What went so, so right

What went so, so right

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=sOGoX1B6_2k
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Is there any better television than the first 5 episodes of this? I'm a huge Sopranos fan, but I don't think so.

i think it's the single greatest series of any tv show. absolutely flawless

I can't decide if it's mainly Pizzolato's triumph or Fukunaga. I think I lean towards Fukunaga.

Just here for the memes, Marty

Nothing, assuming you're not a pleb. Cool visuals, fedora-core story and dialogues.

I don't enjoy tv shows, so everybody recommended me the first season of TD because it's more of a "mini-series", not a tv show for them.

Well for me the experience was exactly like any other tv show, unenjoyable.

The primary focus is on the narrative and nothing else, the repetitive structure, countless establishing shots and shots of a car entering a location, countless "let's go to a bar for a beer" exposition dialogues, every episode has to end with a cliffhanger, every episode has one big moment which is executed well while the rest is mostly filler, countless twists and turns etc

Like any other tv show.
Most of the time you don't even have to look at the screen, the back to back camerawork in dialogues get's so overused that you can basically just listen to the conversation without even watching the screen and grasp all the information you need because the written narrative is the main thing here, while in film it's the visual narrative.

A bit autistic but I agree, TV shows are an inferior form of a visual medium compared to film.

Man, you must be great at parties.

you mean first 4 episodes
that le one take action scene ruined the whole mood of the show

the show was ruined the moment reddit started liking it tbqh

Are you fucking serious? It was great.

>actual Sup Forums
>nu-tv
>le

it was well done, yes
but it was out of place

>there was no other noir-ish show around
>good main cast
only this. everithing else was mediocre

cary

>What went so, so right?
>Alan Moore
>Thomas Ligotti
>Grant Morrison
>Cary Fukunaga
>Louisiana (which the original pitch wasn't set)
>amazing charisma between Rust n Cohle

>mostly filler
you mean narrative? seems like you're categorizing anything you dislike as filler, which is beyond sophomoric.

So you're telling me actual Sup Forums doesn't enjoy watching tv? Seems legit.

McConaughey and Woody were such great actors and had such natural chemistry because they were IRL bros that they were able to carry Pizzolatto's hack writing.

Yeah, they only watch kino.

Sup Forums was best when you went on tv, there was 5 cunny threads so you went omg im a normie i can't see that and left.

they were the filter ;_;

It was both men firing on all cylinders. Nic spent years writing the script.

I liked the show but this was pretty spot on, often find myself listening to TV instead of watching

mcconacuck is overrated, woody harrelson is absolutely based.

fuck off reddit

rate my OC

>MAN FUCK YOU, YOU REALLY PISS ME OFF FUCK YOU

wow so based

>rust is just like me!
underage

>Nic spent years writing the script
yeah, the pitch and the pilot. Fukunaga said they didn't have scripts ready after the third episode so Pizz had to work twice as fast durign the shooting schedule to finish up. i would suggest people here read the pilot and second episode scripts (they're out there and readily available) and notice the changes Fukunaga and co. made during production. nearly all were for the better. best of all was basing the story in Louisiana and omitting the more cartoonish hallucinations Rust had.

Faux nonconformism is very popular among redditkids these days
>IF I TELL THEM THAT __smth obviously good__ IS OVERRATED M-MAYBE ILL LOOK COLL R-RIGHT GUYS?

>Rustin Cohle
>Rust n Coal
>aluminum and ash
>beer cans and cigarettes

TIME IS A FLAT CIRCLE MORTY

I never said rust was great, both are edgy

kino right here

youtube.com/watch?v=sOGoX1B6_2k

I wish they would do a little scene for the DVD or something where they switch roles and redo the first car conversation. Upbeat conformist McConneagahudg and dour philosophical Woody bouncing off each other. Love to see that.

he overacts, he's really not that good.
how is a serial womanizer with a good heart edgy?

This guy gets it.

another faggot that just calls everything edgy

top meme

Man that ending was so stellar

>dialogue based drama
Serious question, why would you watch this instead of reading Crime and Punishment or something?

Not much honestly, 2 main actors were good and that's it. Rest it pretty bland and cliche.

because we're not some ritalin-starved millenial that can't sit down and listen to a good actor deliver solid dialogue? just look at the way it all comes together in , it's a fundamentally different experience than you can get in a novel although there's nothing wrong with books

oops, meant look at how it comes together in

It was made with a male audience in mind

>it's a fundamentally different experience than you can get in a novel

How so?
If it was a proper film I would agree, but the only thing TD has is character development and writing, every other filmmaking element is there just to "fill the form", no use of it.

But that's, at best, like listening to mediocre song sung by a great singer.

Episodes 1-2-3 are nearly perfect detective mystery tv
Episode 4 (the raid episode) is a good episode but feels like it's from an entirely different show
Episdoes 5-6 are great
Episodes 7 and 8 show a pretty sharp decline in writing quality and it ends on a low note.

disagree. you're saying that because you're male and the characters we're so flawed with the women in their lives but still portrayed as brave and good men. the female characters, few as they were, were good. marty got what he deserved, and his wife still obviously cared about him, she was well written.

