The Young Pope made me cry like a bitch

>that Steven Spielberg golden light comes streaming in the window
>Billy's mother sits up in the bed
>snort with laughter because it's a corny scene
>unexpectedly, tears come out instead
>holy shit, I'm actually crying
>think about the time when I was 6 that I really did pray like this, for my dad to survive, but he didn't
>Realize that my instinct to mock "corniness" is a defense mechanism, that the things I label as "corny" are usually things I desperately wish could be true
Honestly this whole series is beyond "good television." It's HBO

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/oecHq2neweA
tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Series/TheYoungPope
nymag.com/thecut/2017/01/young-pope-worst-thing-recap-ep-one.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>thst scene where Lenny prays infront of the trucks and God kills the corrupt lesbian nun

Kino

bump, I can't be the only one who just got wrecked by that scene

Literally watched this yesterday and cried

The one were Spencer died is the one that got me

The dad's face when she sits up

The love letters got me, too. Episode 9 was pretty much perfect. I also really liked the New York scenes

Top crying scene was Lenny's eulogy in the pool, followed by . But a third I've only seen myself mention is Sister Mary playing with the kids in Africa, the only person not listening to Lenny and the only one who has found happiness. It's rare to actually cry tears of joy for someone but I did

We all did friendo, we all did...

That was in the montage during his final speech, right? I have to re-watch episode 10, to be honest I feel like I didn't really "get" that speech or the ending in general.

>Realize that my instinct to mock "corniness" is a defense mechanism, that the things I label as "corny" are usually things I desperately wish could be true
You're on to something here. It's a powerful moment when something makes me break out of my usual post-ironic perpetually cynical mindset

This whole show kinda walks right on that line for me. It's full of moments that SHOULD feel manipulative or overly sentimental, but on first viewing... it all completely worked on me. They kind of address it in the last episode with that dream-conversation about how "banal platitudes" and cliches are often true.

Sorrentino really went all-in on this in a way that most writers/filmmakers would be afraid or embarrassed to do. I haven't seen any of his films yet, but plan to do so immediately

i was surprised at how well they concealed Lenny's saintly nature up until the last two episodes

it was an incredible work of storytelling sleight of hand

Feel with me now, brothers and sisters. Take solace in His love and mystery.

youtu.be/oecHq2neweA

>You'll say it!
>You'll say it!
>You'll say it!
>You'll say it!
>You'll say it!
>fumbling with lighter intensifies
seriously, what did he mean by this?

He wanted Lenny to swallow his pride and ask to bum his lighter already.

that now that he was matured and found a new vigor he wouldn't hide anymore and will want to tell it to everyone

I assumed it was foreshadowing for him showing his face to the world

Prepare to rage Sup Forums

tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Series/TheYoungPope

according to them everything is a trope

i thought abe vigoda was dead

>It’s hard to choose which part of HBO’s The Young Pope I dislike most, so in a column called Young Nope, I share the worst thing from that week’s episode.
>by Dayna Evans
nymag.com/thecut/2017/01/young-pope-worst-thing-recap-ep-one.html

>A young priest commits suicide after being denied an audience by the pope.
>Lenny states that anyone who calls him a saint doesn't know him very well.
Really trusting this guy's viewing comprehension.
Also:
>For a person like Lenny to exist at all, Vatican II would have to never happen. He is simply too young to adhere to things that were already outdated in Church teaching before he was born regarding the papacy and Church administration.
Somehow this person knows what Vatican II is but doesn't know that a lot of catholics, including younger catholics, think it was a mistake. Lenny indirectly addresses the council specifically when he says "everything that was wide open is gonna be closed", recalling John XXIII opening the council stating that he was opening the windows of the church.

I agree with most of these.

Not anymore