This was good, but not very memorable

this was good, but not very memorable.

yet you remembered to make a thread about it.

saying something is memorable or not isn't allowed until at least 10 months after the release date.

It pretty much felt like a non entity movie, well made but not very affecting.

casey looks like such a weasel fuck

This kid was such an asshole. Fuck him.

That is so insane to me that someone could say that about this movie.

It is overwhelmingly sad and moving.

The only good thing about this movie was Casey's acting. It was boring as fuck, I was expecting way more after all the raving reviews. Maybe I should watch it again when I have kids.

Sure it was quite sad but it wasn't very affecting, the only part that actually moved me was the final meeting with his ex-wife, nothing extraordinary though, felt like any other episode of Rectify.

Guess you weren't working on the movie's rhythm. I can't really understand how someone could watch it without either crying or coming near to it multiple times.

Agreed.

I didn't really feel the reason to, we were given the context of his situation then shown a few days of his terrible life after which the movie ends.

I can appreciate low-key filmmaking but this just felt like a timesink

I think about how good that scene between Affleck/Williams was a lot. In my top five list of movies from 2016

I'm sorry you felt that way.

I find it a cripplingly sad, beautiful look at whether life is worth living and if it's possible to recover from certain, all-encompassing forms of grief.

Is this the new true detective?

I think i'll remember Casey's portrayal of a broken man for a while, it was very nuanced

also those fuckin gf tits

>Cripplingly sad

No it wasn't. Watch Son of Saul if you want sad. This was way too hard boiled and obtuse to be "cripplingly sad"

>2016

I bet you'd remember capeshit though.

Son of Saul is not a good movie. It's basically a video game in film form. It's disingenuous and basically just acts as an atrocity exhibition. It's also riddled with cliches, just reenacting overdone Holocaust scenes but through the lens of its gimmick that really isn't all that compelling or meaningful.

If you think Manchester is hard boiled or obtuse then the only answer is that you just haven't connected with its inner rhythms. The movie is full of extraordinarily sad, crushing moments that it seems like you just didn't connect with.

>It's disingenuous and basically just acts as an atrocity exhibition.

Not at all. Did you miss the fact that the aspect ratio and focal length specifically avoid exhibition?

>It's also riddled with cliches, just reenacting overdone Holocaust scenes but through the lens of its gimmick that really isn't all that compelling or meaningful.
Brutal events aren't cliches.

Go watch Schindler's list and ice yourself down after that hollywood shlock shower scene.

Manchester by the Sea was full of cliches too yknow. Guy picks fights every friday at the bar - you don't think he's gonna get his ass pummeled one time? Or kicked out of the bar cuz they know what he's about? He's a bumbling mumbling morose fuck. Fine, that's the character - nothing compelling about him though.

Margaret > this movie

Schindler's List is a fucking masterpiece compared to Son of Saul.

Nemes needs to go back and work with Tarr again. He got the style but didn't seem to take anything else with retard to creating emotionally satisfying or thematically meaningful films.

>Manchester by the Sea was full of cliches too yknow. Guy picks fights every friday at the bar - you don't think he's gonna get his ass pummeled one time? Or kicked out of the bar cuz they know what he's about? He's a bumbling mumbling morose fuck. Fine, that's the character - nothing compelling about him though.

This is an extremely incoherent set of thoughts that seem to be hardly tied to the first statement.

Lookit fuckhead, taste is subjective - I understand that.

But you can't keep saying that MbtS is a sad masterpiece while refusing to acknowledge others' criticisms of it. That's not how discussions work, maybe you should return to reddit.