/lang/ language learning

You expect me to post all that shit? edition

>What language are you learning?
>Share language learning experiences!
>Help people who want to learn a new language!
>Find people to train your language with!

Check pastebin punto com slash 09urW8Sv for plenty of language resources as well as some nice image guides. /lang/ is currently short on those image guides, so if you can pitch in to help create one for a given language, don't hesitate to do so!

Other urls found in this thread:

i.imgur.com/GaPEIBr.png
i.imgur.com/zAN5eMU.png
i.imgur.com/thYqRE9.png
i.imgur.com/UpCEFWl.png
i.imgur.com/ZTrFFlB.png
i.imgur.com/CzpgmUP.png
i.imgur.com/Ur8PzMZ.png
i.imgur.com/InA8n4n.png
i.imgur.com/mNvOu9i.png
i.imgur.com/zhwCKlo.png
i.imgur.com/AKboS8t.jpg
i.imgur.com/IQW5sKT.png
i.imgur.com/zjjjxct.png
i.imgur.com/IgPQdj8.jpg
sites.google.com/site/scienceandmathguide/subjects/languages
thepiratebay.org/torrent/6552222/Portuguese_Language_Learning_Pack_(Updated_And_Expanded)
thepiratebay.org/torrent/4125646/Pimsleur_Portuguese_Levels_I__II__III_(Complete)_[MP3]
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>tfw austrian qt on hellotalk has the cutest accent and giggles a lot in voice messages

i cant handle it

I have the same experience but with a peruvian girl. I Think I am in love

I want to learn swedish and go to your country. I love the cold.

Why are international qts so endearing ;_;

Just watched an episode of easy swedish because I forgot what it sounded like.

How easy do you think Swedish would be to learn if you know German?

>still can't pronounce the spanish rr sound after months of studying
there is no greater hell

where the FUCK is the sticky?

do a vocaroo plz
ur ass is sticky lol

>ur ass is sticky lol
xD Nice joke Texas!

Does anyone have the copypasta with all the languages and how to learn them? Looking for the Russian imagur link

>Arabic
i.imgur.com/GaPEIBr.png

>Farsi
i.imgur.com/zAN5eMU.png

>Finnish
i.imgur.com/thYqRE9.png

>French
i.imgur.com/UpCEFWl.png

>German
i.imgur.com/ZTrFFlB.png
i.imgur.com/CzpgmUP.png

>Japanese
i.imgur.com/Ur8PzMZ.png
i.imgur.com/InA8n4n.png

>Mandarin (traditional characters)
i.imgur.com/mNvOu9i.png

>Russian
i.imgur.com/zhwCKlo.png

>Spanish
i.imgur.com/AKboS8t.jpg
i.imgur.com/IQW5sKT.png

>Swedish
i.imgur.com/zjjjxct.png

>Turkish
i.imgur.com/IgPQdj8.jpg

thanks brah

Does anybody have the link to the russian ultimate language pack?

Also, does anybody have any advice for somebody just starting Russian?

sites.google.com/site/scienceandmathguide/subjects/languages

look at the DOWNLOADS section my brainlet friend, in case you didn't know, you can find that link at the pinned thread for the /sci/ board.

You'll find all of the Language Learning packs there.

I'm four and a half months in and feel like I haven't made enough progress. I hope it starts to click.

Much appreciated

What language

Spanish. I'm retarded.

4 months is nothing.

boink

Is anyone else here currently living in the country of the language their learning? What's your OG cunt?

>Yes
>Canadia

Before I lived in glorious nippon for a year
I cant get away from red and white flags

Anything to recommend for German reading practice. I've been reading the newspaper and some wiki articles so far.

Might do some study abroad the year or next. It's cheaper to go to some locations than my uni for some reason. How has living in Switzerland helped you?

What would you guys consider the best starting point for the main romance languages? I was thinking Portuguese since it shares a lot of sounds with pretty much all the other romance languages.

American uni is stupid expensive.

Japan was more helpful for learning, but the situation was different.
For Japan I was doing a study abroad, so I was able to use it every day all day. Plus it's Japan, so not many people could speak English well, so it really forced me to use it which was nice.

