/who/ - Doctor Who General

Baby slitheen edition

Last thread

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=VviyEXIXhoY
youtube.com/watch?v=JgXdmTyfFzY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Thanks for this, Gareth.

Good story. Too bad half of the idiots here won't even know where this is from.
Gareth was GOAT on SJA.

I'd rather have a Slitheen as the Doctor than Hayley Hackwell.

Gareth's a racist, sexist, misogynistic pig.

Nyssa a qt

Good. He should have been the next showrunner.

I really don't want a female doctor. If I wanted one just to see Haley Atwell I'd watch that show she was in. The Doctor's a man. It's not called 'Nurse Who'. Fuck the faggots who think it's a good idea. It would get good ratings for a couple of episodes because people would be curious to see it, but it would sink fast.

No that's Cloister

Hayley a shit

You got it. Fuck these guys.

You can pretend you want to see her acting first, but we all know you want her to have a wank.

Silly user, companions are for the wanking.

I genuinely believe a female Doctor would be a terrible idea and would kill the show faster than any other change would.

Once the Doctor is female it opens a whole new can of worms. They'll then want a Muslim female (complete with burka), then a transvestite, then a gender fluid fairykin.

GallifreyBase has also gone to shit. I see people unironically spout shit like 'I don't want another white cis male'

Then why do you like the show in the first place when every actor has been exactly that thus far? Fuck off and go watch some other show.

Doctor who is fucking garbage.
It can tell any story in all of time and space and it always ends up a shitty looking celebration of mediocrity.
It's a predictable, safe formulaic children's show where the Le wacky man saves the day with some 'witty' banter and a 'clever' scheme.
The Doctor never goes anywhere in his development, just going from dark to light or dark to light depending on the incarnation.
It has no love for science or history, it just boils everything down for lowest common denominator. It's a waste of time and effort,
why don't you losers mature and watch some grown up television for a change.
You shouldn't watch doctor who unless it's with your own children but I really don't want you plebs procreating.

Are they, mongo?

It doesn't matter at this point, the show has been losing momentum since Tennant left
Capalidi is the new....6? I guess, next one will probably be last then cancellation again.

Its all some of them were good for...

Ooooooh he's reeeeeeing now, good :^)

Capaldi is already killing the show just by being old.

Which is a tragedy.

user what
Basic human interaction here, all I said was some of them, maybe 2 or 3, were terrible characters whose only redeeming features were their sexual characteristics. Your response doesn't really refute that.

Deflecting now, mongo?

Ah, you hornswoggled me good there. The "pithy short troll bait replies" thing. No more replies for you little fellow.

Try something different and it makes normies reee which is why he was fired

This is right. I was gonna say it but didn't want the backlash.
Doctor Who has DECLINED IN POPULARITY since Capaldi took over. I love Capaldi; I hate his writing. Regardless of which of those two factors caused it, something is obviously wrong, and the Doctor becoming a woman would not ruin the show — it's already on its decline.

Just don't make it a fucking ugly woman. I hate ugly women.

Just ignore that crazy user, he seems to have reached some sort of tipping point triggered by Hayleyposting and is now suffering a full-on mental break.

>you

>Try something different
I get where you are coming from, it is different for the new series, but I viewed Capaldi coming in as a return to form, an attempt (if it weren't shot in the foot from the off from terrible writing) to bring in some old-Who charm.

It obviously hasn't worked. Poor Capaldi, he deserved far better than this, hasn't been an actor playing the Doctor this badly wasted in a long time.

>talking to yourself

yeah that's what I meant, casuals are only used to seeing a young doctor so they spat at Capaldi for being OOOLLLLD

Hi cats!

I taught you good.

Nu-who's biggest mistake was relying too much on pretty boy (well...10, 11 not so much) Doctors to bring in audiences and not good writing and stories.
When there isn't a pretty boy Doctor, there isn't anything left.

A woman becoming the Doctor would make no difference, casuals would flock to it like flies on shit for a while sure, then it would wane, the writing would still be atrocious, possibly even more so...

I really want things to get better, to improve but I am not seeing it.

>to bring in some old-Who charm.
He did.

I'm sorry if it seemed as though I was implying otherwise, I have only respect for Capaldi, he did the best he could with what he was given and I agree, he did bring in some old-Who charm.

