youtube.com/watch?v=TbUYRAS7XI8
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglo-Irish_people
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Robinson_Stoney
twitter.com/AnonBabble

he wanted to fug his mom so he was getting cucked 24/7

crippling Oedipus complex

Cucked by big Irish cock, happens to many Germanic gents

his mum was being used by a fucking pleb

he was young and inexperienced, and barry was probably one of his first obstacles in life.

it mirrors barry's life.

Yeah, I thought it was pretty rude of Barry not to give him a chair. Obviously he is the unwanted one but he shouldn't have to sit on the ground like an eight year old.

This. Barry saw himself in him, and spared his life in the duel.

It cost him. He should have just shot the fucker out right.

He's the only person who could see Barry for what he really was; a con artist who was only after the lady's wealth.

Eh, Barry was out of his depth and knew it. He lost his own child and any semblance of respect he earned. Regardless If he shot, he'd never be able to face his wife's milieu again. He might as well show mercy to his wife's son and pray that the boy can put him out of his misery.

test

THIS

Granted, the dude was a simpering wimp who clearly had a hard-on for his mom, but can you blame him for hating Barry? He knew Barry didn't truly love his mom, but at least he had a good relationship with his half-brother.

And it took a LOT of balls to call-out Barry publicly during that social gala. I do feel that he shouldn't have shot his stepfather after receiving mercy. I'd hate the guy with all my guts, but I'd acknowledge that for all his faults, he's not this inhuman monster that I envisioned him as.

vitamin D deficiency and inbreeding

He literally did nothing wrong

Barry cuck holding his father

Barry squandering his property and wealth

Barry cheating on his mother

Barry wanting to take the title of Lord Lyndon away from Lord Bullingdon

>Irish cock
>big

top kek laddie

Barry Lyndon is Kubrick's best film after 2001.

How is it not obvious what his fucking problem was?

And also his funniest

underrated (in the kubrick category) movie

>Not losing all sympathy for Barry during the second half of the movie

John Woo is such a hack.

Isnt he the clown from the new it movie?

>barry wants to fuck his cousin
>borderline autistic
>lives a good portion of his life as a NEET before meeting Lady Lyndon
>could never prove himself as a man
>has to literally raise his wifes son

Barry was the original Sup Forums virgin

Except instead of watching anime he gambled and instead of trying to collect disability money from the government he just tried to con it out of a royal widow.

I must add also that Lady Lyndon was bangin

Very true.

Dr Strangelove is his funniest. But I agree Barry Lyndon has a very dark sense of humor that I didnt really pick up on until I watched it again.

sweatingman.jpg

>Bully
>Is a bully

Wow, that was genius, pure genius Mr Kubrick. Bravo, bravissimo.

Great movie, probably my fav Kubrick

>Barry’s devious career has been governed by the ambition to become a gentleman; and it’s as a ‘gentleman’ that he holds off when he has his man at his mercy – in this one area, honour rules. Bullingdon, who has the advantage of having been born a gentleman, shows no such compunction.
Barry loses a leg as a result of the duel, is bought off by the family, and hobbles away in his old mother’s charge; Kubrick ends his role on the hiatus of a frozen frame as the defeated reprobate takes to the road again.

>very dark sense of humor
>one shot was literally poking fun of homosexuals in the army

>You can put your hands down now Mr. Barry!

Barry Lyndon was a typical shitheel stepdad.

Shooting the son of a woman you're trying to bilk of her possessions is a bad move.

personal experience?

>He's the only person who could see Barry for what he really was; a con artist who was only after the lady's wealth.

The only person who doesn't see Barry as a con artist is that boy's mother. All the other aristocrats know the score, but it's not their problem and they don't give a fuck. Barry's wife's son is in the unenviable position of knowing that the stepdad is a grifter but not yet being strong enough to easily remove him.

No, thank God. My parents stayed married for life. But I've seen it play out in other families.

>his mum was being used by a fucking pleb
Yet his mother had used Lord Lydon before barry came along. They both knew the deal, and thats why she pauses right at the end. She still loved him.

>It cost him.
The deed that was his downfall according to the narrator was his assault on the stepson.

How much would 500 guineas be today?

More importantly
What was his tax policy?

ban check

~5 grand

ITT: subhuman shits who sympathise with Barry aka a white nigger jew who weaseled his way through life and having more luck than brains.

If a good for nothing coward leech like Barry tried to marry into my family I would have openly killed that faggot in daylight.

A guinea was one pound plus one shilling
A shilling was 1/20th of a pound
So 500 guineas = 525 pounds.

