/lang/

>What language are you learning?
>Share language learning experiences!
>Help people who want to learn a new language!
>Find people to train your language with!

Check the first few replies ITT for plenty of language resources as well as some nice image guides. /lang/ is currently short on those image guides, so if you can pitch in to help create one for a given language, don't hesitate to do so!

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/The_Official_Sup
duolingo.com/
drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9QDHej9UGAdcDhWVEllMzJBSEk#
fsi-languages.yojik.eu/languages/oldfsi/index.html
memrise.com/
lingvist.com/
clozemaster.com/languages
tatoeba.org/eng/
forvo.com
effectivelanguagelearning.com/language-guide/language-difficulty
lexicity.com/
cosmogyros.tumblr.com/post/108962232110/huge-new-language-learning-collection
dliflc.edu/resources/products/
en.childrenslibrary.org
hellotalk.com/#en
italki.com/
mylanguageexchange.com/
interpals.net/
gospeaky.net/
speaky.com/
polyglotclub.com/
lang-8.com/
goethe-verlag.com/
languagetransfer.org/
babadum.com
context.reverso.net/translation/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Language learning resources:
4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/The_Official_Sup Forums_How_to_Learn_A_Foreign_Language_Guide_Wiki

duolingo.com/
>Duolingo is a free language-learning platform that includes a language-learning website and app, as well as a digital language proficiency assessment exam. Duolingo offers all its language courses free of charge.
>Torrents with more resources than you'll ever need for 30+ languages.

drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9QDHej9UGAdcDhWVEllMzJBSEk#
>Google Drive folder with books for all kinds of languages.

fsi-languages.yojik.eu/languages/oldfsi/index.html
>Drill based courses with text and audio.The Foreign Service Institute (FSI) is the United States federal government's primary training institution for employees of the U.S. foreign affairs community.These courses are all in public domain and free to download.Site may go down sometimes but you can search for fsi on google and easily find a mirror.

memrise.com/
>Free resource to learn vocabulary, nice flash cards.

lingvist.com/
>It's kinda like Clozemaster in the sense that you get a sentence and have to fill in the missing word, also has nice statistics about your progress, grammar tips and more information about a word (noun gender, verb aspects for Russian, etc.)

ankisrs.net/
>A flash card program

clozemaster.com/languages
>Clozemaster is language learning gamification through mass exposure to vocabulary in context.Can be a great supplementary tool, not recommended for absolute beginners.

tatoeba.org/eng/
>Tatoeba is a collection of sentences and translations with over 300 hundred languages to chose from.

radio.garden/
>Listen to radio all around the world through an interactive globe

forvo.com
>Has pronunciation for lots of words in lots of languages

effectivelanguagelearning.com/language-guide/language-difficulty
>Check out information about languages and their difficulties

lexicity.com/
>An invaluable resource for comparative language study as well as those interested in ancient languages

cosmogyros.tumblr.com/post/108962232110/huge-new-language-learning-collection
>A very extensive language learning collection for 90+ languages.

dliflc.edu/resources/products/
>Similar to FSI, drill-based courses with text and audio issued by the US government.These courses were made for millitary personel in mind unlike FSI.

en.childrenslibrary.org
>Lots of childrens books in various languages, categories 3-5yo, 6-9yo, 10-13yo.

hellotalk.com/#en
>The app is basically whatsapp, but only connects you with people who are native in the language you are trying to learn. It also has a facebook type section where you can share pics and stuff too.

italki.com/
mylanguageexchange.com/
interpals.net/
gospeaky.net/
speaky.com/
polyglotclub.com/
lang-8.com/
>Few more language exchange communities like Hellotalk:

goethe-verlag.com/
>A mostly free site which offers audio and drill like exercises for 40+ languages.

languagetransfer.org/
>A free resource with recordings to learn a language.

babadum.com
>Flash card game with a focus on vocabulary.

context.reverso.net/translation/
>A website like Tatoeba (also has a Firefox extension!)

hvordan kan jeg praktisere mit dansk/blandinaviskt?
er noge gode tv-shower frå skandinavia?