What I was hoping to convey was that despite that, it was lost on the majority of the nu-Who audience.

Just when you thought the Series 10 hair game was gonna be top they go and cast Matt Lucas.

When?

why is pearl doing the dreamworks face

GREAT Gareth story! BAFTA worthy, I may say.

And I love Gareth's new Twitter picture - VERY SEXY!!!

So broadchurch 3 starts on February 27th. Chibnall should be working on Who now yes?

No, he specifically said he was taking a holiday. Even though filming finished months ago.

His writers room should be working on scripts already though. Hes already given them a rough outline of what he wants for Series 11

Gareth would never let us down like this. Makes you wonder why they hired Chibnall and not someone like Gareth, Mathieson, Phil Ford, or Harness.

It's almost as if they want the show to die.

That's exactly what they want.

NuWho will be cancelled in 2020 and end with a movie directed by David Yates this has been in development since 2015. The show will live on the the Doctor Who theme park the BBC are creating.

>The Doctor's a man. It's not called 'Nurse Who'.

I stuck with the show through seasons 23 and 24, so I'm obviously an idiot, but I still think I can see a huge gap in your logic.

Anyone but pretty boy Tennant would get Capaldi ratings. Pretty girl Hayley would get a short boost, but quickly decline back to the Capaldi ratings. that anyone other than Tennant would get.

That sounds like an argument for Hayley, not against her. Isn't half a season of 10M viewers and then back down to 6M better than starting at 6M and staying there?

And if, by some miracle, Chibnalls turns out to be a great showrunner, it'll be a lot easier to convert that short-term boost than to create one out of nothing.

>Makes you wonder why they hired Chibnall and not someone like Gareth, Mathieson, Phil Ford, or Harness.
Mathieson has turned down a showrunner job because he doesn't want to be a producer and doesn't know how, and instead took a lead writer/script editor job for a show in France. Why would you offer him the showrunner job for Doctor Who?

I know it isnt much related to /who/, but is pic related mentally retarded?
It's not very clear when you see his face, but his hands are... abnormal. They are giant, and fingers are fat as fuck. I read that such physical abnormalities may indicate Moron.

literally who?

>His writers room
Has there been any news since the summer, when Chibnalls called the WGGB to ask about whether he could do an American-style writers room in the UK? Has he actually hired people and negotiated the guild contracts and set up the workspace, without any announcements from anyone?

Meanwhile, you can't just give a room full of them a rough outline and tell them to start working on scripts, unless you want to come back a month later and find that they've come up with some cool ideas that don't fit together and a bunch of good jokes for three silly scenes. The lead writer has to be there to lead the sessions, pick out which ideas should be turned into episodes, assign them to specific writers, deal with everyone bitching about why did Mike get the assignment for this episode when his idea is just the B-story and I came up with the A-story, etc.

Nope. There's been no news except Chibnall saying he hasn't done anything yet and is "taking a holiday" before he starts. Series 11 sure sounds great! They hired someone who sounds like he doesn't even want to work on the show.

But only harness is the only alternative there that's done their own show.

>Capaldi: Hey Chris its Peter, just calling to see what you got cooking for Series 11. Haven't made a final decision yet. Considering staying but would like to see what you got planned.
>Chibnall: Uhhh I haven't really done anything yet. But I'd love you to stay!
>Capaldi: Oh..

Imagine you were chosen instead of Chibnall.

What would be your plan to shake up the show?

Do you cast a new Doctor?
What's your first series' arc?
Do you want the series to be CURRENT YEAR and if so, how?
Who would you realistically have as writers?
Would you replace Murray Gold?

Bonus question: what's a change you'd do that could actually be divisive?

>They hired someone who sounds like he doesn't even want to work on the show.
Just like JNT!
Will he use the BBC's money to take advantage of location filming to go on holidays?

>What would be your plan to shake up the show?
Move toward an American model, but cautiously. Lead writer, staff writers, but most of the scripts are written by me, the lead writer, an outside "name" writer, or someone who's written for the show before; maybe the staff gets to do one or two. They're there to work over the scripts so I don't have to be RTD doing it all in my head.

This also means we can bring in people with little or no TV experience to pitch an idea, with the understanding that we may commission someone else to write it from his outline and only give him story credit. So we can take a chance on, say, Lance Parkin or Lloyd Rose.

