Arrival is just ok

Wow...ok uuuuuuuh so
Did we even really figure out their purpose? They said they came to help Humanity because in 3000 years they need help.
But how does that make sense they just came, floated in the sky for some months and then left just before conflict ensued
So 12 of their ships just landed across the globe for the sole purpose of finding Louise...so why even be at the 11 other locations? They knew she had this "gift" before she even did and they specifically want her.
And what kind of autist leaves their spouse after she tells them their daughter is going to get supercancer, wouldn't a normal person stay and try to help rather than get mad and dip, they don't portray him as a hothead but all of a sudden

It was a test. See if this civilization can last a few months, nevermind three millennia. Of course, it happened because it always happened like that, but beyond that, maybe it wasn't always Adams and that particular ship that successfully communicated, but then everything fell into that place.

Also the type of autist who is an awkward math genius. He was never portrayed as being great with people.

It was for plot's sake and nothing else. Shit is overrated as hell.

They landed the 12 ships to bring the world together because, presumably, that will help them in 3000 years

They came to help humanity unify as one.

They drop a line in the movie saying that earth doesnt have 1 leader and how each country is just acting in their own self interest rather than working together

They helped humans get their shit together and finally unify as one species because in the future, earth as a collective helps them out. It's implied that if humans never unified that they would never reach the stars and become a space faring people thus helping out the aliums

This movie was one of my favorites of 2016. Free will vs determinism with a sprinkle of conservative undertones when people were expecting some liberal strong womyn who need no man saves the day

>how does that make sense they just came, floated in the sky for some months and then left just before conflict ensued

They gave humans super-weapons so that in 3000 years they would be both OP as fuck and indebted to the aliens.

>for the sole purpose of finding Louise...so why even be at the 11 other locations?

There's a lot of minor reasons why this makes sense. Make it a global effort, make it appear more dire, increase the time-frame that humans are able to communicate with the aliens and then share that information. Hell, maybe Louise was just 12th on the list of language people or some shit?

>They knew she had this "gift" before she even did

The gift was the language. She knew she understood the language, and she knew there was some weapon/gift/tool, and she was beginning to grasp that her visions had something to do with the future, but she didn't really bring it all together until the alien explained it to her.

>who leaves their spouse after she tells them their daughter is going to get supercancer?

Though you have to make some assumptions, he probably felt deeply taken advantage of. She knew the consequences, and went along with it anyway. Also, he couldn't look at his daughter the same way, as if she were already dead.

You are now aware that the aliens could understand English, Mandarin, etc all along.

>Did we even really figure out their purpose?
Use weapon you dense motherfucker

>And what kind of autist leaves their spouse after she tells them their daughter is going to get supercancer, wouldn't a normal person stay and try to help rather than get mad and dip, they don't portray him as a hothead but all of a sudden

Shock and inability to cope, for one. Sick or dying kids drives couples apart all the time. But moreso it was that she knew this would happen and still had the kid.

>Free will vs determinism with a sprinkle of conservative undertones when people were expecting some liberal strong womyn who need no man saves the day
You're such a faggot holy shit

Villeneuve is literally the pleb version of Malick.

>dreamy scenes of daughter giggling and dying with soft focus and long pregnant pauses
>literally every sentence reads out like a life insurance commercial
>everything drawn out to unbearable levels
>everyone is a zero depth stock character just for delivering floaty exposition

Actually I take it back. This is not even Malick lite, it's a Nolan knockoff movie.

In fact if someone told there's even 1% chance that this was directed by Nolan I would have to take it as absolute certainty.

At the beginning of the movie, it's basically the furthest in the future, why does she act shocked at all these events with her daughter when she knew they were going to happen and could easily peer into the future and see them

Moving tree roots draws Chinese calligraphy
Earth shattering new sci-fi

There's no more critical thinking in movies

>uh why did X happen
because the movie sucks

>calling the Emperor of China on his home phone whispering what his dead wife said before she died somehow makes China our ally

It's like these people never interacted with a mainland chinese person in their life.

Why don't you write, "Not enough quips and dadrock" and leave it at that?

Lmao very true. That's all it took to convince him

He's not wrong. The movie's message is definitely pro-life.

She couldn't easily peer into the future, she was only getting flashes and didn't know what they were.

That doesn't make sense though because she got the gift after she understood the language, we were seeing flash-fowards before she had that final thing with the aliens.

So it's assumed that she's had the gift since birth because at that point time isn't linear she can see, or become conscious within, any time.

