Why WW1 is ignored by Hollywood?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/0gyyGHHXfck
m.youtube.com/watch?v=kUox_hQAih8
indianajones.wikia.com/wiki/World_War_I
missedinhistory.com/podcasts/the-harlem-hellfighters-and-henry-johnson.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Because no 6 billion

Because no one wants to talk about WW1. No one understands it, even the countries involved.

Because no 6 million died

because ((((hollywood))))

Because it isn't as romantic as WW2.

No clear bad guy.

>No one understands it
t. burger

Because they have to deal with maintaining a standing army.

In what way

If only the Kaiser had won... The world would be a very different place right now

>No one understands it, even the countries involved.

Because America didn't do shit in it.

So you have to fall back on Brits, but even they didn't do that much. To make it realistic you'd have to make the cheese-eating surrender monkeys the heroes, and who wants to see that shit?

good bait

these
no one really won either

It was boring as fuck.
A buncha guys sitting in trenches and occasionally jumping up and getting shot.

Most of the fighting was done in trenches, which isn't flashy enough for hollywood standards.
Politics involved were complex, most of the audience wouldn't understand who are fighting and why. It isn't like WW2 where Nazis=evils Allies=good.
WW1 simply isn't a movie-like war, it would be too depressing, slow and complex.
Meanwhile WW2 was made for hollywood.

Because it was a complicated mess full of human tragedy on both sides, perpetuated by a montrous inhuman system more interested in selling weapons than making peace. There were no good guys and bad guys. There was no good vs evil, excepting the good of everyday people vs the evil of their governments. There were no grand heroes, only acts of humanity and small moments of defiance.

It was messy and muddy and bloody and pointless. Grey skies without a silver lining, bitter with no sweetness, and depressing without end. It can't be prettied up, or simplified or rebranded. It can't be commodified for sentimental, motional manipulation and an easy profit.

So Hollywood has not use for it.

>Why WW1 is ignored by Hollywood?

Too depressing, shitty technology and tactics, no clear black and white bad guys

Was literally impossible for him to win.

oy vey how dare you suggest we ignore tha holocaust you stupid goy

>There were no good guys and bad guys.

This fucking meme...

Imperial Germany wasn't a white-supremacist society like Nazi Germany

If we need a "war is hell, countries various elites use war as a means to an end and the individual soldiers get fucked over in the end" movie we can just use Vietnam or Iraq as a setting

>Meanwhile WW2 was made for hollywood.

Said it right there because the bad guy is usually the good guy in reality

>but even they didn't do that much

Nice bait.

No, it was a German supremacist society, just like Nazi Germany. Only Americans ever cared about "whiteness".

They did, but they played a supporting role to France.

This.

Even though this was almost 80 years ago. This was the de facto battle of good vs evil of our time, maybe of all time. You look at what Hitler wanted and tried to accomplish and what he did accomplish and you really can't find anything that comes close to the scale of it. Sure there's plenty of other dictators and tyrants but none of them had anything close to the German war machine Hitler had that was poised to take over the world.

its just a big depressing political mess with senseless massacre that doesn't really produce any "good"
you can easily apply a good/bad narrative to WW2

pretty much this.

all in all it was just retarded european pissing contest #8574939.

>who wants to see that
Kubrick I suppose.
youtu.be/0gyyGHHXfck

Most compelling WW1 movie to date that it is really.
And really, you should be weeping with gratitude that the Hollywoods from nowadays doesn't drip its fingers there, for I can't imagine how they'd disfigure into another bland "akshyun movie :DDD" to please ADD americans (i.e. BF1 game where everyone is gleefully galloping around the battlefield), when the whole horror to WW1 is how tension-filled it was. Knowing that 80% of the casualties endured on the western front was from random shelling, could you even bear waiting in the same unhygienic trench weeks on end, knowing you could die at any instant by some stray shell. No wonder few of the soldiers could ever defeat their stress when the war ended.

you don't fully understand the war desu

britain and france were equally important

It could make for a really good black comedy. Like Dr. Strangelove meets all quiet...

Yeah but that was a while ago. Everything from Hollywood about WW1 since has been about Anglos, and there hasn't been that much.

I hear Verdun is a pretty good game with a more realistic depiction of trench warfare though.

I wouldn't call it a meme, ww2 literally two very new opposing camps set up in europe while ww1 you have shadows of decaying empires, waning attitudes on imperialism, and armies at multiple times utterly left in the dust when it comes to fighting tactics][=

Heroes on both sides!

That's pretty controversial calling Hitler good like that.

I guess i can see where you're coming from tho.

