What went [?]right?[/?]

What went [?]right?[/?]

Other urls found in this thread:

livestream.com/bhftc
law.justia.com/cases/federal/district-courts/FSupp/174/211/1754803/
quora.com/What-happened-after-Watchmen-or-the-end-of-it),
quora.com/At-the-end-of-Watchmen-the-graphic-novel-why-does-Veidt-make-the-decisions-that-he-does).
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

The ending deviated from the source material and was a huge improvement

the soundtrack

Good idea. It'll be easy to list what went right, because the list is so short, especially in comparison to what went wrong.

No love for the squid I see.

In all seriousness, it was probably for the best that the psychic squid was left out.

Wait for the Moorefags to come and say "you just don't get it" and "the giant ass squid was deep you pleb!1!!!111!"

clearly not your attempt at using spoilers you newfag

The change Snyder made was actually a huge mistake. It makes no sense. Russians could see a giant, psychic squid as a foreign actor and an enemy they can unite with America to protect against or defeat, but how could they see Doctor Manhattan the same way? He had been working for the US for years. The Russians are very familiar with him. They would just take a supposed attack against the US by Manhattan as an opportunity to strike.

>people who liked this film
well that was an enjoyable version of a great comic book

>people disliked the movie
SQUID SQUID SQUID SQUID HE DIDNT GET IT !!!!! ZACK MISSED THE POINT!!! SQUID SQUID SQUID

Wait, what? A giant squid? Like, a real squid?

Un for get table
That's what you arrrre

Dr.Manhattan blew up cities in America. They assumed he just went nuts (as previously set up in the movie)

might as well say "Russians would figure out the squid was fake"

Alien looking, genetic engineered giant squid.

It was awesome.

It explains why the Comedian was depressed.

>Like, a real squid?
No. A giant, genetically-engineered squid with psychic powers

It's as dumb as it sounds

>[?]right?[/?]
Newfag.

>psychics are real

Did Alan Moore think this was a real thing in the real world?? Seems odd that he goes out of his way to make the comic "realistic" except for Dr.Manhattan...but also people have psychic powers LOL WHATEVER

>Sub Quantum Unified Intrinsic field Device

>can manipulate matter at the atomic level
>can't conjure up a set of clothes for himself

What did they mean by this?

What a great poster I feel like im falling

He doesn't see the point in clothes, especially because nobody can force him to wear any.

would anyone watch if i streamed it in a few minutes?

>dat intro

Why is Snyder the only director in the game today consistently making unfiltered kino?

He was sad because of a squid?

YES WE WOULD

then he's fucking stupid. and the writer is autistic.

it's the first time i'm heating about that squid thing, can anybody give me a quick rundown?

The ridiculousness of it pushed him over the edge

That's the real script.

tell you what, i'll post a link around 6:30 pm PST

Correction:
>people disliked the movie
I'm sick of looking at a glowing blue cock. What the fuck is this film.

>People who liked this film
mmmm...look at that flab of meat between his legs. I just want his radioactive cum dripping out of my ass!

i think ill be in bed by then. post link now

For some reason psychics are real in sci-fi. No use in questioning it, it just is.

bitch that's in 17 minutes, why bother posting a link now

>it was probably for the best that the psychic squid was left out.
As a squidfag, I completely agree with you. All the details about the island, the disappearing scientist and artists, etc is set up in the excerpts and files that bookend the chapter, or mentioned in the background. If you want to add that into this movie, it would honestly be another 30 minutes required to really establish it as well, and even then people would still have been confused by it.
Watchmen was considered unadaptable for a long time for a reason. It fucking is. Its a meandering confused and paranoid story told from multiple switching perspectives, where all the little details are what makes up the actual story. You have to cut things to make it fit a 90-120 page screenplay, but whatever you cut is a set up or pay off for something else, so it starts to unravel as you edit parts to make it fit.
So I agree, the squid is fine to cut, but the problem is without the squid, there's nothing to push the comedian over the edge, to confess to Morlock. There's no reason for the island to exist.
Its about as good of an adaptation as you could reasonably expect from a major studio. It does a good job of recreating panels, but it lacked the details and connectivity that makes the comic so great.

If you were god, would you wear pants?

Isn't he wearing a suit when he meets the president? Dude just likes being naked

So, the bad guy went through all this trouble to make ONE squid with psychic powers who just smashed some shit in NYC then died? I mean, just one or were there an army of squid? Why wouldn't the Russians just take advantage of NYC getting BTFO?

DICKS OUT FOR NIX!

