Why do normies love this so much?

why do normies love this so much?

Other urls found in this thread:

blog.stephenwolfram.com/2016/11/quick-how-might-the-alien-spacecraft-work/
youtube.com/watch?v=z79pHWwtNHY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>dude we need humanity's help
>okay let's test them first and put 12 across the world xD
Were the aliens intelligent? Surely they would have tried to contact us first before humans contact them

Cause feelings

>ayyys landing on earth
>not sending in some mathematicians to communicate binary and developing an alphabet so both species can communicate with each other, despite it's SETI 101
>sending in some linguist because of the way she interprets sanskrit and the first thing she is doing is waving around latin signs and she is magically learning a highly complex script/language instead the other way around
i know it's all about the alien language/script, but even that climax was garbage since the movie didn't even try to explain how this works. the whole movie was contact for emotional unstable women who won't put their iphones down while watching a movie.

>why are they here

This wasn't even explained in the movie.
The poster is fake advertising.

poor goys are young and naive

Why didn't she just get an abortion and get another healthy kid?

it's a good flick

>but even that climax was garbage since the movie didn't even try to explain how this works.
Except it did explain how it works you retard. Learning the language rewires your brain, giving you the ability to see your future and your past. She'd learnt just enough of it that she could start using her future sight to teach herself the language using a textbook she writes in the future. She then uses her improved abilities to extract information from a future conversation with the Chinese Prime Minister (his wife's last words).

>why are they here
Literally explained in plain English. They're here to teach humans the fortune-telling language so that humans can use it to rescue the aliens in another 3000 years. (From this we also know the aliens can live to at least 3000 years.)

The scenes with the kid are actually the future. The kid isn't a flashback. It's a flashFORWARD.

Why do you have autism?

>Learning the language rewires your brain, giving you the ability to see your future and your past.
that's comic book logic and don't even make sense.

Makes them feel smart. It wasn't made for 10 years olds, but for 12 year olds who "have totally moved on from transformers" to intellectual big budget capes- I mean sci-fi

>not sending in some mathematicians to communicate binary
That question is literally answered in the movie. They did exactly that in an another site (I think Australia) and had zero results, but as soon as they threw some advanced heavy equations at them they would get a response.
So it was implied that the aliens can understand complex structures easier than our "basic" ways of interaction.
Just pay attention to the movie next time

>i know it's all about the alien language/script
No. The ayylmaos and the science are only plot devices to the actual narrative of Amy Adams character relationship with life/death and embracing every waking moment of it. It is by no means a "hard sci fi" movie about aliens.
Just pay attention to the movie next time

I blame marketing for all of your preconcieved expectations of it being a hard sci fi first contact ayylmao movie.

post yfw abbott is death process

>That question is literally answered in the movie. They did exactly that in an another site (I think Australia) and had zero results, but as soon as they threw some advanced heavy equations at them they would get a response.
>So it was implied that the aliens can understand complex structures easier than our "basic" ways of interaction.
lazy plothole. binary is the cornerstone of mathematics and information technology. 1 and 0, yes and no. since the ayyys were able to build dank spaceships, they must have mastered this hence be able to work with that universal language. the writers just wanted to be 2deep4science.

>No. The ayylmaos and the science are only plot devices to the actual narrative of Amy Adams character relationship with life/death and embracing every waking moment of it. It is by no means a "hard sci fi" movie about aliens.
that's interpretation. you don't build up a movie as "hard sci-fi" and then tell everyone it was about a shamalamadingongesque part of the plot that became relevant in the last 15 minutes of the movie.

>Fibonacci sequence
I KNOW WHAT THAT IS! I AM SMART NOW!

>binary is the cornerstone of mathematics and information technology. 1 and 0, yes and no
Even if they know of binary, are you aware how much time would it take to learn that non linear language through 1 and 0's? It would be impossible.
Also google the definition of a plothole please

>you don't build up a movie as "hard sci-fi" and then tell everyone it was about a shamalamadingongesque part of the plot that became relevant in the last 15 minutes of the movie.
How can you be so ignorant and delusional?
The opening sequence is about it, the ending sequence too, all the major scenes are intercut with those scenes and even when it's in the current narrative it's either a hard close-up of Amy Adams face or her point of view with a shallow focus. The movie doesn't work without it.
Again, just pay attention to the movie.

