How come actors who become directors never develop their own style?

How come actors who become directors never develop their own style?

Ridley Scott or David Fincher, you can guess immediately who made the movie. Mel Gibson or Clint Eastwood? You would have no idea who made it.

Gibson and Eastwood aren't auteurs. They make movies to be consumed by everyday folk.

Can you think of any actos who got into directing and has a distinct style? Tarantino doesn;t count.

I disagree on Eastwood. I think his films are highly distinctive.

Eastwood has a style. It's very Detroit

Ben Affleck movies have a very distinctive, tense style.

Eastwood in top form has distinct style but I feel that his lesser films tend to simply blend in with the rest of Hollywood.

chaplin
cassavets
woody allen

You're the kind of pleb that hasn't seen a film shot before 1970.

That "distinctive" style you're referring to is usually the work of the DP or screenwriter.

Rob Reiner movies are pretty distinct

His style is cheap, basic, and shot on a best buy digital camera

ok

You're an aspiring DP, aren't you? Literally the only type of person who'd believe this

As a DP your job is to implement the director's vision. The only time the DP's style is dominant is when it is a novice director relying on them for things they shouldn't

>Sully is one of the only feature length movies ever to be shot almost entirely on IMAX

and still looked that cheap. eastwood is a chump

what about apacalypto, and passion of christ, both done in subtitled dead languages. That isn't exactly aimed at normies is it. He didn't need to add the languages to tell the story either, they could have been done in english just fine.

auteur theory is a meme.

It looked good. youre a pleb.

Eastwood has his own style though. So does Gibson in my opinion.

Mel Gibson's style is visceral
Robert Redford's style is melodrama
Eastwood's style is gritty emotion

I don't see how you're this fucking stupid. Is it because they don't do LE EBIN SCI-FI films?

>yfw Eastwood James Bond film

This. They def have their own styles and actuallyl differ wildly from non-actors-turned-directors in that their films focus on letting actors act rather than in your face camera work or rapid editing or any other dumb bullshit gimmick. Just a solid, simple script and a couple of well-written characters can be more than enough for a great story and a great movie.