Why did John stay as long as he did? Wouldn't he have left the instant he became a God?

fine ill stay up. post link soon so others can see it at thread start

try to make the samefag b8 less obvious

livestream.com/bhftc

streaming watchmen, get the fuck in while you can

Only thing that really killed it for me was the casting for Veidt. Nolan just fucked up that character altogether.

Otherwise is was a pretty good adaptation

No, they found a kid with psychic potential, cloned his brain, and bombarded it with the most awful horrible alien imagery they could create. The squid and killing everyone in new york was a smoking gun, the real blow was delivered with the psychic death rattle as the squid monster was killed in transport. They say that anyone with the slightest sensitivity to ESP on the planet pretty much died in shock, and regular people suffered PTSD even though new york was the only city actually attacked.
The whole idea was to unite the human race against a totally alien, and totally outside threat. Making new york the target was specifically to give the US a bloody nose, as well as exonerate the country from the decades of bad will that their superman-backed imperialism had created.
It's very much a product of its time too, it's very much a cold war story.

They set up Manhattan to be a emotionally unstable superhuman.

They figured he couldn't control his emotions and would do drastic things, and he vanished from the public when going to Mars. It would make sense that people thought he was plotting to end humanity because the Doomsday Clock was getting so close.

That makes a lot more sense. I had this image of one giant squid monster just walking out of the ocean and smashing stuff before suddenly dying.

>Wouldn't he have left the instant he became a God?
Literally the entire point of the Manhattan chapters was that time wasn't linear for him. His whole life (at least the part on one side of the tachyon disturbances) was something he was existing in constantly. He bemoans the fact that free will doesn't exist, and that they're all trapped by determinism. His ultimate turn/redemption comes from him realizing that even if everything is predetermined, its also beautifully chaotic. He was raised to be a watchmaker until man split the atom, and his father recognized that they were entering a new age and pressed his son into physics. Which is of course what set him down the path to become Dr. Manhattan. It's a not to subtle hint about the existential crisis that is determinism. Is god a watchmaker? Is the universe a well oiled machine, or is it quantum chaos?
John leaves earth because he wants to find out, and the implication is that he becomes a God of the reader's universe.

Ozymandias gathers some of the most talented people and scientists in the world and sets them up in a project where they basically use their talents to create some of the most fucked up stuff in human arts, which then is use to create squid looking creature by bioengineering, which has psychic powers and shit. It is then teleported only to the city of New York (and another one is sent to Russia, I don't really remember), causing some kind of psychic wave that kills pretty much everyone in the city, and most people around the world are affected by nightmares and strange feelings. The squid dies by design.

Ozy kills everyone involved.

The USA and Russia form a truce since they believe to be under an alien attack.

The squid is absolutely the better ending. The fact that it is literally an "alien" represents "alien" threats, threats from "the other", the outside, the foreign, etc., and so in this case it's an obvious metaphor for the relations between the States and Russia at the time. But no, Hollywood doesn't like history lessons so it has to turn the awesome giant MEANINGFUL squid into a boring-ass, generic blue-white explosion exactly like you'd see in any modern mediocre science fiction movie. And then of course retards the world over who know nothing about books and have never heard of close reading or allegory are all "THE MOVIE ENDING IS BETTER LOL!!!!!!!" Wrong. It's shit.

>just walking out of the ocean and smashing stuff before suddenly dying.
Nope. Honestly the less said the better, you should read it. It's like 400 pages long, the art is incredible, and it perfectly uses and exploits the medium of the comic book to tell a really interesting, intricate, multilayered story that never feels like its trying to be 2deep4u. It's just a solid story and a fun read that rewards revisits because you notice Rorschach in the background of someone else's story, or catch a connection you missed the last time, etc.
tl:dr go read it, its good

I would really like to know what Moore was thinking when he came up with this wholly unreasonable conclusion.

Not the squid part - the fact that Ozy (smartest man in the world) thought a tentative truce in light of a 3rd threat would last any amount of time.

Hey! Remember when the US and Russia were allies fighting the Nazis? Remember how that fell apart the moment fighting stopped and it came time to divy up the spoils?

Hey! Remember when the US led a NATO coalition of all our allies into war? How long did that team-up last? Oh right - less than two years.

