This was a hell of a movie

This was a hell of a movie.

What's the hook? I just saw a trailer and it looks like the most emotionless film ever.
>teenager's dad dies
>brother become guardian
What else?

casey affleck accidentally burns his down with his three young children inside

He's been through some awful shit and everybody in his home town suspects him of being a monster, that's why returning to take over guardianship of his nephew is so painful to him.

It's kind of a "spiky" movie.

There are scenes that really get to you and are well acted and followed up by the ho-hum of daily life which is what it was going for.

It's a "real" film in how it portrays life in a way that doesn't necessarily conform to narrative tendencies but is till satisfying.

Anyone else think the nephew was a complete faggot? I would have been like " yeah you're on your own lol"

You sound like the faggot here.

WE ARE STENTORIAN

He was pretty obnoxious.

It's a character movie, not really a lot happens in the story. It's just a depressed guy coping with the world after tragedy ruined his life.

That's what I like about this movie, all the characters are assholes. Not a single person is really a "good person", it's very realistic.

how was kyle chandlers character an asshole? he was the nicest guy?

Seemed like a rather typical teenage boy to me.

He was cheating on his wife

what when did that happen? i thought she was just an alcoholic

That doesn't sound right.

why didnt casey affleck just kill himself after he failed killing himself in the police station? why didnt he ever attempt it again?

Come to think of it, did the alcoholic ex wife even react to his death?

no at first not because she was already living somewhere else with her new christian husband. but chad wrote her an email i think

That's why he's a faggot. He's drowning in pussy and we were all virgins at his age.

it was heavily implied that he didn't because of his relationship to chadboy, shown in the scene where he his brother doesnt let him leave withput saying goodbye to chad

Because it was a brief moment of being overwhelmed emotionally. After that he sort of just dies inside and surrenders to mostly apathy and going through the motions of living. He also had a brother and nephew still.

Also a lot of people that try to kill themselves regret it later if they survive.

I thought it was implied he fucked his Asian doctor?

I love the part where Casey Affleck takes the time to see his brother's corpse, see his face one last time and says goodbye. Meanwhile the nephew is totally unaccustomed to the idea lost loved one and immediately nopes the fuck out of there.

Pure kino

I dont know. if he was as broken as he seemed to be, and if you kill your three children, I think the normal thing would be to blow your brains out. it almost seems expected. maybe i side with the people who thought he was a monster, because he was actually able to go on living, as fucked up as he was. I mean ask yourself, if someone you knew knew like a friend accidentally killed their own children, do you think they would actually be able to live with that?

what made you think that? because she was at his funeral?

No i don't think so. And it isn't mentioned in the wikipedia plot summary.

>"Dr. Bethany was always very kind to him"
>His wife storming out of the room and Joe flirting with Dr. Bethany

"I should burn in hell for the things I said you"- Michelle Williams character

>I should burn in hell
>Burn in Hell
>Burn

;_;

like i said, the whole film evolves around the fact that he has this kind of guilt of taking guardianship of his nephew because he cares for him (implied by the fishing scenes) while at the same time having the conflict of being afraid to take care of him and accidently doing a mistake (hence he is always so twitchy when with him and almost driving over him by accident)
that was the whole point of chad

> I can't fight it

He didn't want to hurt his family and ex-wife any further. His brothers emotionally blackmails him in one scene by making his son hug him before he leaves

His mistake was one that even a sober person could have made. Fireplaces are stupid to even have these days.

And I think everyone is different.

He has family ties still, he mentions he is a christian. I think it makes sense that he wouldn't kill himself after he came to his senses. It would make sense if he did kill himself. Either way it's understandable to me. Me personally I think I would kill myself. I couldn't handle that kind of burden.

I wonder if that was intentional.

Manchester By The Sea and Moonlight were both very good films this year because they have no melodrama in them. They are not fucking lala land hollywood sucking its own dick oscarbait

>and I love youu
>*Lee dies internally a little more*

/ourguy/ won the BAFTA at least right?

the allegations against affleck were pretty retarded. don't people understand that everyone from MA is a total asshole who acts like this?

Good film, though Margaret was better.

The scene where he goes to the night store was pretty intense to watch

This is the best movie nominated in the Oscars

He was an asshole to everyone, they might be more sympathetic if he didn't treat them all like shit.

I cried ;_;

>Louder than bombs

>Yeah, but I was gonna try to get a
place with an extra room. Or room
for like a pull-out sofa.

>What for?

>In case you wanna visit sometime.
Or if you’re lookin’ at colleges in
Boston or somethin’ and you wanna
stay overnight...

