Doctor Strange was a Good movie

Just watched the movie, worth the price of admission (Zero, because I torrented it). It was a fun hour and a half.

I think it was a fun innovative movie, nothing spectacular mind you, but fun. I do think it could have been a much better movie if it extended and expanded upon the time before he got to discount Tibet. Overall a clever innovative film, but it's still boggled down by being the MCU.

If you have the time, torrent it, it'll probably be worth your time if you don't pay for it. Also, don't call me a shill because I don't watch Marvel movies in theaters or pay for their bluray/dvd.

Curious what did Sup Forums think of this movie?

Other urls found in this thread:

whatculture.com/film/doctor-strange-reshoots-did-take-place-with-scenes-written-by-community-39-s-dan-harmon
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Verdict:

7.5/10 Movie

10/10 Mcadams

Could have been like a 9 if the movie wasn't in the MCU with all the dumb tie ins, and expanded and extended the movie focusing on the important stuff and getting rid of the MCU shit

It looked way better in 3D and a big screen than it could possibly look on a computer screen.
The MCU shit was
>one line from Tilda Swinton
>one post credits scene
>one mention of the Infinity Stone at the end, without which the Eye of Agamotto could've been any other trinket with time powers
>Mordo mentioning the Living Tribunal
That can't have been what brought it down for you.

Strange is the lowest rating Marvel movie for me. I just did not like the jokes, man. They all just fell flat to me, like the one about Beyonce and the cape of levitation just acting up during a tension building scene it just made me roll my eyes.

I'm sure it did look better in 3D, seems like the kind of movie that would benefit from it unlike most others, but I don't exactly regret not seeing it in the theater either, I'm sure I would have enjoyed it though

It isn't just that. MCU mandates what CAN and what CANNOT be in the movie.

There can't be any lasting consequence without committee thinking, for instance: We can't fully destroy New York because that means we can't film future MCU movies in NY.

It isn't just what was in the movie, but what wasn't. I'm not saying that they should have destroyed NY in Doctor Strange, but it seems as if the movie was limited.

Luckily, the threat being metaphysical it did avoid a lot of this bullshit, which is exactly why it feels like a better movie than most other MCU films, HOWEVER, it still felt constrained, if not by anything else, the fact that MCU movies are very tempered thematically.

This might have been a part of the reason why they didn't expand on Strange after his surgery and before Nepal, I think it would have enhanced the movie, but most certainly it would have also made it more serious and thematically darker, but we can't exactly have that in the MCU, can we?

This is what I meant, more than the tie-ins, but I do think Strange having to deal with metaphysical threats rather than physical made it a larger scope movie than the average MCU film.

What bogged down the movie Committee thinking>>>Tie ins

To each his own, I might have enjoyed it more than Civil War, either way it's not high art or anything

>Strange is the lowest rating Marvel movie for me
Seriously? Worse than Thor 1, Thor 2, IM2 and IM3??

IMO it was a good movie, but besides the visual fuckery it is still pretty generic, I mean Antman, GotG feel more like genuine and stand alone, they feel like comedies at some moments, but Dr Strange could be titled Dr Iron Man and nothing would change.

The Beyonce joke did fall flat though

other than strange being a bit too obnoxious it was decent

That's the shame though, I think Doctor Strange could have been a very superb movie if it was recut, expanded on a few scenes, and changed the tone slightly.

I can't say the same for most other MCU movies

>I'm not saying that they should have destroyed NY
well its not like the previous movies haven't had consequences in this regard. Wasn't that the whole setup for Daredevil, that after the events of The Avengers much of Manhattan was destroyed and the massive rebuilding efforts present an opportunity for gangs.

Also they did destroy London offscreen then not say anything about it, lol.

That joke may not have really worked but I did like the line "so you just have one name like Beyonce...or Aristotle". And I thought Wong's character was really well executed.

Dormammu

I've come to bargain!

Do people unironically shit on this scene?

I thought it was good, especially since Modern superhero movies are so void of creative solutions

DORMAMMU I'VE COME TO BURGER-INS!!