Now the time issue. This ended around 1780, so according to this nationalarchives.gov.uk/currency/results.asp#mid

Barry was taking in about 31K pounds per year in 2005 money. We could say about $50K in modern American money. But really that's of questionable accuracy. A skilled laborer such as a mason made 3 pounds every 2 weeks, or about 75/ year. Barry had enough to live in comfort and drink, but probably not enough to set up the kind of home he'd need to entertain and rejoin "society"

How the fuck did the peasants live off so few guineas

Must of been the industrialisation of society that damned us to this capitalistic ratrace

>Cucked by an Irishman
Many such cases! SAD!

He demanded satisfaction

>dueling a man for the woman he loved
>coward
Nah son

Young Barry did that, old Barry wasn't the same man. He'd grown corrupt.

>corrupt
bad choice of words. Dissipated is probably a better description

best ending

Shooting the gun away from the target was considered gentlemanly behaviour and essentially expected. Most duels ended with each duelist sparing the opponent and reconciling.

>he luster after his mom

What scenes implied this? Always thought he hated Barry for being a con man and wasting away his families fortune

It's not implied at all, the people here are just perverts

youtube.com/watch?v=TbUYRAS7XI8
Best scene ever (specially if you have lived in England before)

>essentially expected
I'm not so sure, it was forbidden by the code.

Thanks for the info

what code

I could get with Barry Lyndon being /ourguy/

It's not implied.

The problem is that he realizes that Barry's seduction of his mother is a stain upon her honor, a stain upon the honor of his deceased father, and then when Barry (who is legally a commoner) thrashes him in public there is a mark on his own honor as a nobleman. The only thing sparing him from complete disgrace is the fact that he had not reached the age of maturity yet when Barry attacked him.

His challenge to Barry is not a surprising thing. It is the logical course of action to restore his personal honor and that of his family.

Why are the Irish the master race? Is the Irishmans natural athletic, creative and intellectual ability the reason the Anglo has long held him in chains?

The code duello

He was a great aswordsman or whatever, did you even watch the movie? He knew how to survive through his hard effort but didn't know how to raise another man's child and lost his own. Barry lost the game because he refused to be a cuck and a family man

Lower cost of living, I suppose. If you consider abject poverty "living."

>but didn't know how to raise another man's child
what a strange game, the only way to win is not to play

Barry was a degenerate and shouldn't have been fucking a single mom.

It unironically really makes you think.

Absolutely.

reminder to never show irishman succeeding on films or television again, it gets to their head fast

>but didn't know how to raise another man's child
I think he does, he just doesn't like Bully

>a cuck
>raise another man's child
You understand that the family fortune was the property of the heir of the crippled noble, don't you?

Fuck you,the Irishman always succeeds in every aspect of life

Who was in the wrong here?

Barry was essentially a parasite in the second half, hardly sympathetic.

There's a major misconception in this thread
>Barry Redmond
>Irish
Pick one.

Barry was Anglo-Irish, a class of English who settled in Ireland and became a privileged social class. These are the people that Irish folk songs sing about killing because they caused the potato famine or charge too much rent or generally make being a regular Irish person a horrible pain in the ass that makes fleeing the country highly desirable.

This is not some mick cucking the English
It's some descendent of generations of English who cucked the Irish going back to England.

Couldn't get no satisfaction

no you have it wrong

anglo irish = norman

normans become "more irish than the irish themselves"

also, theres the fact that quinn and other people throughout the movie refereed to barry as an Irish miscreant

Barry Redmond may lick the arse of the aristocracy, but he is most certainly an Irishman

You're off by a few centuries.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglo-Irish_people

These are Redmond's people. They came after the English conquest and were the beneficiaries of the Protestant Ascendency.

The Normans were there several centuries earlier and were deposed by English conquest.

Barry Lyndon is the embodiment of "sensible chuckle" someone post the jiff

Ah ah ah, hold it right there my friend

>This interesting surname, now widespread in the Leinster county of Wexford, was introduced into Ireland at the time of the Anglo-Norman Invasion (1169 - 1170). It derives from the Norman personal name "Raimund" or "Raimond", itself coming from the Old Germanic "Raginmund", a compound of the elements "ragin", counsel, plus "mund", protection.

Barry Redmond is a Norman-Gael. The Normans were long integrated into Gaelic society by the time the English arrived, and they spoke Irish. Barry Redmond is a proud Irish lad.

The novel that this movie is based on is about this guy.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Robinson_Stoney

Barry was a fraud and fuckig is mom.

can you really blame him

I can't find the video but there's a clip of The Soup where Barry Lyndon hits on his daughter at the funeral of his ex, and mother of his daughter.

It's my favorite Kubrick kino.

Except in rebellion

Vintage Kat Dennings

Does anyone remember another 70s movie set in 1700s that was similar to Barry Lyndon but had a lot more sex in it. I cant remember the name and its killing me.