Semi-Lovecraftian plot with superb writing.

i loved the ending.

i know, it needed more golden ratio and centered wes anderson framing to be considered true kino by Sup Forums

it was great in and of itsels and that's kind of the problem. it transcends the show for no other reason than its technical feat. now when I watch it in the context of the show it feels like everything was kind of building to this one scene and the whole crew blew their wad on it. i actually just kind of skimmed the rest of the series after that because it took me out of it so much.

okay sorry I'll remember to give moving picture dialogue "at least you tried" points and forget that it's poor compared to literature

>no argument of why it's a fundamentally different experience than you can get in a novel
>better respond with buzzwords

Never change

that's great man, saved

Most films are more repetetive than tv shows. That same three arc structure and forced character development in two hours. So everybody become a totally different person in two hours all the time IRL, how immersive and believable.

Mods starting to ban waifue threads was what really killed Sup Forums. The very core and soul of this board went to shit and now all what's left is bitterness.

Absolutely everything

>Mods starting to ban waifue threads was what really killed Sup Forums.
are you fucking serious

Sup Forums was literally unbearable during that shit

It wasn't out of place. That's a bad contrarian meme.

What you said isn't contradictory. Well written women are a requirement for make centered entertainment.

Hello rebbit

Do people really dislike that scene? Are you talking about when they raid the farm? I honestly didn't think that scene was such a big deal. Hardly "action" too. All they did was shoot some guy execution style and shoot another guy trying to flee who exploded for some reason.

And that explosion was comedic relief.
Right...?

>So everybody become a totally different person in two hours all the time IRL, how immersive and believable

What kind of stupid comparison is that?
Most films show a narrative which does not represent actual two hours like in real life but a certain period, weeks or years doesn’t matter.
And that wasn't even the point of that post.

The point is that the majority of TV shows underuse all filmmaking elements except the writing and characterization, other elements like editing, cinematography, sound design etc are all there just to fill the form, not as crucial elements to deliver the story.
In actual films the written narrative is just one of the tools to tell the story through the visual narrative with framing and composition combined with the performances, you couldn't just take a Tarkovsky film and translate the experience on a book just like that because he utilizes every single element to deliver the end product.

Now take a look at any TV show thread, no one talks about anything else but characters and literal plot points, nothing else. That alone should make it all clear for you

what do you mean?
i'm saying i'm a woman and i really enjoyed the series, marty was my favourite character despite his disloyalty to his wife, i understood it. i think maybe you're underestimating the capacity of people in general to understand a complicated character, unless you have specific examples that's i'm not understanding?

They're talking about the raid in the hood with ginger

>specific examples that's i'm not understanding
when he taps his foot in ep3 what kabbalistic injoke is he doing?

When does the Lovecraftian stuff come into play? I'm nearly finished with the first season and haven't noticed anything remotely Lovecraftian.

Do you know the good times when you're in them, Sup Forums?

>S1 E4 of an HBO show is better than 95% of the movies that Hollywood shits out nowadays

I'm saying that there's no way the series was designed for women. Women's entertainment in general relies on relationship fulfillment whereas male centered entertainment relies on task/occupational fulfillment.

The series is about relationships falling apart but subpar/bad men being able to fulfill their task to prevent the furthering of even worse men.

Fucking this. The same kind of folk are quick to shout "shit writing" when something goes over their heads.

i get your point, but i don't agree. i know quite a few women who love cop drama type shows with dysfunctional lead characters whose private life is never ''concluded'', as it were.

Women's vs Men's entertainment is just a product name made by producers looking to hook in ''demographics''. it might be true in some cases but we're all individual, we like different things.

>goes over their heads

Where was the original pitch set?

Season 1: reddit
Season 2: Sup Forums

so in your opinion reddit is obviously the better website

for you

Oh I totally forgot about that. If anything, it's impressive filming.

Sopranos is overrated garbage.

Why are Americans so obsessed with organized crime?

where is Ginger?

Is he still in the ditch?

As much as youre right about 99% of films and series, TD is actually quite visual, especially S2.

Fair enough, I don't disagree with that

Writing/story, Fukunaga, main cast. It all worked together perfectly. Season 2 felt quite weak in comparison because of
>boring premise compared to s1
>weaker writing/story
>too many characters to remain focused
>weaker cast
>directing wasn't on par (too many pointless repetitive aerial shots for example).
Oh, and the theme song in s2 was garbage.

the first thing I watched when i got HBO. Why can't season 2 be better.

>MUH OCCULT CONSPIRACY

Youre to dumb for s2.

whatever you say pleb

>why can't season 2 be better
because it's as good as it gets

Casperw knew this. Also, checked.

fuck man, even the music was perfect.

Wish I had watched with Sup Forums when it aired.

>skip bad parts in bad tv shows
>felt bad even skipping the intro song in true detective

I like the ending.

That's pretty much the only redeeming thing about tv shows though; the gradual character development. But honestly if you're only watching a movie for character development then you're a pleb and probably have shit taste.

it was great.

>being this shallow

The Ozarks, Arkansas. Louisiana was where Rust undercovered in the initial treatment and pilot. there were flashbacks to his drug days and a scene that portrays why the Louisiana PD took him out of that work. he murdered some junkie while high and they covered it up.

I think season 2 is underrated

Not that I know of. GOAT