Switzerland is a little harder because 1) im working and 2) everyone speaks English really well and would rather speak English (especially for work since using German would risk misunderstandings), so it's a little harder to have regular conversations in German with people. I still get to practice listening to people, which really helps me personally. I listen and imitate.
That's not to say that I haven't been getting practice, it's just less readily available than it was in Japan. Yesterday I was talking in German with a coworker during lunch, so that was nice. It helps to motivate me to study when I know that i'll actually be able to use it.

Why'd you choose Switzerland to learn German?

Are you not doing study abroad in Switzerland? Are you in a major city?

It's more that I chose to learn German because I was going to Switzerland. My uni in Canada really stresses internships (we call them co-op jobs, not really sure why) and I happened to land a job here. I don't like being 'that foreigner' that doesn't speak any of the language of the country im living in (plus things get lonely like that), and I wanna be able to really integrate here and be independent.

Nah, see above. I'm like a 10 minute train ride away from Zürich city center, so it's pretty prefect in terms of location. Although after looking into it, I'm considering ETH Zürich for grad school

Yes I'm a Colombian living in Boulangerie, best known as France

pastebin.com/ACEmVqua
>updated OP pastebin with the how to learn languages post

Swedish is very easy if you know English and German.

Score. I've always liked the idea of learning a Nordic language.

I'm currently learning 2 languages:

Spanish and German.

I already know some German but never put any effort in it after I finished it on school years ago. Spanish is something I once started in uni but never got far in it.

How do I learn Spanish?
Duolingo, memrise and screaming along to Spanish metal songs (hijo de la luna from stravaganzza mainly) I also have loads of Spanish speaking guys on my work so I am learning some Spanish swear words on the side as well.

I realize I need some more structure in my Spanish learning after I finish my duolingo tree (still a long way off though) so if some one has some advice it would be much appreciated.

After Spanish? I want to learn Frisian as its the tongue of some of my ancestors. I already understand it as I'm in Frisia often to visit family but never bothered to learn it.

That makes me feel better, thanks.

I'm using Pimsleur for Spanish, you might want to try that out. I think there is also one for German.

While the infographic is quite cool it seems to be made before the age of the internet?

Like half of those separate things can all be covered by simply chatting online with natives. I became fluent in Korean (daily life, not technical topics) within 2 years by doing ~1-2 hours of chatting with natives every single day + daily Anki vocab review, sometimes adding new Anki cards based on words that often came up while chatting. Had 0 experiences with Asian languages beforehand.

There are other inaccuracies too.I doubt you need to spend half your time learning grammar, especiallly past A1-A2 level

I guess it's been made with Anglos in mind who haven't even learnt English grammar as opposed to people like you and me who were taught about grammatical concepts of our own language starting when we were like 9

Crazy right? In their English classes they only do stuff like literature. Explains why they're so awful at learning other languages.

Is there a bigger meme in lingustics than "Chinese is a single language". I mean even the "subdialects" in the single "dialect" are not mutually intelligible.

I know that Hans are always united historically, but the Sinitic languages are just so different from each other.

In Canada, we do grammar and spelling from like age 7/8/9 up to 13 or 14. After that it's mostly literature, sure, but we don't just not learn English grammar (either kids just don't care enough to retain it, or people don't know how to teach it well)

I can't speak for public schools, but the private schools I went to certainly taught me a lot of grammar in addition to the literature. I'm pretty sure public schools teach lots of grammar as well.

Makes sense considering Canada has an entire province that has a different language as their main one.

From what age until what age? Do you get tested on it? Does the SAT test it?

Even if all of that's the case I guess it makes sense that you forget it if you don't seriously learn any foreign languages in middle/high school..

In England they definitely don't (at public schools).

Var det dig jeg skrev med i aftes, om at lære portugisisk? For så gider jeg ikke gentage mig selv. Men ellers må du sige til, er efterhånden flydende - så ved da hvordan man kommer i gang

>has fucking farci but no portuguese
:(

Is viet a single, mutually intelligible language tho'? Serious question, not taking the piss.

Also related to this I've been doing really light portuguese practice for a few months now, but wanna get deeper into it. Anyone have good resources for learning portuguese for someone who only speaks english?

Doesn't matter - we don't wan't portuguese next to all those muslim languages anyway

>tfw meeting with an advisor to add a Russian major to my degree later

I don't recall the age we started learning, probably 6. My grammar school was highly geared toward liberal arts and preparing children to go away to boarding school for high school. SAT does test grammar. Standardized tests are a poor judge though because you can train to do well on them. I mean I got a perfect score on my SAT, but not because I'm brilliant, I had a tutor that taught me how to take the test.

