We can all agree that the magic in Harry Potter is shit and the series is full of deus ex machina and bad writing

We can all agree that the magic in Harry Potter is shit and the series is full of deus ex machina and bad writing.

But you have to admit that Dumbledore would absolutely destroy Gandalf.

Destroy him in what? Boxing? The metaphysics aren't the same so you can't square them off in terms of magic ability.

If Dumbledore attacked Gandalf then Gandalf would be allowed to go full power like he did with the Balrog and probably level Hogwarts

gandalf would start giving a wise speech or something and then dumbledore would instantly kill him by flicking his wand. doesn't even have to utter the words "avada kedavra"

in boxing gandalf would probably win

Fuck off to /tg/ numale.

Continue memeing like a complete waste of space. The HP films have more going on than LOTR.
Objecitvely wrong. Like a typical neckbeard autist. Dumbledore would wreck his shit.

Dumbledore is a human wizard

Gandalf is an immortal angel

Incomparable. Dumbledore couldn't defeat Gandalf, because Gandalf isn't mortal. Gandalf is closer to a demigod than a mortal, and isn't defeatable in any sort of sense of the word that would be meaningful to Dumbledore.

the most gandalf did was swat away the balrog's whip as they climbed forever up to the top of a mountain.

dumbledore actually knows how to use magic. he would just drown gandalf in some floating water sphere or something

They're both fags lol

>doesn't even have to utter the words "avada kedavra"
When does he ever do that? Dumbledore wasn't playing continental mind chess with an overlord for hundreds of years and only operated in one shitty island country.
Man, you clearly need detox from Sup Forums memes

They'd probably be too busy sucking each other's dicks

>prescription eyewear makes you a numale

Gandalf vs Palpatine

Who wins?

Either Palpatine wins or Gandalf has to give in to his hate to kill him.
So either way, the Dark Side.

Gandalf was forbidden by the Valar from using too much of his powers to influence the world

They'd probably just fuck instead.

Gandalf the Grey or Gandalf the White?

>Dumbledore can create firestorms and teleport
>Gandalf can light pinecones on fire and beg the eagles for a ride

>Gandalf walks up to Dumbledore blocking his shit spells
>stabs him in the chest with his sword

done and done

No but we can all agree your an idiot

Gandalf is infinitely smarter than Dumbledore. If there was going to be a confrontation between them (and there wouldn't be, G would manipulate D into doing what he wanted him to do), G would predict it beforehand and deal with D before he even knew it was going to happen.

Who the fuck even watches Lord of the rings?

>Calls someone an idiot
>Uses possessive pronoun, instead of "you are" or the contraction "you're"

lol
this
if gandalf uses one or more of the elven rings then he has a chance againsts dumbledore but other than the rings what we've seen and read of maiar magic is very limited in how they are used. the valar's greatest feat is shaping and building and singing something into existence. but in battle the valar and maiar used swordfight, stafffight or fierywhipfight.

>gets tricked by saruman

smart. not.

but from what i've read about the elven rings they weren't created to be weapons but to preserve and maintain the elven kingdoms in the physical plane in middle earth so they probably wouldn't be much of a help to gandalf against dumbledore.

Dumbledore is based off gandalf.

Anyway, gandalf is a literal angel a human really good at magic would have no chance.

>implying men haven't buttfucked maiar
>implying sauron didn't surrender decide to use trickery because he knew he couldn't defeat men in battle

Stop embarrassing yourself, legbeard.

Gandalf feats by HP standars:
Gandalf resurrected himself and he was better than before not a zombie.
Gandalf uses magic with and without wand, staff and words.
He detected and then release a person under a imperius curse, that is stated that no one on HP world could detect.
When magic fails, he's an able swordsman DUAL wield.

Ar Pharazon was not just any man he was one of the most powerful of the Numenoreans and was I believe the first and last man capable in the second age of defeating and humiliating Sauron in 1v1 combat so even though he fucked up by trying to invade Valinor many of the survivors viewed him with a begrudging respect because of this and they had even erected a monument to him that was later destroyed. And he being the most powerful in a line that descended from Elros, Earendil's human son and says a lot.