>Even if they know of binary, are you aware how much time would it take to learn that non linear language through 1 and 0's?
they could have a working language within a month and then starting to learn the ayyy-script-language instead of months of try and error. the movie made it seem that it's easier for us to learn their non-liniear circle glibberish when actually the other way around would be true. and since the ayyys reacted to "our" language and signs, they did understand them.

>How can you be so ignorant and delusional?
calm down.

>The opening sequence is about it, the ending sequence too, all the major scenes are intercut with those scenes and even when it's in the current narrative it's either a hard close-up of Amy Adams face or her point of view with a shallow focus. The movie doesn't work without it.
do you even know how many movies are build up like that? the opening scene only made sense AFTER you've watched the movie. two thirds of the movie you see this "flashforwards" and they seem out of context. true, the "aha!" is big when you realize it's meaning, but that is still no excuse for the lazy writing.

Why are they here? It's interesting. Good question.

Abbott is the real hero man. He could probably see the future himself, knew he was gonna die and still did all he did to save his boys 3000 years later.

>but as soon as they threw some advanced heavy equations at them they would get a response.
that's stupid as fuck
complex maths depend alot of symbols that we just invented for cultural reasons, like, how where the aliens suposed to know the weird S in math is suposed to be an integral, or the d a derivative, or what the symbols for laplace or fuirier or eulers are suposed to represent? how would they understand what e=mc^2 represents if they don't understand what the symbol "2" represents?
retarded

It's simple, has a positive message, makes you feel smart. It's also very good technically.

>literally all my normie friends said this is or looks boring
I have bad news for you user....

They obviously didn’t show them in our alphabet form, it is a logical assumption.

Mind you, Stephen Wolfram himself worked on Arrival for all the programming and as the math consultant.
You can read about it here blog.stephenwolfram.com/2016/11/quick-how-might-the-alien-spacecraft-work/

I have no idea

the whole concept is retarded, learning a crappy smudge language won't allow you to see future, any physicist would laugh at this concept
the movie presents the tired meme theory that the time is set as an existing fourth dimension and that everything that happened and happens is already set there and we are simply reading that dimension in order, like reading a book, but learning the language allowed her to skip ahead in the book and read the future pages
the movie is boring and the concept is fucking retarded
i thought that the time travel concept in interstellar was stupid and it couldn't get any worse but oh boy has this movie proven me wrong

B-but, suspension of disbelief!

No

I can suspense my disbelief if the movie or whatever is not solely focused on a concept that does not make any sense, but only uses it as a tool/element to tell its story. which is the case for most of the fantasy/sci-fi movies/shows/books. But, Arrival is not that. Arrival is like if Back to the Future was about how to travel in time.

>g-guys, learning languages is RETARDED!

There sure are many Ameritards ITT.

As I already said, in all of these Arrival threads I have not found one valid buzzword free argument of why is it a "bad" movie.

The only point I see is "I DON'T FIND THIS PART OF THE NARRATIVE REALISTIC OR PLAUSIBLE SO IT MUST BE SHIT" which is no way a valid argument of a visual medium.

I think you hate the people who enjoyed the movie more than the movie itself, because none of these arguments make it "a shit movie"

>Why are they here?

ANSWER HIM!

Blind?

My normie parents didn't like it.

Not that user, but that whole post is the "I DON'T FIND THIS PART OF THE NARRATIVE REALISTIC OR PLAUSIBLE SO IT MUST BE SHIT" post

Also "boring" and "stupid" are not arguments

That was a fantastic film. Best sci-fi film in recent memory.

Arrival makes Interstellar look like Lost in Space.

>I can suspense my disbelief if the movie or whatever is not solely focused on a concept that does not make any sense, but only uses it as a tool/element to tell its story. which is the case for most of the fantasy/sci-fi movies/shows/books. But, Arrival is not that. Arrival is like if Back to the Future was about how to travel in time.

