Why haven't you fucked off to Alaska with a ten pound bag of rice and a .22?

Why haven't you fucked off to Alaska with a ten pound bag of rice and a .22?

Why didn't he bring a bag of beans or lentils too?

Gotta get those complete proteins

He should've stayed with this girl

>lol fuck society XD
>lives in the wild with no knowledge of hunting, preserving meats, identifying edible fruits or how to make a fire
He was an idiot and he died like one.

Dude....

Happiness is only true when shared ..

Is it possible to legally live in the wild away from society like he did?

Of course, without a job and just using resources around you to live.

I guess it depends on the country but specifically USA?

Why wouldn't you be able to? They kinda allow bums to live in the city so what's stopping them from going into the wild and live there.

> not staying to live the trailer park life with underage kstew

I figured someone would bring up the homeless. I think it's kind of different. Homeless people are deep in society and depend on them to survive whereas people like in OP wants to be away FROM society.

Also, he burned his ID and SS so I'm pretty sure that's illegal

you can get into trouble if it's private land or you hunt out of season (which you'll have to to survive) but if you live somewhere remote enough no one will bother to come after you

dude I'm starving to death but I regret nothing because if I regretted something that would mean I was wrong

also the hunters I've met on this gametrail that's less than a mile from a state maintained road are cool guys

Yeah, I figured private land and hunting would be the biggest problem for the law.

So is it legal to live on public land and just build a house deep in the woods with no form of ID?

As long as you dont start mass scale hunting or deforesting for profit you're allowed.

because I have VR and the internet

I can change my background to a comfy forest or mountain area anytime

as long as you don't make a mess or start building a log cabin it shouldn't be in issue

and that's only if you don't go hella deep where almost no one goes

>being on your own
Is boring as fuck, you go crazy
>Not fucking her
Yeah no
It's possible to get away with it even though youre probably trespassing someones land but you need a source of food and water or you will die.

live there, probably

build a house, likely not because of laws regarding cutting down trees and such

I've always wondered about the second question

Winter kills, bad water maims. He should have stayed near the Grand Canyon.

really depends where you're doing it, if you're in the middle of alaska miles from any skid roads or trails no one will likely bother you except an overzealous hunter but if you're in a national park there might be issues

All land in most countries is owned by the government if it isnt private

You can use it for recreation indefinitely but building is probably illegal

A home specifically built with wood or a home in general?

It's possible to build a house without wood, right?
not to sound edgy but that kind of sucks

>have to be rich enough to buy land to escape society

reeee

Yes you can. It's called off the grid.

>It's possible to build a house without wood, right?

concrete came to mind

Yeah you're allowed to build concrete houses on public property. All those tax cucks who buy land are just too stupid to figure that out.
Brb building a house on time square.

building any shelter on land other then your own private land is illegal, only tents are allowed for a limited time, you are free to have a tent on open land that is not owned by others for about too a certain time.

Too cold.

if its remote enough it doesnt matter if its illegal

I'm not close to Alaska but I escape to the mountains every chance I got.

Synopsis of the movie? I love guys who go off into the woods alone to live and fail because its harder than hippies make it seem

>tfw nordic
>tfw love the cold

seems like you already know the synopsis.

Beautiful shot movie about going out there and actually living your life. It's a meme but it is inspirational

So he fucked up and died like an idiot?

would you?

see
he gives his money away, burns his identification, goes to some hippie village and meets
she's underaged. he doesn't fuck her. goes to alaska. settles in a bus. he doesn't know how to survive. he's desperate because he doesn't know how to leave. he eats a poisonous berry. dies.

sometimes it makes me sad knowing I can't

>going out there
Where? Along all those maintained highways?

>living your life
That's subjective. Nothing is stopping people from "living their lives" by staying in place and not becoming Tramps.

;_____;

I don't know if you can call it "fucking up". I can't see how (in the movie at least) he thought he could survive up there, so it seemed more like he was wanting to die.

using your logic, you can say he fucked up by picking the wrong place to settle in

>Where? Along all those maintained highways?
Among other things yes. Nigga also had a farm job n shit

>That's subjective. Nothing is stopping people from "living their lives" by staying in place and not becoming Tramps
So?
>trying this hard to complain
Well we all know *You* don't live your life

>crying because there's a movie for people who aren't satisfied with the utterly horrid monotony and slavery of modern existence

Why? Does it make you feel insecure that maybe being satisfied with your templated boring pointless garbage existence means you're dumb?

Yeah, hung out in the woods until he was nearly dead from starvation due to having no idea how to live off the land and Alaska turning out to not be a land of milk and honey.

Then when he felt so weak he couldn't stay any longer, he tried to do the same hike out that he did when he was healthy and well fed. Exhausted himself even further, reached the river he crossed but it'd swollen due to the spring thaw since the time he'd crossed it last, so he couldn't cross in the same place he had in the winter.