>Gandalf uses magic with and without wand, staff and words.

i'm genuinely curious where. the only magic-like instance i can remember is:

shine burst of light on king to release him from possession

make his wand shine a light (although it also looked like it was the sun rising that blinded the orcs)

talk to butterflies and ask them to call for an eagle

whistle for his horse

>no man can fight angels
>no no no don't count that man because this and because that
>implying dumbledore is an ordinary street sweeper

The fact he is a man says a lot, legbeard.

>make his wand shine a light (although it also looked like it was the sun rising that blinded the orcs)

oh, now i remember he also made his wand shine a light during that dragon scene so he can magically use his wand as a spotlight.

he isnt allowed to go full ape mode in the world of man

only gently nudge them in the right direction

gandalf is an allegory god yo

>he isnt allowed to go full ape mode in the world of man

Where in the books and in the films does it say that he is not allowed? Nowhere.

And i noticed no examples of him using magic in your post. So other than those mentioned in that's the extent of his magic then? Sad.

>Gandalf resurrected himself and he was better than before not a zombie.

Gandalf was resurrected by Eru Iluvatar. Gandalf literally has god on his side, so fuck Dumbledore.

It's not Gandalf+Eru vs Dumbledore. Idiot.

Well Gandalf did tangle with a fucking Balrog for months even before becoming the White. He's pretty fucking badass. What did Dumbledore ever do that was comparable?

This.

Once Gandalf takes off that limiter, it gets fucky.

Nice buzzwords. If you're an adult and you don't understand the time travel dynamics in the film you have failed basic reasoning.

He was brought back by Manwe, not Eru. When a Maia dies they linger houseless until they're given a new body.

Gandalf has a limiter. Wrong.

To add, that's exactly what happens to Sauron after the ring is destroyed. He's just dark mist floating around over Mordor and he's cut off from the Ainur so he'll never get a new body.

dumblodore would have defeated two balrogs within minutes not months with any of the spells available to him. for fun and highjinks, he could teleport on top of balrogs' heads and impale their skulls with the sword of gryfindor and pour vinegar and basilisk venom on their wounds instead of flailing a staff around trying to avoid a fiery whip.

When does he do even a fraction of that?

>Harry Potter
>Bad writing
Wew lad

/thread

Gandalf defeated an army of urukhai, nazgul, a dark wizard, and a maia

Dumbledore was killed by an edgy high school teenager with daddy issues

in a "whos the bigger faggot competition"?

Actually I think we can all agree that Harry Potter is one of the dullest franchise in the history of movie franchises. Each episode following the boy wizard and his pals from Hogwarts Academy as they fight assorted villains has been indistinguishable from the others. Aside from the gloomy imagery, the series’ only consistency has been its lack of excitement and ineffective use of special effects, all to make magic unmagical, to make action seem inert.

Perhaps the die was cast when Rowling vetoed the idea of Spielberg directing the series; she made sure the series would never be mistaken for a work of art that meant anything to anybody?just ridiculously profitable cross-promotion for her books. The Harry Potter series might be anti-Christian (or not), but it’s certainly the anti-James Bond series in its refusal of wonder, beauty and excitement. No one wants to face that fact. Now, thankfully, they no longer have to.

>a-at least the books were good though r-right
"No!"
The writing is dreadful; the book was terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time a character went for a walk, the author wrote instead that the character "stretched his legs."

I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Rowling's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that she has no other style of writing. Later I read a lavish, loving review of Harry Potter by the same Stephen King. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are reading Harry Potter at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to read Stephen King." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you read "Harry Potter" you are, in fact, trained to read Stephen King.

Galdalf wins simply because LotR is better written by a brilliant academic and intellectual who even had tough life experiences serving during a world war while the other was some welfare queen who cooked up some dreary garbage while living on tax payers money and now spends her time posting like a liberal college bimbo on Twitter.