>tfw first time creating a general

I'm gonna take this opportunity to ask if anyone has found any good German music. Oh and you can't just say Rammstein.

Fucking hate the Intermediate plateau. I feel like my comprehension and output of French isn't improving.

I need a book to learn Visayan / Cebuano quick.

Does anyone have something?

>dliflc.edu/resources/products/

> Requirements: Web browser, Flash Player 9+

What kind of cancer is this.

Is it available in another format?

I'm looking to try and learn German and French at the same time. Any suggestions for that in terms of how to go at it, or would you suggest just picking one first till a proper level and then the next?

Tocotronic
90s-00s

Kolossale jugend
80s-90s

Both rock/hamburg schule

Kig efter en serie som hedder "Broen", det er en dansk-svensk krimiserie som er ret god.

Starting Russian again tomorrow lads, wish me luck.

For "I only know him a little" is it:
>Sólo lo conozco un poco
or
>Sólo le conozco un poco
?

I think it should be lo, but translators say otherwise. I mean "I know him" should be lead to a direct object pronoun used.

Do one at a time. Doing two at once is going to cause a lot of confusion.

Conocer always takes an indirect object.

>Conozco a él.

Él in the dative is le, not lo, hence:

>Le conozco.

Advice for learning Russian for somebody who has learnt languages before?

You can do two languages at a time, that's reasonable. Just be organized, come up with a plan on how to effectively manage your time and weight things accordingly (how much time to spend on reading, writing, speaking, listening etc.)

Thank you.

How many languages could someone realistically learn in their lifetime to a B2 level? 10-15?

depends on how you count it
if you count swedish danish and norwegian as 3 different languages then a lot more than if you decide that sort of stuff doesn't count

bump

Eisbrecher is Rammstein but way better. Anyway, the aforementioned, Megaherz, Kraftwerk, Melotron, Sturm Cafe (Swedish but German lyrics), Unheilig etc.

I'm in the same boat with German.

Speaking of which, is there a rule regarding letters obtaining umlauts in verbs in certain forms? E.g. Fahren becoming Faehrst/Faehrt

Good luck!

i speak 4 foreign language and learning a fifth
I do forget stuff, though... sometimes even very important stuff, not just a word or two
I wish I was living in Belgium or Luxembourg, so I could make use of the languages I know

How the fuck do I practice translating complete sentences from English to German with the correct translations of both available to check my work?

I'm attempting to better understand the complex system of waggles and strutting my girls use to communicate vital information such as the location of pollen. I'll never be able to speak it, I guess, but maybe I'll be able to watch and see what all the "buzz" is about!
Try watching German media with an English translation available. It won't be 1:1, but it will be better than nothing.

Could work, I guess I'd pause, read the English subtitles, translate it then listen to see if I was correct. I need to improve my vocal comprehension anyway
captcha: schuhe 1100

Forgot pic

since I started learning German I'm getting a lot of German words ac captcha

Apply as much experience as you can.

Same, can't tell you many times I've had "Straße" for obvious reasons

Your knowledge degrades, you have to maintain it, at some point you don't have any time to do anything else. So realistically, 7.

>What language are you learning?
None. I'm making a conlang.

Le français maintenant

Cependent.. I was thinking about learning Svenska because I'm dating a cute Swedish-Canadian girl right now and it sounds so fucking good when she says whatever few words her father taught her..

Continually being encouraged and discouraged to study German.

Some days I can get a few sentences out without struggling too much, so i feel like im getting somewhere and then I want to study more. But then i'll listen to my coworkers speak and realize just how much is left to learn and it feels so daunting and like I wont be able to get to a decently communicative level by the time I leave Switzerland so I kinda just stop putting effort into studying

This shit is like a rollercoaster, I just wanna gitgud

Bump

I can understand this without needing translation.
Anyway, Trapped is a good Icelandic series.

Is it worth buying textbooks/workbooks?

If you aren't comfortable with learning on a computer and its dangers of distraction, sure.