In England they teach no grammar? I find that highly surprisingly. I can't see how that is even possible.

Yes, there're much more varieties than English but less than between Scandinavian North Germanic languages.

What word order is more natural, Spanish speakers?

No he terminado el trabajo todavía
o
Todavía no he terminado el trabajo
?

I'll look into it thanks.

Both are as natural as it can get. I'd say it depends on the way you say it rather than the word order. I'd go for the first one

Allright, thanks for the answer. That will probably be the asian language that I'll settle with.

Thank you

>Is anyone else here currently living in the country of the language their learning?
Yeah

I would recommend starting with the language you're interested the most in.

I did Italian on Duolingo, and I suppose the way it teaches Spanish it's similar. You need to practise the verbs way more in order to learn them.

The easiest (and imo most effective) way to do this is... writing them down. Learn new verbs, write them down in whatever tense you're learning (yo hago, tú haces, él hace...) and try to build sentences with that.

I personally don't like Pimsleur because it teaches the formal forms and they're rarely used irl.

Can someone help me with ы? It seems at best inconsistent

Also what the fuck is its name? I have an old grammar book (from the 60s) and it calls it yerih but my teacher right now just calls it "ooe" (like we but with a drawn out oo)

>I personally don't like Pimsleur because it teaches the formal forms and they're rarely used irl.
This as hell. I think i've only ever heard them say "du" in German Pimsleur once.

Do you think Duolingo could be made a lot more effective if they introduced a short preamble before certain lessons?
Like for example, before you start to do the first verbs lesson, they show you (in point form or something) the conjugation patterns, or adjective endings before you start to do the adjective lesson.

I think they're on the right track with their grammar notes on the PC version, but I feel like they need a little more refining.

What's the best way to learn polish? I'm using rosetta stone at the moment but I was told it wasn't the best method.

Both are OK, I'd say the second

Since you use Rosetta Stone i'm gonna assume you can spend money so i'd recommend buying textbooks and using memrise and clozemaster as supplementary tools.

Pirated it actually but I'll look into those.

German graded readers.
You can find it at piratebay, I think it has more than 80 readers.

Good luck

I'd recommend Spanish simply because it's more widely used than PT, however, you should choose the one you'll stick with and the one that's interesting for you personally.

Spanish is also supposedly easier than French so that's that.

what about Norwegian? same?

Seriously any good resources for Portuguese? Can only really find apps, not near as many resources as for something like Spanish

I'm now officially a double major with Russian and Math. RIP any illusion of a personal life

What does majoring in a language entail? My uni has at max 6 to 8 courses for a given language, not nearly enough for a major (nor a minor, I think my school only does certificates for languages)

have you tried the language learning pack?
Rosetta Stone is available too...

thepiratebay.org/torrent/6552222/Portuguese_Language_Learning_Pack_(Updated_And_Expanded)

thepiratebay.org/torrent/4125646/Pimsleur_Portuguese_Levels_I__II__III_(Complete)_[MP3]

Thanks mate (s)

That's for European Portuguese (I assume that's the one you want to learn).

No need to thank me.

the nordic lingos are even closer than the iberian ones so yes

Tbh I wanted to learn Brazilian, but if this is all I can get it's still a huge help. The two dialects aren't hugely different, anyways, r-right?

What is the most indepth language app? Is there any single app that can you past beginner level?

Depends on the language, but yes

What languages?

If both sides strictly follow the grammatical rules (no slangs whatsoever) it's the same language.
There are some minor lexical (word's meaning) and spelling differences here and there, but thats it desu

If you master one I'm pretty sure you'll be able to understand 90% of the other.

At least that's my perspective as a Native.
Of course there are different expressions, idioms, words and regionalisms but you'll be able to conquer those I'm sure.

I also think it's better for you to learn European Portuguese because probably more people see it as a ''sophisticated'' version of our Portuguese... I don't know, it probably looks better on a resumé if you want to go to Europe.

Although it's likely you'd find more media from Brazilian Portuguese.

Our soap operas are known world-wide for some reason, I never enjoyed them, personally.

I always wondered how much can you understand of Portuguese and Spanish?

I cannot understand 80% of what I read in Romanian, maybe even more.