Obviously the whole movie is a delusion by louise for why her daughter has to die and why her husband left her

Or any human being.

is there a novelization that 'shows' what happens in 3000 years/what it looks like?

we become giant autistic squids that communicate by humming and drawing circles

Technically most of the songs in that guy's Walkman weren't dadrock since they came out for his mom, but I guess expecting millenials to understand people other than themselves is kind of not happening at this point.

that explains why so many millennials loves shouting love can fix everything and other cringey shit, they've been feed this made up shit since birth and think it works in real life.

the book never mention why the ayliums had any purpose. the entire theme of the book was time and linguistics. they had to shoehorn other bits into the movie so that americans don't get emotionally confused and shoot up another movie theatre.

Why do that and not resolve it then? They could have just said that they're explorers that like to test lesser species.

>and not resolve it then?
They do resolve it your ultratard.
When she goes up to the ship she asks why they're doing all this, and Costello says "Help Humans. In 3000 years humans help us."
Try staying off your phone the next time you watch a movie.

I mean why have them say that and then not say what kind of help? If they added it because the general audience doesn't like loose ends, that's a pretty big one.

Because the movie isn't about humans helping them in 3000 years. That's just world building. And they exist with a perception of time that is non linear. Cause and effect works differently from them. Amy adams got the number and knew exactly what to say because the chinaman gave her his number in the future and told her what she was supposed to say, so she could call him and tell him what he needed to hear to save the human race.

But he's right tho...

Movie is about free will vs determinism

And like this user said It's def pro life

The ending honestly made me love the movie even more. When she chose to give birth to her daughter knowing she was going to die

Did she get the incurable disease from the ayys?

>tfw death process

yea actually what did that mean?

Abbott is death process

why was he dying?

he died in the explosion

I can't believe we are still having retards posting these threads with the same dumb stupid ass questions every damn day

>people have questions after a newer movie drops
huh wow really makes me think

>People can't be bothered to think
wow really doesn't makes me think

I did think that after seeing it, and thought they were total dicks for not responding to the first scientists.

The very first thing the aliens should have done was use their circle language thing at first contact to fast track the whole thing, but I guess their "time vision" required Amy Adams to show up first.

When I think about it actually Amy adams wasn't special, all of the info and findings were given to all the other countries and they made us well aware of it. Only thing as far as we know, is that she's the first one to use the power. But if other people were interepreting the alien language it means they had access to the power too, Louise was just quicker

I'm surprised conspiracyfags aren't devouring this shit saying "Muh NWO. Muh One World Goverment agenda" and shit. Maybe because they didn't understand it

You can't take one event from a film and use it to say that its meaning is part of the film's message. It's only part of the film's message if it fits within the greater structure and context of the film. Having the baby is more about anti-free will and an exploration of suffering (and its virtues) than any sort of political message about abortion, and your analysis has be pretty meager in order for that to be your takeaway.

did you not get this while you were watching?
Why do you think the Chinese general knew what to tell her in the future?
It's because he learns the language in the present and was able to see that giving Adams the phone number and phrase will allow her to stop him from nuking the aliens.

wow ur cool bro

>knew what to tell her
You mean other way around. How would he know what to say he's new to the power just like her.
She subconsciously jumps to the time in her "memory" when she's being thanked by the General.

If what you're saying was true he'd be saying it with a lot more urgency and a lot less thankfulness

No you didn't understand how the language worked.
Once Adams learned the language she was able to see that she would end up teaching this language to everyone which unlocked the gift for everyone else.
It allows you to see your own timeline but not others so he wouldn't know how emergent Adams present timeline is.

Because that's how it happened, the Aliens and Louise are powerless to change the future, gaining a non-linear perception of time is like being teleported to the precipice of your death and experiencing your whole life in flashbacks.

foad.

They never gave us a super weapon. They said at the end the language was the 'weapon' (remember she said their word for weapon was the same as tool), a weapon/tool that would allow us so see into our future and unify as a species, which would in turn put us in the right place in time to help the heptapods.

The broken up technology they gave us was just a macguffin to drive home the point of us unifying. In the book it's not broken up, and it's just tech that we already have. But the book isn't as dramatic.

>Wow...ok uuuuuuuh so
Kys you little retarded faggot

>supercancer

You are either underage or just an idiot. Therefore your opinion on this movie is invalid.

/thread

We're not seeing the film in real time. We're seeing it how she now sees it, and the heptapods see it.