No real bad guy.
Burgers cant into gray morality.

They even felt the need to dress the WW1 soldiers in Wonderwoman like Waffen-SS to drive the point home.

Not in the actual combat, no, there the war was overwhelmingly carried by France. Britain's main contribution is the blockade and shit.

Because if done correctly, a WW1 movie would convince everyone that the Germans were justified in WWII.

(((Hollywood)))

>literally more Brits involved in WW1 than French
>b-b-but supporting role

As I said, nice bait.

>french cucks actually believe they would have withheld the German Spring Offensive without the Commonwealth forces

Top fucking kek

>not 6 trillion
Fucking anti semite

>Hitler had that was poised to take over the world.
No. Not even close. He picked a fight with fucking russia that would have won the war alone by virtue out out producing the germans at a rediculously uneven ratio.

this and also trench warfare isn't as exciting

also the good ww1 movies are the ones about air battles

>you really can't find anything that comes close to the scale of it

Sure you can. Right after World War 2 there was the Cold War. That was literally a conflict for ideological supremacy of the Earth and could have ended far worse with the proliferation of nuclear weaponry.

Also, the policies of Stalin and Mao, whether by design or just by outcome, were far fucking worse than the Holocaust.

Too much nuance for a Hollywood movie

frances military deaths were only 50% higher, thats not overwhelming

and britain basically bankrolled the entire war in the west, you're oversimplifying

without britains forces on the ground france would have been crushed in a year or two

Yeah but it's a meme that nobody was the bad guy in WW1. Germany was pretty fucking clearly the bad guy. They started the war (as in turned a Balkan conflict between Austria and Russia into a world war by chimping out at France), they illegally invaded neutral Belgium, they mass executed tens of thousands of innocent civilians in Belgium, they destroyed historical buildings and artefacts in France and Belgium for no strategic reason, they introduced the use of mustard gas and flamethrowers... and they did all this with the exact same racial supremacy rhetoric that they used in WW2.

If anything they were less in the wrong in WW2 since they were trying to get back German-populated areas, not just Lebensraum like in WW1.

If the Schlieffen plan had worked, it would have been a German victory.

If the Austrians had done slightly better against the Serbs right off the bat and had not been bogged down there for a year.

As a Brit I want to agree with you but it's impossible to humour given the bulk of the fighting on the Western front was in France.

Those figures don't account for the civilian influence on the war and their sacrifice.

Anyway it's just Amerifag bait wanting to play Britain down like all the WW2 threads. Ofcourse it doesn't translate at all to WW1 but why take it anyway.

How is it a meme? Who was the hero of ww1?

Yeah those Camo helmet covers that German soldiers wear in the Wonder Woman trailers are very Waffen SS-esque

He's probably secluding what he's saying to the western front, where the french garrisoned 800 kilometers of the 950 one frontline.
Otherwise, globally the British had as much on their hands as the french, what with the blockade and Suez and Kut, etc...
Regardless though, that number you're pointing to is dishonest, since I can imagine that 4 million of those were men levied in India.

Because the Hollywood renaissance occurred in the 1970's, back when WWII was a a fresher wound and if you just said "The War" people would know what you were talking about.

That plan relied on steamrolling Belgium, which didn't happen. It also relied heavily on Britain not honouring the pact.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=kUox_hQAih8

no one

who do you think the hero was?

Doesn't portray the jews as good guys victimized by the bad white guys

Because paths of glory already exists. Why try to fuck with perfection.

Boy Mao was fucking retarded when it came to his actual governing policies
>guys let's destroy sparrows when they've been in China for millennia
>no sparrows to eat agriculture destroying bugs causing famine
Make me wonder why people sometimes want strongman dictators when individual people can have retarded ideas and if left unchecked milllions can die

You can't have some boohoo oh the poor jew oppression by the krauts in ww1

>involved
lol what the fuck does that mean, just that British troops got more off-duty time probably.

France had twice as many casualties as Britain. But look at what actually mattered in the war:

- the First Battle of the Marne, which stopped the initial German invasion:
39 French divisions, 6 British divisions

- the Battle of Verdun, the largest battle in the war which became its symbol and the biggest morale blow to Germany:
only French troops

- the Second Battle of the Marne, which broke the German Spring Offensive and launched the counter-offensive that won the war:
44 French divisions, 8 American divisions, 4 British divisions, 2 Italian divisions

Even the Somme, which is THE battle for Britain and which everyone always associates with Britain, in fact involved as many French troops as British.

But it isn't dishonest. The numbers on that page at all total French forces just as they're all total British forces.