>I’m not goin’ to college.

>Then I'll have an extra room for
all my shit. Do we have to talk
about this now?

hold me lads

>Can I have some money?

kinda off topic, but this has been bothering me quite a bit. what move is this from? i know it's been edited, but i remember seeing it somewhere.
thanks in advance.

This movie was pure kino and MOTY 2017

shawshank redemption

i feel stupid now. thanks.

>tfw casey will probably get booed if he wins best actor at the oscars

Why??

He only ever does it when Lee starts to treat him like a kid when he is trying to discuss things like the boat and him moving and Lee shuts him down. Even the most maladjusted autist should be able to see he's simply a kid who has had to grow up to fast. His mother (when around) was an alcoholic/crazy, his father has a condition that predisposes to him dying suddenly which is exactly what happened and the kid knew it too. His father went into great detail preparing for his own death. The only thing he didn't count on was Lee not being able to care for his nephew. Even the kid expected Lee would be his guardian.

>why can't you stay?
>...I can't beat it

There's so many little moments like this on the movie, on a rewatch I cried twice as many as I did during the first watch

I've not seen it. I don't think I could stand two hours of Manc accents
>Ayy fookin mad fer it arr kid fookin Hacienda layk

Yeah I'll pass

He's a rapist

He's a 16 year old with no mother, and a father that just died. What the fuck would you expect ? He played it well. You're probably just a bitter virgin mad that his character was banging like 3 14-16 year olds daily.

>i cant beat it
Got me right in the feels.

Also, him quietly mumbling please as the police wrestled the gun from him.

This entire movie was an emotional masterpiece and I was not ready.

it was one of the most depressing movies i've ever seen.

also the most subtle depictions of depression on film.

Only one scene constituted as a hint towards Casey Affleck suffering from it, and its when he says to his nephew near the end.

>"I can't beat it.....I can't beat it"

It's a real as fuck movie too, nothing's really sugarcoated or twisted narrative to conform to some traditional storytelling. It's just life.

>theres nothing there

>i cant fight it

>police station

There's an authentic feeling to it. The scene whee the kid is just sitting there watching the Bruins play trying not to think about his mothers husband shutting down them trying to reconnect was subtle but really sad.

the more i think about scenes of just regular dialogue seemingly between characters even when it is isn't emotional in contrast to the most dramatic scenes makes me realise this movie is more kino than I thought.

he practically never smiled again after the night he got drunk and played table tennis with his friends than his house burnt down.

Lucky him that he didn't do it like that. Good way to become a vegetable.

Perfect movie but can't recommend it to anyone. I managed to watch it from the frame of connecting with the character and being appreciative for the things that I have so it was in a way a very warming experience but I guess that most of the people would go depressed after watching it.

Consider that in all his teenage angst and while going through his own ,things which are extremely harsh, he still never went in the place of shouting and blaming his uncle for what happened which makes him alright to me.

Also his and afflec's relationship was also very tragic, just look at the beginning of the movie, how close they were and how much fun they had together and all of this was stolen from them by what happened. You can still see their past in their present day relationship, they feel close but of course their actions go through a filter of a tragedy.

He made some sort of promise to his brother and to himself, he also believes that he doesn't deserve this kind of salvation. At the police station he let himself be overwhelmed but after that he decided to carry the burden of what happened. I also thought that he wanted to commit a second-hand suicide by getting beaten up in bars but I guess he just wants to be punished physically as well (well, at least it's just my take on it).

>*Lee dies internally a little more*

Mind telling your take as to why? Because he doesn't think he deserves love or doesn't want to remember his old life?

If you like this, go check out some other Lonergan kino like You Can Count on Me..sorta similar to Manchester with a comfy small town feel

Margaret is his masterpiece.

haven't seen it, but i've been meaning to try get my hands on the extended cut.

>Mind telling your take as to why? Because he doesn't think he deserves love or doesn't want to remember his old life?

A combination of both I'd say. I think he understands that his kids were the best thing he would ever do and the best thing it would ever come from his relationship with Randi and he killed them all. He says "there is nothing there" meaning that their love won't give any fruits now, it would be just dragging her to his miserable existence. Knowing that it's impossible, it would be easier for him to keep believing Randi hates him.

>look up that sweater
>its a real chain dive bar
>exactly the kind of place the young lee would go drinking and buy fucking merch from
>in the contemporary stuff, nothing with logos or places

KINO
I
N
O

>He says "there is nothing there" meaning that their love won't give any fruits now

I don't think he says that about their relationship though, before that she was saying "you can't die", I think that "there is nothing there" isn't really a thought that he tried to convey, he was going for the feeling behind it, like there is nothing that can be done now, there is no meaning behind redemption of his sin and moving on with his life, his life is now being a husk and carrying the burden.