The film we're seeing is her memory, that's why it's intercut with her future.9

You accidentally cofused it with 'Passegers', didn't you?

A one-world government would be a great thing, less war for starters. Why do conspiracy faggots always think it will turn into a dystopian dictatorship?

How young are you that a gen x guy is your dad? My father was born in the 50s.

Wrong

because look at the EU, its turned into a total shitshow, literally people getting raped/murdered because of pro globalist policies, it doesnt work because every country isnt the same

>Sick or dying kids drives couples apart all the time.
yeah, when they already died.

>comes to a discussion forum dedicated to movies
>"why are all these people discussing movies?!"
>i hate this place
this is you.

The exposition was very light compared to Nolan until the very end. I get your point though

just look in wich culture/wich continent the most people live and you know, who would constantly being voted for world leader. did you ever ask yourself, why the EU does not do votings on their leadership?

The reason this plot is still talked so much about is because it toys with the idea of determinism then shitting all over that by trying to incorporate that with time travel.
>Hey guys the future and past are all fixed
>Except for that one time when the plot needs it

Still I liked it a lot, the concept was good, the aliens where OK, the language learning aspect was fun (and learning languages always goes well in montages). Interstellar caught less flak and the ending was literally him flying into a black hole, using a 5D bookshelf to send love back in time and then being picked up out of empty space again

>Except for that one time when the plot needs it
when?

Yeah I thought the film was barely above mediocre.

The revelation at the end that she had been seeing the future instead of the past throughout the film was such a "so what?" moment, I don't see why the viewer was supposed to care about that. On top of that, the overall message of "DUUUUUDE WE HAVE TO LIKE WORK TOGETHER AND COMMUNICATE AND SHIT LMAO" was retardedly simplistic.

The actual sci-fi stuff was nice though, enjoyably realistic portrayal of what an alien invasion might be like.

When she can learn a language from the future because now like the aliens she can see in time back and forth.

Now the "non linear time viewing" isn't necessarily a problem but seeing it in the future and thereby altering the past is not compatible. Maybe she can see that in the future she speaks Mandarin but seeing the future doesn't mean you can change the past. Really not that big of a deal it's sci-fi after all

>yfw you see the movie two times and you didn't realize the cancer kid and marriage happen after the plot, not before
My gf pointed it out to me when I watched it together after watching it alone first. I 100% thought all of that happened before the movie.

once she learns the alien language time stops being linear for her, therefore present, future and past stop existing. at any point in time she has experienced all of her future. she knew mandarin already

It doesn't work like that. Just because she can see time non linearly doesn't mean it isn't anymore. It's not like a road you go back an forth on. It happens ONCE and the aliens can just see it all in one time rather than experience it frame by frame like humans. But time still happens only once, and there still is a clear past and future and that's why it's always the same course and time travel isn't possible. Like if she had AIDS in the future she wouldn't also have if in the past. If she can speak Mandarin in the future she can't in the past. Why couldn't she speak Mandarin as a baby then?

There's actually a fun part of Vonnegut's slaughterhouse five, where he meets aliens who these aliens are blatantly stolen from. They can see all of time in one go, and they wipe themselves out by a faulty bomb or something. Then the humans asks "if you can see it happen, why don't you stop it?" to which the aliens answer "the situation will always be set up to play out like this, and we will always let it happen."

you fucking idiot

>Why couldn't she speak Mandarin as a baby then?
Because she didn't know the alien language back then, so she didn't knew Mandarin. The past is set in stone, but once she learned squidspeak all the experiences and knowledge from the whole extent of her life was available to her

they wanted to get the money of stupid folk by giving them some sci-fi-ish time travel BS they can understand
there is nothing more to it. they understood a sci-fi, they get their money. everyone is happy

Repeat after me

>There is no time travel in Arrival

Only her perception on time changes where she "remembers" the future just like we remember our past in the form of memories.
She doesn't literally move to another place in time, she is always in the current narrative.

When you remember a childhood memory, you aren't time travelling to that exact moment are you?

Props to you for confessing of being a sub intelligent human being

thanks for confirming, happy you understood the movie

>so why even be at the 11 other locations?

If just one ship landed, you think the government of that country would gladly spread the information they gather with the rest of the world?
You think they would let Amy Adams character write and publish a single line about it publicly?
You think the humanity as a whole would help the aliens then in 3000 years?

Also big part of the movie is "working together" no matter how cheesy it sounds

The whole concept is pretty laughable. "Yeah let's just go to this planet and ask monkeys which have been slaughtering each other at increasingly large scale for the last 40.000 years to help us in 3000 years".