This always happens, people go "b-b-but those don't count! Only people from this country count!". It's the most fair as it includes the TOTAL forces deployed. The next tactic is for "b-b-but on THIS PARTICULAR PIECE OF LAND THE FRENCH HAD MORE SO HA HAH HA HAH!".

It's not dishonest to link the total number of ALL factions together. It is actually 100% dishonest to start dissecting the WORLD WAR into specific parts to go "achtually..."

He didn't say the Western front, he said the war.

this

>Germany mobilized 13 million men
Holy shit

Because America was only in it for the last 6 months.

See

last man standing. Harry Patch.

>WarIsOrganisedMurderAndNothingElse.jpg

Yes because all the fighting was just the Western front! Ignore Africa and the Pacific and Turkey and Balkans and Mesopotamia and so on!

Ah very good point actually. Small minded of me.

Yeah to be honest, the main enemy was Germany, the Ottoman Empire was pretty irrelevant at that point.

The thing is, even at that time, the Chinese leadership was comprised of more than just Mao. And at almost every turn where something awful like that happened, most of them were begging him to reconsider.

There was this whole debate in regards to agriculture of "collectivization vs. modernization". Pretty much everyone wanted to adopt Western methods and technology to produce output, before collectivizing the system. Mao disagreed and it's one of the reasons 40 million Chinese died - including the Four Pests Campaign that you mentioned with sparrows.

>individual people can have retarded ideas and if left unchecked milllions can die
I think he even realized something to that effect, and spread out his ruling to other parts of the CCP before his death.

This^, they barely withstood it with both British Commonwealth AND American forces helping them as it was

Verdun is awesome

Not him, but linking certain battles as proof is dishonest.

Otherwise I can link Passchendaele as proof of the opposite. As that was majority British with French support.

The British did more than the French in the First WORLD War. In the Western Front? Obviously. France is right there. In terms of the WORLD? Nope.

This

Germany was really fucking big at the time and was increasingly desperate to win on both fronts, it mobilized everyone.

I'm not saying the British didn't do anything, I'm saying if WW1 had a protagonist on the Entente side it would be France.

Claiming the British did more is full on delusion.

The Western front is by far the most important part of WW1 m8. Britain taking the opportunity to grab some colonies from the Turks hardly changed its course.

It's the perfect era to legitimately criticize and make fun of old white men. WW1 commanders were notoriously out of their depth and continually tried to fight the war as if it was the 19th century. Millions of lives were lost to incompetence and a lack of supply instead of in major battles. Major battles occurred at strategically inept areas for little to no advantage at all. Reading the journals or listening to the minutes of British Officer meetings during WW1 shows just how far up their own asses these guys actually were.

Holy shit I've been looking for this movie for 15 years, I've even forgotten that I was searching it, from the bottom of my heart thank you so much

Because the burgers only showed up for the last five months and it's pretty hard to make a slew of movies about that, even by Hollywood standards of truth-stretching.

fpbp once again

>it's a every country was taught they did the most in X war and so they autismally defend that position on Sup Forums episode

>you should be weeping with gratitude that the Hollywoods from nowadays doesn't drip its fingers there, for I can't imagine how they'd disfigure into another bland "akshyun movie :DDD" to please ADD americans

you were saying?

no one ever claims Brazil was relevant in WW2

>No film about world war zero

I wish the Hindenburg,Moltke and the Kasier would be summoned to gang bang her

Why are high budget movies allowed to look so fucking shit

because nerds and comic book "fans" (who never read one) will pay to see them, even pre ordering tickets

The new Wonder Woman movie is set during World War 1. That film about The Little Princess was also set during World War 1. Oh, and I think James Franco was in a movie about World War 1, I think he flew a fighter plane. Yeah, I just checked with google, the movie is called Flyboys. Wasn't there like an Indian Jones movie or series set in World War 1? Checked with google again, and there was something about Indiana Jones fighting in the first World War: indianajones.wikia.com/wiki/World_War_I

Anyway, I just listened to this episode of Stuff You Missed In History Class recently, sounds cool and like something that should be made into a movie: missedinhistory.com/podcasts/the-harlem-hellfighters-and-henry-johnson.htm Hollywood can do the film about the military unit fighting in France, then follow them back home and how they were treated by America and stuff. I don't know. Also, they won a lot of medals as an American military unit fighting for the French.

No Americans in it until the end.

Even suggesting people to watch Wonder Woman superhero shit just to see something take place in WW1 is disgusting

There was some unbelievable incompetence by commanders during that war.
There were generals who basically doomed entire operations because they personally hated other generals they had to work with and would rather watch them fail than help.