On that note I think it's great that you can't truly tell what he was thinking, there were tons of scenes and phrases like that in the movie and it's one of the things that makes it great, you begin to see people past the characters. Just watched nocturnal animals and I think I understood too much for what director was going for.

Let's settle this for once.

The gun has no bullets or it has the safety switch on?

I go for the second one.

It seemed like the safety was on. I seem to remeber him fudging around with the gun very quickly after stealing it but couldn't figure out how to turn the safety off.

Safety+no round in the chamber

He puts the gun to his head immediately, without doing anything, it clicks and he is like oh shit i remember movies, then he trys to fix it

Also the reaction of his dad and brother are the best thing in the whole scene

>tfw I didn't even read the description of the movie or see any trailers
I just thought he was an asshole with aspergers in the beginning until it was slowly revealed how he ended up how he did. Almost like reverse character development.

Someone should do a webm after he left the police office and goes for the gun

The few actually emotional conversations I've had in my life, with my parents or breaking up with girls or whatever, have been exactly like that. Everybody interrupting each other and saying thing the others couldn't understand correctly.

This movie captures perfectly how a conversation like that would go down

I've seen some people say they thought it looked like a romantic movie because of the poster and name. Maybe it was by design.

But that means is a good writing or a good directing? You will not write in the screenplay all those interruptions, It's more a thing developed by the director and the actors.

Both things were made by the same guy, but I'm about people telling this should win best screenplay award... I think this is more about actors/director work than the screenplay work

>YOU CAN'T JUST DIE
;_;

I think it was actually a pretty positive film.

All the the adults in the film were like "nope, this guy doesn't want to talk to me... that's the end of that" but then there's this self absorbed teenager who's like "fuck that, drive me to band practice", "I want to bang my girlfriend", "give me money"

It completely forces him to open up. And at the end where he's talking about getting a new place with a spare room for him to stay over and how he's clearly going to push him to go to college. That's why the brother set it up so he was guardian. He didn't want to die and his brother to give up because there was no one left to care about him or for him to care for.

He dies a little more during that whole scene because it reminds him of everything that made him happy. He has spent every day for years trying to repress his grief, and then she reminds him of his past life all over again

Its been a long time since a movie is discussed properly by Sup Forums
So we can all agree this is /öūrkìño/ right?

>I can't beat it

goddamn that hit me hard

it's the same bar as the one he gets into the fight at after he bumps into randi

you can see one of the t-shirts hanging up on the wall in the background

whats the context

>he's not crying
>cause I know how to handle him
ff to brother's funeral
>Randi's new kid won't stop crying
>new husband takes the kid
>he doesn't know how to handle him
>Lee notices it

he's explaining to the kid why he can't stay and the arrangements he has put in place for him to live in Manchester. Then when the kid is asking him why he can't stay there with him he says "I can't beat it" in reference to the horrible sadness and depression he has that it magnified even more by being in the town the greatest tragedy of his life took place in.

No, you dingdong. It's painful because he had to go back to the place where his kids burned down.

Yeah it will probably start appearing on both recommended films image macros and bait "reddit tier" image macros soon. The past year hasn't been too bad for good movies.

What was the point of the scene at the end with the old guy talking about his father dying while tuna fishing?

why did she bring the baby to the fucking funeral???

this is the one thing I was like holy shit that is not a realistic thing a compassionate person would do

Oh shit son. There's littke things like that I miss all the time, I need to give it a rewatch.

He went through months of forced therapy.

Would you say that he started the fire?

>it's an "user is jealous that Lucas Hedges has two girlfriends and he has none" thread

Could be some subtle "please forgive me and let me back in your life" message or maybe they just couldn't find a sitter

I don't think it's that unrealistic. The husband walked way with him when it was clear it wouldn't shut up, which is the polite thing to do.

>Patrick gets to plow this every night
>still has an ugly blonde side chick

Why?

It's stupid how Chad's get insanely hot 10/10s to be their gfs, but then they get 6/10 mistresses, like pic related and the not-so-autistic-chad-kid-of-the-autistic-town-of-Manchester-by-the-sea

As another user put it yesterday, she was acting like a mother which is not what Patty wanted.
If you're asking how she was acting like a mother

>she freaks out a little because the boys are talknig about Star Trek
>she tells Lee to fuck off to other room because it's not appropriate for Patty to hear him talk about his daddy's funeral

It literally cannot be more /ourfilm/ than this