In fact we do have ONE fully intact preserved human corpse that is over 3000 years old and he has an arrow sticking out of his back.

Even if there was unity among humans, it wouldn't last and we wouldn't care. Imagine there was an old aztek note or something found "remember to help space aliens 3000 years from now" sure no problem.

This movie is retarded, nonsensical bullshit strung together randomly to try and contrive an excuse for tugging on the lowest common denominator's heartstrings.

It's terrible science fiction with one dimensional characters, a horrible plot, and mediocre directing.

And it really pissed me off how they treat the math faggot like some useless idiot when math is literally the first fucking thing you should use to communicate with an alien, and treat the linguist bitch like some amazing genius when her idea for communicating with eldritch alien life is just to write English on a whiteboard for a few months, which isn't nearly enough time to teach a useful vocabulary with the way she was trying to teach them.

>being this stupid

they flat out said in the movie that they gave pieces to different cultures/nations to promote cooperation so humanity could get over nationalism etc. and advance far enough to help them in the future.

>mfw I watched it once and barely paid attention and figured this out 20 minutes in

How the fuck is humanity, the species of primative apes who can barely avoid nuking each other, supposed to be of any help to these eldritch beings with technology millennia ahead of hours and who casually break the laws of physics for the entire movie?

The plot of this movie doesn't make sense, at all, it only exists to shove a underdeveloped, ignorant message of cooperation down the viewers throat by having everyone except the Mary Sue of a main character behave like idiots, and make normies cry over the littlest cancer patient.

I didn't say it was believable, I just answered idiot op's question

>Emperor of China
american education?

>Earth invasion
>China Sudan and Russia chimping out while claps are the voice of reason

i actually have a new found respect for people with strong nationalistic values; its okay to acknowledge that african countries are hell holes

not as good as inception. way fucking better than interstellar. (love can change time and space lel)

>time is a flat circle
was rust right?

They aren't discussing the movie. They're calling it shit because it didn't spoonfeed them answers and/or because they're autists who lack empathy or any understanding of how humans think and act.

She doesn't learn it from the future, she's a fucking linguist and apparently a world class one. She knew it already because it's her job to know it.

Because once humanity learns Heptapod they're going to see time as a closed loop and essentially change what we think we know about "human nature"
In Louise's words, "if you knew what's going to happen in your life, past and future, would you change something?" Speaking Ayylmao gives humans the possibility to overcome our fear of death and the way we think of causality and Louise is an example of the generosity and a life-embracing attitude that this can lead to. Allegedly, thanks to learning Heptapod, in 3k years humanity will have advanced so much that we're a united spacefaring race that's going to help the Ayylmaos and close the loop. It's literally spelled out in the movie.

The reason he leaves is because the child isn't his, it's half-alien. When she's in that misty environment, do you think that's actually mist? No it's their semen and she was swimming and breathing in it. She was impregnated right then and there so the child would suffer from an alien disease that plagues the aliens 3000 years from now. This means that doctors got to run early tests and manage to get a vaccine before the disease gets a chance to outbreak in the future.

Ian the scientist realized this and refused to be the first interdimensional cuck. Unfortunately, leaving doesn't make a difference. What happened, happened.

Pro refugee garbage

... ok uuuuuuuuuuuuuh

OOOOOOooooh umhhhhhhh yamyam

ohoho OHOHOH OU UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHHHGH

also shit movie

the whole concept is retarded, learning a crappy smudge language won't allow you to see future, any physicist would laugh at this concept
the movie presents the tired meme theory that the time is set as an existing fourth dimension and that everything that happened and happens is already set there and we are simply reading that dimension in order, like reading a book, but learning the language allowed her to skip ahead in the book and read the future pages
the movie is boring and the concept is fucking retarded
i thought that the time travel concept in interstellar was stupid and it couldn't get any worse but oh boy has this movie proven me wrong

B-but, suspension of disbelief!

No

I can suspense my disbelief if the movie or whatever is not solely focused on a concept that does not make any sense, but only uses it as a tool/element to tell its story. which is the case for most of the fantasy/sci-fi movies/shows/books. But, Arrival is not that. Arrival is like if Back to the Future was about how to travel in time.

>physicists would laugh
>a branch of science who're constantly getting their "rules" broken by scientific advances

Why should anyone listen to them?

that's not even the main point there.

>solution to the movie is globalism
get this kike shit out of here