>new Doctor?
Yes. And Hayley would be on my short list. The scripts would never make a big deal out of the fact that she's a woman, but of course the publicity will.

>first series arc?
None. Of course there's character development, but you're talking a modern sci-fi story arc, and Doctor Who doesn't need one.

>CURRENT YEAR
Neither of my two companions will be present-day Earth people, so "current year" isn't relevant, but sure, if they visit early 21st century London, it'd probably be 2018, not 2025 or 2009 or something (as with Romana, Turlough, etc.).

>writers?
Mathieson would be a great lead writer. The staff writers would of course be a bunch of young wannabes that he and I think have talent. The outside writers who do most of the episodes the first year…not too different from Moffat's list, actually, but (unless Rona's episode this year is terrible) I'd try to get a few more classic writers. What's Cartmel up to? Is Boucher still healthy enough to write? Also see above about Parkin, Rose, etc.

>Murray Gold
Keep him for at least year one.

>divisive?
Most of the above.

>Keep him for at least year one.
But he has to include the middle eight in his new theme version. And in general, it should feel more like a cross between series 1 and season 26 more like an evolution of series 9.

Anyone else think its really cheesy whenever they point the sonic screwdriver in a publicity shot or something? It's not a weapon, its just a tool that should be used sparingly

Why do people keep giving Marigold shit? He's gotten better especially since Capaldi came on. The music feels like it accompanies scenes more than being intrusive.

Agreed. Smith Era music was the worst. I am the doctor fucking everywhere. I remember being really annoyed when they used it at the end of the 50th, really took me out of the scene.

Because the only stand out track is Twelve's theme and some of the music from Heaven Sent. And the 9th Doctor/Bad wolf them reprise in Hell Bent.

>music is more subtle
>AHHH IT'S BORING, NOTHING STANDS OUT MARIGOLD OUT
>music is loud and emotive but memorable
>AHHH IT'S TOO INTRUSIVE AND CORNY MARIGOLD OUT

Gold is shit tier. Accept it.

>Just don't make it a fucking ugly woman. I hate ugly women.

You're as loathsome as the shallow obnoxious Tennant fangirls /who/ likes to ridicule. Actually your misogyny makes you even worse.

I feel like alot of Marigold was the exec's choice though
For example, Into the Dalek: youtube.com/watch?v=VviyEXIXhoY
If it was the RTD era/early Moff they'd have gone for something more loud and EMOTIONAL

>misogyny
>>tumblr

ba ba ba ba ba ba ba

>What would be your plan to shake up the show?
Complete rebrand i.e. Logo, theme, TARDIS interior, no Daleks, better promotion, change to the overall tone etc. Female Doctor, American male companion and later introduce a second, female, companion. Probably British - you know how people like to moan!

>Do you cast a new Doctor?
I'd cast Hayley Atwell as the Doctor. I'm not memeing, she's been my choice for months!

>What's your first series' arc?
The series would be 8x 1 hour episodes. Not entirely sure about a story arc though. It doesn't really need one - maybe just a couple of name drops and hints in the run up to the finale.

>Do you want the series to be CURRENT YEAR and if so, how?
Male companion would come from early 20th Century New York. Maybe 1930s ish... I'd like to have a 2 part Noir story somewhere in the series.

>Who would you realistically have as writers?
I'd keep hold of Whithouse and Mathieson. Maybe Dollard too and I'd like Charlie Brooker and maybe even Reece Shearsmith and Steve Pemberton. And of course myself. The entire team would work together to develop the stories so each one would be co-written.

>Would you replace Murray Gold?
Yes. Not sure who with though.

