College movies

Are there any good college movies?

I watched a lot of high school movies in hs and enjoyed it, but now that I'm in college I can't find any good college movies. Only one I can think of is The Social Network. Why are there so few?

Other urls found in this thread:

imdb.com/list/ls050480757/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Bump because I wanna watch some

Road Trip? Not really a great movie but you're right, actual films that show college social life or dorms are kind of rare.

Rudy

Strangely enough they seemed to be a lot more popular in the 60s

Blue Mountain State takes place in college

But its a big meme

Everybody Wants Some
Kicking and Screaming (the Baumbach one)
Wonder Boys
Adventureland

CUZ IM IN TOO DEEP

not a college movie but the characters met in college and it's sort of reunion for them

The Skulls (2000) is a pretty fun flick.

spring break is college

We Are Marshall

OP said good movies

ALL THE

SMALL THINGS

Yeah, it's weird. It feels like college would be a great setting for lots of stories but it's still rare. There are so many good high school movies, but no college ones. Maybe the people working in film often didn't go to college/have the college experience so they don't really care?

Rules of Attraction

>Jesse returns to his alma mater for a professor's retirement party

Wtf do Americans actually do shit like this? Are you friends with your professors and love your school or something?

pleb

Maybe high school is a happier time for people? I'm not too sure the reason. College is a far more pressured environment, it doesn't have the sense of youthful idealism and open-ended promise in the way that high school can have in movies.

I've yet to see a single college movie I enjoyed or thought was decent.

I actually like that show. It's a meme but a hilarious one.

have you seen Everybody Wants Some?

That's probably part of it, true. Fuck, you made me miss high school now. High school is also the "coming of age" period and those movies are pretty popular.

most are really cheesy but have comfy feels

Yeah the high school movies offer pretty convenient metaphors for the whole coming of age thing.

Have you seen Everybody Wants Some?

Do you like Dazed and Confused?

The guy that directed Tatami Galaxy is making a film prequel called Go Forth Young Woman, I think it's coming out this year

Animal House.

I don't know, I felt college was WAY more enjoyable than high school. You get a fresh new start, living in a dorm, all those parties and beer blasts. Fuck, I wish I was back in college again because I genuinely made good friendships and had a ton of fun.

College in America seems like a much better experience than in my country. I mean, school teams, free scheduling, nice looking campus, nice weather, fraternities, house parties.

I've only read things and watched movies, but college here is nothing like that. I wish my parents were rich enough to send me to America. Oh well, at least my degree will be free.

Animal House
Also one of the best comedies of all time.

it fucking does and I have no idea why this isn't replicated in more films.
university is literally the time for being optimistic about activism and your own destiny

>Adventureland
This is more about post-college. And it really hits close to him. Especially how after undergrad, Jessie Eisenberg's character couldn't afford to go to the grad school of his choice and he was trying to figure out what to do with his life.

Yeah I mean that is definitely how it happens for some people. As the other poster mentioned, the high school film offers a convenient coming of age template.

In college I basically felt like I was surrounded by retards who didn't care about learning anything so I spent most of my time getting hammered with a couple of other people who actually gave a fuck. Basically became alcoholics and spent our time brooding and reading.

I think "Loser" with the piefucker has several college classroom scenes.

I have not seen that one.

I didn't really think Dazed and confused was anything special. My favorite movies like that were Ferris Bueller and Fast times.

Nowadays high school movies just give me massive anxiety and makes me wish I could go back.

the problem with this genre is that yank college experience is pleb shit and for the yuros uni is basically just work

Accepted was pretty funny

Yupp. I graduated university two years ago and I work at a bookstore. No idea what I want to do with my life.

Have you seen Kicking and Screaming? It is about people who graduated from the humanities/liberal arts and it takes place in the months just following their graduation as they basically wander aimlessly and get drunk. It's really amazing and deeply melancholic. One of the most underrated movies of the 90s imo.

Have you seen Everybody Wants Some? That captures the feeling of promise that I think university offers (though for me didn't quite fulfill) extremely well.

watch rory's parts of gilmore girls then watch this

22 Jump Street

Ah okay. I was going to say that Everybody Wants Some is basically just Dazed and Confused in college. Same director, same essential plotlessness with characters getting drunk and enjoying themselves. Anyway, if you're looking for something positive it might put a smile on your face. Full of joy.

I'm a yuro, how does American college differ from ours? Is it way more fun?