>innovative
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

It had potential to be a good dramatic scene to show how much pain he's willing to go through to save people but it just turned into a 2 minute running gag that got old real quick. For me at least.

it was a waste of the potential of a different take on superheroing
just the same boring, recycled trash, no imagination, no meaning, no depth, and if you were expecting anything mystical or spiritual nope sorry it's MAGIC

Agreed, pretty good. Even still, top 3 Marvel w/ GotG and Ant-Man. Way better than Russos.

Doctor Strange is a 0/10 movie. My friend bought my ticket and I still felt ripped off.

>torrenting

Filthy criminal, I am alerting the FBI to this

Yeah torrent it, maybe watch it on your phone.

Jesus christ, Sup Forums

I know it's chink cartoons, but this is a time loop used in the right way.

to me honestly the end felt so rushed, unfinished and was given no conclusion.

it was so obvious the are making a sequel, so obvious it hurt. I wish it could've just been a stand-alone marvel movie, no need to drag the avengers into it for no real reason.

special effects were decent, but it was almost to be expected.

The whole set up of him becoming the dr strange felt so stale, and cliché.
>be me
>be brain surgeon
>random car accident
>oh no I can't be brain surgeon anymore
>met random used-to-be-cripple who talks about a healing lady in Nepal
>oh shit I HAVE to believe this
>but also I am a man of science so I doubt everything you say and ever will say.

The training scene was so incredible short and lacking of substance. Suddenly can control time warp powers but can barely make a portal.

4/10

I'm watching the 360p YIFY, with mono audio in my VLC player in my chinese android tablet.

It really was a paint by the numbers superhero film.

>Suddenly can control time warp powers but can barely make a portal.
This is common in Marvel. Jean Grey didn't use the full potential of her powers before becoming The Phoenix, Apocalypse didn't know the full range of his powers before getting the celestial suit.

Is the WEB-DL version good enough for a watch or should i wait for the BD?

that's makes the concept even more ridicolous

what's the point of a training scene if the hero can control the hardest and most dangerous techniques first ????

>haha you need more training
>haha i have learned how to manipulate spacetime!

I don't like pretty much all of the Marvel movies, and I actually liked this movie the most out of all of them.

I just looked past the lame jokes and appreciated the visuals.

I went in thinking I wouldn't make it past 10 minutes in before shutting it off.

Felt like rushed in parts? Not enough training and beginning seemed to be over very fast.

Tight? Yeah. Could have had 10 - 15 more minutes to give it breath.

But it was good fun. Maybe second watch makes it less "fast"

Agreed. We're done here. DCucks btfo once again.

Dr. Mammu, I'm Strange

I liked it, most of the Marvel films have a bad guy who is so tough you can't beat him by punching him, you beat him by punching him REALLY REALLY hard. But this was different.

Dr. Mammu, I'm Bargain

It's out in 1080p, you tardknuckle.

There's an 1080p HDRip, I don't think it is any different to BluRay

roast me all you want, I maintain Thor 1 is actually bretty good and the only reason IM 3 falters is because whoever writes Tony Stark made him too much of a quipbot; Like Pepper had just "died" and like 10 seconds later he's just shooting and a-makin' quips like WHOOP DE DOO. I didn't mind the ol' switcharoo since I don't read the comics and as a result I didn't care about the Mandarin.

I can't really make a defense for IM 2 and Thor: The Dark Thor because I completely forgot they existed and I will never see them again so they may or may not be worse in my eyes but I will never find out; Schrodinger's cape if you will.

Man you guys are mad lads, but yeah to each his own. The jokes just felt so tacked on to me as if they were an afterthought "Oh we've gone too long without a quip, add a pop culture reference".

It's the Big Bapzoopa Theory of Marvel films in my opinion.

Perhaps I also wanted a bit more magic in the world building? From what I saw on Sup Forums Strange can summon spells of bolts of bedazzlement and whimsy of wackoo or whatever but in the movie all it seems everyone had was

>Good guys make shields
>Bad guys have invisi-knives

All DC villains will be big guys that punch hard. Like Doomsday and Zod.