>What's a change you'd do that could actually be divisive?
Most of that

Series break down would be something like:
- Episode 1 - Introducing Hayley's Doctor. She lands just outside of New York in the 1930s. Not sure what the story would be but it's not my 'noir film'. Also introduces the companion.
- Episode 2 - A trip into outer space
- Episode 3 - More space
- Episode 4 (Part One) - Noir episode. Companion wants to pop back home for whatever reason and at the same time there is something else going on - I don't know what, I haven't really thought it through. Introduces the second companion.
- Episode 5 (Part Two) - Noir episode. Second companion joins the TARDIS at the end
- Episode 6 - Ancient World episode
- Episode 7 (Part One) - Set in space. Cliffhanger sees return of the Mondasian Cybermen with a gruesome updated look
- Episode 8 (Part Two) - Finale. Cybermen defeated. Love a happy ending - off in space and time for more adventures!
- Obligatory Christmas special

Cristobal Tapia de Veer is my no 1 composer choice based on the Dirk Gently soundtrack. It's weird, emotional and electronic. I posted it recently but it's actually relevant youtube.com/watch?v=JgXdmTyfFzY

we need more "bad future" episodes tbqh

It's not just the ratings. Audience Appreciation has been significantly lower from day one of the Capaldi era.

They literally said they hate women, that's the definition of misogyny.

Why can't people dislike things? If someone wants to hate something, let them. It's not like he said he wants to kill them all.

What other forms of prejudice do you deny the existence of. Racism, ableism, misandry?

I know it exists, I just don't think it matters unless people are acting out on it. It's like wrong-think. Communism-tier.

people (like ITT) keep going "uhhuhhh bad writing... bad writing..." without backing up their claim
and then when they try to they just go "uhhuhh muh clara... muh clara"

Oh, it's you again

>Yes. And Hayley would be on my short list.
wtf is wrong with you people?

explain how he's wrong.

>I haven't really thought it through
good, don't waste anymore time

No

I'm pretty sure most/all racists, sexists, homophobes etc. act on their prejudices all the time. Do you really need examples?

I don't have a full episode breakdown like the other user, but here's my companion sketch:

Hayley starts off with Nardole and Bill (assuming that's how Moffat leaves Capaldi). In episode 1 or 2, a new companion joins, a "future action guy" a la Steven Taylor, but with a personality a bit more like Fitz.

Bill does a Nyssa and stays behind to help the future colony.

A few episodes later, they're somewhere in the past—maybe the last real town in the collapsing Pueblo civilisation in 12th century America. The Doctor fails to save the day, but she does rescue the last Teller of History and his granddaughter. The old guy stays behind at a future university an episode later, but granddaughter sticks around. She's more Erimem than Victoria or Katarina (although she was just training to be Keeper of History for an Anasazi town, not Pharaoh of Egypt).

Nardole also leaves somewhere in there.

StevenFitz and KatarinaErimem can have the obligatory romance, so we don't need to shoehorn one in for the Doctor.

During the two-part finale, which takes place in a late-21st-century future somewhere between Transit, Snow Crash, and the show Incorporated, the obviously-doomed potential companion RozLeela actually survives and joins the TARDIS. She's a private cop who, despite having a good heart, grew up in a crapsack world and doesn't value human life the way the Doctor thinks she should.

StevenFitz and Granddaughter will leave early next season, and it'll be just Doctor Hayley and RozLeela in the TARDIS for much of the year. The companion will get the kind of one-off romances that Tennant got in his last 3 years, so again, the Doctor doesn't have to.

So the ratings and AI scores are down because most Doctor Who viewers are ageist cunts?

>hasn't been an actor playing the Doctor this badly wasted in a long time.
>who is Matt Smith

>It's not just the ratings. Audience Appreciation has been significantly lower from day one of the Capaldi era.
And how does that change any of the points you're responding to?

Capaldi is a much better actor than Matt, and Matt played the exact sort of Doctor he's best equipped to play so I don't see how that was a waste

thanks m8

its late haha. I hate my ideas already

Oh, God, I didn't even mean it when I said that I hate ugly women. I was just grossed out at the prospect of having to watch an ugly woman for three or four years on my favorite show. Are you seriously comparing me to a Nazi sympathizer just because I said that?

>Noir episode… Introduces the second companion.
Is he a whifferdill named Frobisher?

If so, you're hired immediately.

THIS. Matt Smith (a decent actor) should be grateful that he was plucked from obscurity in the first place.

It was a waste because he had one good series and then two shit ones. His era is forgettable.
I don't see what Capaldi being a better actor has to do with Matt being wasted.

The lower AI scores (which began IMMEDIATELY with Deep Breath and have continued with a much more lightened up 12 in series 9) show that it's something about Capaldi that the audience doesn't like as much as Tennant and Smith. *cough* ageism *cough*