The idea that some massive attack will PERPETUALLY keep people allied and working together is pure idiocy. Unless Ozy was planning on repeating the "incident" and killing tens of millions every decade or so, he changed literally nothing. If if he IS planning on repeating the incident, then what has he saved?

he stole the idea from an Outer Limits episode. I guess Ozy thinks it would work because it "worked" in the story not that it was a completely realistic thing that would happen in the real world

(same with framing Dr.Manhattan...the plan worked because it worked inside the fictional world of Watchmen)

It only works - even in the fictional setting - because we're TOLD it works. there's no showing of this. It "working" isn't part of the movie or the book.

And I'm saying it DIDN'T work. Russia and the US were back at each other's throats within the decade. Ozymandius FAILED. Let's see that issue printed.

The movie was okay but insisted upon itself too much.

He was an egomaniacal retard, and he was desperate.

Honestly, the biggest problem with the film was Ozy's casting (he was pretty likeable in the comic) and the amount of over the top action. Everything else was pretty good.

You're thinking on too small of a scale. The truces that dissolved were because we were arguing among each other, human to human. With an alien threat, it forces them to stop thinking about country vs. country and start thinking about humanity vs. the unknown races from space.

What was it that astronaut said about looking at Earth from space and wishing everyone could experience it?

>With an alien threat, it forces them to stop thinking about country vs. country and start thinking about humanity vs. the unknown races from space.
IT

NEVER

DOES

Not once. Not in the entire history of mankind has old enmity just disappeared because a new threat showed up. And this misses the point that - again - unless Ozy was planing on doing this repeatedly, there WAS NO THREAT. How long would these opposed forces remain at truce after 1 year of no alien/ Dr. Manhattan attack? 5 years? 10 years? It is ridiculously stupid to think that a single catastrophe would just wipe out all sense of national identity.

>What was it that astronaut said about looking at Earth from space and wishing everyone could experience it?
I'm a LOT more interested in what that astronaut said one year after that quote. I bet he was still bitching about people after his grandiose view.

>I'm a LOT more interested in what that astronaut said one year after that quote.

it was an amazing adaptation, especially considering someone as creative and intelligent as Terry Gilliam said it was impossible to film. I loved the film, and I honestly believe that the people on Sup Forums who say they hate it are either shitposters or millennial who are used to 45 jumpcuts per minute and dubstep interwoven between every scene

The only true Capekino

>Not in the entire history of mankind has old enmity just disappeared because a new threat showed up.
You know what else has never happened in the history of mankind? Being attacked by ayy lmaos.
Ozy also monologues about it, that his companies are in a position to reap all the benefits of the reconstruction. He's basically opening the door so he can move in and be the guy pulling the strings behind the scenes. It's a false flag event that let's him get deeper in bed with the governments of the world.

Dr. Manhattan's origin story was goddamned amazing to watch.

are you baiting?

>You know what else has never happened in the history of mankind? Being attacked by ayy lmaos.

European invasion makes for a fairly good analogy.
>Native American tribes fighting over territory and resources
>completely alien civilization shows up and starts wrecking everybody's shit

Now what happened next? Did all the Native American tribes join together to face the new, external threat? No - no that didn't happen. What happened was Native American tribes gladly teamed up with Europeans to fight their old rivals.

But hey, that was before they realized how invasive the Europeans were going to be right? They made that alliance of nations with Tecumseh, after all! Except that Tecumseh's Confederacy barely lasted 5 years, and ALLIED WITH THE BRITISH in the War of 1812. You know - the people that started the settlements that they created Tecumseh's Confederacy to fight.

But that's all history now! Surely after over a hundred years of Native American culture degrading and living under the rule of the US, the various American Tribes have gone past their old rivalries and see themselves all as one people. But if that's the case, then why were the Navajo and Hopi tribes petitioning the US federal courts for permission to sue each other over which tribe had access to what land?
law.justia.com/cases/federal/district-courts/FSupp/174/211/1754803/

>that his companies are in a position to reap all the benefits of the reconstruction
This is a reason to understand that Ozy was WRONG. He wasn't trying to bring about peace. He was trying to gain more power and money.

I repeat that it is moronic for anyone to accept Ozy's plan as some sort of solution.

>Nolan

The film that put Kino in Capekino.

Thank you snyder, thank you ;_;

The book is partially about mankind (and America specifically)'s relationship with superstition, and how it's something everyone relies on in some way. It's a bit of a Moore-ian thing; he presents a world that's just aching for an excuse to throw aside their differences and start to get along, which we all know is not the case in reality. It's part of the fundamental comedy of the book and of Moore's work at large that a lot of people don't even bother noticing.

Scientists faking up a world threat to get the nations to work together is a well-used trope.