>what's the point of a training scene if the hero can control the hardest and most dangerous techniques first ????
No the point is they have potential to deal with those powers, but they are not ready yet. The same way GotG used the power stone, but returned to be guarded, Dr Strange returned the infinity stone, and it's not using it for now. Jean Grey returned to be normal, etc....

>innovative

Quickrundown on him:

> Thanos family bows down to Strange
> in contact with other-dimensional beings - fact
> rumored to possess omnipotent abilities
> controls planet Earth with an Iron Man
> owns small appartment in New York
> direct descendant of an billionar family of medicine experts
> will bankroll the first human cities on another dimension (Strangium will be the first city)
> own basicly every shakra temple on planet earth
> first sharingans will be Dr. Strange new mystical arts
> said to have a +400 IQ
> ancient Himalayan scriptures tell us of a Master that will save the world from impending DOOM and bring the Earth into an age of enlightment and technological progress
> This is Dr. Stephen Strange
> He owns the Avengers HQ
> you likely heard about all Avengers by now
> everychild has a shakra imprint into them at birth
> is in constant communication with cosmic entities such as Dormammu, Sutur and Odin
> Thor, Odin son, gives him all access to Asgard information
> discovered the Infinity Gauntlet, after Thanos
> from time-space prespective, he's 37 years old
> in reality he's a regular guy
> have full access to Hydra infiltration programs since birth and has never spoken about it
> Dr. Strange will guide humanity into a new age of wisdom, peace and love

Sup Forums is that way

YOU'VE COME TO DIE!

I love Rachel McAdams, but this movie is one meme more for her, I mean she plays a girl that supports a white man that can travel in time

>Can stop time with the eye, and reverse it
>Doesn't save the sanctum
>Doesn't save his master
>Doesn't stop Mads in his tracks and make him age rapidly, or turn him into a baby

Doctor Strange is a hack

movie was shit wtf ! i was expecting a epic marvel movie. classic shit

Verdict shit non kino taste/10

This was a piece of shit.

Was is it fun user?

it wasnt a good movie but the mind and world bending special effects were really good, thats about it.

I thought it was solid. The wifi joke was good. At first I was like "yeah ok marvel" when he started getting really good at spellcasting super fast but then it showed his spirit reading while his body slept so i could believe it.

I liked the costumes, but I really couldn't give a shit about the characters. Didn't care that whoever died or anything really. The effects were neat but nothing I hadn't seen before.

Typical MCU flick.
The effects were great, just as always, its just that its become incredibly bland at this point.
Good looking CGI is basically the industry standard so that alone doesnt justify a good rating.
The romance subplot was just there because its obligatory, they could've removed it and nothing would have really changed.
The fight scenes are bad as always, so thats nothing new.
And storywise its just the same story setup applied to just another Marvel franchise.
>hero is a dick in the beginning
>tragic fate happens
>training montage
>they get their magical mcguffin
>fighting happens
>hero doesnt want to fight
>oh wait he does
>hero beats big bad
>credits
>after credit scene
Also Mordor or whatever the niggers name was, just like that turning into the baddie is retarded.

I really enjoyed Dr. Strange movie. I read the collected Steve Ditko run as a kid and the movie delivered what I'd hoped for. The original Ancient One was just a generic wizened Asian asshole, whereas Tilda S. gave what I thought was a really interesting performance.

I was genuinely moved when Strange fell on his knees and begged her to teach him. That was a good moment.

>friend keeps recommoneding this to me
>fuck off it's jap schoogirl fetish bullshit
>no it's not trust me
>give in eventually

that episode, man

>The training scene was so incredible short and lacking of substance

How long was he even in training? Could've been anywhere from a couple of weeks to like half a decade.

it was boring, insipid and a waste of time, which is a feat in itself, considering that the whole movie consisted of action scenes strung together

instead of going all out with the magic and doing some crazy stuff with it, every scene either was Inception on steroids or the magic was basic shit like those particle effects spells

basically, this movie was to magic what Inception was to dreams: boring realism mixed with fantastical set pieces

also this movie reminded me of RIPD for some reason (probably because it was as soulless)

>The plebian meme

Fuck off, not every movie needs to be a Citizen Kane or a Lawrence of Arabia to be enjoyable.