>implying dumbledore hasn't teleported several times
>implying dumbledore does not have access to gryfindor sword and basilisk venom

he does 100% of teleporting and finding getting gryfindor sword and basilisk venom, you imbecile incapable of using your brain if such a brain does exist

gandalf wins because the second dumbledore tries to do a killing spell he gets hauled off to azkaban

too bad that has literally no basis on who would win

ayyyyyyayay
lol

the silmarillion in a chapter titled something along the lines of 'of wizards/istari', it's stated that the six wizards in the world were sent to the world only to influence people to do right, not to force them with any magical means. saruman being a backslider uses magically enchanted words to coerce people into doing his bidding, acting as the proverbial snake by exploiting 'free will' in his own way aided by magic.

for some reason i pictured gandalf making the goofy scream as he's being hauled off

aaahhhoooohooooiieeeeeeee

There's no "only" in the text just to guide and help no limitation on how they can help, altnewsmaker.

Within worldly means. Gandalf happened to have the Narya so he was able to magically boost morale without breaking any rules.

How is Lord of the rings for nu-males?

Again there's no "only" and no "within wordly means" or any other text that says "within worldly means" or "do not use your full power" or any other wording that says he's not to use his full power. You're just making this "limitation" up with no basis in the novels and movies.

he hates lotr so he calls lotr fans nu-males. that is how it works.

>Continue memeing like a complete waste of space. The HP films have more going on than LOTR.

hahahahahaha

"The Balrog almost killed me. If only I was allowed to use my full power."

i was wrong in that the book is tolkien's unfinished tales, not the silmarillion, and the chapter is Istari.

>For with the consent of Eru they sent members of their own high order, but clad in bodies as of Men, real and not feigned, but subject to the fears and pains and weariness of earth, able to hunger and thirst and be slain; though because of their noble spirits they did not die, and aged only by the cares and labours of many long years.
>And this the Valar did, desiring to amend the errors of old, especially that they had attempted to guard and seclude the Eldar by their own might and glory fully revealed; whereas now their emissaries were forbidden to reveal themselves in forms of majesty, or to seek to rule the wills of Men or Elves by open displays of power, but coming in shapes weak and humble were bidden to advise and persuade Men and Elves to good, and to seek to unite in love and understanding all those whom Sauron, should he come again, would endeavour to dominate and corrupt.

What's wrong with Wes Anderson?

>We can all agree
>You have to admit
You don't speak for anyone but yourself, asshat

Wrong. It's: "The Balrog killed me. If only He allowed me to use my full power He wouldn't have had to resurrect me. Couldn't He just obliterate the Balrog and teleport me back or tell me to use my full power? My Boss is an idiot. But don't tell Him I said that. He's also an asshole."

Oh. Okay. I'm in a good mood so not gonna troll-answer you. Also I'm hungry haven't eaten in a long while and no time to troll-post gotta go find food somewhere. Cheers.

well at least you made me get up and find the book again, i forgot about it for however many months at the end of the chapter palantiri
have a nice lunch

Nah, no human can take on a Maia matte. Gandalf is like a demi god, lesser god, angel or whatever and is on the level of the Balrogs, the eagles and Sauron himself.

> INB4 Sauron fears Aragorn and Aragorn is a man

Kinda, Aragorn is a numenorian and the heir of Elendil, which kind of means he has elven blood. He is like 96 on LOTR. Still Aragorn could never take Sauron, Gandalf or even the Balrog on... what Sauron fears is Aragorn's power to command the legions of men.

>Dumbledore can create firestorms

Gandalf is a servant of the secret fire, which means he is pretty much impervious to fire as his fight against the Balrog proved.

The magics of the rings are affected by the bearers will.

>by an edgy high school teenager with daddy issues
I thought snape killed dumbledore

Reminder that while doing this he was also
>dying from a curse
>dying from the poison he had to drink from that fountain

>The HP films have more going on than LOTR.

For you're edgy teen? Sure, but LOTR created an entire universe, with its own lore, mythology, characters, history, and mythology in its own mythology.

Harry Potter is just a coming of age story, and the wizarding world isn't nearly as complex as LOTR's.