>there are films that are literally called "high school"
>there are films that are literally call "the graduate" and "post grad"

seems like no one wants to hear about the story of a bunch of juniors. it's always about seniors in any school level.

Alright thanks, that sounds pretty good, I'll definitely check it out. What I didn't like about Dazed is you never really got to know any characters or what they were thinking. It's a pretty comfy movie though.

College in the US is more like High School Part 2. I imagine EU colleges are more focused on actual postsecondary education.

>animal house
>revenge of the nerds
>everybody wants some
those are my three favorite college movies

more fun for plebs. i want to see more films set in mainland euro campuses which would be deemed elitist in america but are actually aesthetic af

With Dazed and Everybody I think it makes more sense to focus on the overall feeling of the movie. The characters are all distinct from one another, each have certain traits that establish them so we can understand and appreciate their actions, but you're right in that they aren't gone into very deeply. I don't think that's much of a problem because I think they all work together, with the movie's own sense of pace, to create an overall feeling that is extremely accurate in capturing what it feels like to be entering/leaving/hanging around high school, or in this case what it feels like to be entering/leaving/hanging around university.

Anyway, give it a shot. It's a very good time.

I dunno if that's even going on anymore. The sense I get from the EU is that the American plebeianism and stupidity has spread pretty far.

Indignation is amazing movie I watched recently and a stealth great college movie

This buddy.

post high school counts

In high school most everybody shares roughly the same academic and social experience, or at least exposed to them. The college experience can differ wildly for people depending on their major, extracurriculars, whether they go to a private or state school, and if they lived on campus. Probably harder to make a college film that speaks to a wide variety of audiences.

Good call.

Pretty atypical for a college movie in that it's more of a reflecting, moving drama but it was great. It seemed to kind of fly under the radar last year.

I can't speak for mainland yurope, but I'm in college in Sweden and my school is definitely fun for plebs and has been at least since my parents attended. I don't know if that's American plebianism but it's been here for a long time. It's pretty good.

sequel when??

Sometimes it's comfortable for North Americans, including myself, to imagine Europe as a place full of universities where people are walking around talking about James Joyce. Sadly the reality is that the world is mostly full of retards.

Linklater referred to Everybody Wants Some as a sequel to Boyhood.

It begins right where Boyhood ends.

I mean, I did enjoy my freshman and junior years of HS. Loathed sophomore year because honors classes and other shit made it unbearable. Senior year was kinda mixed. It was stressful in the fall because of early admission, but by the time I got accepted to my school of choice, I sorta didn't give a fuck anymore.

I reunited with a couple of my buddies from HS last spring for a mutual friend's wedding. All my old friends were excited to see me and wanted to know why I didn't reach out to them during our college years.

But college was truly amazing. I managed to get laid in my freshman year, went on 2 great road trips, studied abroad in my junior year (Netherlands), and loved the fact that I could smoke, drink, play video games anytime I wanted to. You had no responsibilities besides making sure you didn't get in trouble or expelled as well as doing all your schoolwork and getting an internship.

I think college isn't idealized in movies/TV as much as HS because a lot of writers grew up in a time when maybe only half their graduating class went to higher education. Nowadays, rising costs is making some people turn to learning a trade or vocational school.

I know that feel bro. I was supposed to go to grad school after graduating, but the economy being shit, things got derailed, and I'm working as an insurance analyst. I'm living with 2 roommates in a decent house, but it's honestly not what I want by the end of this decade.

And yes, I've seen that film because it had Olivia d'Abo in it. It really sets the tone to how you advance beyond college and into the real world. The mid-90's (1994 and 1995) had some stellar films that really shed light on how fucked trying to be an adult is. It's a much better version of St. Elmo's Fire.

That could actually be great. From entering college and a couple of years into starting his career. Could be interesting.

but not in 20something

I don't know what these words mean

>no PCU

More relevant than ever.

>alt-right v sjws

boyhood ends in 2013/14?

Unless you're studying for a VERY specific and technical field like medicine, engineering, etc., US college life is fun as fuck.

There's still a commitment to learn, but college is also the last hurrah that we get before going into the job market. Everything's been paid for by your parents and/or scholarships if you're lucky. You can go to class whenever you want so long as you're prepared to deal with the exams and projects/weekly assignments.

