Song to Song - Terrence Malick

Hope this one is as good as Knight of Cups. Odd Fassbender received top billing. Figured it was a Gosling film all the way. Fingers crossed Val Kilmer's crazy on stage chainsaw hair cutting scene made the cut.

no T-Mack fans on right now? film was shot like 5 years ago and finally sees the light of day. that doesn't really bode well, even by Malick standards.

Thats official poster?

> that meme cast

When is it out?

I saw a test screening of this. It moves even further into self parody territory than Knight of Cups so if you liked that you'll probably like this. The Val Kilmer stuff is there but takes up all of maybe 25 - 30 seconds of a two and a half hour movie. Kilmer doesn't have dialogue.

>5 years ago and finally sees the light of day. that doesn't really bode well, even by Malick standards.

Maybe he just couldn't decide what non-story to cut his random footage into.

Again.

Must be interesting for the actors having no clue who will star or what role they will have in the end.

I like Terrence Malick but he should stop listening to Green Day, they clearly melted his mind

So how are the perfomances? Did you like it? Why yes/not?

yes.

next month in some Euro countries. April or May in the States, from what i've read.

the latest cut is 2 hours. also, i don't understand the self-parody comment. it's a style. i thought it worked well in Tree of Life and Knight of Cups. I couldn't get into To the Wonder.

fuck yes. The best director alive does it again

It's so hard to make any sort of judgment on them because the movie is just meandering nonsense. Goose is pretty decent, but Mara just spends most of the movie looking sullen and conflicted about fucking Fassbender. The dialogue is mixed really low too, so everyone sounds mumbly and it's offset with these self important voice overs about nothing in particular.

I didn't like it because it has nothing to say, nothing to convey, and just feels like Malick fucking around Austin filming whatever he can and mashing it all together. There's no real plot, it's just people wandering around talking about how vapid life is. Patti Smith, Johnny Rotten and Iggy Pop all have cameos, Smith more than anyone, and it gave me the impression that Malick wanted to hang out around SXSW and this is what came of it. If that's what he wants to do then fine, but let's not pretend it's anything more than that.

has it pretty much right. A non-story of random footage.

>meandering nonsense
are you of the opinion his other films were also meandering nonsense or this one in particular? just trying to gauge your perspective.

I felt Knight of Cups was too.

>The dialogue is mixed really low too, so everyone sounds mumbly and it's offset with these self important voice overs about nothing in particular.
I hope it gets a disclaimer at the beginning like Knight of Cups that it has to be played loud

Is Hershlag his muse now?

Everything before To the Wonder was amazing, now apparently this is more of the same bullshit. What happened?

To the Wonder and KoC are arguably his best

Your mind couldn't comprehend actual kinography

They probably bonded over Harvard stuff

Sorry to hear that about Roon - even more sorry is this question: is there a discernible plot, or is it a floating camera and some narration?

>is there a discernible plot, or is it a floating camera and some narration?

Buy a ticket for Avengers 4 instead, it should be easy enough to follow.

That hurts user, it really hurts.

okay, so latter Malick is not for you. i like when films aren't confined to three-act structures and experiment with style and narrative. one question: are there any overt religious elements to the film?

i don't think Wonder reached the same heights as any of his previous films. while it did have beautiful cinematography, i wouldn't say it was anywhere near Malick's best effort. i do think everything worked on Cups, though.

Poster makes it look like a High Fidelity sequel

it really does. i'm not fond of the poster, as it harkens back weird memories of my youth. funny how they nearly hide Malick's name. he's not really a box office draw.

not to mention how the Knight of Cups posters were quite unique. the dvd cover, however....

>Shitting out the same garbage 3 times in a row
How does he do it?

He's pure, white and Christian.

because he aint no pussy and kicks ass. proof:

>“Lou Stroller made some comment about Mrs. Malick, and Terry was not having it, and beat the hell out of him. In true Texas style—he was so Texas. Didn’t even hesitate, just started swinging,” Martin Sheen recalls. “They were down like two buffalo—they were big guys—and they were on the ground, rolling around, and Terry just whupped him. Oh, I acted outraged—’What a breakdown of discipline, this fighting on the set!’—but I couldn’t have been prouder of him. Can you imagine? If more directors would beat up their producers, we’d have a lot more artistic freedom.

>they were big guys
For whom?

This.

1. "To the Wonder".
2. "Knight of Cups".
3. "The New World".
4. "The Thin Red Line".
5. "The Tree of Life".
6. "Days of Heaven".
7. "Badlands".

>To the Wonder resembles another chapter out of Malick’s life. The male lead (Ben Affleck), named Neil, is an American man who, while in Paris, falls in love with a French woman (Olga Kurylenko) named Marina, the mother of a young daughter (Tatiana Chiline). When the three move to America, Marina has a hard time adjusting. The two grow apart, and in voice-over Marina says something like (I’m paraphrasing, the line is not in my notes), “Where does he go?” All of these details parallel what we know about Malick’s second marriage:

>"One day in 1980 or 1981, Malick’s landlord introduced him to Michèle, a tall, thirtysomething blonde Parisienne who lived in the same building. She had a young daughter, Alexandra. … In a year or two, the trio moved to Austin, Texas. … Michèle did her best to adapt to Austin. … But she was out of her element. … Malick would often just leave, for hours, days, or weeks. She never knew where he went, and it made her crazy."

>Eventually Marina returns to Paris, just as Michèle did. While she’s away, Neil takes up with a woman he knew in his youth (Rachel McAdams). At this point in Malick’s life, he married his high school sweetheart, Alexandra “Ecky” Wallace, to whom he’s apparently still married.

seems like everyone has a different list of best Malick films. mine:

The Thin Red Line
The Tree of Life
Days of Heaven
Knight of Cups
The New World
Badlands
To the Wonder

love them all except To the Wonder. i haven't seen Voyage of Time yet and look forward to it.

yeah, The Tree of Life, To the Wonder, Knight of Cups, and most likely Song to Song are all autobiographical films, or more like memoirs,with lots of leeway for improv. Song to Song seems like an ode to is brother, who was a musician.

I only "love" "To the Wonder", "Knight of Cups", and "The New World".

To the Wonder does nothing for me. don't know why. Bardem's plight is beyond me and the relationship between Affleck and Olga, and Rachel, doesn't hit home. funny how the ones in Knight of Cups ring more true for me from my experience. anyways, hope Song to Song, which was filmed right after Cups, is more of the same. a Malick film is always an event for me.