>Inbefore Citizen Kane and Lawrence of Arabia are pleb taste

>instead of going all out with the magic and doing some crazy stuff with it, every scene either was Inception on steroids or the magic was basic shit like those particle effects spells
It was literally videogame "magic", just glowing bullshit.

exactly

sure it had its moments, like when he's forcefully traveling between dimensions and the mirror effect looked cool the first couple of times but it felt soulless and formulaic at the end

also i couldn't care less about any of the characters, if cuntperbatch was truck by lightning, croaked and was replaced by a talking dog it wouldn't have made a difference, because who gives a shit?

mads was hilarious in that "mr doctor" scene i'll give him that

Didn't they reshoot scenes to add more quips after Deadpool's success? Or am I thinking about something else.

you're right, they did

>Last week it emerged that Marvel's Doctor Strange may have quietly undertaken some reshoots, when actor Benedict Wong tweeted about wrapping filming on the movie, despite the fact that it supposedly finished back in April.

>Now The Hollywood Reporter have added weight to that story, and revealed that it was none other than Dan Harmon - creator of Community and Rick & Morty - who was brought in to write the additional scenes.

whatculture.com/film/doctor-strange-reshoots-did-take-place-with-scenes-written-by-community-39-s-dan-harmon

Strange would have rated highrr minus the quips. It didnt fit the movie and the theme at all.

I just watched it right now, and the great threat to all existence is fucking glowing purple balls floating in purple mist.

Come the fuck on.

>Also Mordor or whatever the niggers name was, just like that turning into the baddie is retarded.

he was lead on to fight a mystical force only to find out his mentor was using that very beings force to live and not just that she was only teaching them petty tricks to fight for their lives I would have freaked out too

>I just did not like the jokes, man. They all just fell flat to me

most of the jokes were about how Strange wasn't funny no matter how much he thought he was.

I said non kino taste not pleb patrician memeing. This was bad like all marvel if you don't get that fuck off. Not even a 5/10. Nowhere near it.

>nig takes orders from white all his life
>commits crime the moment he breaks free
>first crime is stealing
What did they mean by this?

You know what would've been great, if in the end when they save Hong Kong, they show that clip of the kid dying in the street and everyone running over him until he's a pancake.

>nig takes orders from white all his life
>commits crime the moment he breaks free
>first crime is beating a cripple

They went with the literal interpretation of Baron Mordo master of the Black Arts too far

The added humour and Cumberbatch's slightly inconsistent accent were the only flaws for me.

>Doctor.Strange.2016.1080p.BluRay.x264-SPARKS

Stop shilling your virus filled Torrents

>tfw just downloaded

It felt rushed desu.
also both Tilda and Mads were underused..
I feel bad for them

Otherwise fun movie 6.7/10

you better not be lying man, not a fan of the school girl shit, but about to give it a shot.

welp its shit don't bother

>want to see just ending fight
>skip back just a little too much
>want to see the previous scene
>skip back want to see scene before that
>end up just watching the whole movie again

Probably my favorite origin story after Iron Man and legitimately had some of the best individual scenes in the MCU.

>Tilda's final speech to strange
>mordo yelling at strange to kill the defectors

Even the final fight was probably the most clever in the MCU.

TOP KEK

The only GOOD MCU movies are Guardians>Winter>Ant, Dr Strange was too short, some scenes should had lasted the double. They basically threw to the trash Mads M acting because of using Dormmamu.

The worst? Deus ex-i dont give a shit about fans-machina battle at the end.

Its a must see in 3D theathers film, visual drug to say at last.

Couldnt agree more, Mads could have been one of the best MCU villains among with Loki, Kingpin and Kilgrave but they decided to include Dormammu

>innovative

Listen man I liked the movie too but saying it was innovative is more than just a stretch.