
>communicating is hard, but the movie never goes really indepth into this theme
>some of the other background stuff, like the riots, cults, the soldier rebelling, etc., is just glossed over and feels like filler
>there is some tension but they manage to save the situation
>plot twist, they can see the future and there will be some shit happening in 3000 years
>the girl decides to still have a child, despite knowing she will did

Tho I might be biased slightly, I always hated the prophecy/time travel/future sight bullshit.

But that's not valid criticism because those people expected the movie to be a hard sci fi film about the aliens and the science (I blame the trailer), which it really isn't.

The opening sequence is about the mother daughter relationship. the ending sequence too, all the major events are intercut with those scenes, and even when it's the current narrative it's either a hard close up of Amy Adams face or her point of view with a shallow focus.

it's a nice concept, but once you figure out that the visions are visions and not memories it loses most of its punch. also, the non-linear time aliens' alphabet being circular is lazy designing. i didn't like the design of the aliens themselves either.

the rest of the movie looked nice though, well acted, well directed. i wouldn't say mediocre, but nothing beyond above-average either.

Well directed, well acted by Adams, but the plot is retarded.

One of the most retarded supposedly "smart" movies ever made.

No, she understod most of it

I'm curious about the bird in a cage though. In the scene when they entered the alien shell for the first time they brought a bird with them, and I wonder why. Was is because Louise has seen it in her "future memories" and unconsciously decided to bring this bird with her so that it could help her make the decision about taking off that suit?

The caged bird was brought onto the ship in order to make sure the air wasn’t poisonous.

This act originally came from the coal mining industry where a canary would be taken down into the mines along with the workers.
Since canaries are vastly smaller than humans and almost consistently emit a chirping sound, as soon as the canary died then the workers would know that the air was poisonous and would quickly evacuate before it would reach levels that would be toxic for humans.

Also it's a safe device if all technology stops working.

In fact it’s only because of the canary that Amy Adams’ character decides to take her helmet off. We see her specifically look at the bird before she removes it.

>you missed the point entirely.

No, I definitely got all that, I just don't think it needed to have the exhaustive sequence that it did. The conflict could have been resolved in a more matter of fact way, the rest of the film was, so why not do the same for how the conflict gets resolved? Why dumb it way down for the sake of an action sequence where she runs away from the evil boss man with his phone?

Feel like it has to be reiterated that with the tools she was given she is thrown into a new form of existence, thousands of steps forward in evolutionary terms, she's not bound by time and space as we know it on earth so again why not get a little more abstract? Suddenly with that kind of power, this conflict seems small comparatively.

Oh. I completely misunderstood that scene then. I though that she wanted to make a clearer point that she is a human and write bird on the board and show the bird for comparation but changed her mind because maybe the aliens couldn't tell apart the bird and the cage and that could also be the deal with her and a suit.
Pretty autistic interpretation now that I think about it. Thanks anyway

found the beginning very interesting, but then we got the inevitable reveal of cgi aliens which caused my interest to wane somewhat, and then we got the retarded 2nd half

overall tho i did enjoy it, but it was the beginning and buildup which made it for me

Well I misunderstood the meaning of your previous post then, I agree that that scene could have been better executed.
And while I enjoyed the movie, it had a fair amount of not needed exposition.

Like the explanation for her daughter name Hannah.
Not only she explains her name is a palindrome, but she even explains what a palindrome is. That whole interaction could've been cut out and left for the viewer.
Or maybe just one brief shot of her name written somewhere with a mirror against it, so her name spells the same on the mirror while all the other words are not readable.

>dude staring at circles enlightened me and I can see future now
>now let me have a hour of visions showing how much I love my family
So this is what passes as scifi nowadays?

Bet you would hate on 2001 if it came out today

>dude fighting monkeys enlightened me and I understand evolution now
>now let's have 15 minutes of windows media player visualizations and a big floating space baby

>space baby
>generic Hollywood drama garbage
Hmmm yes yes I totally see the similarity between the two. Your post enlightened me as much as this movie.

she Bogpilled him

>post yfw Abbott is death process

it was bad.

I might misinterpreting things, but isn't the movie essentially about pain?

She is going to have her daughter even though she knows what'll happen. And she'll go through pain every single day.

Isn't it implied she will not tell Ian about it, as to save him from the pain?

Also since it's implied time is static, the point of the whole thing is that fear and avoiding pain is futile?

Want to know something really shitty about Arrival?

Remember when Amy Adams sees the heptapods for the first time?

They look like hands.

She instinctively does this movement with her hands and the movement conveys fear.

Just prior to this, the heptapod, looking like a hand, made the exact same move and it is the only time in the entire movie it moves like this.

I am guessing they wanted to show that even body language can be misinterpreted i.e. the same two movements by two things that look the same speak volumes but can mean different things.

It is however so lazy and jarring that it reveals how shit this film is.

Same. Really loved it personally, I can see how it doesn't appeal to some people but a very well made film to say the least.

How does this makes the film shitty in the slightest

This is exactly what came to my mind when I realized she's going to marry Ian despite knowing their daughter would die.
Does it also mean she cannot alter the events by not doing things which she's supposed to do?

It's alright.

Will get an oscar for best picture.
The movie was not good and the script very weak especially in the beginning.
I didnt not liked it,expected great movie and god half done drama.

Why the fuck does this happen so often? How hard is it to follow a movie plot? Holy shit, I don't flip shit when this happens but if baffles me that people have difficulty following a movie.

They were pushing China as the new bad guy so hard that got good laugh out of me and my brother.

I thought it was excellent when I saw it and that it would be one of my all time favourites.

Then I left the theater and the more I thought about it the less and less I ever wanted to watch it again.

>Use weapon
>See the future
>We're running out of time
>Muh cancer baby
>Blow it up
>what does it mean
>Asian man dead wife's words
>Day is saved
>You were in proximity
>Let's be together
>Do it for muh baby
The plot was too retarded to overlook.

Essentially this, shit movie for shiteater audiences. I'd give it 3.5/10, not completely irredeemable but several leagues below the last years actually good movies like Toni Erdmann, Elle, The Handmaiden, Manchester by the Sea and Hell or High Water.

You thought right.

Also it was way politically overcharged.

this.

It was good until the hicks went to blow up the aliens, then it okay until the end when the 'reveal' is made.

Like you mean to tell me that, during one of these 8 hour a day periods that they can use to talk to the aliens they were like "eh, fuck em, we got better shit to do."? And that just any truck could just roll up on it without anyone questioning it?

And then with the whole end of the movie, it was just too idealistic for me to believe that anyone could use the power for good. You can't teach just anyone in humanity that power and just expect everything to turn out okay.