>nor a minor
What the fuck is a minor there? For me it's 4 years (i.e. 8 classes) purely of the language with some electives (I'm doing a pronunciation class and a couple linguistics-y ones) for the class with GEs

Yeah, thought so.
Though honestly I'd rather learn brazilian as there tends to be more people online who I could practice/speak with in it (actually have a friend from brazil who's been helping me a bit )
Guess iberian portuguese might be seen as more 'refined' by alot of people.

>For me
For my major

it kinda goes up for romanians
maybe like 20-30%
the very obvious latin bits
you have people familiar with basic spanish vocab here
cant say much about portugues, only that its less understandable than spanish
spanish music is very popular here
some singers sing in spanish now and then

I need to do like 11 classes for my chemistry minor ;_; my school is extra as hell though, it's easier to get a minor at other schools from what I understand.

Also just searched it. You can do a french minor with 8 courses (cause french is special in Canada), but any other "language minor" is more of a "culture minor". By that I mean, for example, a Russian minor is actually a "Russian and Eastern European Studies minor", so you'd have to do history and political science classes as well. Actually, most of your courses would be history/polisci. You only need two russian language courses.

Minoring in a language seems like a waste of money to me considering all the tools available to learn another language. I guess if college is free maybe not.

If you have someone to practice with and you're more interested in BR PT then go with that, as you're more likely to succeed.

Boa sorte com seus estudos, user.

Out of curiosity - is it stated on your certificate/degree that you have taken a minor in X language?

If so I can see why people would do that, as it adds value to your resumé.

''Minors'' aren't really a thing here...

Iberian Portuguese may sound more refined indeed, but we also have great works of literature.

Some examples

Machado De Assis, Guimarães Rosa, Jorge Amado, Graciliano Ramos, Carlos Drummond de Andrade, Vinicius de Moraes, Ferreira Gullar.

I'm not that other user, but I majored in mechanical engineering with a minor in composite engineering, though. I have two separate pieces of paper (that I have probably lost). One for the minor, one for the major. Yes, minors do look good and a lot of times the prereqs overlap with your major where it isn't all that much more work.

I couldn't say for sure, but you'd either get a separate paper, or it could just say "with a minor in ____" under the major. It definitely serves as a good "official" indication of language ability I think.

>a lot of times the prereqs overlap with your major
I wish a bitch would, i only have about 2 courses of overlap between my major and my minor ;_;

Damn, sorry to hear that. I had to just take the composite material courses (which I wanted to take anyways) but all the prereqs like the math and strength of material stuff was already in my major. I guess it just depends what you do. I mean if I had done a major in engineering and a minor in Spanish that likely wouldn't have been the case.

How do you compare education in Switzerland to Canada? Do you plan on staying in Europe?

I see, thanks for the information.
Isn't engineering as a whole a bit bloated right now in the States? Almost every american guy I talk to seems to have majored in Engineering.

It also doesn't help that job ads I see always require a lot of work experience.

Yeah, I'm doing it to myself though lol. I enjoy it so it's not as bad. Still, a little less stress would be nice

I can't speak to that at all, since I'm not in school here. But it (especially ETH Zurich) has a reputation of being very good, so im thinking about doing grad school here.

If you don't mind me asking, which country did you like more, Japan or Switzerland?

Could you also elaborate a bit on your experiences in both countries?

I've visited Zürich and Zermatt but only for a very shrot time, I noticed that Swiss people seemed much less open than Germans for example, but that may be due to me being there simply as a tourist.

>Isn't engineering as a whole a bit bloated right now in the States? Almost every american guy I talk to seems to have majored in Engineering.
Not as bad as tech. I'm 31 so maybe a bit ahead of the game. I have a great job and racking up experience.

>It also doesn't help that job ads I see always require a lot of work experience.
I don't know, you need to be willing to work the grind for sure and prove yourself. Once some companies figure out that you are useful, then you can start doing rewarding work and getting rewarded properly for it.

Unlike tech, it isn't ruled by millennials, so you have to have a different work ethic I think. I'm technically a millennial but had no where near the sense of entitlement the newbs I see coming out of school now seem to have. They'll be in for a rude awakening I think.

I see.
Are you happy with your field in the USA?
Do you wish to work in another country in the future?

I suppose Germany would be a nice place for Mechanical Engineers.