The only US media that actually bothered to stop at junior year of HS was The Wonder Years. I guess, studios and writers feel that senior year is more significant seeing how you're about to graduate and embark into the world. But honestly junior year is probably the most formative of your HS as well as future life. You have to take the SATs at that time, you're going to learn how to drive and get your permit/license, and it's generally the last year you could still afford to be growing up with the safety net of home and public school.

Everybody Wants Some

Excellent kino

Do people actually go to HS reunions? Mine was last summer and I didn't even know about it. Wasn't interested in going, but one of my HS buddies called me up and wondered why I wasn't there.

If I wanted to keep in touch with my HS friends and classmates, that's the beauty of Facebook. It makes life so much easier.

See this is exactly the kind of pleb I was talking about earlier.

I went to school with the intention of actually learning, opening my mind etc. I studied English and History and found myself ensconced by people like yourself who didn't give a fuck about anything and had no reason to be there except so they could finish school and go start their depressing lives at ad agencies.

If you want to actually go to university to learn anything then life is basically miserable unless you end up at an Ivy league school or something.

I saw this for the first time last year and I was amazed how prescient it was for today

imdb.com/list/ls050480757/

good list

a lot of others include too much highs chool schlock

Well this is why you try to focus on a core group of students that anyone can find someone to relate to and explore their lives.

Higher Learning is another 90's college film that's overlooked. It has Kristy Swanson and Jennifer Connelly. PCU is hilarious because it predicted what SJWs would be like today.

Funnily enough I moved back to my home state thanks to work around my 10 year.

Mine was dedicated in memory to a kid who wrapped his car around a tree a few months earlier. This kid was a fucking weirdo drug addict who never even graduated - he and another kid got drunk/high the night before graduation and smashed all the windows on the school's first floor. No one I still speak to from HS went to it, and they held it at the bar of a restaurant. I can only imagine they didn't expect many from my graduating class of around 400.

Right? This shit came out 20 years ago, yet it is 100 relevant. The only thing its missing is the Internet/Social Media.

Nah, I actually enjoyed going to class. I really appreciated Lit and History as well as Poli Sci.

I grew up under strict Bible Belt parents in public school. College was my escape. And while I partied, fucked, smoked, and got hungover, I also experienced the full facet of my intellectual curiosity as well as participate in clubs and causes.

>No one I still speak to from HS went to it, and they held it at the bar of a restaurant. I can only imagine they didn't expect many from my graduating class of around 400.
Yeah, mine had about 150 people out of a class of 521. I was cool with everyone, which is why people were wondering why I wasn't there.

Frankly, reunions are overrated. I'd rather go to my college reunion because I had better memories there and more lasting friendships (went to 3 weddings of my college bros in the past 5 years).

best post

No, you didn't.

The fact that you say things like "I enjoyed going to class" and "There's still a commitment to learn, BUT" and "You can go to class whenever you want..." is rather indicative of the fact that you went to school as a rich fuck, spent most of the time looking for chicks, and likely spent very little time actually probing deeply into your studies.

That's fine if that's why you went to college but it still means that college mostly appeals to plebs who are there for a good time.

>tfw watching Mason on his deathbed in Boyhood part 5

>pleb
Not the guy you responded too but you are a fucking poser holy shit. SPRING breakers is trash, you pleb.

Sorry mate but Spring Breakers is one of the finest instances of vulgar auteurism of the last few years.

I'm this guy. Why am I a pleb poser?

Who /droppedout/ here?

Currently a 21 year old lost NEET trying not to kill myself

My parents threatened to disown me if I dropped out. I figured that since they spent all those years saving and investing for my college fund, I needed to make sure I graduated.

I'd kill to be a 21 yo again kid lmao

I finished my 4 years of undergrad but I dropped out of teacher's college a few months ago.

I feel you bruh.

I'd kill to fuck a 21 yo girl again.

Yeah I was totally not expecting it to mirror current days so much. I thought it might be quaint but I guess this whole SocJus/alt right war has been in the works for a long time

>he's not a virgin

Please get off my board.

the SJWs have been fucking up the humanities, specifically English, for at least a few decades.

I finished my undergrad a few years ago and there were many moments that were impossible not to just laugh at. I often remember fondly a moment when a girl in class tried to discuss Hemingway's clear latent homosexuality because a character in one of his stories was attracted to a woman with short hair.

What city is that? It looks very nice.

I'm 20, what do you miss? I'm gonna do it all so I don't miss out on anything.