APOSTATIZE

Other urls found in this thread:

mtv.com/news/2969662/its-hard-out-here-for-an-imperialist/
youtube.com/watch?v=pCKwtUXyU1k
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

why was Inquisitor Inoue so right?

What was his endgame?

great film ruined by garfields trash acting and liam kneeson

The acting was great in my opinion, but the very last scene in the movie ruined it for me.

t. goldstein

Its uncanny how great of a pleb filter "Silence" is.

I agree. The length of the movie and the slow scenes probably bore a lot of casual moviegoers.

agree 100% for garfields.

finally a new Bressonkino

did anyone laugh when Garfield says "TRAMPEL"

his accent is so shit it's distracting

So far best movie of 2017 for me. Intense, immersive, made me shed the odd tear and curse humanity. Not sure why people pick on Garfield's acting, I thought it was pretty alright and captured the main character's utter disappointment or surprise that martyrdom isn't as glorious as he imagined it to be, but rather the most miserable experience he's ever witnessed. Some of the dialogue/monologue didn't work well and came off as somewhat comical, and I would understand that criticism - but that's not enough for me to not consider this a great movie.

I laughed at a lot of moments in the movie. Garfield's horrid acting... his laughing scene... his autistic screeching scene... Jesus speaking to him near the end

>google the plot
>it actually happened in real life
Wow... what the fuck...

it's "based on" lots of correspondences and plain rumor. the novel probably made up the bulk of it in order to say something about modern Japan and how Catholicism was able to fail so hard.

He wasn't supposed to be liked. That's the point dipshit.

Americans... I swear...

These people cannot understand anything beyond the most basic good guy bad guy premise.

>tfw no qt kirishitan waifu

Why live, my guys?

>mfw the Japanese actors acted better than Andrew Gardfield

The weakness of Garfield filled me with rage.

He's a guy who can't seem to accept that Christ is real. He wants to succeed, but he's too scared to fully commit. Obvious doubts plague him, yet he seems himself as a Christ figure. Absolute vanity. He should have put his faith if God and set an example. Instead he committed Christianity to forever being seen as a religion of the weak in Japan. The early church Martyrs are spinning in their graves. What a disgusting character.

Well, the novel is historical fiction - based on real events much like a Ken Follett book. As far as I remember, the main character is an amalgamation of several Jesuits and their time in Japan. The systematic persecution of Christians of that time is historical fact.

How mad does it make you that Jesus was a Buddhist in real life.

LOL SHITTING ON JESUS IS CHRISTIANITY LAMAO

>tfw no deusu

How mad does it make you that red is actually blue?

APOLOGIZE

But that's exactly the character he was meant to portray. A somewhat sheltered Jesuit priest who is blown away by the reality of martyrdom and isn't able to comprehend the lack of glory in dying for your faith and your god.

To get btfo by shinto

STEP ON THE TABLET user

And this means that he cannot disgust me as a character?

APOLLO, GUYS

I just don't see the reason for being disgusted, but opinions, I guess.

I can't be really disgusted at him, because his feelings are genuine and not a result of deliberation. Completely and utterly overwhelmed by the brutality and the physicality of the environment, the torture. Yes, he was more cowardly than those who burned at the stake - but they knew death, Garfield's character didn't, until he came to Japan.

PADRE!

Here is my pleb take on the movie: it's great if you take it as something that has nothing to do with actual history, christianity, shinto/buddhism, geopolitics etc. and forgive some questionable pacing.

It's a look at the nature of faith and an attempt to separate it from ego driven desire to be something more than human which was the thing that drove spiderman (him associating himself with jesus) until he officially disregarded christianity. After that came what scorcese considers true faith: a silence that the god partakes with you your whole life. I don't know how "accurate" it is as far as official stance on things goes but it's at the very least interesting and feels as something really personal, kind of like an essay that was worth 40 mil to make.

>Silence
there's actually a lot of talking

He doomed Christianity to fail in Japan though his cowardly actions. He slept in the bed of his enemy.

I think the point of this movie is to show that Christianity would have failed if we had this moderate Christian outlook at the time of its inceptions. Do you think people would have banded around it if the martyrs in the colosseum begged not to die and renounced their god?

Scorsese is telling us to stop being pussy Catholics and man up.

its not his character its his acting learn to fucking read

>Do you think people would have banded around it if the martyrs in the colosseum begged not to die and renounced their god?

Difficult to say. I'd refer to the line in the movie (and the novel, I guess) about how the lack of success of Christianity wasn't due to his failings, or the Japanese authorities, but rather due to Japan itself and this mystical 'incompatibility'.

During the persecution of Christians in Rome, many renounced their faith as well. The Roman legal system operated differently than feudal Japan etc.. - I wouldn't draw a quick conclusion based on that, but I'll have to admit that I'm too knowledgeable about Japan in general.

Well then I guess he's a good actor because he made you dislike him, which was the whole point.

>mfw mtv thought it was racist

mtv.com/news/2969662/its-hard-out-here-for-an-imperialist/

KUNDUN! i liked it.

youtube.com/watch?v=pCKwtUXyU1k
riterarry just gotta step on a plaque. Why kirishitans so stoopid

I understand this reference.

Scorsese's Silence was great imo.
It didn't pick any sides, nor did it try to virtue signal like so many other movies do nowadays.

Wether you're an Atheist or a Theist, you'll always feel like your belief is the one that the movie is shilling for.

**Minor Spoiler**
Also, it shows just how smart those Nips were back in the day, getting to know the enemy better than it knew itself

I enjoyed it.
Slow paced film, so have a cup of coffee before watching it, or keep that soft drink handy.

stop forcing your shitty maymays

t. atheist

And for those that keep on saying that
"THE ENDING RUINED IT 4 meh"

I'm not a Theist, but a lot of people I know are. Family and Friends. If they find comfort in their religious convictions, as long as they aren't hurting or harassing anyone, I'm perfectly fine with it.

And if the Jesuit still believed in God, even after all of that ordeal he went through, than at-least show him some sympathy.

Yeah the ending was perfectly fine for me.

I live in a conservative town and this movie was out of theaters after a week or so

Nagasaka had a fuck ton of jap catholics and then they all got nuked

>buying sinnopsuedo history

OY VEY GUA LO WE WUZ CHRIST N SHIT

well the ending was dumb alone because we already as an audience knew that he didn't honestly give up christianity, no shit he was hiding it. it might have had some kind of interesting ambiguity too to not have shown the cross. missed opportunity IMO

Disliking the character =/= Disliking the acting

i read that the grave of Father Ferreira was destroyed by the nuke lmfao