I even wrote this part in the end so people would not reply shit like this...

kill yourself

this senpai. i just don't like the time travel bait

But that part is factually wrong.

Like this user said , the ayylmaos and the science are just plot devices or the setting for the actual narrative of Amy Adams character relationship with life/death and embracing every waking moment of it.
It isn't a movie about aliens and science. The story doesn’t work without the mother-daughter relationship, that is the core of it all.

Also for the last time, there is no time travel in the movie.

Threads like these are started by Nolan plebs who think science fiction was ever supposed to be about

>DUDE SPACE LMAO
>WOAHHHH LOOK AT THIS CRAZY PLANET!!! AHHH SO SICK
>BRO TIME DIALATION!! THIS IS NUTS!! AHH!!!!

Great sci-fi movies, with 2001 being the only exception, use a science fiction backdrop to help tell a human story. Blade Runner, Children of Men, Planet of the Apes, Sunshine, Moon, Solaris, Eternal Sunshine, Upstream Color. They all do this.

You fucking Marvel faggots just want DUDE CRAZY SPACE STUFF. I suggest you watch

>Gravity
>Interstellar
>Armageddon
>The Martian
>Avatar

These may be more your speed.

>it's not hard sci-fi, it's just boring
The message itself turned out to be very generic and I would've loved if they just did one thing interestingly.

bc liberal values and feels inducing
in other words pompous shit for unrealistically thinking "adults"

>the martian
>"I'm gonna science the shit out of this"

Who writes this crap? What audience is this supposed to appeal to?

Modern (((((scifi))))) is nothing but garbage

That's my point.

Starting to lose faith in Sup Forums with the borderline retarded criticism of Arrival going around.

>got very excited with his own wisdom
>make a new thread copy-pasting
Hope you enjoyed all those yous, faggot

It's supposed to appeal to redditors and /r/atheism mongrels.

Uusally people who don't get their pants twisted because of humorous lines. So, not the autists on Sup Forums screaming reddit and memes to anything

Arrivalfags BTFO

youtube.com/watch?v=z79pHWwtNHY

>black people hate a film about being a good parent

kek

That's what it takes for you?
I wish this place was only borderline retarded

Best answer you will get in this thread:

Because of the reviews.

Most people will understand once reading this: This thing is to movies what Bioshock Infinite is to video games.

This post made me puke, even if it may not have been serious.

My favorite post.

What the fuck? That's not even remotely true you gigasperg

Infinite is a shitty meme game pushed in the 2013 "death of videogames" year of aids, with a passable visual novel story constantly interrupted by senseless, narrative-game discrepancy boring ass casual console shitrepetetive SHIT gameplay.

Arrival is a good, if flawed movie about alien arrival and time/determinism/death which does a few things really well. Fucking off yourself.

/thread

There are no arguments besides "it's not realistic!" and "you are reddit/imdb"

It is almost like it is a made up story in which fantastical elements are used to convey a meaning other than the literal.

Arrivalmongs will never admit their flick was complete trash.

I can tell that you said the same (positive) thing about Infinite when it came out as you did about Arrival now.

APOLOGIZE TO NOLAN RIGHT FUCKING NOW

(You)

/thread

In fact, Arrival makes Interstellar look like a masterpiece. And Interstellar was just an empowered plagiarism of Space Odyssey combined with Lost in Space. Not a single original thought in it either.

>this projection
Infinite is shit and not comparable to a fucking sci-fi movie.

It's nice that there are people like you that bother replying, this avoids other people's replying.
Thank you, I hope myself that he/she will kill him/herself

Do you even realize the imbecility you're trying to say? Of course not

I miss when Arrival threads were good, now it's full of baiters and retards

What was the Heptapod's tax policy like?

>8.2/10 on IMDb
>94% on RT, certified fresh
>98% on RT from top critics
>83% audience approval on RT
>81% Metascore
>Grossed nearly quadruple its production budget
>Nominated for 8 Oscars including Best Picture
>Sup Forums says it's shit

Really fires up the old neurons

Very much for that: Success = contrarianism.

Same old Sup Forums

>comparing interstellar with gravity, martian
>comparing these movies with armageddon, avatar
pleb

Where is Contact?