What do you think of the Coen Brothers?

What do you think of the Coen Brothers?

I had to have this discussion that I think the Coen Brothers have a way better filmography than Tarantino and my friend got legitimately angry at me over it.

No country for old men>millers crossing>man who wasn't there> big lebowski> inside llewyn davis>fargo>burn after reading >barton fink>true grit> hudsuckers proxy> blood simple >ladykillers>oh brother where art thou > raising arizona> intolerable cruelty

Barton Fink > Fargo > Miller's Crossing > Inside Llewyn Davis > Raising Arizona > A Serious Man > Blood SImple > The Big Lebowski > Hail Caesar > The Man Who Wasn't There > The Hudsucker Proxy > No Country For Old Men > O Brother Where Art Thou > True Grit > Intolerable Cruelty > Burn After Reading > The Ladykillers

Even Sup Forums posters imaginary friends are retarded

The Man Who Wasn't There is clearly the schekel brother's greatest film

I didn't "get" a serious man am I stupid?

It felt like the main character was Gob I guess? But then there was also this air of "you will get fucked with no matter what" and also a sort of "religion is bs" message

I liked the movie but what am I missing?

>haha, yeah right, like I'm supposed to believe you had a conversation!
you poor, poor creature

I wish my friends were retarded instead they are just braindead normies happily eating up disney propaganda. If I asked them what they thought of the coen brothers their response would be "who"

agree with your placing of barton fink.

>sets fire to hotel
>barton this burning hotel is totally normal for me

wow so subtle

>John Goodman charging down a burning hallways bellowing "I'll show you the life of the mind!" at the top of his lungs
user, I don't really think they were aiming for subtlety at that point

yea that's pretty much it, there's nothing special going on it. kiddies masturbate over a serious man because it's not as popular as their other movies.

yyeah I was just pretending to be retarded because I want this thread to be popular for once.

well, i agree that the Coen Bros have a better filmography. i wasn't aware this was a thing. also, here's my list of the Coen films i've seen:

O Brother Where Art Thou (i think it's a masterpiece)
No Country for Old Men
Fargo
Miller's Crosing
Barton Fink
Inside Llewyn Davis
The Big Lebowski
The Man Who Wasn't There
True Grit
Burn After Reading
Hail Caesar
A Serious Man

and a Tarantino list for the fuck of it:

Pulp Fiction
Reservoir Dogs
Kill Bill
Jackie Brown
Hateful Eight
Inglorious Bastards
Django Unchained
Death Proof

but what about the opening scene?

Or the fact that his kid is going to die?

Or the fact that Marshek has clearly realized religion is bullshit

"accept the mystery"

Comparing Coen bros and Tarantino makes no sense whatsoever.

You and your friend are a bit dumb.

reee

both are overrated as shit, you and your imaginary friend sound like a bunch of entry-level retards

The protagonist is kind of an antihero because the plot revolves his complete inability to stand up to people (except that Korean kid and look where it gets him) and that weird Jewish curse

Because of that people found it kind of a bummer and think it goes nowhere. It's my favourite coen bros. The bar mitzvah scene alone could carry it for me.

I liked it the first time I saw it but it wasn't until I rewatched it with my roommate a couple of years after it came out that I realised how great it was (my opinion anyway)

meh they both make off beat yet high production value movies with overt homages to previous films

although I agree its an odd comparison it isn't the absolute dumbest I've heard

Raising Arizona is le epic

Not sure if I'm gonna be able to put it into words, but: Larry expects that if he is a "good person" who obeys God's rules, he will be rewarded with a good life. He denies and represses his own self-interest in order to "do the right thing" in all situations.

Because he holds himself to this standard, other characters (including, the ending implies, God himself) hold him to that standard at all. He can't break a "rule" or step a toe out of line without someone biting his head off. If he speaks up for his own self-interest at all, he's told to shut up, because he's supposed to be the guy who puts others first.

Other characters around him get to do whatever the hell they want, and nobody hassles them for it, because it doesn't even occur to them that it would be "wrong" to be selfish. They don't hold themselves to the same standard of "goodness" that Larry does, so it's much easier for them to be happy - they make THEMSELVES happy, they're not waiting for God to reward them for behaving a certain way.

If God exists, he put people like Larry on Earth to be used by others. Self-awareness is a curse.

>hold him to that standard at all.
should be "hold him to that standard as well"

>when his wife makes him pay for her boyfriends funeral
just

did he become a serious man by dying like Ableman?

If you noticed everytime he brought up ableman everyone clearly didn't think much of him, but after ableman died people were calling him a serious man. Is that what the main character had to do to be taken seriously? Die?

It's an introduction to absurdism

It illustrates that the whole concept of being "a serious man" means literally nothing to most people, and it suggests that Larry is wasting his life by caring so much what God or others think of him

i will fucking murder you

why not? you put forth no reasoning of your own instead choosing to act like a pretentious asshole.

you and you alone are a cunt

thanks coen friends. I guess a lot of my initial analysis points weren't that far off

Man, who takes about their friends like that? You're a fucking asshole.

>O Brother Where Art Thou (i think it's a masterpiece)

Why is it a masterpiece? I personally like Fargo best

I fucking hate them, I hate their movies.

They are the most jewish fucking films I've ever seen, they're the only films that I've seen that actually feel jewish, they make me sick.

Fargo is great, but if O Brother was playing on TV right now, I'd watch until the end. I could watch that movie a hundred times. It's light, entertaining, and appealing on a surface level, but it's not shallow or stupid. How is it NOT a masterpiece?