This show is so ridiculously cheesy, schmaltzy, and feelgoody...

This show is so ridiculously cheesy, schmaltzy, and feelgoody. Sorkin's rapid fire everyone-is-witty dialogue gives Whedon a run for his money.

So why do I love The West Wing so much? Should I feel dirty?

>So why do I love The West Wing so much?
For precisely the reasons you listed above. It's a well-written, feel-good show. I remember a Sorkin quote about the concept of the West Wing, something like 'people who are really good at their jobs'. It's fun to watch people who are really good at their jobs.

>Should I feel dirty?
No, of course not

John Hoynes a shit

Was the schmaltz perceived as such when the show had initially come out? Or is that just postmodern cynicism that causes me to roll me eyes at a room full of professional politicians chiming off in a circle: "I serve at the pleasure of the President" as a majestic score swells in the background?

So I don't think I ever understood why Hoynes was put on the ticket. Was that just for party solidarity? Because he seems to do jack shit as VP except when the plot needs him to.

>So I don't think I ever understood why Hoynes was put on the ticket.
It was triangulation; an effort to win voters that the presidential candidate wouldn't have been able to get (in this case, slightly more conservative voters). It's pretty standard with VP picks.

As for the schmaltz? I think it was remarked on at the time, I'm not sure. What I do know for sure is that the idealistic liberal politics were discussed; the show was nicknamed 'The Left Wing' by many

I wanna marry Donnatella

t. Josh

sportsnight is better and sorkin a shit

I think most of my confusion stems from how antagonistic he is with Bartlet and his cabinet. Like, there doesn't even seem to be any effort to maintain appearances. The VP kinda just fucks off and broods while the rest of the administration does whatever they want.

good taste

Ainsley was a near second too.

Fuck I might rewatch the show now.

Going through the show atm and just hit S2. Ainsley's introduction is hilarious if only for her two nameless goons who are laughably malicious Republican caricatures.

Amy was hot as fuck though even if she was kind of a bitch. And deaf lady. Fuck, for a balding dude, Josh pulled some pretty hot girls

Yeah, I think half of it is ideological differences and half of it is just personalities clashing

Dunno if you've finished the series but isnt it revealed that Hoynes tried to fuck over Bartlet in the primaries and steal the nomination?

Hoynes pulled Texas and a lot of the votes that Bartlet wouldn't have been able to get during the campaign. They mention a couple of times that they were never going to win Texas and needed Hoynes for it.

that high hairline / widows peak and killer wit combo slays pussy

see: Roger Sterling

>Please oh please don't let them be watching this...
>scene cut
>Toby come quick, Sam's getting his ass kicked by a girl!
>Ginger, get me some popcorn!

Second season of West Wing is still one of my favourite TV seasons of anything.

It definitely had a very strong start. The fallout from the shooting created a lot of great character moments. Bartlet's somber line to Toby of "We witnessed a lynching" hit me harder than I thought it would.

For a wacky, feelgood, nigh-slapstick portrayal of The White House, the show had the capacity to be very real and grounded. I'm honestly still amazed it was able to juggle both those aspects rather well.

>Donna taking charge of Josh's recovery and dictating when people are allowed to talk to him, what he eats, what work he's allowed to do, and when he's even allowed to leave his house

Truly best girl.

All the seasons started so well. In the Shadow of Two Gunmen, the flashbacks to the early campaign in Manchester, the fish-out-of-water hijinks of Toby and Josh in rural Indiana in Twenty Hours in America ...

Yeah, I remember reading an article talking about how West Wing is how the left establishment sees themselves and their opposition.

As far as I remember the VP was planning on running as a president and was preemptively trying to distance himself from Bartlet.

Even in West Wing though, not all the Republicans were "bad". A lot of them were good people, just with different opinions.

He also knew Bartlet had MS and didn't expect him to be around for a second term.

All of them were essentially people who wanted to better the lives of ordinary people, but disagreed about how to do it. Which, despite evidence to the contrary, is still how I view most politicians