Irony is, there was a proper crossing about 1km from where he tried to cross, but he'd left it too late and was too weak to explore, so he just crawled back to his camp and starved to death having been a few miles from civilisation and help.

Luckily he documented his idiocy so we could all lau...er..learn from his mistakes.

>That's subjective
That's the point. It's inspirational for those people.

He tried to cross the river, prepared marks etc.

I suppose, but where he choose was less of the issue, compared to how unprepared he was to survive. It doesn't even show that he understands basic nutrition (only brings rice).

>this guy
Holy shit you must be frustrated

>means you're dumb?

How so? It is all meaningless and pointless. Those who don't understand that, and get past it, will always be doomed like the idiot in this movie.

What?
This guy is pretty spot on

I'm not saying it's dumb to leave society but if you're going to live in the wild you best learn how to survive.

No shit. user I relied to was implying that "going out there" was the only way to "live your life". So saying it's subjective was implying that there are multilple ways to "live your life".

Seriously, the amount of retards who browse a Into the Wild thread are endless.

they always show up in these threads, it's why into the woods threads stay up for so long.

You got me on one post, but not the other. Nice try though. I think you'll find in life that many people hate the ideals preached in this movie.

>user I relied to was implying that "going out there" was the only way to "live your life"
He didn't imply that at all though.

>having been a few miles from civilisation

Hilarious. Guy travels all the way to Alaska to "get away from society" and can't even be bothered with hiking further than a few miles. Gets me every time.

Many people who try to kill themselves pussy out at the last moment.

Over the years I have realized that this movie is the easiest to troll with. These threads go on with no end, always one side against the other. Nothing really changes. Plenty of threads are like that, but for some reason this movie really brings something out of posters.

>many people hate the ideals preached in this movie

Of course they do, they're obedient sheeple desperate to maintain the delusion that their boring lives are preferable to being dead.

I'm only the second post, but what did I say that suggests to you I'm frustrated with something?

I just described how he died.

If he'd just bought a map to go with his 10lb bag of rice, he'd still be alive and just have a wacky story of this time he nearly starved to death in Alaska.

But not many people need to validate their own way of living by writing stuff like
>Luckily he documented his idiocy so we could all lau...er..learn from his mistakes
Take a walk or get a dog or something. Depression can kill you.

>put marks to find the way back home
>pussy out at the last moment
Retarded and stubborn is a dangerous combination

He was pretty far out, he hitchhiked to the spot where he decided to cut out into the wilderness.

But he was within a few miles of the road when he crossed that river, if he'd made it back over it in the spring, he could have sat by the road and someone would have helped him.

He'll be fine.

He just likes to be comfy and safe.

Retarded and stubborn it's the only combination that works some times.

lol

So everyone should just kill themselves by going in da woods? Great alternative to being "sheeple".

I don't want to get eaten by bears and by bears I mean hairy chubby old men who haven't seen a woman since moving to Alaska decades earlier and by eaten I mean having my boypussy eaten out before it is penetrated.

>not wanting your boypussy eaten
What are you gay?

Again, wrong post, but nice try. I am not Why is there always one user who thinks he is psychic?

How do I rock a beard and crazy hair like that and still look attractive?

pick your parents & facial structure carefully

Genetics

That's not him, it's me.

I think going out into the Alaskan wilderness, in the middle of winter, without any experience, without any knowledge of the area or even a basic ordnance map, qualifies as idiocy.

Particularly since he was otherwise well educated and intelligent.

Pretty sure they'll just kill you. Most land owners in those areas would love to get an opportunity to kill some fucktard like the type in this movie. Some stupid idealist that should have killed himself in his comfy suburbia.

>Luckily he documented his idiocy so we could all lau...er..learn from his mistakes.
he probably lived a more fulfilling life than you will.

Sadly those, are extremely carefully planned beard and hair, I can tell cause I make the effort to look rugged and like I just wake up.

His ideals aren't that bad. The way he executed it like
said is what makes him an embarrassment

pretty sure he did not since he was always on the run trying to find something that makes him happy, dying in the process

At least watch the movie sweety. We know you avoid it because it makes you feel unsatisfied with yourself

>tfw live in Fairbanks AK

I know someone at a gas station that met him years ago. Pretty neat desu.

I seen the movie and I pretty much agree with what
said though.

As much as I think the guy is an idiot, I liked the movie because of the grand adventure he had. What did the guy at the gas station tell you? Any stories?

Be well, exercise, and especially start Mewing. Mewing will prevent your facial structure from becoming worse over the next decades and is likely to promote improvements. If you're prepubertal - in which case, of course, you are urged to leave this place immediately - the changes may be more pronounced.

