What do you think of this movie?

Why is Emma Stone forced to wear shoes throughout the film? What a fucking waste

It sucked. I didn't even watch it.

It shows her taking them off and you see her sweaty naked bare feet

I walked out. First movie I've walked out on since the first avengers

i liked some parts
i didn't like some parts
i wouldn't watch it again like i have with whiplash though

Generally I enjoyed it, but I was pretty disappointed by how unambitious the dancing was. In that regard its an absolute disgrace compared to any Ginger Rogers/Fred Astaire movie or god forbid any Gene Kelly movie.

I also HATED the ending, I think it would have worked much better if the film ended right before the time skip and was left with an ambiguous but realistic tone. I just couldn't buy Stone's character being a big movie star a few years later. Yes you're supposed to think she got the part and was in this movie and all, but well she still kind of sucks and she's clearly shown she not tough enough to continually debase herself trying to get parts. That doesn't end after you've been in one movie.

Had some good music though, I really liked the opening number and the John Legend one. Gosling was great in it too.

why?

>No close-up of her glistening feet
>No macro shot of her tootsies that show her toe hair in the California sun

I dislike musicals but I did like this film. Whiplash was better.

holy shit lol

>why?

It felt like a poor and pathetic attempt at singing in the rain. There is something banal and artificial about the movie. It's grossly drenched in your typical saccharine Hollywood self masturbation that I despise.

Basically it's not an authentic film kinda like the avengers.

ok, but why did you walk out?

Put this on with an open mind knowing it was a musical. But as soon as they broke into the first show tune I turned the fucker off. rake o fucking pish.

the rest is nothing like the first song. I honestly hated the opening but enjoyed the rest of the movie.

It's alright.

Has there ever been a more controversial movie on Sup Forums? We can't even have good discussions about it.

I think that people just got overhyped and they also came in with bad expectations. They wanted like a classic 50s musical, but it's not like that or supposed to be like that. It's supposed to be like a toned-down '10s version of that where dialogue has to be sarcastic and emotions have to be toned-down to match the cynicism of postermodernism. The dancing and singing is like how it is in order to reinforce this idea.

Babby's First Kino

Don't know I'm not gay

>Has there ever been a more controversial movie on Sup Forums?

Literally every Oscar winning movie this time of year.

Nah, no way.

Sup Forums generally agrees that the oscar winner was shit.

Everyone agrees inaritu is overrated and mediocre, for example.

>to match the cynicism of postermodernism

And that's why it's shit. Director doesn't even have the courage to buck the trend.

It's just dishonest OP. I mean a white boy playing Jazz music? Give me a break.

I liked it as a shoutout to the MGM musicals and Jacques Demy stuff. Plot wise it was boring and predictable but none of the aforementioned stuff was particularly deep so it makes sense.
>goes to Avengers/ Marvel Reddit trash
>doesn't like other film
You're not really helping your case.

A good movie but not worthy of the over-the-top acclaim it's received.

dishonest oscar bait

I mean, La La Land is literally trying to make a statement by having its dancing and music being toned-down (as evidenced by the main themes being fantasy/nostalgia vs. reality). Do you actually think this is common?

Hardly anybody even makes musicals anymore besides Tim Burton, and his shit is as zany as ever. I don't know how you could say that La La Land is just following the current trend.

you really have no idea what you're talking about. pls stop

you obviously know way more as evidenced by your lack of argument

Moonlight > La La Land

Wayne's World did the good end/bad end thing better.

So did Clue.