See The Architects of Fear on the old series of The Outer Limits. Don't peak at the end.

pretty much. i loved the comic but goddamn this movie blew me away. its as best of an adaptation as it was gonna get.

>its as best of an adaptation as it was gonna get
This sentiment offends me more than the movie itself. While probably technically true as the book will probably never be adapted to film again, it also implies the movie could not have been better, which is so incredibly far from the truth

I'll check it out, thanks!

I believe that the telepath the genes were harvested from was literally the only one in the world ... those genes were used as part of the squid construct.

Moore makes the superpowers (Manhattan, the telepath) vanishingly rare.

Russians would find out the Americans made the Squid.

>it's not a bug, it's a feature

While there are some that try to point to Bubastis' end as foreshadowing of Moore's thoughts on Ozy's plan (quora.com/What-happened-after-Watchmen-or-the-end-of-it), there are FAR more people who think Ozy's brutal idea was actually going to be successful (quora.com/At-the-end-of-Watchmen-the-graphic-novel-why-does-Veidt-make-the-decisions-that-he-does).

Sci-fi likes to use it a lot. But you'll never see a sci-fi show about what happens AFTER. Yes obviously an outside force can quell tension between two parties, but only temporarily.

To make it a better movie, it would have had to be a worse adaption.

Yeah, you'd only have to include an entire other plotline in the movie to explain all of this.

Seriously, that would add ... forty-five minutes to the film, just to make it coherent. Watchmen was unfilmable for so long because there's a lot of shit going on in it, and you just can't get the audiences to sit for a five hour movie.

i haven't seen it in a while, but having never read the source material i really liked the movie. i don't really like any other ZS movies, just something about this one rubs me the right way. and theres a sex scene with that woman who i have a huge boner for. i mean that woman for whom i have a huge boner.

>Sci-fi likes to use it a lot. But you'll never see a sci-fi show about what happens AFTER.

You've obviously never seen the fine product Independence Day 2.

>To make it a better movie, it would have had to be a worse adaption.
That doesn't even make sense

>But you'll never see a sci-fi show about what happens AFTER.

Actually, that's not true. Babylon 5 did exactly this with the 5th season, after the Shadow Wars and the Rebellion. A whole season of more and more squabbles cropping up until it leads right back to the brink of war.

Reminded myself once again how nice that show is.

Seeing Rorschach's death adapted was great. Carried a lot of emotional weight.

It like turning a car into a plane. To keep it a faithful "flying car" adaption instead of just a plane, you're forced to end up with a crappy plane. But the more you turn it into a good plane, the less of a flying car you get.

In a similar sense, the elements that keep it a "faithful adaption" of the book are exactly what drags it down as a movie. The more you get rid of those elements to improve the movie, the less faithful the adaption.

It was entirely fully and completely ruined by them putting Night Owl there to deliver the obligatory NOOOOOOOOOO

Though Jack Haley did a great job of course

Nothing went right!
The film sucked!

but the squid was real

100% agree.

While I agree that some lines were lifted from the text that shouldn't have, while others that should have been lifted were entirely omitted, I think you're confusing the issue.

To make a good "comic book movie" isn't a linear scale where you try and strike a balance between "comic book" and "movie" necessarily.

They should adapt it into a limited series.

12 episodes each one adapting one issue of the comic.

>To make a good "comic book movie" isn't a linear scale where you try and strike a balance between "comic book" and "movie" necessarily.
Agreed. My point still stands.

A popular book has a number of emotional or wow moments. A good movie will faithfully adapt them for the big screen.

Nite Owl being there didn't bother me. It gave him a more emotional context to beat up Veidt, since he and Rorschach were about the closest thing to friends (in the movie at least) .

This exists for you purists.

that, and leaving out the stupid pirate subplot

>when comic books are too much reading

Completely agree. Favorite scene in the movie.

But your logic seems to be "when it becomes more of one thing, it becomes less of another" and that's what I'm arguing against??? Do you just not like the book?

1. The opening sequence with the bob dylan song.
2. Rorschach.
3. The ending was way better than the stupid ass squid in the comic. Seriously, what was with that? It's like Moore had a brilliant work of art on his hands and fumbled it at the 1 yard line.
4. Definitely not the long, awkward sex scene.

That opening credits

>incredible sets augmented with CGI
>a few fantastic performances (Haley, Crudup, Wilson)
>EXTREMELY admirable job of condensing the book into a single movie

It's pretty kino. Not perfect but damn is it impressive. Can't believe Snyder convinced WB to let him make a $130 million dollar R-rated adaptation of a comic books normies had never heard of