Maybe, I'm quite happy with how it's gone so far though. I've been to some really picturesque places and not died because I brought appropriate clothing and a fucking map.

The guy who dropped him in the wild gave him fucking sandwiches and waterproof footwear. He was so unprepared it's genuinely laughable that he didn't seem to think he was going to die.

I don't consider committing suicide by idiocy 'fufilling' and, I suspect, neither did he at the end.

>Attention Possible Visitors. S.O.S. I need your help. I am injured, near death, and too weak to hike out. I am all alone, this is no joke. In the name of God, please remain to save me. I am out collecting berries close by and shall return this evening. Thank you, Chris McCandless. August?

he seemed quite happy and satisfied from what i can tell from his journal though. also he liked being "on the run" and seeing new things.

>August?
What did he mean by this?

I moved to Utah this winter to ski with my brother
Saved for a season pass and money to not have to work while out here
It's been nice, but is right, when the friends you have visit leave it's not as fun

>edgy virgins laughing at some guy who went into the woods when they in turn will spend their entire life in front of a computer in some basement making angry posts on the internet before they die miserable

never ceases to amuse me ;^)

He knew it was August but not what day.

He died within a week or two of writing that. Lack of food makes it extremely hard to concentrate, I can't imagine how hard it'd fuck your cognition to actually be starving to death.

Or we're laughing at a guy who did it badly to the point of it being funny?

Plenty of people go out into the Alaskan wilderness each year and come back alive, healthy with great stories for the rest of their lives. His corpse was found by a hunter who was basically doing what he wanted to do, but actually knew what he was doing.

I don't see anything admirable about being so arrogant you think living like a caveman after a lifetime of first world comforts will be so easy you don't need anything except a bag of rice, a .22 and a book of local plants.

Equipping an expedition, stocking with supplies, doing years of training and then, with preparations and a support crew, going out to sail round the world is admirable.

Climbing into a dinghy with no experience, rowing 90km out to sea, capsizing and then freezing to death and traumatising some dog walker when you corpse washes back up on a nearby beach isn't admirable, it's dumb and avoidable.

McCandless did the wilderness living version of the latter.

how often do you post in these threads user? i think his story was more sad than laughable 2bh

>Plenty of people go out into the Alaskan wilderness each year and come back alive
I don't disagree with you at all but I'm curious, Do any of these people go solo?

>sad

I'm not really going to feel sad for someone I never knew. There are plenty of kids who starve to death every day through no fault of their own.

Glorifying this tosser just encourages others to try the same thing.

>how often do you post in these threads

What is this, Chris McCandless general? I saw the OP, have watched the film and had an opinion. Generally how posting works on 4chins.

>.22

Too small for big game.

i would think some do, for the same reason he did. would probably be a good experience to just leave everything behind and be alone for a while for some people. i do that on short couple of day fishing trips now and then and love it, but i can't imagine what it's like to live all alone in nature for months or years, to not be dependent on anything but. would probably be lonely for some people.

>There are plenty of kids who starve to death every day through no fault of their own.
do you feel sad for those?

For how long do said people stay in the wild?

Also there's more planning then how it sounds, right? You need to have a plan when coming back into society.

You most likely need to have money, a job and a home. People can't simply say "lol brb going to the wild"

>.22
No wonder he died. I can throw rocks faster than his gun could fling bullets.

The hunter who found his corpse was alone. He had a phone on him though.

Documentary I watched said people have tried to copy him/go to were he camped and ended up in the shit but been rescued. I guess the rangers watch the area a bit closer now if it's become a bit of a Mecca for wannabe survivalists, so I guess others go out.

Then you've got that guy that went out for months at a time and lived in a bear infested area of Alaska over a course of years (decades?). Until one ate him and his gf because he didn't bring a gun.

I don't see why you couldn't do it. As I said, not a survival expert but basic stuff like a sat phone, maps of the area, suitable food (at calling time and heading back to civilisation whilst you still have food, not waiting until you're starving) and clothing, would all make it a lot safer.

Most stupid thing I've ever done is going hiking on my own in Scottish highlands in January, hardly Alaska but realistically, if I'd tripped and broken my legs, I'd at least have only had to wait a couple of days before people came to find me when I didn't call my parents after a couple of days, and I was carry enough kit that I could just erect my tent and eat mars bars while I waited.

some norwegian guy (don't remember how old, in his early 20s i think) moved to alaska or canada and lived there for around a year i think. he probably had wildlife experience from home since he said it was a dream to do it, not just some random college kid. he said he couldn't take it anymore due to the loneliness. one of the first things he said when he left to go home was "no person is made to live alone, i know that now".

Nope, see the sentence directly in front of the one you quoted.