Would this even be possible in 2017?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/K8_2rzOvPDs?t=2m40s
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

no

no

no

no

I wonder why racists didn't complain about Lando back then. Were people actually less racist back in the 70s compared to today?

>A real scoundrel, you'd like him.
You can't blame Han for not trying.

what makes you think they didn't?

Lando was an actual character, not just a token dindu. Billy Dee Williams was also the epitome of cool and does not have ape-like features.

>I wonder why racists didn't complain about Lando back then

What's to complain about?
>Black guy is shady
>Betrays his friends, which proves you can't trust black people
>Gets beaten up by Han
>Gets choked by Chewbacca
>has his hair nicely relaxed

They probably were, there just weren't ukranian snow shoveling message boards for them to shitpost on back then.

actually, people did complain at the time that the only black character was a bad guy. Which is why Lucas made him suddenly a general leading the assault in Jedi.

I HoNESTLY DREAMT TODAY THAT LANDO IS SNOKE!

He had already semi-redeemed himself in Empire by saving Leia, Luke, and Chewie.

You mean the battle of Tanaab story was all bullshit?

He wasn't really a bad guy, he was forced to sell out his friends to the empire to make sure the empire wouldn't pwn cloud city. He visibly regrets the decision, then helps rescue them all later.

Because Hollywood wasn't going look a nigger, how pleasant are we guys and how racist you are?

He was a token. He was written into the movie because the first Star Wars was criticized for not having black characters.

Of course racists didn't like it and you wouldn't have either, it's just that without the internet their issues were less visible. You think he's different because hurr older things are always better. He was the "epitome of cool" because some liberal minded magazine said he is, no different from the way that the media today pushes a certain agenda about how attractive and cool Idris Elba and Donald Glover are.

>only people who agree with me thinks independently

This. He was a shit for selling them out to Vader, but when Vader made clear just how awful their fates were going to be he rallied to the cause. He was ready to fuck over Luke royally though. If he had pulled this shit on Anakin, he'd be getting an ass whoopin or a choking.

>he was forced to sell out his friends to the empire
Actually he was only agreeing to use his friends as bait to get Skywalker, who he didn't know and didn't care about.

youtu.be/K8_2rzOvPDs?t=2m40s
this was my source. Not saying I agree, but this is definitely something some people thought if Siskel is remarking on it.

Oh, I guess I need to rewatch the movie, then. It's been a few years. Either way, he still realized that he fucked up almost immediately and ended up helping them escape.

The part where he starts talking about Leia being criticized by feminists is odd since in the wake of her death the same character is now a feminist icon. But the criticism he cites of Leia in IV is a large reason that we have these awful Mary Sue characters like Rey and Jyn. Leia is a fucking senator and rebel leader. Considering that her twin brother is fresh off the farm, I'd say she's been achieving pretty damned well.

There is always something that people could complain about when it comes to this shit. If you leave a group out, they're underrepresented. If you have a character they're either a token or an inaccurate representation.

Original Starwars: No black people, or if you want to count voice actors' race (which is kind of a stretch) the black guy is the villain.

ESB and RTJ: Multiple possible complaints.
1) Black guy is morally ambiguous.
2) Black guy is a token because there's nothing about his character which requires the actor to be black. This is true, but since SW is a scifi universe it's impossible to have a character that is black in the way that corresponds to what that means in 1980 North America without heavily grafting our universe into the fictional universe.

Prequels:
Jarjar was controversial too because he kind of seemed like a minstrel show buffoon. Once again we're bumping into the black voice actor being black stretch, but there was also some linguistic features of his speech (carribeanisms?) that elicited complaints.

Nobody complains about Mace Windu, but I've never liked him or any of the Jedi. They're kind of generic guys with no personality.

VII:
Finn by being an AWOL storm troooper recreates parallels to the narrative of oppressed black person (i.e. runaway slave) that allows his character to contextualize as black in a way that Lando doesn't.

whites weren't being replaced in literally all of their own countries back then and race mixing wasn't being pushed hard by the media as insult to injury

Why do people have so much of a problem with Rey? She's basically Luke with a vagina. She's not as likeable, sure, but her relationships with the other characters and she isn't really any more powerful than Luke (and she has more combat experience than Luke did in A New Hope).

*but her relationships with the other characters aren't any different

Another thing, I know that their high level of similarities is kinda a bad thing, but it doesn't seem to be the problem people have with Rey.

>She's basically Luke with a vagina
Luke develops skills over the course of 3 movies.
Rey is an expert at everything in a period of maybe 40 minutes.

this^